Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Sitting on a heating pad, waiting for pain meds to kick in so I can participate in a walking event today. I don't want to let my daughter and friends down so I'm going for it but it is going to be the slowest walk ever lol.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, tires are more expensive than they used to be! Thank yevo I don't drive a truck any more.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Just came back from the hospital, my dad was ambulance'd there from the house after his ladder broke out from under him (the fucking thing was as old as me) and he dropped about 4-5 feet onto his back, rolled into the garage door and tweaked his neck and wrist (wrist was swollen, hopefully not fractured/broken though). They're just now getting to xrays and whatnot so we don't know if anything's broken, but the last thing he needs is another back problem. Sitting at home now while my mom's at the hospital, didn't want my brother to see a busted ladder and assume the worst.

Starting pull myself out of the depression. This was a long one (probably over a week and a half). My doctor gave me two weeks off from work. Not sure if I'll need all two weeks, but we'll see. Going to try applying to other jobs in the meantime. Have a meeting with a therapist on Tuesday, and my doctor is also setting me up with another one in his office.

I also might join the local gym. I'm not sure. I haven't been consistent with my yoga and maybe getting out of the house to exercise would help.

The whine thread probably isn't the best place to post about something positive, but I guess I'm not 100% back to normal, anyway.

Just came back from the hospital, my dad was ambulance'd there from the house after his ladder broke out from under him (the fucking thing was as old as me) and he dropped about 4-5 feet onto his back, rolled into the garage door and tweaked his neck and wrist (wrist was swollen, hopefully not fractured/broken though). They're just now getting to xrays and whatnot so we don't know if anything's broken, but the last thing he needs is another back problem. Sitting at home now while my mom's at the hospital, didn't want my brother to see a busted ladder and assume the worst.
Hairline fracture in his wrist, compression fracture in his back. Has to stay at least overnight. Hopefully he'll be feeling fine at the end of the month, he and my mom were supposed to go on vacation to Georgia.

Here's a proper whine:

I can't sleep. Keep tossing back and forth but can't sleep. Worse, I planned on going to a yoga class in the morning. Won't get enough sleep to do that, now.

Here's a proper whine:

I can't sleep. Keep tossing back and forth but can't sleep. Worse, I planned on going to a yoga class in the morning. Won't get enough sleep to do that, now.
I'm having the opposite problem. I laid down at 5:30 "just for a moment" and now it's 11.

--Patrick

It's 2:30 am here and I'm wide wake...I keep putting off my long run because it's way easier to just not do that shit. I'm supposed to do 9 miles before Monday, but it helps to have a reason. I've been seriously considering Yoga based on your suggestions of DDP because one of my biggest issues is flexibility, but I need to work on stamina first. If I do my run in the morning, will you go to your yoga class?
I wish I could say yes, but I barely function on less than 6 hours sleep. It's close to 4:00 AM here and the class is at 9:00 AM. I'd have to get up an hour early to wake up, have breakfast, and get ready. 4 hours sleep? I can't.[DOUBLEPOST=1433660198,1433660139][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's 2:30 am here and I'm wide wake...I keep putting off my long run because it's way easier to just not do that shit. I'm supposed to do 9 miles before Monday, but it helps to have a reason. I've been seriously considering Yoga based on your suggestions of DDP because one of my biggest issues is flexibility, but I need to work on stamina first. If I do my run in the morning, will you go to your yoga class?
As far as yoga for runners, if you do a search on YouTube for exactly that, you'll find several good programs for it. Like this one:

DDP Yoga is also good to try.

You know what? Screw it. I'll do an all-nighter and go to the class.

Probably crash as soon as I get home, but screw it. I'm doing it.

how did it go?

My whine - my hair is still purple. I may have to go back to my own colour for a while to have it fixed from the temporary dye :( Very first world problem I know but being fake blonde is fun.

I hate losing the "overtime" game.

To elaborate: we have routine weekend staffing shortages. Basically, we don't have enough staff who are scheduled to work all the living units and support positions on grounds (review: I work at a juvenile correctional facility). We cannot simply "close" a living unit, so when we have these (constant) shortages, our supervisors have to hire overtime among our staff. If they cannot find enough staff to fill all the positions (another constant issue), they have to start "ordering" - basically, forcing staff who are already on grounds and working to remain for an additional shift, by reverse order of seniority.

The fact that this is a constant issue for reasons I don't care to get into (though one is probably obvious), staff play games to avoid being ordered. One is to come in four (or more) hours early to "take" the order of another staff - which reduces the number of staff who are eligible to be ordered the following shift. This, of course, increases the likelihood of someone who is higher in seniority (waves hand) of being forced.

A second is signing up for voluntary overtime, assuming that you are practically guaranteed to be forced onto the next shift, so that you can "pick your poison" of where to go, instead of ending up with no choice or what's left. This is sometimes a winning move, as there is a degree of difficulty (real or imagined) to every position on grounds. It is not a winning move if it turns out that no staff end up being forced because positions are "consolidated" (not filled) to prevent ordering. Also, by volunteering for overtime, you cannot "give away" part of the shift - having someone else come in halfway through your shift so you don't have to be there the full time.

The ultimate loss is when the very position that you take for overtime ends up being one that would have been "consolidated" to prevent anyone from being ordered.

Bottom line - I stayed for an additional eight full hours unnecessarily. And I therefore lost the overtime game.

Last edited:
That feeling you get when someone you greatly respect posts an article from theblaze.asshole about how Caitlyn Jenner is not a woman, but a delusional, mentally ill man.

fade

Staff member
Not sure if this is a whine or not, but I finally took the boat out for the first time yesterday, and it turned into an embarrassing comedy of errors. First, the weather report said that the wind at the beach was 0 MPH. Oh well, I thought, I can at least make sure it floats and get some beach time. Get to the beach, and nope, it's the exact opposite. The wind is gusting and there are small whitecaps. So gusty that I cannot raise the sails on the trailer. so I rig them and back down the ramp. That part was fine. Then, the sails won't go up. The halyard is tangled. I play around for hours, and cannot raise it correctly, so I give up. Cannot lower the sails now. the halyard is tangled inside the mast somewhere. So I cut it (cha-ching) which definitely ends the day. Back the car down, and try to pull the boat on. Nope. the wind blows it around parallel to shore. I cannot turn it. So finally I get my wife and son and we just pick the damn thing up and put it on the trailer, and I'm thinking this is the most embarrassing boat moment of my life.

Bleh. As soon as I start packing up, the wind drops. Of course. On the bright side, I did find that my wife's Fiat 500L (that's the big one) was more than capable of towing the boat, which I was worried about. The manual says towing not recommended, even though in Europe it's rated for half a ton without trailer brakes. The boat + trailer weighs about 600. I couldn't even feel it back there.

Update: I'm back home in Manitoba making the choice to go back to work. Pictures and video below.

This is how she arrived.
IMG_2920.JPG

Day 2: Still on ventilator
IMG_2921.JPG

Day 3: Off the ventilator, just waking up.
IMG_2922.JPG

Day 4: Joking around.

She's been backsliding in recent days, still no short term memory and no memory permanence. It's pretty heartbreaking.

You want the "funny" explanation, the "Charlie" explanation, a sensible explanation, or whatever her actual reason is? :p
This is me we're talking about.
I want the actual one, but I'll entertain all of them.
[DOUBLEPOST=1433782623,1433782455][/DOUBLEPOST]
She's been backsliding in recent days, still no short term memory and no memory permanence. It's pretty heartbreaking.
The hippocampus is pretty deeply buried. Hopefully this is just an inflammation thing and it goes away once that subsides.

--Patrick

This is me we're talking about.
I want the actual one, but I'll entertain all of them.

--Patrick
-> As a blonde, she got preferential treatment and lower rates, got away with tickets
-> As a woman with purple hair, she's condescended to, seen as a troublemaker and a punk and every other cop tries to stop her
-> It was meant as a temporary change to hide her secret identity while she went and solved some crime, being seen with purple hair while civilian would ruin the disguise
-> The purple hair is drawing unwanted attention from aliens who believe her to be In the Know, while she isn't. This has led to zany sitcom situations of mistaken identity all day long, and she's already tired, dammit!

GasBandit

Staff member
Something died in the ceiling at work, we think. Lucky I had a half dozen scented candles on hand, we're burning all over the place.

It matters because my hair now looks like a toddler went at it with a bingo dabber and it's in danger of breaking from the damage :(

None of my staff laughed directly at me which was very kind of them.

The kid's babysitter loves it!