Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I saw these these posts had hugs and thought "aw, you guys are cute, giving Halforum hugs to each other," but then I saw it was Yoshi, the only one who really loved that PS3.
A game console is a terrible thing to lose. I remember the sad day when my Mom's friend's grandkid broke my gamecube. That was not a fun day.

A game console is a terrible thing to lose. I remember the sad day when my Mom's friend's grandkid broke my gamecube. That was not a fun day.
Gamecubes can break? My Gamecube's survived falling down stairs, multiple floods, sibling mishaps, and 13 years of moving, storage, use, etc. Did the kid Hulk out or something?

Gamecubes can break? My Gamecube's survived falling down stairs, multiple floods, sibling mishaps, and 13 years of moving, storage, use, etc. Did the kid Hulk out or something?
He poked the disc reader in a way that made it impossible to play games. We tried to fix it, but to no avail.

Cajungal

Staff member
How so? Can't hold his alcohol fumbling dumb ass, or insanely loud dumbass? My elder cousin is both.
Just says stupid things, is afraid of other people's opinions, and ends every conversation with some sweeping, black and white statement to try and shut everyone else up. Also he monopolized dinner conversation for 45 minutes with stories of high school glory days. He's 33. It's pathetic.

Just says stupid things, is afraid of other people's opinions, and ends every conversation with some sweeping, black and white statement to try and shut everyone else up. Also he monopolized dinner conversation for 45 minutes with stories of high school glory days. He's 33. It's pathetic.
Uggggggggggggggh, I am sorry. Even the wordiest of my family members never take a full Monk episode to tell a story.

BananaHands

Staff member
I am just stressing out so much because of this move. I drive out the 25th and things are piling up.
  • Front of my car got hit with a flat truck tire, so I have to get my front bumper replace.
  • The apartment I had signed a lease on ended up infested with cockroaches, so now I have to find a new place.
  • General money stressin'.
  • General bro cancer stressin' (although he's doing great!).
  • Getting all my stuff together to sell in a garage sale stressin'.
Ugggh.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know that bewildered feeling of sitting in a car that has just been in a wreck, and for a few brief moments you don't even recognize your surroundings because nothing is as it should be? There is silence where there used to be a constant noise that is now suddenly absent, and new noises that were never there before are there to unsettle and bewilder you, and people keep coming up to you asking if you're ok, and you just automatically respond "yeah... yeah I'm ok..." even though you don't know you are, and kinda suspect you're not?

I've been living in that moment for months.

I know this is the Whine like a baby thread, but you doing okay Gas? Have you considered talking to a grief counselor?

You just reminded me of a good, bad joke.
Farmer Joe was in his car when he was hit by a truck. He decided his injuries from the accident were serious enough to take the trucking company (responsible for the accident) to court. In court the trucking company's fancy lawyer was questioning farmer Joe. "Didn't you say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine'?" said the lawyer.
Farmer Joe responded, "Well I'll tell you what happened. I had just loaded my favorite mule Bessie into the...." "I didn't ask for any details," the lawyer interrupted, "just answer the question."
"Did you not say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine'!"
Farmer Joe said, "Well I had just got Bessie into the trailer and I was driving down the road...."
The lawyer interrupted again and said, "Judge, I am trying to establish the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the Highway Patrolman on the scene that he was just fine. Now several weeks after the accident he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud. Please tell him to simply answer the question."
By this time the Judge was fairly interested in Farmer Joe's answer and said to the lawyer, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about his favorite mule Bessie."
Joe thanked the Judge and proceeded, "Well as I was saying, I had just loaded Bessie, my favorite mule, into the trailer and was driving her down the highway when this huge semi-truck and trailer ran the stop sign and smacked my truck right in the side. I was thrown into one ditch and Bessie was thrown into the other.
I was hurting real bad and didn't want to move. However, I could hear ole Bessie moaning and groaning. I knew she was in terrible shape just by her groans.
Shortly after the accident a Highway Patrolman came on the scene. He could hear Bessie moaning and groaning so he went over to her. After he looked at her, he took out his gun and shot her between the eyes.
Then the Patrolman came across the road with his gun in his hand and looked at me. He said, "Your mule was in such bad shape I had to shoot her. How are you feeling?"

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm fine one moment and a wreck the next. I just keep going, one day at a time.
While my situation and yours are not directly comparable, the need for counseling and support after the death of a loved one is very similar. If you are like me, you probably aren't seeking out counseling or therapy. Once you try it, though, you may find a needed outlet for the turmoil you are experiencing. I didn't want to do group counseling, I figured I'd just bull my way through things, but found that simply talking about the experience with a group that understood the position I was in - mostly because they were or had been there - brought a peace and clarity that I don't believe I would have gained without taking that step.

Look for help in your area, and go. Often there are monthly meetings you can just drop in on. You can say nothing, or anything. If it doesn't help, try another group, or try private counseling.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grief+support+texas

Yes, it's going to hurt for a long, long time. But you might be surprised at how much it can help to talk about it to an anonymous group of people who have gone through something similar.

Hey, I have no reason to assume it would have made a difference (doing the same thing expecting different results, and all that), and I have little standing to really give advice (I realize my interpersonal relationshipizer works differently from most*), but I have to say that if the brain prefers to dwell on the "loss" (absence) rather than the experiences y'all "had" (the memories), then this is a situation that will be perpetuated.

I don't know whether a relocation ("change of scenery") will be required to reset that, or remove the triggers from your sight, but if it starts to impact your ability to enjoy your current life, you'll need to take action.

--Patrick
*I get labeled "callous" a lot, even though the reality is diametrically opposite.

I genuinely wish that I would lose the desire to write. It is a distraction that I don't believe will ever lead to anything useful. I'm really good at my job. I don't know why that can't be enough.

I genuinely wish my therapist would just prescribe me something. I know that everyone believes that I can control my depression, but it's only because everyone is wrong. If I was able to really control it, I would not constantly find myself surprised when I discover that I've been brooding for a week.

I genuinely wish that I would lose the desire to write. It is a distraction that I don't believe will ever lead to anything useful. I'm really good at my job. I don't know why that can't be enough.

I genuinely wish my therapist would just prescribe me something. I know that everyone believes that I can control my depression, but it's only because everyone is wrong. If I was able to really control it, I would not constantly find myself surprised when I discover that I've been brooding for a week.
I know this is the whine thread, and not the give advice thread, but what's wrong with writing just for the joy of writing? If you desire to write, and it's something you have a passion to do, then why not?

If someone enjoys playing baseball, should they not play baseball just because they'll never do so professionally?

I know this is the whine thread, and not the give advice thread, but what's wrong with writing just for the joy of writing? If you desire to write, and it's something you have a passion to do, then why not?

If someone enjoys playing baseball, should they not play baseball just because they'll never do so professionally?
I think the two issues combine. I try to write just for the sake of writing, but at some point I realize that no one is ever going to read it. It's just effort expended, something I actively work at, with no real point when it's all said and done. Once I remember that, then it becomes kind of an embarrassment - the idea that all this time, I've been writing things that only I will ever read.

I think the two issues combine. I try to write just for the sake of writing, but at some point I realize that no one is ever going to read it. It's just effort expended, something I actively work at, with no real point when it's all said and done. Once I remember that, then it becomes kind of an embarrassment - the idea that all this time, I've been writing things that only I will ever read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ives#Biography

--Patrick

You kind of have to write for yourself first before you can write for other people though. It has to be enough for you before you can really press it out to others.

I accept that I may or may not get anywhere with my writing, but whenever I stop, I become an angry, impatient asshole. Demons on the page so they aren't in my head. You might need it the same if it's related to your depression.

If it's satisfying effort expended, then it's not time wasted--any more than watching TV, playing video games, or any other pastime is time wasted. You aren't a worker ant. Your every waking action doesn't have to be something productive that materially benefits you or your hive.

As an interesting story, when I first started learning the tinwhistle, I went at my own pace, and when people would question choices I made (such as music I was learning, or techniques I was focusing on), I always told them "I'm just learning to play for myself anyway. It's not like I'm ever going to be in a band or anything."

Since then, I've created a popular celtic music website, played in several bands, put out two CDs, played for a crowd of about 5,000 people, been on KPFT radio's Irish Airs program, made a few thousand dollars playing for the Texas Renaissance Festival, played in the Dallas St. Patrick's Day parade several years in a row, and had one of my bands featured on TV on Good Morning Texas on St. Patrick's day.

The point of the bragging isn't to say "hey, I'm awesome." It's to say that you never know where life will take you. Maybe you're writing for yourself today. That doesn't mean something might not come of it in the future. It's really premature to say that it won't ever "lead to anything useful."

Did you know that the average author is 36 years old when they sell their first book? Heck, I've wanted to be an author since I was in elementary school. I was 42 when my first novel went live on Amazon, and I self-published mine. I think you have a bit of time before you can throw your hands up and declare yourself a failure ;)

Current tenants of the apartment I was to be renting decided not to move out after all. Back to square one looking for a place to live. Semester starts in less than 2 months.