Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I'm sorry to use the funny tag, but I laughed at the last bit.

Is there something compelling you to keep in contact with her or is this by choice?
Not sure. She had a photobucket account where all the photos of our travels had been stored and she had deleted it last week. I asked for all the photos so we were going back and forth about getting the photos to me.

Just because something is electrical, it does not mean that IT fixes it...

Yes, people keep sending paper shredders 100's of miles for me to repair or discard.

Warning; incredibly first world whine

So, I mentioned before that I'm doing a study abroad trip. When I told my parents that, my mom told me that I'm that case I shouldn't come home for thanksgiving because of the money (usually about $500). I know that's a good amount but from the way my familys finances are set up, they wouldn't miss it. I don't really push it though because you know, they're paying for me to go to Europe.

However, I told my girlfriend who is at school with me as from the same hometown and me and at school with me and she decided to do it too, but for her the money saving part really does help. She's been really homesick and not looking forward to missing thanksgiving but I've been telling her that it won't be so bad because we'll be together.

Now, today my mom calls me and tells me that she thinks I actually should come home for thanksgiving and her and my dad can spend the money for nice things like that.

Cajungal

Staff member
Ok, so I understand the need for professional dress.. but I'm pretty annoyed right now.

One dummy at work ruined pants for all of us. She wore a short top with fucking LEGGINGS to work. We're an elementary goddamned school. You didn't think someone was going to complain that it was inappropriate? You had fucking camel toe. And now our head of school has sent out an email banning leggings as pants (that is totally fine and should have been a rule already) and any tapered or "skinny" pants that she thinks are unacceptable. Most of the women who wear that style buy the kind that aren't gross and skin-tight, they just skim the leg without hugging. It really doesn't look distasteful. I have some tapered pants I'm scared to wear now, even though they're technically not skinny. Fuck it, I am not going shopping.

Booooo, dummy with no common sense.

The fact that you are worried about the fit of the pants means that they are fine. I know that sounds nonsensical, but it means that you are questioning something that is okay, because you don't want to be the "dummy with no common sense" for yet another style. Tapered isn't the same as fitted, according to Clinton and Stacey on What Not to Wear.

Cajungal

Staff member
I call skinny pants the grab-assy, skin tight ones. Anything else I call tapered. And yeah, that's what one of my friends there said. No one has called me out yet, so I think I'll be ok. Still I feel bad for some of the girls who were told their clothes weren't okay, because most of them were... Just not that one girl.

Part of me knows I usually start a story knowing the gist of it, and then sometimes I wing it, but I'm struggling right now because what I'm working on is a time travel story, and since I was small, I always believed the geniuses who write time travel stories knew every little nuance and paradox that was going to happen, and intended them all, when the fact is that there's no such thing as a totally succinct time travel story. Most of them can be hole-punched into Swiss cheese by asking questions that begin with "But wouldn't that mean ..." And unfortunately a lot of the time, I'm that guy. The one who didn't like Chrono Cross, but played through it over a half-dozen times trying to make sense of the time travel/parallel worlds in detail.

So my problem is shutting off that little nitpicking asshole part of my brain.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm siiiiiiiiiick. Bad, nasty cold that has been racing through the school. We've been back barely a month, and the waves of disease have already started. I slept most of yesterday, and I'm probably going to be late with my next Supervillainous update.

I hate being sick so damn much.

Part of me knows I usually start a story knowing the gist of it, and then sometimes I wing it, but I'm struggling right now because what I'm working on is a time travel story, and since I was small, I always believed the geniuses who write time travel stories knew every little nuance and paradox that was going to happen, and intended them all, when the fact is that there's no such thing as a totally succinct time travel story. Most of them can be hole-punched into Swiss cheese by asking questions that begin with "But wouldn't that mean ..." And unfortunately a lot of the time, I'm that guy. The one who didn't like Chrono Cross, but played through it over a half-dozen times trying to make sense of the time travel/parallel worlds in detail.

So my problem is shutting off that little nitpicking asshole part of my brain.
My friend and I came up with a really fun time-travel story idea few years ago, and then proceeded to crush it before it came near anything resemble fruition by realising its impossible to create a time travel story without paradoxes and plot holes that bash the main idea all to hell. We were sad. Sometimes I wish we had just pushed for it for fun anyway.

My friend and I came up with a really fun time-travel story idea few years ago, and then proceeded to crush it before it came near anything resemble fruition by realising its impossible to create a time travel story without paradoxes and plot holes that bash the main idea all to hell. We were sad. Sometimes I wish we had just pushed for it for fun anyway.
I'm finding that's what's needed. Make your rules, stick to them, and fuck everything else.

I'm reminded of the classic writer's advice. "How do you kill a vampire?"

The answer, of course, is however the hell you want, because vampires aren't real.

I'm reminded of the classic writer's advice. "How do you kill a vampire?"

The answer, of course, is however the hell you want, because vampires aren't real.
True, but quantum physics are, and time manipulation, if not exactly travel, is a possibility in the future. And even ignoring that, there must be a method to the madness or you get the reader confused, which is not good. Mysteries are good, but only when intentional.

Pretty much what you have to do is decide how your time travel works and don't be Doctor Who where it's every conceivable rule working against each other. Are there time loops? Are there parallel timelines? Could you kill your own grandfather? I spent a couple hours this morning working things out piece by piece. There's much to do, but I feel I have a stronger foundation than when I was just ripping my ideas apart with every paradox that could come to mind. With complex time travel, suspension of disbelief is key.

The only time travel story that comes to mind where there isn't a bunch of messiness is The Time Machine. By only going into the future, it's really no different than if he had been put in the freezer like Fry until a certain point. The only difference is that he could then come back to tell about what he'd seen. Now beyond that, maybe things would get messy, but his knowledge of the future would be of little value considering the various resets on civilization that occur in the book (the North hemisphere vs the South hemisphere, and then of course the Morloks) and the span of thousands of years that he travels.

Tooth density is around 3g/ml, which is between Aluminum and Titanium. An object with 84% aluminum (6061 alloy, specifically) and 16% titanium would have approximately the same density as a human tooth.

I suspect custom dice would make you very happy.

You act as if he hasn't already carved some teeth into dice.

I always wanted to get a set made of hematite, but thought it might be too brittle to take all the rattling around. Too rough on the edges/corners.

--Patrick
I think the thing to do there is make sure the edges and corners are nicely rounded, and that you take care not to shake an entire 36-pack at one time, or drop them straight onto a glass or metal table. One of those felted rolling surfaces might be good for hematite dice.

Damnit, we've been using the new Xenforo for months now and I'm still trying to Tab twice and hit Enter to post.

I think the thing to do there is make sure the edges and corners are nicely rounded
Far beyond my lapidary abilities, I'm afraid. I wondered whether coating them would work, but then that would take away half the reason for making them out of hematite in the first place.

--Patrick

I was about to order in some Swiss Chalet for dinner until I noticed they've started charging 3.50 (And they're not upfront about it either) for delivery. Now, this normally wouldn't be an issue if they didn't also have a hidden 2 dollar fee for nearly every item on the menu when ordering delivery. Nearly every item on their menu is 2 dollars more expensive than if you went to the restaurant. This used to offset the no delivery fee they used to do (expensively and deceptively, but whatever). The slimiest part is how nothing looks different on the website from before except for the final confirmation page where it's sneakily added to the total.

Now, for say 2 dinners and a starter (if I'm ordering for 2), I'd be paying 10 dollars for delivery plus tip since you know the driver is seeing none of that. Outrageous.

Never again Swiss Chalet, and I used to love ordering from you.

Last edited:
I was about to order in some Swiss Chalet for dinner until I noticed they've started charging 3.50 (And they're not upfront about it either) for delivery. Now, this normally wouldn't be an issue if they didn't also have a hidden 2 dollar fee for nearly every item on the menu when ordering delivery. Nearly every item on their menu is 2 dollars more expensive than if you went to the restaurant. This used to offset the no delivery fee they used to do (expensively and deceptively, but whatever). The slimiest part is how nothing looks different on the website from before except for the final confirmation page where it's sneakily added to the total.

Now, for say 2 dinners and a starter (if I'm ordering for 2), I'd be paying 10 dollars for delivery plus tip since you know the driver is seeing none of that. Outrageous.

Never again Swiss Chalet, and I used to love ordering from you.
See, in China I'm ok with having a flat delivery free or based on distance. Charging per item is ridiculous. Also, I think tipping is something that needs to go. Nothing in my six years in Asia has convinced me that tipping back home was ever a good thing.