Whats for Dinner?

Not dinner--lunch.

I tried a pupuseria today. First time ever. I never saw them when I lived in Texas, but they have them all over the place up here.

2017-11-16 11.53.58.jpg

Carnitas tacos. With cucumber, radish and lime garnish. Seemed weird. Tasted delicious.

2017-11-16 11.59.47.jpg

Two different pupusas.
1. Loroco con queso: loroco and cheese--loroco is a flower, and in this case, the buds are used (much like capers are a flower bud). The flavor was very deep and green and complex. It reminded me of the time I made salsa with sauteed cactus leaf. Very delicious.
2. chicharrón y frijoles: seasoned shredded pork and refried beans.

Reading about pupusas online, I thought they might be a bit like a pita, but they're not. They're more like a stuffed pancake in presentation. All the ingredients are completely enclosed in the shell.

They were amazing. The waitress brought me out two sauces and warned that one was "spicy". So, I grabbed that one, dabbed a bit on my finger, and took a taste--and nearly fell out of my chair. It was almost....allllmost too spicy for me :)

I notice you pulled out the fine china for this presentation.

(not judging, I believe I'll be using the same pattern for my chili dog in a few minutes)

Dave

Staff member
Spaghetti and meatballs. I’m cooking for just my father in law and myself but I’m USED to cooking for 5. So tomorrow’s lunch is spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe dinner tomorrow night as well.

Spaghetti and meatballs. I’m cooking for just my father in law and myself but I’m USED to cooking for 5. So tomorrow’s lunch is spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe dinner tomorrow night as well.
Sluggetti and peat balls? But isn't that your favorite?
hermanmanger.png

--Patrick

I got one of these from Amazon's Black Friday:

I don't know how anyone lives without a pressure cooker now. This thing is fucking awesome. You can brown or saute whatever you're going to pressure cook or slow cook in the fucking pot before letting it do it's thing. The only large dishes you make is the insert. I fucking love this thing.

Tonight I made pot roast and vegetables in like 30 minutes (plus the preheat time) and it was delicious.

Note to self: get a pressure cooker.
When I got a pressure cooker last year, my wife predicted that it'd sit in the cabinet and never get used.

I use it several times a month. Sometimes, several times a week. I love mine. and it's super easy to use and clean. But it doesn't do yogurt :(

When I got a pressure cooker last year, my wife predicted that it'd sit in the cabinet and never get used.

I use it several times a month. Sometimes, several times a week. I love mine. and it's super easy to use and clean. But it doesn't do yogurt :(
It's really changed cooking for us. Cook a whole chicken in ~15 min., and have homemade chicken broth as a by-product. Or cook beans in 20-30 min. (depending on the bean) w/o soaking overnight.

Pressure cooker risotto:
https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-pressure-cooker-parmesan-risotto

We have an 8 quart and 6 quart instant pot, and it's a rare night we don't use one or the other, and occasionally we'll use both. The 6 quart has a persistent place on the counter, the 8 quart comes and goes, but these days is often spending its time making bone broth.

They've really simplified pressure cooking to the degree that it's easier to use them than any other cooking method where they do a decent job. Easy to use, easy to clean, automatic operation with beeps - and saves a bit of energy to do the same amount of cooking as stovetop or oven, but doesn't have to be watched to tended as closely.

Highly recommended, even if you don't have an army to feed.

I got one of these from Amazon's Black Friday:

I don't know how anyone lives without a pressure cooker now. This thing is fucking awesome. You can brown or saute whatever you're going to pressure cook or slow cook in the fucking pot before letting it do it's thing. The only large dishes you make is the insert. I fucking love this thing.

Tonight I made pot roast and vegetables in like 30 minutes (plus the preheat time) and it was delicious.

I got mine two years ago on Amazon. It is the best! I bought an extra insert so I could use it for more than one dish.