Whats for Dinner?

I don't know what Tin uses, but my wife is Indian, and she likes the ATK recipe:
http://www.madeinmykitchen.com/2013/09/atk-chicken-tikka-masala.html

The Indian cooks will do some techniques a bit different:
-toast the spices whole in a dry pan and then crush/grind
-cook the spices with the ginger/garlic paste in the oil ahead of tomatoes
-cook the tomato sauce until the oil separates from the tomato at the edge of the pan - the tomato sauce should also be crimson by the end
-In India, at least where I have been the tikka sauce is not sweet, and the tikka meat or paneer is charred and cooked in a tandoor and then put in the sauce - broiling works too.
My recipe is similar. I’ll look it up again when I’m not so sick. I don’t have a tandoor so I skewered my chicken and charred it on the grill

Feel better.

Niece's kids brought novovirus with them. I'm the last one in the house to catch it. Whee.

My recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

Marinade
1 cup yogurt (unflavored, unsweetened)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper (could probably up this to 1 or 1.5 tsp if you like spicy food. It's in the marinade, so it won't be as hot as if you put it in the sauce)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I buy the paste from the tube)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken (I like dark meat) chopped into large bites

For grilling
4 long skewers

Sauce
1 tablespoon butter (or ghee if you can get it)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (or thai chili or other hot pepper)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream

For finishing
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

If you want it less hot, cut the ribs out of the pepper before mincing. The capsaicin gland is in the ribs.

In a large bowl, combine all of the "marinade" ingredients. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour

Preheat a grill for high heat and oil grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard remaining marinade.Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side. I like to cook mine until slightly charred.

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, and salt. Stir until fragrant, 1 minute or so. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat uncovered until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes, covered. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro (optional).

Last edited:
Baked ranch chicken nuggets. So I got this idea from another recipe of mine. Two or three chicken breasts, cut into chunks. Dredge the pieces in ranch dressing, then in toasted panko. Add shredded/grated cheese of your choice to the panko. Place on a cookie sheet with a baking rack. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.

My little chicken-hater has gone back for seconds.

So I was at the big Asian super market nearest to me looking for ingredients to make Jokbal (something to do with all those pork hocks I have in my freezer) and I bought a container of Dashi Miso paste. I have no idea why it took me this long just to keep a container of that around just to make up a bowl of miso soup whenever I feel like it, but God damn it, I will never be without it again. All I used was roasted seaweed and leeks in it (next time I keep the tofu around to make it proper) and it's delicious.

Stoked to make jokbal. Watch Maangchi, the most adorable Korean mom, cook it up. Her recipes are pretty fantastic.

Eh, I'm a fan of a good epoisses, and a plethora of mushrooms - so smell shouldn't be an issue; but texture does cause me issues more often than not, especially slimy ones.

Ooh... sauteed mushrooms on rice... hmm. :D
Oh, my aunt showed me a recipe for mushroom rice over Christmas that was delicious.

You sautee 3/4s of a pound of mushrooms, remove and set aside, then you sautee an onion and some garlic for a little bit in butter, add another 3/4s of a pound of mushrooms and cook till they soften and release moisture, deglaze with a little chicken stock (about a quarter cup), stir in 1.5 cups of basmatti rice and then add 2 cups of chicken stock, a tablespoon of fish sauce and two tablespoons of soy sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium/low for 10 minutes. Cut up some green onions and add it to the reserved 3/4 of a pound of mushrooms. After ten minutes is up, check to see that all moisture is absorbed, if it is, remove from heat and quickly chuck the mushrooms and onions on top and cover and let sit for 10 more minutes. Stir everything together with a bit of butter and serve.

I've made it a couple of times since Christmas as a side dish and it's pretty delicious.

Last edited:
Don't ever try Alsatian Munster cheese, then.

--Patrick
Cheese slime doesn't seem to bother me, it's OK for a dairy product to have that texture. It's even OK for some vegetables to be a bit slimy, okra and mushrooms for instance. But there are some dim sum dishes that I've tried to eat with slimy rice(?) noodles, that I just could not handle.

I was so depressed on Monday that I ordered from my local butchery, a 4 kilo pork belly/loin cut so I can make a honking porchetta. I also ordered the fennel pollen from The Silk Road, a local exotic spicery. I'm gonna share it with no one.

I wasn't kidding about those desserts. Holy crap...

FYI: each of those scoops of ice cream is ONE POUND.
Excessive.[DOUBLEPOST=1516823790,1516823754][/DOUBLEPOST]
French onion burger and onion rings from the Poky Dot diner in Fairmont, WV.

No, I did NOT save room for dessert. Their banana split is the size of a small child.
This however, looks wonderful. What's on those onion rings?

I was so depressed on Monday that I ordered from my local butchery, a 4 kilo pork belly/loin cut so I can make a honking porchetta. I also ordered the fennel pollen from The Silk Road, a local exotic spicery. I'm gonna share it with no one.
Have you made porchetta before? Is it a braising method?

Went to a spanish restaurant and grossed my wife out by ordering lengua al vino.
(That's cow tongue in wine sauce for the non-spanish speaking)

She was mostly over it by about half-way through dinner, until I went "Ow! I bit my tongue!" It took her a second to get it, and then she got all grossed out again :D

Went to a spanish restaurant and grossed my wife out by ordering lengua al vino.
(That's cow tongue in wine sauce for the non-spanish speaking)

She was mostly over it by about half-way through dinner, until I went "Ow! I bit my tongue!" It took her a second to get it, and then she got all grossed out again :D
While tongue doesn't gross me out, I'm not a huge fan of the texture. It's sort of too soft or something, I dunno.
Give me cheeks over tongue any day.

While tongue doesn't gross me out, I'm not a huge fan of the texture. It's sort of too soft or something, I dunno.
Give me cheeks over tongue any day.
It reminded me a lot of the beef heart stew I made one day, in terms of texture.

In terms of flavor, it wasn't anything special. It mostly tasted like salisbury steak