Whats for Dinner?

For Game of Thrones, I had some friends over for dinner. I made fresh bread and a Spanish chickpea and chorizo stew (not pictured). I bought imported German cheese and used the rest of the chorizo for a charcuterie tray. I even broke out my Italian cheese knife set for that. Then we finished with applecakes and washed it down with raspberry ale.

Onions turned out fantastic. Had a cheeseburger Burger of the Gods style (toasted bun with just mayo and fresh ground black pepper) and the onions.

No pictures. I was hungry. :D

The loaded pepperoni roll at the Black Bears game tonight was actually pretty meh. Especially compared to the brat for lunch or yesterday's burger.

I bought an air fryer so I could make my own falafels and I thought deep frying them traditionally would kind of eliminate any health benefits of eating healthy.

Tonight though, I'm going to try and make steak pinwheels (for my husband) and scallops in it. Not battered but in a seasoning rub.

Fingers crossed!

I bought an air fryer so I could make my own falafels and I thought deep frying them traditionally would kind of eliminate any health benefits of eating healthy.

Tonight though, I'm going to try and make steak pinwheels (for my husband) and scallops in it. Not battered but in a seasoning rub.

Fingers crossed!
@Dirona, should we crash their dinner?

J/K Squids. Sounds good though.

Homemade Beef Wellington. The only thing I didn't make was the moisture barrier layer, I already packed the blender so I couldn't make crepes. I used extra soft flour tortillas instead and I'm not the least bit ashamed - it came out awesome. I must make more of these, with all kinds of different fillings.

Wellington Baked.png

Out of the oven ten minutes. The slight bit of liquid on the board next to it came out of the hole where I'd been checking the temp, otherwise, no leaks whatsoever.
Wellington Inside.png

After slicing, looking inside. There are actually a few layers in the pastry. Not bad at all for a rush-job and a first attempt. The outside was crispy and flaky and none of it was gummy.
Wellington Pre-Sauce.png

Sliced and plated. You can see some of the duxelles - and see the fact that I didn't have a center-cut tenderloin. Winco doesn't sell 'em, and I couldn't afford 'em if they did. It's a little past medium-rare, but I'm just glad it cooked. It took twice as long as it was supposed to and I had to cover the whole thing with foil the last half to keep it from burning.
Wellington Money Shot.png

Sauced - the money shot. It was delicious.

I could see a roasted root vegetable / winter squash option with steamed and drained spinach and ground nuts or beans for some protein, with some warming spices or curry being an excellent vegetarian option.

So I got a sous-vide precision cooker as a birthday gift the other day. My first attempt at using it, I made chicken confit (with some garlic/chive mashed potatoes and tomato fennel salad on the side.) Pretty fantastic. Currently, I've got some ribs in there that are gonna go for 36 hours, so those'll be ready on friday night.

So I got a sous-vide precision cooker as a birthday gift the other day. My first attempt at using it, I made chicken confit (with some garlic/chive mashed potatoes and tomato fennel salad on the side.) Pretty fantastic. Currently, I've got some ribs in there that are gonna go for 36 hours, so those'll be ready on friday night.
:eek: You're still alive?! Heya!

Totally a double post but this one deserves its own, so pbbt. I made 36 hour sous-vide ribs. Incredibly tender, the bone pulls right out, but the meat keeps its integrity and isn't melt-in-your-mouth soft; pretty much perfect.

Rubbed and ready to bathe.

After 36 hours (and 40 minutes in the oven), sauced and ready to go.

Plated up with some pan-fried potatoes and quick salad.
X

6oz jar of Planters sunflower kernels
1l bottle of Mountain Dew with an 8oz bottle of Ocean Spray Cran-Grape added to it.
Won't get home in time for our formal dinner.

--Patrick

Was going to BBQ chicken in a sauce marinade of my own invention but it started thunderstorming like a sunnovabitch. Then I said fuck it and wheeled my little garbo BBQ into the garage and did it anyway.

@Frank - Chicken Thighs? Whatever it is, looks great!
Chicken thighs, marinated in lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oil, salt, pepper and honey. Then I boiled the marinade and brushed it over the chicken while it cooked on the BBQ. The outside was sweet and salty thanks to the honey and soy, the inside was infused with the lime and was really tangy. I literally just threw it together with stuff I had.