Whats for Dinner?

Saag paneer with medium rare steak.

Saag paneer literally means "spinach and cheese". It's an Indian dish consisting of a puree of spinach, spices, yogurt and cheese. The real fun comes in taking whole milk, curdling it, and straining it with a cheesecloth, creating your own cheese (paneer). So delicious.

The pic with the steak looks weird and weak because I couldn't get the color balance right on my phone, so it doesn't look as brown and seared as it actually is.

It's also called palak paneer depending on where you're from. I've never made paneer at home, but my in-laws make it from time to time. It's quite nice when it's fried or grilled too!

It's also called palak paneer depending on where you're from. I've never made paneer at home, but my in-laws make it from time to time. It's quite nice when it's fried or grilled too!
If it had set up more firmly, I had planned on cubing it and pan frying it in a bit of ghee.

But since it was too crumbly, I just ended up folding it in there raw, which is also quite nice.

Didn't make this one myself. All you can eat crab legs from May's Restaurant

Between me and my wife, we took out 18 clusters. That sounds like a lot--and trust me, we're in a near food coma--but even at such excess, it's less calories than a McDonald's combo meal.

My dad's split-pea soup. Always good.

Last night was a slow-roasted pork chunk with mashed potatoes and green beans. The leftover pork (and the bone) went into the soup to break down and marinate overnight.

Didn't make this one myself. All you can eat crab legs from May's Restaurant

Between me and my wife, we took out 18 clusters. That sounds like a lot--and trust me, we're in a near food coma--but even at such excess, it's less calories than a McDonald's combo meal.
I hate you just a little right now. I really do. A little. Well, actually I'm happy for you, sad for me. Nothing within 90 or so miles that ever does an all-you-can-eat crab legs. Might be my fault. Possibly. But I'm not admitting anything here.

I got a box of attachments when I got my kitchenaid. I keep wanting to pull out the pasta roller and make some homemade pasta. Then I remember how much I dislike pasta. Sigh

I hate you just a little right now. I really do. A little. Well, actually I'm happy for you, sad for me. Nothing within 90 or so miles that ever does an all-you-can-eat crab legs. Might be my fault. Possibly. But I'm not admitting anything here.
The one place that was near me that did it closed for remodeling, then just sat there for about 3 months, then it got razed. Never did find out what happened.

--Patrick

Been grilling a lot the last few days. So much more convenient now that I have a deck.

So far, I've made
  • skirt steak for fajitas
  • steaks
  • bratwurst and hot dogs (my son doesn't like brats..heh)
  • baby back ribs

Next up to be grilled:
  • Pork loin
  • bbq chicken.

Been grilling a lot the last few days. So much more convenient now that I have a deck.

So far, I've made
  • skirt steak for fajitas
  • steaks
  • bratwurst and hot dogs (my son doesn't like brats..heh)
  • baby back ribs

Next up to be grilled:
  • Pork loin
  • bbq chicken.
But when do you get to the sweet corn?!

--Patrick

We stopped at a new Thai place on the way home. Now I wish we hadn't. Sadly, that location isn't set up on Yelp yet, so I can't even leave a scathing review. I've had better pad thai out of a box, or one of those 3 minute microwavable bowls you can pick up at 7-11; but then I strongly suspect that 3 minutes was the exact amount of time that my entree spent in the microwave ten minutes before being delivered to my table. This stuff was just sad. I've had pad thai all over the place, and it's always been pretty much the same: rice noodles, protein of choice, egg, scallions, ground peanuts, bean sprouts. This one had rice noodles, chicken, one piece of scallion, one sad little bean sprout, no egg, no peanuts. Oh, and the waitress went out of her way to make sure I wanted it spicy - 3 stars out of a possible 4. What I got was so mild I thought my taste buds might have fallen asleep.

My problem with grilled corn is the same as Sparhawk's. Even lightly grilled, you get some char. That's the point of grilling the corn. I just don't much care for the taste of charred corn kernel skin.[DOUBLEPOST=1430347458,1430347405][/DOUBLEPOST]
This picture is to be considered as an invitation, right? :p Cause it sure looks like one....
If you start driving now, may get here in time to have some of the post-processed rib meat. :whistling:

^that, only turn 'em before they turn black.
The idea is to roast the kernels rather than boil or steam them.
Truly it is the best way to cook corn. I just wish it didn't need so much attention.

--Patrick

grilled bbq chicken breasts last night.

They didn't turn out. Breasts are delicate, and if you get them over 160 or so, they get tough, dry, and rubbery. Unfortunately, though the inside of my chicken was awesome, the outside quarter inch or so was tough, dry and rubbery. :(

I feel like a failure as a Texan.

grilled bbq chicken breasts last night.

They didn't turn out. Breasts are delicate, and if you get them over 160 or so, they get tough, dry, and rubbery. Unfortunately, though the inside of my chicken was awesome, the outside quarter inch or so was tough, dry and rubbery. :(

I feel like a failure as a Texan.
Nah. Failing to properly grill chicken isn't failing as a Texan. It's failing as a man. :troll: