Whats for Dinner?

Got me a new grill, a canadian-made propane fuelled Broil King.

Don't get me wrong. I love charcoal grills. But they are certainly not convenient. First you gotta heat a chimney of charcoal, then you gotta throw it in the grill and let the grill heat up. After cooking, the coals take forever to cool down before you can cover the grill. Plus my hands always end up looking like I'm working in a coal mine, I have to clean charcoal ash out of the thing nearly every use, and I nearly burn the hair off of my arm every time I pour the hot coals from the chimney into the grill.

So, I pushed the old grill off to the side last night, fired up the new propane grill, and knocked out sirloin, mushroom, pepper and zucchini kabobs in 20 minutes. Very nice.

Don't get me wrong. I love charcoal grills. But they are certainly not convenient. First you gotta heat a chimney of charcoal, then you gotta throw it in the grill and let the grill heat up. After cooking, the coals take forever to cool down before you can cover the grill. Plus my hands always end up looking like I'm working in a coal mine, I have to clean charcoal ash out of the thing nearly every use, and I nearly burn the hair off of my arm every time I pour the hot coals from the chimney into the grill.

So, I pushed the old grill off to the side last night, fired up the new propane grill, and knocked out sirloin, mushroom, pepper and zucchini kabobs in 20 minutes. Very nice.

Took the girlfriend (who's been stressing about work a lot) out for a sushi as a break inbetween her 16 hour work marathons. It's super cute how self conscious she's been about her little bit of belly she has lately. Also, Myfitnesspal sucks when you eat crazy weird maki creations at non-chain sushi joints. She learned this lesson today.

I had a big plate of tsukiji maki and tataki. So fucking good.

Hennepin is one the few beers of theirs I just don't like. Hennepin, Rare Vos, and especially Witte. Tripel Perfection, on the other hand...

Stricting up my diet for PT this summer, so tonight is binge on garbage night. Told the girlfriend that we're eating the trashiest pizza and all the potato chips.

Dave

Staff member
Tonight I made SUPER THICK pork steaks and rice pilaf. And it turned out better than it should have. First I did the recipe wrong for the rice (combined two steps at once when I shouldn't have) and about 1/2 way through cooking the pork steaks the grill ran out of propane. I finished them inside on a skillet and kept a close, close eye on the rice, which turned out pasty and not browned at all but tasty.

Anyone have a recommendation for a knife sharpening set? I have a cheap plastic knife sharpening stand, but I think it's wrecking my knives. I don't have super-fancy knives, but I don't want to trash them with my existing setup. I don't have a honing steel, but will purchase one in the near future.

If you're willing to put in the practice, a good whetstone brick may last you the rest of your life.
If you're less patient, you can use a powered solution like this but they are looked down upon by purists. They're fine for general kitchen use, though.

--Patrick

If you're willing to put in the practice, a good whetstone brick may last you the rest of your life.
If you're less patient, you can use a powered solution like this but they are looked down upon by purists. They're fine for general kitchen use, though.

--Patrick
I do have some chisels, but I am not in the position to buy more tools for my dust-collecting tools. Though, I am always tempted to do so. Those are some sweet options. I especially like the Ken Onion one.

Anyone have a recommendation for a knife sharpening set? I have a cheap plastic knife sharpening stand, but I think it's wrecking my knives. I don't have super-fancy knives, but I don't want to trash them with my existing setup. I don't have a honing steel, but will purchase one in the near future.

3 different grits of sand paper and a mouse pad will make the sharpest damn knife ever.

3 different grits of sand paper and a mouse pad will make the sharpest damn knife ever.
I was going to suggest the flat sandpaper method, but figured it was cheaper to buy one good whetstone and learn how to use it for the rest of your life. If you're going to go the disposable route, you might as well get the machine to go with it.
On the plus side, all of his technique applies 100% to the whetstone method.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
I'd have eaten yours. I like to play around a little with toppings, but I keep it pretty simple. And I hate sundried tomatoes

This is dinner tonight:

Rainbow trout and angel hair tossed with baby zucchini, roasted red pepper, mushroom, spinach, and a home grown tomato. So gooood.

Yesterday: spaghetti with spicy tomato sauce
Today: spaghetti with cheese and ham
Tomorrow: chicken sweet-sour and white rice.

Somehow, you can tell my girlfriend's out of town and I can't/don't like cooking just for 1 person :p

figmentPez

Staff member
Chicken pot pie pizza:

Honey wheat crust, creme fraiche w/ herbes de province & black pepper for sauce, topped with frozen mixed veggies, canned chicken, and mozzarella cheese. It was really good.

Since being sick since Monday and eating about 1200 calories from then until now, I decided that today is definitely cheat day. Here she blows, a medium extra cheese, ham and green pepper (they're buried in there somewhere) deep dish from Royal. Pizza's almost as thick as it is wide.

unnamed.jpg

The cheese layer is thicker than the crust!

Unlike Fez's Pizza above, there is nothing healthy or redeeming about mine. It's about an inch and a half thick with a crust made of the gluteniest white flour, about a kilo of cheese and various toppings. Weighed it on my little food scale which goes up to 5 pounds and the pizza topped the scale. The grease stain under the first piece I lifted? Glistening.[DOUBLEPOST=1434673682,1434673480][/DOUBLEPOST]Just wolfed down half of it. Since posting that picture, since I've apparently never been hungrier in my life. And I'm going to spend the next hour regretting the speed and quantity of my eating.[DOUBLEPOST=1434674174][/DOUBLEPOST]A lot of people I know loathe the way Royal cuts the pizza. I mean, who likes change? Well, I for one enjoy it. I look at it like a side of beef with different cuts.

unnamed.jpg

That's too bad. Grilled corn is the best corn.

--Patrick
Grilled steak tonight. They had fresh corn on sale at the grocery store. I remembered your post, so I gave grilling it a try.

Was pretty good. Had a bit of that "just barely overcooked theater popcorn" flavor, which I assume is due to the char on the kernels. This was not a bad thing. Different but not sure I'd call it "better." I'll probably grill 'em occasionally, but not exclusively, in the future.

Different but not sure I'd call it "better." I'll probably grill 'em occasionally, but not exclusively, in the future.
I'll put it this way. Have you ever had roasted peanuts? Now, have you ever had boiled peanuts? Noticeable difference. I prefer roasted. I'm sure there's some scientific explanation (roasting fractionates starches into additional sugars while boiling rinses sugars away or some such) but roasted corn has always tasted sweeter and been less mealy for me. I try not to let it get too blackened, so technically I suppose I'm really having "baked" corn.

--Patrick

I wanted to try Raclette in the East Village, but they're booked until 8:45. BUT, since I'm by myself, maybe I can still score a seat. I'm not calling, I'm just going to see what's what. If anything, I'll still be in the East Village. :)