Whats for Dinner?

Mini beef wellingtons tonight--puff pastry filled with a mushroom and onion pate, provolone cheese, and a bit of filet mignon, baked until golden brown and topped with a sauce that was about equal parts buerre blanc and demi-glace. It was pretty dang delicious.

No photos...my camera took terrible pics tonight.

Homemade smoothies! Not because of anything other than we had a late breakfast, then burgers for lunch which was also later than usual. None of us are interested in eating anything heavy for dinner.

Next time I find a place that makes that I am GETTING it. Cos I am not making that at home, says it needs a special pan and I do NOT have room for another pan.

gonna be posting a lot more in here for a while. Now that the adult kids are out, it's easier to cook better meals. Less mouths to feed..and also, they were both picky as shit. And neither of them had any of their food issues in common. What one liked, the other didn't. So I only had a small handful of choices for dinners while they were here. :rolleyes:

but now...Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers :D

Meatloaf and creamy mashed potatoes, with mushroom gravy

oh, and corn. But I didn't do anything special to it :)

Meatloaf is 1/2 angus beef, 1/2 pork, with shiitake and button mushrooms, topped with a from scratch gravy using the same mushrooms, and pan drippings from the loaf.

gonna be posting a lot more in here for a while. Now that the adult kids are out, it's easier to cook better meals. Less mouths to feed..and also, they were both picky as shit. And neither of them had any of their food issues in common. What one liked, the other didn't. So I only had a small handful of choices for dinners while they were here. :rolleyes:

but now...Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers :D
Are Onion Burgers an Okie thing? We do have quite a few onion burger things around the metro area. One of the best is Tuckers. The Mother-tucker is awe-inspiring.
http://www.tuckersonionburgers.com/menu

Are Onion Burgers an Okie thing? We do have quite a few onion burger things around the metro area. One of the best is Tuckers. The Mother-tucker is awe-inspiring.
http://www.tuckersonionburgers.com/menu
I have family in Oklahoma, so I'm familiar with them from there. Never really seen them anywhere else..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/17/oklahoma-onion-burger_n_2876356.html
The onion burger was invented (according to one legend) at the Hamburger Inn in Ardmore, Oklahoma by a man named Ross Davis. Some of the most famous and popular onion burgers today, come from Sid's Diner in El Reno, OK.

I believe I shall make some quesadillas tonight. Pound out some chicken nice and flat so it cooks quickly, throw some seasoning of some sort on it (probably lime juice, vinegar, cumin, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic and onion), a good bit of cheese, and maybe some whole or re-fried black beans... needs a vegetable side though. Eh. I'll think of something.

Chicken pad thai from Chaang Thai, the local Thai restaurant downtown. First go at real pad thai. Om nom nom. Yum yum yum. :)

Shared some with mom. She'd never tried it either. It's now on her "must get again" list.

Cajungal

Staff member
I had a cooking party on Saturday with my coworkers! This is what we made...

White bean spinach dip...

Sweet potato hand pies

Peanut butter black bottom upside down pie

Asian lettuce wraps (Chicken and Vegan)

This one looks bad, because it had been really picked over before we got a picture. This was seared prosciutto with havarti and apple slices.

Spicy chickpea burgers

Focaccia

Stuffed 'bellas that become...

Bellingtons! (Portobello wellingtons)

And beef wellington bites for the carnivores!

My wife likes to make gumbo...but she never makes a roux. It's not gumbo without roux (well, unless you use filé..which she doesn't)

So, since she's working late, and I'm home, *I'm* making the gumbo. With roux. I expect CG to understand ;)