Whats for Dinner?

It's not dinner, but I baked a peach crumble pie in honor of pi day. I had never made a peach pie before and kind of tweaked the filling with some cinnamon, ginger, and a splash of vanilla. Other than the bottom crust being soggy and slightly undercooked it turned out pretty good. I think next time I'll bake the crust for a little while first.

When I was a kid, my parents weren't that well off. We would occasionally have a "smorgasbord" for dinner. Really, it was just cheese, crackers, and cold cuts. But we thought it was fun and awesome. (This was back before you could buy snack trays from the grocery store, and the cheese was, as often as not, free government cheese.)

I decided to resurrect the tradition tonight. My son was tickled pink by the idea...plus, we learned he loved the shit out of pepperoncinis!

(Really, this belongs in the now-defunct ghetto dinner thread...heh)

Attachments

Spaghetti and Italian sausage was one of my favorite combinations growing up, but unfortunately became rare once my brother became vegetarian. I just made it for myself in bulk to last for multiple meals this week.

spaghetti.jpg

not homemade..but delicious
http://ijcanns.com/

starter: fried oysters. They had just the right amount of breading (meaning, barely any), and were hot throughout, but not overcooked. So good, we ordered another.

Her: pinot noir, filet mignon, with a good amount of char on the outside, but bloody on the inside.
Me: dry martini (gin, not vodka, of course), grilled pork chops with a port and cranberry reduction. I think this had a bit of anchovy paste or fish sauce in it, giving it an awesome savory kick. Fruit reductions can be a big cloying or sweet, but this was anything but.

We both had garlic mashed potatoes and roast veg. It was pretty awesome.

I had a cooking party on Saturday with my coworkers! This is what we made...

White bean spinach dip...

Sweet potato hand pies

Peanut butter black bottom upside down pie

Asian lettuce wraps (Chicken and Vegan)

This one looks bad, because it had been really picked over before we got a picture. This was seared prosciutto with havarti and apple slices.

Spicy chickpea burgers

Focaccia

Stuffed 'bellas that become...

Bellingtons! (Portobello wellingtons)

And beef wellington bites for the carnivores!
I haven't visited this thread in a while.

This post made me turgid.

Make comfort food to help get over the vast wave of stupid at work today

Blue cheese steak, rare
Long grain buttery rice
Fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers garnished with cottage cheese
Ice cream for desert

and whisky.

I'm pretty much allowed to eat three things now. Meat, greens, and beans. That has been the main theme of all of my meals for the past week and a half. It's... not as sad as I would have expected it to be, really.

Tonight's variation on the theme: Roasted Tri-tip; sauteed zucchini, onion, radicchio, and garlic; and lima beans, with a quick pan sauce of Chinese rice wine, chicken stock, and dijon mustard.

Our poor-folk dinner was S.O.S. or chipped-beef. Dried-beef with gravy served on toast. Of course, we always had beans and cornbread every week. I love beans and cornbread. Now, we use smoked turkey wing/leg instead ham hocks, and we put serranos in the cornbread.

Our poor-folk dinner was S.O.S. or chipped-beef. Dried-beef with gravy served on toast. Of course, we always had beans and cornbread every week. I love beans and cornbread. Now, we use smoked turkey wing/leg instead ham hocks, and we put serranos in the cornbread.
Ours was creamed tuna on toast, or creamed eggs on toast. I really miss that food. And sadly, while I have 3 dozen eggs at home right now, I'm off bread until I can get my blood glucose within tolerance.

I love S.O.S. Nobody else in my family does :(
I feel your pain. I'm not much of a fan of SOS, but talking about foods from when I was a kid makes me want tuna noodle casserole. No one in this house would touch it but me. Ditto for anything with mushrooms (though Noah might give it a shot) or olives.

I feel your pain. I'm not much of a fan of SOS, but talking about foods from when I was a kid makes me want tuna noodle casserole. No one in this house would touch it but me. Ditto for anything with mushrooms (though Noah might give it a shot) or olives.
I can't live without mushrooms in my life.

When my daughter in law lived here, she claimed to hate mushrooms. I'd just chop them small and not tell her. She never noticed ;)

I still don't really care for big chunks of mushrooms, but I cook with minced shrooms all the time. I have also gained respect for black olives as an adult. I still don't like green olives or their European briny friends.

Trying to get back into eating healthy after eating like a fucking idiot for the last two weeks. Tonight I'm BBQing chicken thighs, baby potatoes and cauliflower.