What the hell, all the cool kids are doing it these days... ask me anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
My friends and I are watching horror movies over the course of the month and I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre is coming up soon. Have you seen it? I hear it's pretty scary.

Oh and have you seen The Thing? We saw that last night and I just realized something about it and wanted to ask someone what they thought about it.
I was just going back over the thread, since it was recently bumped, and I realized I totally missed this one because it was the last one on the page and then Pat started a new page. Anyway...

I have seen the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It is indeed pretty scary. And gory. It's a classic. They don't make em like that any more.

I have also seen The Thing. The original, not the remake, which I heard wasn't very good. I generally liked The Thing, though I have some nits to pick about it.

You ever go to eat a pork sausage, and find it's got hairs growin' all over it, only to realize that is was a dream and you've woken up with your cat's tail in your mouth?

GasBandit

Staff member
What are your Valentines Day plans?

You ever go to eat a pork sausage, and find it's got hairs growin' all over it, only to realize that is was a dream and you've woken up with your cat's tail in your mouth?
Thankfully my cat has yet to deign to put anything at all in my mouth. Though, he does often decide to lick my nose or cheeks to wake me up if he thinks he needs attention (or food). Also he likes to nibble my scalp/hair.

GasBandit

Staff member
Would you rather have a 10% raise or an extra week of vacation?
An extra week of vacation would really come in handy. I'm having to take quite a bit of unpaid time off this year. Kinda sucks that at my old job, I got 4 weeks of vacation a year (since I'd been there 16 years) but rarely got to use more than 1, but now at my new job I get 1 week of paid vacation but as I'm a programmer instead of mission-critical support staff and can take more time off without jeopardizing everything, I could actually use 3 or 4.

But on the other hand, another week would basically amount to a 2-3% raise (depending on overtime) as opposed to a 10% raise... so I guess to really balance such things out, I'd need like... 3 more weeks of vacation to make the bottom line worth more than a 10% raise.

GasBandit

Staff member
What prevents you from being a quick enough post editor?
I've moved from a job where I had my own office and could post on halforums all day in privacy to a job that usually keeps me busy all day, and even when it doesn't, I'm in an open cubicle where anybody could walk behind me at any time and see me NOT working. And to make matters worse, I'm on a "main thoroughfare" on my floor. I can't even go into the NSFW forums at work any more :(

But is that preferable to being in the middle of a dumpster fire? Also, has the radio station become a literal dumpster fire yet?

GasBandit

Staff member
But is that preferable to being in the middle of a dumpster fire?
Oh most definitely. If I am jonesing TOO badly I can always go to the bathroom and use my phone. Definitely 300% confirmed that bailing and coming here was the right move because...

Also, has the radio station become a literal dumpster fire yet?
Yyyyyep. About a month ago I found out the owner terminated the contract with the engineer, who was the other person besides me holding everything together. I give that place less than a year, now.

Please explain the origin of the hairy sausage question.

When you get an illness, are you the type to try to ride it out naturally or do you go to the doctor immediately?

Do you believe that Monty Python is the best sketch comedy group of all time or are you wrong?

Can you explain the Banach-Tarski Paradox to a 10-year-old?

GasBandit

Staff member
Please explain the origin of the hairy sausage question.
There was a song by The Dead Milkmen called Cousin Earl where a recurring theme is someone asking him the sausage question and then giving him "a look that chills him to this day." A few people have gotten the reference and responded appropriately, in their AMA threads.

When you get an illness, are you the type to try to ride it out naturally or do you go to the doctor immediately?
Depends on the severity. If it's just a cold, I usually don't bother. If it involves pain of level 5/10 or more, I usually would go immediately, or if it's a flu that has lasted more than a couple days, I'll go in.

Do you believe that Monty Python is the best sketch comedy group of all time or are you wrong?
Oh, they are definitely the gold standard to which all other comedy groups aspire.

Can you explain the Banach-Tarski Paradox to a 10-year-old?

How're things going between you and the Queen? Replaced #4 as her favourite henchman yet?
Quite well indeed. I'll spare you the details, but I'm quite pleased at how things are progressing.

How's the health? Have you gotten used to eating small bites and always keepingtabs on your dietary needs? If you had the option to go back in time - would you choose the same path? Would you choose more exercise and less eating instead of surgery? Would you want to go back even efurther and try and convince younger you simply to never get where you got to?
If you could suddenly eat anyting you wanted to, as much as you wanted to, again, without getting sick - would you try and stick to yuor current schedule? Or would you try to stay healthy but not as strict? Or would it probably end up right where you started in 10 years' time?

Are you still managing to keep the Tile Palace cleaner than your bachelor pad was? Or is the Queen's Anger the only reason you can still see the floor? :-P

If you had to move out of Texas - where would you move to? Would you be one of those "Everything is better in Texas" Texans, or would you try to adjust/adapt to your new environment?

GasBandit

Staff member
What about snow peas or sugar snap peas?

—Patrick
Never really had a problem with those, as long as there was ranch to dip them in :p

How's the health? Have you gotten used to eating small bites and always keepingtabs on your dietary needs? If you had the option to go back in time - would you choose the same path? Would you choose more exercise and less eating instead of surgery? Would you want to go back even efurther and try and convince younger you simply to never get where you got to?
If you could suddenly eat anyting you wanted to, as much as you wanted to, again, without getting sick - would you try and stick to yuor current schedule? Or would you try to stay healthy but not as strict? Or would it probably end up right where you started in 10 years' time?
This surgery is definitely one of the best things I've ever done for myself and I would not undo it. I've kind of hit a plateau at 260, but that's because I haven't been exercising like I should. Really, I don't think I'd have been able to get these kinds of results without the surgery, I was just too into eating too much and all the wrong/bad things. I miss things like bacon and barbecue and sausage, but I definitely don't miss the weight!

Are you still managing to keep the Tile Palace cleaner than your bachelor pad was? Or is the Queen's Anger the only reason you can still see the floor? :-P
I have a Roomba! The place practically cleans itself.

If you had to move out of Texas - where would you move to? Would you be one of those "Everything is better in Texas" Texans, or would you try to adjust/adapt to your new environment?
I think I've said before, but I actually much prefer the climate in New Mexico. When I lived there, I loved being able to walk out barefoot onto my front drive any time of the year pretty much and be comfortable. I like the low humidity - it makes the hot summers and cool winters much more bearable, and the desert and mountains are beautiful. It's just a shame the job market sucks so much there :p