What the hell, all the cool kids are doing it these days... ask me anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Where would you want to move to?
Either Colorado or New Mexico, to be closer to the rest of my family. Honestly, I haven't seen them as much as I'd like in recent years... and my grandfather's starting to get up there and have some serious health problems. He's had to be treated for two different cancers and a stroke in the last 10 years. Truth be told, I didn't move to Texas because I wanted to live in Texas... I came down here when I lost my job at Oracle in the dotcom crash, briefly considering going back to school, but ended up getting a job in radio and now here I am. Over the years I've put out feelers to get something going back in the Rockies, but haven't had any luck.

If I want to be carried to the gates of Valhalla by you, what is my weight limit?
It's been a while since I actually had to physically carry someone, but I'm guessing I can do up to 250 pounds or so piggyback. Maybe more, if you don't care how fast we get there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Will you eventually become the Sag Bandit?
Hell, I already sag in places, but I don't think I'll ever actually call myself that.

Have you ever had those Heinz beans?
Yeah, I mean, really, they're just baked beans. I picked that avatar, obviously, as a fart joke when I was 19, and the Heinz logo/can was more distinctive than Van Camp's or any other well known national food chains' beans.

I'd like to point out that it hit a high of 82 by me. BUT we always just some kind of freak snow before Halloween just to keep us on our toes.

So, serious question. Just because everybody hates those in these threads, but hey, "anything".

Say you were, for any old reason, going out. You met a woman who seems genuinely interested in you and seems to enjoy herself around you; you, likewise, enjoy talking to her. You share some interests, but not everything; enough to talk and not so much you wouldn't have anything private left. She's a hot redhead who's old enough for it not to be creepy, she's in no way related to you, your work, or whatever, there's nothing physically or practically against going out with her.

Shut her out, string her along while in doubt, go on a date, drink yourself into a stupor, other?

GasBandit

Staff member
It's starting to cool off here, too. The high is only 89 for today and tomorrow! Times like this, Texas weather ain't so bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you could cut the U.S. budget for one Dept., which would it be?
I wish I could cut the budget for all the departments! 10% across the board just to get things started! But if you're asking me what department/agency I'd *completely* eliminate, it'd be a toss up between the NSA and the TSA - the most egregious abuser of liberty and the most egregious example of an ineffective waste of taxpayer money.

Should Supreme Court judges have lifelong appointments?
I think there should be a retirement age (though with a pension so they're not susceptible to the same lobbyists that legislators are). The lifelong appointment bit is important to avoid corruption - I mean, say what you will about what you think about the beliefs of Scalia or Ginsburg, you sure as shit know that they're acting openly on their conscience, unlike every other branch of government. So we've got to preserve the inability to buy a supreme court judge, but at the same time, it's kinda ridiculous to have nonagenarians making decisions about, say, the internet.

Phew, I read that as NASA instead of NSA, and I was thinking "but...but....boooh!"

Did you deliberately skip my question?

GasBandit

Staff member
Phew, I read that as NASA instead of NSA, and I was thinking "but...but....boooh!"

Did you deliberately skip my question?
Wow, I honestly didn't see it there, it didn't show up for me last time I was in the thread I think.

So, serious question. Just because everybody hates those in these threads, but hey, "anything".

Say you were, for any old reason, going out. You met a woman who seems genuinely interested in you and seems to enjoy herself around you; you, likewise, enjoy talking to her. You share some interests, but not everything; enough to talk and not so much you wouldn't have anything private left. She's a hot redhead who's old enough for it not to be creepy, she's in no way related to you, your work, or whatever, there's nothing physically or practically against going out with her.

Shut her out, string her along while in doubt, go on a date, drink yourself into a stupor, other?
I don't see why this is a hard question. There don't seem to be any complicating factors, I'm into her, she's into me, she's not married or anything I assume... so it's a clear case for "date." Am I missing something?

I mean, if this is a roundabout way of asking me if I'm over Pauline enough to date again, I guess the answer is "as much so as I'm gonna get, I think."

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, yes.
See, the thing is, though, while I might no longer just be in "waiting to die" mode, I've spent the last couple years there, absolutely not taking care of myself and letting everything fall to ruin around me. So there's a lot of work for me to put in before I feel "good enough about me" to start putting myself out there again. And let me tell you, it's a lot harder to climb out of the "fat slob" pit than it was to fall into it.

See, the thing is, though, while I might no longer just be in "waiting to die" mode, I've spent the last couple years there, absolutely not taking care of myself and letting everything fall to ruin around me. So there's a lot of work for me to put in before I feel "good enough about me" to start putting myself out there again. And let me tell you, it's a lot harder to climb out of the "fat slob" pit than it was to fall into it.
There's no mandate that you have to chisel away at the person you've become in order to return to the person you were. You could always reshape yourself in some new way.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
There's no mandate that you have to chisel away at the person you've become in order to return to the person you were. You could always reshape yourself in some new way.

--Patrick
Well, whatever the destination, there's a lot of reshaping to do, or I'll have a heart attack and die under a mountain of dirty laundry and broken furniture.

This is not a question, but because of your obsession with hairy sausages in everyone else's AMAs, I could think of no better place to link this. This link is not safe for life.