[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
That part was okay. It was just all these characters who are on the boat. Zsasz, Oliver Queen, Cheetah. It was a cute issue and I didn't have a problem with Clark having some fun. The bit at the end with Bruce was funny, too.

Actually, that's another thing. They had Batman break into his apartment, Clark finds out who he is and then...nothing. Zero follow-up after that. It was just sort of left dangling after making a big deal out of it.
There was only, like, one or two more issues after that, though, wasn't there? I get the feeling a lot of the dangling threads could have been tied up if the run wasn't so short.

It was really too bad, it was the first Superman comic in a long time I had gotten invested in, and it felt like they were rushing through the end and it was over immediately after it found its stride, tied up in a hasty bow.

There was only, like, one or two more issues after that, though, wasn't there? I get the feeling a lot of the dangling threads could have been tied up if the run wasn't so short.

It was really too bad, it was the first Superman comic in a long time I had gotten invested in, and it felt like they were rushing through the end and it was over immediately after it found its stride, tied up in a hasty bow.
The Batman issue? That was the fourth issue of the seven-issue series, so there was still enough to work with before the end. The final issue felt really ho-hum, too, with Lobo there just to give him something to punch. To say nothing of being the one to reveal to Superman about Krypton. It just sort of felt out of nowhere. Landis tried to end it on some kind of a poignant note, but it fell completely flat for me.

Fight Club 2

Also borrowed this out from the library. It was...okay, I guess? I don't know. Maybe I was in a bad mood while I read it. Maybe American Alien left me in a bad mood. But I didn't really understand what was going on. Especially towards the end. See, scattered throughout the book, there are some meta moments where we actually see Chuck Palaniuk writing the story with the help of other writers. The final issue is one giant meta-dump and I honestly don't have a clue what happened by the end. Not to mention that they made the Tyler Durden character some kind of psychological pathogen that's passed down from generation to generation. Or that you had a whole group of reverse-aging Benjamin Button characters that felt far too wacky and out of place with everything else.

So, yeah, it was...blech. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

I love American Alien, sure each issue is tied together about as much as Multiversity was, but in both cases it works for me. It manages to drive home a point that had been missing from anything Superman related for most of the 21st century. He's an honest to goodness person, who has to overcome his own fears, doubts, and worries like the rest of us. He's not a poorly thought out Jesus Metaphor who puts up with those mere mortals that he can never be a part of.

Also, I will never not get a kick out of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne being able to pull off a parent trap. Just a great little piece of the silver age that's stuck around since 1954.

I love American Alien, sure each issue is tied together about as much as Multiversity was, but in both cases it works for me. It manages to drive home a point that had been missing from anything Superman related for most of the 21st century. He's an honest to goodness person, who has to overcome his own fears, doubts, and worries like the rest of us. He's not a poorly thought out Jesus Metaphor who puts up with those mere mortals that he can never be a part of.
I get that. It's one of the things I did like about the series. As I said, I liked the character work for the most part. It's still the arm burning off scene that bothers me. It killed any enjoyment I could have for the rest of the series, which honestly was pretty sloppy storytelling. Good moments, just not a good series overall.

Re-reading the original Booster Gold series, FUCK Mindancer was cool! Brain bolts, mind-control, energy absorption, telepathy, possible levitation, AND A SKULL FOR A FACE! And how many issues was this bad-ass villainess in?! Four real appearances, one Encyclopedia entry, and two fucking cameos...DAMMIT DC! Seriously, almost ALL the original villains from BG's series dissapeared, at least one died honorably on the Suicide Squad.

I also read the abridged version of Sam Wilson Captain America 17 ....just so stupid. Did they mix up scripts with Deadpool, because these did not feel like Cap villains,they felt like the idiotic villains of the week Deadpool or Harley Quinn would take care of.

Lobo (2014) first ish

...I've never been so sad to learn something was as bad as it was. The most enjoyable part of this damn book was when the REAL Lobo was a talking head right before he was fragged(he gets better). This Lobo...is just too lame, he's all the murder and gore of Lobo minus any of the humor or heart that went into the original character. Maybe if they hammed up how edgey he was trying to be, but its played too straight.

One Fine Summer, by Jillian Tamaki & Mariko Tamaki

This was a wonderful coming of age graphic novel. Not sure if it'd be considered Young Adult, though, since it deals with some pretty heavy themes and has a bit of swearing. Still, I'm glad I finally got to read this. I'd heard nothing but good things about it and they were all right.

Black Magick Volume 1, by Greg Rucka & Nicola Scott

Aside from maybe DC's Checkmate, I don't think there's a single Greg Rucka comic I didn't like. The guy constantly brings the goods. This is no different. It's like a detective book, but also heavily mixed with Wiccan magick. The art style especially drew me in (no pun intended). The majority of the art's colour palette is like a greyscale. Not really sure how to describe it. Not fully black and white, but devoid of colour...except with anything involving magic. Then the colours are bright and vibrant. Even little objects influenced by magic pop out among the greyscale. Really great stuff.

Slapstick Infinite comics #1

...the Mask. This is basically the Mask. Cartoony anti-hero who slaughters a bunch of people, its The Mask. The old Slapstick comics were silly yeah, but it was its own KIND of silly, this honestly lacks the soul of the original limited series.

One Fine Summer, by Jillian Tamaki & Mariko Tamaki

This was a wonderful coming of age graphic novel. Not sure if it'd be considered Young Adult, though, since it deals with some pretty heavy themes and has a bit of swearing. Still, I'm glad I finally got to read this. I'd heard nothing but good things about it and they were all right.
I think you mean This One Summer, which I got last year and really enjoyed. Glad to see you liked it, too!

BananaHands

Staff member
Spider-man/Deadpool #14 -

Holy shit.

Joe Kelly is writing an amazing Spider-Man book under the guise of a title that just screams meme-ridden shenanigans. Mephisto has been taunting ol' Spidey about OMD here and there, but now Deadpool knows all about it and it's up to him to save the Spider-Man franchise, apparently.

Also, it was great to see Nightcrawler written by someone competent again.

Superman 17 DARK HARVEST!

...WELP *clap* that was spooky as fuck!

Green Lanterns 17: Darkest Knight part 2

Scarecrow with Sinestro corps powers...BUY IT!

AND Batman is getting ready for a SHOOOOOOWDOWN, and Supersons shows NOTHING but promise.

Last edited:
Batman #18 was terrific. Such a packed issue, with everything going on now, in the past, and then I kept thinking it was about to end, but then something else would happen.

All that written word telling us so much, and then the final two pages have zero dialogue but so much force. First Batman appearing and disappearing in the lightning. Then Bane tossing aside all patience and planning to just storm up to Arkham and bring the door crashing in.

For anyone that enjoys Locke & Key, it looks like the latest humble comic bundle includes all of Locke & Key:

Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft ($5 level)
Locke & Key: Grindhouse oneshot ($10 level)
Locke & Key: The Guide to Known Keys oneshot ($10 level)
Volumes 2-6 ($18 level)
Locke & Key: Small World oneshot ($18 level)

Of course it won't help collectors of physical copies, but if you're in it just for the stories, there you go. So far as I can tell, that's everything (wikipedia link) - the 6 volumes and the three one shots.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/creator-showcase-comics-bundle

Expires in just over a week. I know nothing about the other contents of the bundle, perhaps others can give us a heads up on other portions of the bundle.

For anyone that enjoys Locke & Key, it looks like the latest humble comic bundle includes all of Locke & Key:

Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft ($5 level)
Locke & Key: Grindhouse oneshot ($10 level)
Locke & Key: The Guide to Known Keys oneshot ($10 level)
Volumes 2-6 ($18 level)
Locke & Key: Small World oneshot ($18 level)

Of course it won't help collectors of physical copies, but if you're in it just for the stories, there you go. So far as I can tell, that's everything (wikipedia link) - the 6 volumes and the three one shots.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/creator-showcase-comics-bundle

Expires in just over a week. I know nothing about the other contents of the bundle, perhaps others can give us a heads up on other portions of the bundle.
Seconding Locke & Key. It's wonderful. If I had the money, I'd love to buy the newer collections they've released: three deluxe hardcovers, collecting volumes 1-6. I have the first, which I bought when I had an income, but haven't bought the other two.

(Also, I'm insane as usual for re-buying newer editions of collections.)

Is Faith good? I read a bit of the first issue, and the unorganic use of pop-culture reference didn's fly with me. Also a cop called her "sweetheart" after taking out a robber, which made me all "...who the fuck would actually say that in 2017? AND TO A SUPERHERO?!"

In other news, "Dr.Stone" saves the day by being a generally INVENTIVE post-apocalyptic story! IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN, a plague striked man-kind turning them all into stone! The only apparent survivors are two high school students, who were able to fight off the plague through sheer force of will alone. Together, they will save humanity and rise above the new stone age!

Also the main characters have some nice face designs-THANK-fully. Manga artists have gotten stale in my opinion.

Finished the first Aquaman trade. The Rebirth issue felt a bit rough and the first real issue was decent, but issue 2 is where it hit Abnett's quality writing.

Adding to my pull list on Wednesday.

BananaHands

Staff member
Just read the issue. :( I'm not sure what to make of things now. I'm sure Prime is there, but ...

I'm not sure if Prime is the other Clark, or if it's whoever escaped from Mr. Oz.

Tim Drake at the beginning had me cracking up.
It leaked.

TOMORROW'S ACTION COMICS SPOILER:

The little lego version of him too-AWESOME!

I mean really, this was some META truth right here, a staple of the franchise for DECADES-and he was pushed over to the side. FOR WHOM?! Lord Vyndktvx. Grant, I love ya, but no Imp name should be easily pronounceable. Maybe throw in some apostrophes and it could be a Martian name, but not an Imp name.

Last edited:
Picked up The Power of the Dark Crystal by Archaia Comics, continuation of the Dark Crystal movie 100 years later. Nice art, interesting take on the story, I do believe that I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. Aughra, Jen and Kira are still around, and facing a dilemma of how to help someone that needs a shard of the Crystal.

Picked up The Power of the Dark Crystal by Archaia Comics, continuation of the Dark Crystal movie 100 years later. Nice art, interesting take on the story, I do believe that I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. Aughra, Jen and Kira are still around, and facing a dilemma of how to help someone that needs a shard of the Crystal.
...interested.

--Patrick