[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

How about spoilers in the spoilers tag, yeah? You put your theory in spoilers but not the actual spoiler.

Anyway, another excellent issue. I need to send some fan message to Tom King that wife and I are loving his run. If all he sees is Reddit, he might have the wrong idea because Kite Man aside, they seem to hate it there.
My bad, and agreed.

A lot of the flack on it is because Catwoman "killed" all those terrorists, but honestly given what the story presented us with it made sense.

My bad, and agreed.

A lot of the flack on it is because Catwoman "killed" all those terrorists, but honestly given what the story presented us with it made sense.
It made sense to me too, and also made sense that Batman would insist on this course of action, but he also seems to think the whole thing is a crock of shit. Likely won't be resolved anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Duke is probably looking at that same night sky from Wayne Manor, thinking "gee I sure hope Batman gets back with Psycho Pirate soon so we can help Claire. I'm sure he's trying hard to get here ASAP." :p

It made sense to me too, and also made sense that Batman would insist on this course of action, but he also seems to think the whole thing is a crock of shit. Likely won't be resolved anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Duke is probably looking at that same night sky from Wayne Manor, thinking "gee I sure hope Batman gets back with Psycho Pirate soon so we can help Claire. I'm sure he's trying hard to get here ASAP." :p
GRAH-I know, you'd think that would come first BUT NO-Batman and Catwoman gotta give Condiment King, Kiteman, and Gorilla Boss the business....seriously Condiment King's continued existence in the DC canon is both hilarious and confounding.

Also after reading 14 again, I'm a little conlicted on Zebraman being one of the throwaways, dude has magnet powers! How have they never been able to do anything clever with him? And apparently in 2011 t hey tried calling him "Vortex", because THAT was gonna work!

Champions #4 was half a good issue when the kids were dealing with the aftermath of last month's cliffhanger, and then the rest of it was just meh. At least they've officially chosen a team leader

Kamala, of course. Scott is sort of picked, but he then defers to her. Young Scott Summers is winning me over as the second most patient member of the group, first being Miles.

Warning though: If you haven't finished The Vision, do so. This has major spoilers for volume 2.

I have a feeling next month's issue will be better. One, we get Gwenpool involved and considering he confrontation with Miles in her series, I'm interested how the team will handle a murderer wanting to join them, and two, the only Monsters Unleashed tie-in I'm looking forward to, so long as Mark Waid is writing it.

I gotta praise DC; I'm not interested in Justice League vs Suicide Squad, but the event is almost over. December and January, in and out, done with, only affects a couple titles. Good going, DC.

Titans #7 was supposed to be my last issue after my disappointment with the finale to the first arc, in which DC essentially said "Rebirth is fixing New 52, but not undoing it." I was only still picking up this issue because I wanted to see pre-Flashpoint Superman meet with Wally so they could talk about the old universe and maybe compare notes, but instead Superman just gave Wally some encouragement and that part of the issue was kinda disappointing.

BUT, the rest of the issue was glorious. I didn't even realize there was so much to talk about with it until talking about it to my wife and character moments came spilling out. Omen, Aqualad, and Nightwing dealing with lawyer shit, Donna Troy and Arsenal having cute and silly stuff. I appreciate how much shit people give Arsenal in this issue, such as getting flustered when Superman appears. "S-sir ..." XD But the funniest thing to me ...

At the end of the previous issue, Omen reads one word from Presto's mind: "Manhattan." Now, we know this is in reference to Dr. Manhattan and the whole Watchmen plot with Rebirth, but the Titans don't know that, so what do they do? They interpret it to mean they're supposed to be in Manhattan or something bad will happen in Manhattan, so Nightwing gets Bruce Wayne to bankroll them making Manhattan the new base of operations for the Titans. It's so stupid, but it makes sense because they don't know what we know. The final shot of the issue reveals the building they were doing lawyer stuff in to be the big T, and Superman remarks how good it is to see the T again.

I also love how the public keeps going "Titans? Like the Teen Titans?" and how it grates on the group. So yeah, I was going to stop reading this, but dammit, Dan Abnett is such a solid writer. I really need to check out his Aquaman.

On the subject of Aquaman...can Superman not breathe underwater? I saw one of the latest Aquaman issues with Superman wearing a breathing aperatus, and that looked weird to me. Dude can breathe in space, but not underwater...something is confusing there.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the subject of Aquaman...can Superman not breathe underwater? I saw one of the latest Aquaman issues with Superman wearing a breathing aperatus, and that looked weird to me. Dude can breathe in space, but not underwater...something is confusing there.
He can't breathe in either place, IIRC, he can just hold his breath ridiculously long. But hey, if there's an oxygen source handy, why not?

I think him breathing in space was short-lived. He can hold his breath for long periods of time, but it's still limited.

I gotta praise DC; I'm not interested in Justice League vs Suicide Squad, but the event is almost over. December and January, in and out, done with, only affects a couple titles. Good going, DC.

Titans #7 was supposed to be my last issue after my disappointment with the finale to the first arc, in which DC essentially said "Rebirth is fixing New 52, but not undoing it." I was only still picking up this issue because I wanted to see pre-Flashpoint Superman meet with Wally so they could talk about the old universe and maybe compare notes, but instead Superman just gave Wally some encouragement and that part of the issue was kinda disappointing.

BUT, the rest of the issue was glorious. I didn't even realize there was so much to talk about with it until talking about it to my wife and character moments came spilling out. Omen, Aqualad, and Nightwing dealing with lawyer shit, Donna Troy and Arsenal having cute and silly stuff. I appreciate how much shit people give Arsenal in this issue, such as getting flustered when Superman appears. "S-sir ..." XD But the funniest thing to me ...

At the end of the previous issue, Omen reads one word from Presto's mind: "Manhattan." Now, we know this is in reference to Dr. Manhattan and the whole Watchmen plot with Rebirth, but the Titans don't know that, so what do they do? They interpret it to mean they're supposed to be in Manhattan or something bad will happen in Manhattan, so Nightwing gets Bruce Wayne to bankroll them making Manhattan the new base of operations for the Titans. It's so stupid, but it makes sense because they don't know what we know. The final shot of the issue reveals the building they were doing lawyer stuff in to be the big T, and Superman remarks how good it is to see the T again.

I also love how the public keeps going "Titans? Like the Teen Titans?" and how it grates on the group. So yeah, I was going to stop reading this, but dammit, Dan Abnett is such a solid writer. I really need to check out his Aquaman.
His Aquaman has been great. Solid political super-hero action with plenty of supporting cast and side plots that weave in and out.

This must be one of those new things.

--Patrick
As far back as Post-Crisis as far as I know. He was able to breathe in space for awhile when he recovered from his death. He can hold his breath for LONG periods of time, like in the middle of a fight or a rescue. But if it's for extended periods, like an underwater adventure with Aquaman, he brings a breathing apparatus.

I've not been able to find any difinitive proof from the silver age. I've seen him use his super breath, and one panel where he says something.

I did find this from early post-crisis.
IMG_0039.JPG

I've not been able to find any difinitive proof from the silver age.
There's a specific silver/bronze age comic I was trying to find that kinda explains the fact that he doesn't need to breathe (back then), but I wasn't able to find it on the web. In it, red kryptonite (again?) has split Superman into three (?) beings from his past, present, and future. Future Superman is physically broader and has the ability to change his body into different substances (like Metamorpho, I guess?). He uses this ability to transform into a magnetic material to draw away a bunch of kryptonite meteorites/asteroids/dust or something, but after the red K wears off, (regular) Superman muses that he could've just used his super-breath, since unlike future Superman he makes it a point to remember to fill his lungs up with air before leaving Earth's atmosphere.

--Patrick

Last edited:

BananaHands

Staff member

Yeah, the Clark/Wally meeting was just a big tease. Sigh.

Oh, RHatO has continued to be so damn enjoyable. They even have Bruce having a sense of humor, which is rare since Snyder.

fade

Staff member
In Injustice 2, how come
Kyle Rayner goes out like a punk? Isn't he supposedly the most powerful GL? I mean, if Sinestro could just pop off GL fingers, then why hasn't he done that a thousand times in the past?

BananaHands

Staff member
In Injustice 2, how come
Kyle Rayner goes out like a punk? Isn't he supposedly the most powerful GL? I mean, if Sinestro could just pop off GL fingers, then why hasn't he done that a thousand times in the past?
There's no logic to the Injustice universe. A lot of people go out like punks.

fade

Staff member
I meant Injustice Year Two, by the way. I realized I needed clarify now that there's an Injustice 2 game trailer.

There are a number of them, you just don't hear about them amidst Marvel screwing over comic stores with heaps of unwanted shit.

Also, U.S. Avengers is Squirrel Girl related. She's one of the team members.
The former proves your point, the latter does not as Squirrel girl.

The former proves your point, the latter does not as Squirrel girl.
You should probably use more than Halforums to keep an eye on this stuff if you're looking for good Marvel comics right now.

The quality of a lot of the different titles isn't in question; it's how Marvel's editorial steers them that becomes a problem. Right now, comic stores are supposed to be putting in orders for a Top Secret trade paperback. Right, even the stores aren't allowed to know what it is and thus gauge interest? Nice going, Marvel.