[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Fireforce a.k.a. Fire Brigade of Flames

Its about a team of crack-soldiers composed of pyrokinetics, firefighters, and holy people, working together against the constant threat of human combustion-ALL THE WHILE-the main character finds out the true secret behind his mother's murder. Its actually kind of interesting the different ways some of these characters use fire abilities, I like it.

So I tried reading a new comic last night: Monstress. Image comic by Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda.

And...I honestly don't see why everyone was raving about it. The one great thing about it is the jaw-dropping gorgeous artwork. But the characters are dull, the world isn't very interesting (and a bit confusing on who each faction is), and the story feels like any other manga or anime.

So I tried reading a new comic last night: Monstress. Image comic by Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda.

And...I honestly don't see why everyone was raving about it. The one great thing about it is the jaw-dropping gorgeous artwork. But the characters are dull, the world isn't very interesting (and a bit confusing on who each faction is), and the story feels like any other manga or anime.
Being an Image comic, I went in expecting it not to explain anything and that I'd have to glean/make assumpations at who was who and what was what. It kept with expectations.

Maybe I liked it more because I don't read manga and barely watch anime though. But I've only read volume 1.

Being an Image comic, I went in expecting it not to explain anything and that I'd have to glean/make assumpations at who was who and what was what. It kept with expectations.

Maybe I liked it more because I don't read manga and barely watch anime though. But I've only read volume 1.
Which I get. It's like starting a new movie or TV show. You don't always know what's going on at first. But here, I found even when they explained who was who and which faction they belonged to, it was all meaningless garble to me.

I bought The Flash: book one by Mark Waid a couple months and have just gotten around to it now.

This collection starts rough. First is a lengthy Flash retrospective where parts that take place in golden/silver age read that way. I ended up not really finishing it. Then is an annual what-if story ... not feeling that either. Starting to regret buying this.

Then, over 140 pages into the collection, comes the first actual monthly of Waid's run. After two of those real issues, regret fades away and I'm enjoying the book. Just wish I hadn't had to slog through that other crap to get here. But at least it does get better and I can look forward to book two in a couple months.

I bought The Flash: book one by Mark Waid a couple months and have just gotten around to it now.

This collection starts rough. First is a lengthy Flash retrospective where parts that take place in golden/silver age read that way. I ended up not really finishing it. Then is an annual what-if story ... not feeling that either. Starting to regret buying this.

Then, over 140 pages into the collection, comes the first actual monthly of Waid's run. After two of those real issues, regret fades away and I'm enjoying the book. Just wish I hadn't had to slog through that other crap to get here. But at least it does get better and I can look forward to book two in a couple months.
Yeah, I had a similar feeling. I knew it got better, but those specials or annuals were kind of a slog to get through. I also found the last issue - an Annual tying in with the Eclipso event - to be the worst of the bunch. It was near incomprehensible for me.

But the next volume? Hoo daddy, you're in for some good stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a similar feeling. I knew it got better, but those specials or annuals were king of a slog to get through. I also found the last issue - an Annual tying in with the Eclipso event - to be the worst of the bunch. It was near incomprehensible for me.

But the next volume? Hoo daddy, you're in for some good stuff.
I'm starting to think I just plain don't like annuals. Which really sucks in collections because they can take up such a chunk of the pages.

I'm starting to think I just plain don't like annuals. Which really sucks in collections because they can take up such a chunk of the pages.
They're REALLY hit and miss. I think Vol. 2 includes the Bloodlines annual, for example. Though if I recall, the Flash annual was one of the better ones.

On the subject they're doing a new Bloodlines thing, where the main character is basically a blue hulk....I know I should say "trust in Rebirth" but...blue hulk.

On the subject they're doing a new Bloodlines thing, where the main character is basically a blue hulk....I know I should say "trust in Rebirth" but...blue hulk.
That'd be Loose Cannon. He's from the original Bloodlines. He basically IS The Hulk, except his colour changes depending on his mood. Blue is default, but I think he turned red if he was angry or something. Basically a human mood ring.

He...wasn't one of the better characters to come out of that event. Really, few of them were.
Hitman was the only real good to come from that.
Anima was interesting; she had her own series for awhile, but she wasn't interesting enough to carry her own book.
I think Gunfire had his own series, but it got cancelled quick.

That'd be Loose Cannon. He's from the original Bloodlines. He basically IS The Hulk, except his colour changes depending on his mood. Blue is default, but I think he turned red if he was angry or something. Basically a human mood ring.

He...wasn't one of the better characters to come out of that event. Really, few of them were.
Hitman was the only real good to come from that.
Anima was interesting; she had her own series for awhile, but she wasn't interesting enough to carry her own book.
I think Gunfire had his own series, but it got cancelled quick.
For a second I thought you said the event was a loose canon, like it could've happened or could've not happened, but than I was all-"OH-that was his name!"

And I figured that was the case, most of them pretty much either disappeared, or in the case of the "Blood Pack" were killed off in a Grant Morrison story years after their terrible book was cancelled-THE HIGHEST-honor.

I'm getting back into reading comics. I picked up the first two Bombshells trades from the DC Comics app (they're on sale right now). Wow. I love Elseworlds in general, but I think this one just might be my favorite. Really interesting takes on the characters, and the WWII setting is the icing on the cake. Sadly, the digital trades are taking forever to get published, so it will be a long wait to catch up. *sigh*

I'm getting back into reading comics. I picked up the first two Bombshells trades from the DC Comics app (they're on sale right now). Wow. I love Elseworlds in general, but I think this one just might be my favorite. Really interesting takes on the characters, and the WWII setting is the icing on the cake. Sadly, the digital trades are taking forever to get published, so it will be a long wait to catch up. *sigh*
I've heard it's a LOT more fun than it has any right to be (a comic based off statues). Once I start working, I'm definitely picking them up for myself.

And speaking of well-written comics featuring strong women.

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon, by Jill Thompson

Absolutely wonderful comic from beginning to end. I hope Thompson does more of these because it was well-written and features absolutely gorgeous art.

Of course, it's Jill Thompson, so that shouldn't be too surprising.

I've heard it's a LOT more fun than it has any right to be (a comic based off statues). Once I start working, I'm definitely picking them up for myself.

And speaking of well-written comics featuring strong women.

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon, by Jill Thompson

Absolutely wonderful comic from beginning to end. I hope Thompson does more of these because it was well-written and features absolutely gorgeous art.

Of course, it's Jill Thompson, so that shouldn't be too surprising.
Ohh, I was wondering about True Amazon. I think I'll go ahead and pick it up then. :D

Bombshells is very fun. I'm really looking forward to them adding more characters. I'm hoping Mary Batson will eventually join the team as Captain Marvel/Shazam. Then maybe I can finally forgive DC for what they did to her with that whole Darkseid thing in Final Crisis. :mad:

Brother Power the Geek: 1 + 2

This may be the weirdest superhero comic I've ever read and I LOVE it! Anyone want the CBZ files, I'm willing to send 'em to y'all.

Swampthing Annual number 5

Because I'm on a Brother Power kick, and MAN...was it obvious Neil didn't read the previous comic in quite a while, and considering there was a 20 year gap between the publication of these two comics I'm not blaming him. Pow in the original mini-mini-series wasn't some idiot who'd spout random hippy slogans, he was a new life who was open to any ideas as long as they were presented in a positive manner. He went from defender of hippies, to potential congressman, to unwitting public menace,to protector of juvenile delinquents, to captain of industry, to space captive in TWO issues! But when he comes back, he loses all real character that was attached to him and pretty much became just some Swamp Thing monster of the week responsible for the deaths of over 5000 people, which I also find annoying given he's a pacifist and it DIDN'T PHASE HIM ONCE IN THE WHOLE ISSUE! I mean, he just became this giant puppet monster because...why not?! And fuck you parliament of trees, saying he's a failed elemental is an insult, he didn't fail, he was REJECTED by his universe Limbo style, because he was too ahead of his time. And its weird, when Neil did a Prez Rickard story in Sandman while it was surreal it felt in spirit with what the character was in an amplified way, this however KINDA didn't. I'm guessing primarily because while obscure, Prez had more of a presence due to higher sales in being a proper mini-series of four issues and left more an impression. I also find it ironic since both Prez and Brother Power were written by the same man Joe Simon(man did that guy love hippies). I'm just saying while I still mostly enjoyed it as a Swamp Thing Story, I still felt bringing back an obscure comic book character just to be a monster of the week was kind of a bad way to bring him back, and given that he literally had TWO real appearances afterwards, it kind says something.

Prez(1973)

ISSUE 1: This isn't a true story, but it COULD be someday.

ISSUE 4: VAMPIRES IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

.... well that escalated quickly.

And weirdly enough Dracula wasn't even really a villain, he was a crippled old man who ultimately just wanted more water for his country, until Prez straight up DROVE HIM TO WAR! Still like it for the whacky seventies comic it is, but kind-of a weird message there.

Last edited:
Supersons Issue 2

Love the parts with Jon...tolerate, the parts with bitchy Damian. "Wah wah wah, I want a case for myself!" CRY ME A RIVER RICH BOY! How long is it gonna take before he realizes that he should stop being a turd to people?!

In other news, Bane's going NUTS on Arkham and Batman still can't ask the Justice League to help for...some reason, the Green Lanterns are trying to find Dr.Polaris after he killed a bunch of Task Force X soldiers who were trying to force him to work for white Amanda Waller in exchange for curing his cancer ridden brother because doing that WITHOUT threatening him was off the table, DC's Ultimate Dr.Doom has conquered DC's Latveria, and lots of Mxyzptlk crazyness.

Last edited:
Supersons Issue 2

Love the parts with Jon...tolerate, the parts with bitchy Damian. "Wah wah wah, I want a case for myself!" CRY ME A RIVER RICH BOY! How long is it gonna take before he realizes that he should stop being a turd to people?!
How many years has it been since he was introduced? More than those.

Superman Reborn ended as predicted, though with less bang than the previous issue. I don't think Jurgens can really land a punch the way Tomasi does.

Oh lord he was officially born in 1987-HE'LL BE COMPETENT JASON TODD FOR AN ETERNITY!

AND-kinda agree. Jurgens is better at the action part, while Tomasi brings more heart to the story. Still liked it though. But kinda....wandering about something-
-this series pretty much confirms Prime Earth Lois, and Prime Earth Superman were actually a lost part of their New Earth counterparts...and during their split Prime Earth Supes fell in love with Wonder Woman. I know Clark said he'd never forget his love for Lois, and I believe him...but part of me thinks his old feelings for Wondy might be lingering deep in his sub-conscious. I mean GRANTED they imply they restructure the continuity in a way that makes sense now, but I still think something might happen.

AND-kinda agree. Jurgens is better at the action part, while Tomasi brings more heart to the story. Still liked it though. But kinda....wandering about something-
-this series pretty much confirms Prime Earth Lois, and Prime Earth Superman were actually a lost part of their New Earth counterparts...and during their split Prime Earth Supes fell in love with Wonder Woman. I know Clark said he'd never forget his love for Lois, and I believe him...but part of me thinks his old feelings for Wondy might be lingering deep in his sub-conscious. I mean GRANTED they imply they restructure the continuity in a way that makes sense now, but I still think something might happen.
In a way, this Superman crossover was a mini-crisis, and that somehow makes less sense than a full-on crisis. Psycho Pirate's probably having a stroke in Arkham at that moment.

I don't think we'll have to be concerned about lingering Wonder Woman feelings thanks to the restructuring, but that does bring up continuity issues, i.e. yeah, their personal history has changed, but is that just in their heads? It'd be one thing to say that Superman was split into red and blue for the duration of New 52, but Mr. Oz indicates reality has shifted. So ... what is the continuity now? Seems Lois and Clark's place in Convergence never happened as we see her in labor in the Fortress of Solitude. What about all the shit that went on for New 52 Superman?

I guess any questions will be answered with whatever the writers feel like keeping or changing, but I'd have rather this issue have been a little longer so we had more to go on than a two-page spread of fragmented memories. What the hell does Jon remember? Does this have ripple effects through the rest of the DC world, since signficant character stuff has had to do with out with New 52 Superman, in with Rebirth Superman.

Some aspects of all this suggest that by the end of the two-year Rebirth story, we'll see the old continuity reestablished with the presumption that the New 52 stuff also happened. However, that goes against what's gone on in Titans where both the Speedforce and Superman told Wally more or less that his old life with Linda was gone and he had to let that go in order to make a new life with her. So who knows ...

Oh lord he was officially born in 1987-HE'LL BE COMPETENT JASON TODD FOR AN ETERNITY!

Jesus Christ, I'm getting a headache trying to understand all this.

Congratulations, DC. You dun goofed your fancy, new reboot after dun goofing your PREVIOUS reboot.

NO BUYS.
Next arc's solicits are supposed to extrapolate on what it means for Superman; it might not be an actual fuck-up so much as Jurgens isn't that great a writer. It also only affects two titles, so it's nowhere near the scope of genuine known DC fuck-ups.

Also also you weren't buying anyway :p.

Eh, for me its a little overly-complicated at best...especially considering by the knowledge of Convergence New Earth will exist seperately from this reality any way and-NOPE-not getting into it.

Also I'll take overly-complicated rather than the...utterly depressing bull-crap that was the New52 version, holy crap I read a scan of issue 32 to find a good pic of Mr.Oz and dear LORD-just go to a bar man! He was making himself a sad-man's dinner, his girlfriend Diana was busy with work, he even called ALFRED to see if Batman could hang out with him. He was so lonely he tried to schedule a playdate with BATMAN! Just...just too sad.

fade

Staff member
Death of the Family

I mean, I don't know. They were there, so I read them. We get teased with Joker's identity, which I don't really care about anyway. The only way it matters is if it's someone we know, which will instantly make it stupid anyway. The Arkham scene was okay, especially the flaming horse. But that's about it.

Joker's Daughter

Bleh. Feels like they gave some emo kid a pen and told them to write a script, and they made up a girlfriend.

fade

Staff member
Under the Red Hood

Now this was good. Well drawn action scenes, good pacing. Some hammy exposition boxes, but okay. Just the right touch of humor, especially from Red Hood himself. Recommended.

Under the Red Hood

Now this was good. Well drawn action scenes, good pacing. Some hammy exposition boxes, but okay. Just the right touch of humor, especially from Red Hood himself. Recommended.
Only two things kill it for me:
1) Tying it in with Infinite Crisis by having Jason Todd's resurrection happen because Superboy Prime punches the walls of reality.
2) The very last page, with another "what?s going on? READ INFINITE CRISIS!"

The animated adaptation is so much better because it tosses that crossover event crap.

Gwenpool stray issues

I...I don't care for this. I know the writer of Dr.Mcninja writes this, but I just don't care for it. Its not the WORST Marvel property out there, but it ain't the best. Basically Gwen is all the fourth wall breaking of Deadpool, but almost NONE of the proper back-story, pathos, or charm. Granted she's not Superboy Prime "Hero from place where all famous heroes are fictional" bad, but its just your basic Marvel 4th wall deconstruction.

Gwenpool stray issues

I...I don't care for this. I know the writer of Dr.Mcninja writes this, but I just don't care for it. Its not the WORST Marvel property out there, but it ain't the best. Basically Gwen is all the fourth wall breaking of Deadpool, but almost NONE of the proper back-story, pathos, or charm. Granted she's not Superboy Prime "Hero from place where all famous heroes are fictional" bad, but its just your basic Marvel 4th wall deconstruction.
"Hi, I'm Yoshi, and I read the first issue." :p Gwenpool started moving away from that after issue 5. The comic has been a lot stronger and funnier since it found its own thing to be.

Stray issues, STRAY. I'm just saying from the issues I've read it don't feel like nothing special, and I've read better stories of the main character using story tropes to their advantage ala "Order of the Stick". Also I think one line about nameless extras she said felt COMPLETELY ripped out from an Order of the Stick comic.

Also her Weasel came back as a ghost, because him staying DEAD wouldn't fucking cement that this is all real and that's just as fictional as the world she inhabits. Y'alls like what ya like, it ain't my cup of ram's blood.

"Stray issues" doesn't tell what you read, it tells me that sometimes you see comic books wandering the streets that will share pasta dinners with people's decent domesticated comic books.

Last edited: