[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Multiversity Grant Morrison at his Grant Morrisoniest and I fucking LOVE IT!

ALSO-on Batman
-HOORAY-Batman was right and Catwoman isn't a murderer! But...Holly is....feel weird about this.

Jessica Cruz continues to be the most relatable super hero EVER, and Superman instantly becomes the brains of a super team he JUST joined because he's mother-fucking SUPERMAN!

I don't know how I'm ever supposed to get caught up on a DC comic I haven't been reading from the start. By the time a trade comes out for a main book, I'm still eight issues behind. Marvel's a bit better, usually when a trade comes out you're only two issues behind. Image seems to do it best, popping the trade out the month after the trade's last issue debuted. Right now I'm hesitant to even start reading Wonder Woman or Aquaman, but I know I can jump onto monthly Captain America the month the second trade comes out and still be in good shape.

On the topic I'm KINDA pro-issue right now, primarily because I hate the designs of the newest trades. Kinda felt rushed out, especially "I am Gotham" just being some cropped out pannels and a bunch of blank space.

TIL-the decision to make Steve Harmon's Slapstick mode not have a dick goes AAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way back to the limited series...and holy shit, did it REEK of the 1990s! Kinda felt the ending was a little weird though, Slapstick saves the day knocking out the Neutron Bum and the Thing just throws him across town? Who cares if he's annoying, he saved the damn day! Almost as bad as how the Justice League could treat G'nort.

Last edited:

BananaHands

Staff member
Okay, okay.

Who's hungry?
[DOUBLEPOST=1485993600,1485993220][/DOUBLEPOST]Because these sidekicks are (from Batman #16).

fade

Staff member
Caught up on the new Old Man Logan series. Interesting. I've been out of the comic game too long. Jubilee is a vampire now? I knew she lost her powers on M-Day, but I didn't know she was a vampire.

BananaHands

Staff member
Caught up on the new Old Man Logan series. Interesting. I've been out of the comic game too long. Jubilee is a vampire now? I knew she lost her powers on M-Day, but I didn't know she was a vampire.
OML is definitely the best X-Book out right now. Not sure when Jubes turned vampire, but she's been riding that train for a bit. Wish she could get off.

NOVA #3 -
God. Damn.
So, Richard is the cancerverse? Not sure what's going on with him, but it's unsettling.
Also, bummed that he hinted at wanting to see Gamora at the end of the issue. Being Namorita is suffering.

I'm setting up a link list so my wife can move from the end of Annihilation and into Annihilation Conquest.

And on that note, I've neglected my reading list and she's gonna catch up with me before I know it. I'd better get a move on.

fade

Staff member
Death of Wolverine

It was okay. Sure seems like a surefire setup for a return from the grave to me.

TIL-the decision to make Steve Harmon's Slapstick mode not have a dick goes AAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way back to the limited series...and holy shit, did it REEK of the 1990s! Kinda felt the ending was a little weird though, Slapstick saves the day knocking out the Neutron Bum and the Thing just throws him across town? Who cares if he's annoying, he saved the damn day! Almost as bad as how the Justice League could treat G'nort.
Hey now, that limited series ("Write your congressman!") is the best part of Slapstick.

--Patrick

Death of Wolverine

It was okay. Sure seems like a surefire setup for a return from the grave to me.
I'm honestly surprised he's had the tenacity to stay dead for this long. Guess he learned well from Jean Grey, who's managed to stay dead for 15 years.

I'm honestly surprised he's had the tenacity to stay dead for this long. Guess he learned well from Jean Grey, who's managed to stay dead for 15 years.
That's because they have Laura and old parallel universe Logan running around. Same with time-displaced young Jean Grey. I guess Marvel's okay with killing a character and leaving them that way if they can find alternatives.

I finished 52 this morning. That whole series was a treat.

Hey now, that limited series ("Write your congressman!") is the best part of Slapstick.

--Patrick
Heh, yeah that was funny. May he hopefully fix his transformation glove, so he doesn't have to hire prostitutes for comfort despite not having genitals...that's some DC grimdark stupidity right there.

BananaHands

Staff member
RHatO #7 - Damn good. Great moment with Jason and Alfred, even more emotional moment with Bizzaro and Jason. This book has no right being this good, but I'm loving how they're able to parallel Batman's issues with mentoring a young Jason to Red Hood's issues with mentoring Bizzaro.

Catching up on comics I couldn't pick up last week due to hurting my back. I love the first two issues of Champions. Champions #3 was sloppy, but had it's heart in the right place. Champions #4 was bad. Champions #5 was sloppy and bad, with a scoop of "why does this exist?" It's essentially a Trump microcosm situation, but the characters could be anyone for how zero-personality they act ... except Gwenpool, who acts like a cartoon. Champions are trying not to do what they said they wouldn't do from the start, and by the end of the issue I just felt aggravated. It's possible I'm not the audience Mark Waid is going for with this comic. I'm going to give it another couple issues, and if it doesn't pick up, there are DC comics I should really be putting my money toward instead.

BananaHands

Staff member
Catching up on comics I couldn't pick up last week due to hurting my back. I love the first two issues of Champions. Champions #3 was sloppy, but had it's heart in the right place. Champions #4 was bad. Champions #5 was sloppy and bad, with a scoop of "why does this exist?" It's essentially a Trump microcosm situation, but the characters could be anyone for how zero-personality they act ... except Gwenpool, who acts like a cartoon. Champions are trying not to do what they said they wouldn't do from the start, and by the end of the issue I just felt aggravated. It's possible I'm not the audience Mark Waid is going for with this comic. I'm going to give it another couple issues, and if it doesn't pick up, there are DC comics I should really be putting my money toward instead.
My issue with Champions is that none of the characters have an individual voice and there are several moments where they're this weird hive-mind that speak individual words to complete a sentence.

My issue with Champions is that none of the characters have an individual voice and there are several moments where they're this weird hive-mind that speak individual words to complete a sentence.
The brief moments of homogeny I can tolerate; the weird "We" "Speak" "As" "One" bits are too much. But it's just an overall sloppiness to the writing that's really killing it for me. Shame since I felt the first couple issues showed a lot of promise.

Also read Batman #16 now and goddamn, it is some act of weird cruelty that the boys dragged Bruce Wayne to Batburger. That entire scene was wonderful from start to end, with Bruce at the counter, the boys giving each other shit, Bruce and the burger, mention of why he's so sensitive about this right now. Can't wait to see next week's issue.

Ms. Marvel #15, reminding me why I wish G Willow Wilson was writing more books.

Titans #8, reminding me how badly I need to get to reading Aquaman. Looks like if I pick up Wonder Woman #13, #15, and #16, I can probably follow along no problem and then read each of the backstory plots when they each come out in trade. Aquaman, I don't know what to do.

BananaHands

Staff member
Also read Batman #16 now and goddamn, it is some act of weird cruelty that the boys dragged Bruce Wayne to Batburger. That entire scene was wonderful from start to end, with Bruce at the counter, the boys giving each other shit, Bruce and the burger, mention of why he's so sensitive about this right now. Can't wait to see next week's issue.
That entire scene was great in Batburger. I feel like King struggles with writing Batman and Bruce at times, but he is incredibly good at writing every other character. The Dick, Damien and Jason dialogue was amazing. Also, that bit with the burger was great.

Interesting enough, in RHatO, Bats eats a burger normally. I'm sure it's just different writers, but I also like the idea that Bruce makes a point to eat the burger with a fork and knife for his persona.

PS - why can't batman be written this good everywhere?

Last edited:
Wonder Woman's finally done with the parallel stories of her origin and Year One, so now we can get on with a single plot--no, wait, they're doing a different parallel story to show what happened earlier with the group she's now dealing with. I guess that's just how this title will be? Okayyyy. I mean, it's a good comic, but that just seems like a strange choice to me.

Wonder Woman's finally done with the parallel stories of her origin and Year One, so now we can get on with a single plot--no, wait, they're doing a different parallel story to show what happened earlier with the group she's now dealing with. I guess that's just how this title will be? Okayyyy. I mean, it's a good comic, but that just seems like a strange choice to me.
I kind of get what they're going for. Rather than have a separate mini-series that's related to the main title, they just tell it IN the main title. Which makes the numbering a little confusing, but from what I've seen, they're releasing each arc in separate trades.

I kind of get what they're going for. Rather than have a separate mini-series that's related to the main title, they just tell it IN the main title. Which makes the numbering a little confusing, but from what I've seen, they're releasing each arc in separate trades.
Right, one trade will have even numbers, the other odd numbers (for the most part). This also makes it easier to catch up on, so I might pick up the first trade next time I go to the comic book store. It's weird, to me, but it avoids having a main title and a risky title. Though if they keep it this way, I feel like Wonder Woman will always have to ship twice a month.

Jagaaaaaan

Its basically Parasyte if the main character was a sociopath who hates his life despite having six-pack abs, a hot girlfriend, and a well paying job...I didn't think it was possible, but this guy makes Saiki Kusuo seem less bitchy.

U19

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin the future, children are ruled by...evil...adults...hoo boy. This is one of those classic dystopian near distant future stories, that gets up its own ass with satire, and is utterly unbelievable and unrealistic. Basically imagine "Codename Kids Next Door" but less grounded in reality. That's right, I said LESS!

Also, its shown in this universe that your actual lot in life will be based on how well you do and behave in school, kinda like a mix of communism and a caste system...GEE-what does THAT remind us of? CERTAINLY not a popular mini-series about a bad-ass high school girl looking for her father's killer with the use of a sentient uniform and a scissor half! Also the "Adults Party" logo isn't even TRYING not to look like a swastika-WE GET IT-its a metaphor! Final note the super-power source in this manga is-(and I'm not kidding here)-repressed libido...that's just too on the damn nose.

So I am really not expecting this manga to wow me judging by the...54 page first chapter, Satan damn why so long to set up a basic premise?! Its a pile of shonen cliches masked in bad political satire, as well as some generic "red string of fate" bull-shit between the male and female leads. Sick of the red string, its in practically everything!

Last edited:
Finished Paper Girls vol 2. I wasn't crazy about volume 1, but volume 2 is where things really get going.

I thought Wonder Woman vol 1 was already out, but apparently I don't know anything, so I could not pick it up today.

BananaHands

Staff member
ULTIMATES 2 #4

Galactus continues his fight against the status quo, Order and Chaos have murdered the In-Betweener and combined into the Final Fantasy-esque Logos - his new heralds the Ultimates are distracted by a team assembled by bureaucrats to keep them in check. This book is absolute gold and I don't enjoy any of the characters on the Ultimate's roster aside from Galactus.

The final pages were absolute metal.

Honestly, all signs point to Oblivion pulling the strings.

Superman: American Alien

Borrowed this out from the library. A few people recommended it to me and...I didn't like it.

To be fair, there are some good moments. Great moments, even. The entire first issue is incredibly tender and heart-warming. Some of the character work is good, too. But as a whole, the thing is a mess. I get that it's supposed to be snapshots throughout Clark's life, but some of it doesn't go anywhere. There's little flow from issue to issue, like one would expect from a mini-series.

But the one thing that bothers me is the same thing that bothered me ever since I saw scans of it: a teenage Clark burning off a criminal's arms. Uncontrollably, mind you, but that kind of crap doesn't belong in a Superman comic. Plus, there's absolutely no follow-up to it. The comic's extras include Landis talking about how this changes how Clark feels about his powers and their effect on other people. But the way it's told in the comic doesn't feel like that. Right after he does it, he says "You made me do it!" No. That's not Clark. Clark wouldn't blame the other guy for something he did. He'd say he's sorry or he didn't mean to do that or something.

And like I thought, that scene soured the rest of the comic for me. It also didn't help that the costume design is TERRIBLE. Both the costume he wears before officially becoming Superman and then the Superman costume itself. Why the hell does it have shoulder and elbow pads? Christ.

And then there are the endless, needless cameos. The third issue where he's confused to be Bruce Wayne is the worst. It's like a cavalcade of references. Then another issue, a Green Lantern shows out of the blue so he can learn about Krypton.

I'm really sad because that first issue is SO GOOD. But the rest of the series is overall terrible. Ugh.

GasBandit

Staff member
The third issue where he's confused to be Bruce Wayne is the worst. It's like a cavalcade of references.
That was my favorite part of the series! YOO RUIN BROOSH WANE SHIRT was hilarious. It was the first time in a long time that I can remember where a DC comic didn't take itself too seriously.

That was my favorite part of the series! YOO RUIN BROOSH WANE SHIRT was hilarious. It was the first time in a long time that I can remember where a DC comic didn't take itself too seriously.
That part was okay. It was just all these characters who are on the boat. Zsasz, Oliver Queen, Cheetah. It was a cute issue and I didn't have a problem with Clark having some fun. The bit at the end with Bruce was funny, too.

Actually, that's another thing. They had Batman break into his apartment, Clark finds out who he is and then...nothing. Zero follow-up after that. It was just sort of left dangling after making a big deal out of it.