[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Yeah, still dead, and yet we still have two Wolverines running around.

Also, it's Marvel Prime now instead of 616. The writers finally won that argument post-Secret Wars 2015.
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH-that is so on the damn nose like Prime Earth. STOP COPYING EACH OTHER COMIC COMPANIES!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH-that is so on the damn nose like Prime Earth. STOP COPYING EACH OTHER COMIC COMPANIES!
That's probably why the editorial was so against it for years, but the writers apparently didn't want it to be 616.

The differences in the two companies make sense for it though. Prime Earth makes sense because in DC, each parallel is a reflection off the main one. Marvel's parallels are more like traditional parallel universes, in that they're infinitely caused by choices within them, so 616 is just one of those Earths. Having Marvel Prime makes less sense because it implies it's the Important One even in-universe, when stuff like Hickman's Fantastic Four and several situations with America Chavez show how much that clearly isn't the case.

Yeah, I've read a couple issues of 23verine and it was okay, I guess, but nothing that grabbed me.

I hear good things about OML and should really try to catch a couple issues.

Since it's Marvel, I always thought it would be funnier if it was Earth 212, or 646. (Both of those are the area codes for Manhattan.)

You realize 616 came out of Marvel poking fun at DC right? It's a play on the fact that DC books take place on the "clearly important" Earth 1, while "little old" Marvel is just some random earth in the high triple digits.

You realize 616 came out of Marvel poking fun at DC right? It's a play on the fact that DC books take place on the "clearly important" Earth 1, while "little old" Marvel is just some random earth in the high triple digits.
Yes, and that was hilarious, its the name Marvel Prime I'm chastising.

That's probably why the editorial was so against it for years, but the writers apparently didn't want it to be 616.

The differences in the two companies make sense for it though. Prime Earth makes sense because in DC, each parallel is a reflection off the main one. Marvel's parallels are more like traditional parallel universes, in that they're infinitely caused by choices within them, so 616 is just one of those Earths. Having Marvel Prime makes less sense because it implies it's the Important One even in-universe, when stuff like Hickman's Fantastic Four and several situations with America Chavez show how much that clearly isn't the case.
*slides up nerd glasses*

The multiverse operated on the idea of infinite earths based on the choices taken and not taken. Earth Prime is just a fun nod to the "real world" where it all stems from.

BananaHands

Staff member
Captain Marvel #0 was okay. Art's pretty decent, but without having the end of CW2 it's hard to judge her as a character.

According to the preview, Cap does a lil dance.[DOUBLEPOST=1482451584,1482451500][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh - also, the artist of the flashback scenes is the actual artist for the Captain Marvel book.

Yeah, I saw that this was a one-time deal for that artist, but the flashback stuff isn't bad either.

It just feels like Captain Marvel's getting pushed to be a flagship character really hard, but she's just not that interesting as it stands right now.

BananaHands

Staff member
Yeah, I saw that this was a one-time deal for that artist, but the flashback stuff isn't bad either.

It just feels like Captain Marvel's getting pushed to be a flagship character really hard, but she's just not that interesting as it stands right now.
Yeah. They need to bring back the alcoholic, bloodlusting Carol we all came to love.

Yeah. They need to bring back the alcoholic, bloodlusting Carol we all came to love.
I read they retconned her origin story to remove Mar-Vell, suggesting this new series is really going to be for movie hype-building and they don't want to confuse MCU fans. But Disney isn't interfering in anything hahaha--yeah, like EA never interfered with Bioware, but the desires of the overlord company are still going to trickle down.

I never read anything where Mar-Vell was alive, but the impact of his death continued to resonate for years. Rick Jones counting him as a mentor, various Captain Marvels over time who want to honor his title, his daighter struggling to live up to his legacy. Even Carol, at the start of the 2012 series, wonders if taking the title Captain Marvel is the right thing, so long after Mar-Vell's death.

It's going to reach a point where there's little reason to read the comics; they'll just be commercials for the movies.

BananaHands

Staff member
I never read anything where Mar-Vell was alive, but the impact of his death continued to resonate for years. Rick Jones counting him as a mentor, various Captain Marvels over time who want to honor his title, his daighter struggling to live up to his legacy. Even Carol, at the start of the 2012 series, wonders if taking the title Captain Marvel is the right thing, so long after Mar-Vell's death.

Hey, he made an appearance recently.

What the hell was that from??
I would guess Ms. Marvel, which is a wonderful comic.
Avengers Annual from August. Kamala finds a bunch of fanfic and this is one of the ones she reads. Overall it was a disappointing comic, though the twist ending was pretty funny. Outside of the fanfic, Kamala has been arguing about how heroes are presented with another fic writer about that writer's story. A third writer plays mediator and helps make peace between Kamala and the other.

Kamala's fic nemesis?
Miles Morales

The mediator fic-writer?
Phil Coulson

None of them find out who the others are. There, now you know the best part of that comic.

Hey @Zero Esc, where are you in your Annihilation read? Or are you taking a break from it?
Finished Annihilation: Conquest, read the first issue of Guardians of the Galaxy. I kinda binged through Conquest because I was sick, so yeah, taking a little break before I dive into Guardians, more Nova, and War of Kings.

Thanks! I follow Ms. Marvel (though i am a few issues behind), and I knew that had to be a parody/nightmare, but I had no idea what the source was.

Thanks! I follow Ms. Marvel (though i am a few issues behind), and I knew that had to be a parody/nightmare, but I had no idea what the source was.
It wasn't worth the $5 :p. I'm also behind in Ms. Marvel, probably for the same reason (Civil War II). I think the sixth trade comes out next week ... might wait for it to get cheap. Which sucks, because other than this stupid arc it's been a wonderful comic.

Since my two nearest comic shops are terrible at keeping a good selection, I got the hardcover collected The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol 1 for Christmas (to make up for the gaps in my monthlies.)

...I am once again super p.o.'d DC isn't continuing this series. The art was great, the writing was strong... it was a great way to streamline so much of Wonder Woman's origins and bring back some of her early adventures/cast. I really wanted to see where they were going to go next. And I love the little "guest appearances" of other DC characters you wouldn't expect
like Perry White, Jonathan Kent, and Alfred Pennyworth
which added to the humor and story without being distracting. But this is some of my favorite Wondy art in recent years. It's nice to see her in the hands of someone that doesn't try to turn her into bland, vapid cheesecake.

So, thanks for a lousy decision to cancel this, DC. Sometimes I think Wonder Woman is too good for you guys.

So to put things in some perspective, in July issue #8 was number 145 on the sales charts with ~15,945 units sold. Wonder Woman #2 released that month was at number 12 with 103,759. I like the story and art, but it's hard to blame DC when they have second printings of old issues outselling it. Marvel and DC books don't last long when they're below 20k.

I don't know about a national scale, but I had a hard time finding any of the issues in my local shops. They ordered so few they were usually sold out when I asked. It's hard to buy a book you can't get a hold of.

Superman: Super Monsters

...huh...did not expect Superman meets Frankenstein-
to go so...somber for an ending....neat! ALSO-my life long dream of Lois Lane freaking arming herself has finally happened-WITH A BAD ASS HELLBAT GLOVE! Seriously, why did it take until NOW for her to arm herself, chaos falls at her heels!She was at a damn JOB interview and everything, and then BAM-Frankenstein! ALSO-what the fuck is up with Mr.Cobb? That dude is hiding something.

Picked up Hulk #1 aka don't call her She.

Eh. On the one hand this is a good presentation of PTSD, especially the subway page where the color sleeps away from the edges of panels until it's just Jen in the gray. On the other, if you read the summary, you've read the issue. Nothing happens and it's unclear really when this takes place. I don't think I'll be picking up #2.

Marvel has been unintentionally sabotaging She-Hulk books, and it's frustrating.

Ironically Totally Awesome Hulk is basically what I want out of Jennifer Walters book, and the new Hulk sounds like a great take on Bruce.

BananaHands

Staff member
Picked up Hulk #1 aka don't call her She.

Eh. On the one hand this is a good presentation of PTSD, especially the subway page where the color sleeps away from the edges of panels until it's just Jen in the gray. On the other, if you read the summary, you've read the issue. Nothing happens and it's unclear really when this takes place. I don't think I'll be picking up #2.
I didn't mind it. I'm intrigued to read issue 2 illegally - I'll pick up the trade if it's actually good.

CWII ended with 8 pages of advertisements for future events before Ulysses was Poochie'd away.

Sorry for not spoiling - I just really don't want you to waste money on this garbage event.

I'm still not a huge fan of killing most of the big things that made Jennifer different than Bruce as a Hulk (personality and being totally comfortable/proud of herself as She Hulk), but I am curious to see where this PTSD-induced rage-Shulk goes, so I'll give it another issue or two.

Also read the last issue of CW2.

So fucking dumb. I'll take another decade of Slott's Spider-Man if it could get Bendis the fuck out of the writer's chair.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of PTSD She-Hulk, but I do like how she's used over in Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat! .
Every time I here Hellcat's real name, I am continually dumbfounded by how off the rails that series got. Went from a teen-girl slice of life deal, to a straight up super hero comic.

Every time I here Hellcat's real name, I am continually dumbfounded by how off the rails that series got. Went from a teen-girl slice of life deal, to a straight up super hero comic.
Wasn't her comic long canceled by the time she showed up in Avengers as supporting cast?

About 9 years. The character was created in 1944, as a Timely Comics character. Her last humor/romance title was canceled in 1967 and the she becomes Hellcat in 1976. She's one of the oldest surviving Marvel characters up there with Namor and Captain America.