What are you playing?

Ditto for the racing games for me, I need a wacky hook to be interested at all.

Additionally I'll say I have about less than 0 interest in a vanilla sports games but you throw flying cars into soccer and for whatever reason that clicked hard for me.

The final title update for Monster Hunter rise was just released. I beat the new dragon in a super fun fight and am working on the last Risen dragon.

An excellent MH game!

GasBandit

Staff member
I've fallen back into Subnautica. And now I'm modding it! Curiously enough, modding subnautica is like modding valheim - it uses bepinex. But the Vortex (formerly Nexus Mod Manager) integration is pretty good. There's not a lot of mods out there, but they're really good ones - so far I've gotten a map for the PDA that fills in as you explore, the ability to craft from nearby storage and automatically craft intermediate components, and a new buildable readout that shows you what resources you have in storage on an in-game screen.

Curiously for a game so centered around aquatic activities, no CBBE/Bikini mods to be found yet...

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, I gave in and got Darkest Dungeon 2. I can see why people are calling it "Slay the Darkest Spire." But I haven't gotten far enough to figure out if the "ha ha you never had a chance to win this run" thing is there or not.

Meantime, I created a party that was all women and they formed a love triangle. Well ok then. This is going to be ultra tragic when they all die to the crawling horrors from below that undo the mind and soul.

1684371175629.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, perhaps it is for the best that the romance died before the party did.

1684462137138.png

Seriously, the run was going so well... but I just couldn't keep up with the stress-dealers, and two meltdowns later the Hellion hates everybody and the Graverobber and the Vestal are at loggerheads.

GasBandit

Staff member
They managed to get the run's boss down to under 50% before the TPK, which is better than I thought they'd do.

That said, the run boss is pretty BS. I only have "won" a run 1 time, on the lowest difficulty, and I think I got extremely lucky.

Star Trek Resurgence is great if you like Telltale style games or Star Trek from when Star Trek was good.

I'm really enjoying it so far.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some neat things I saw in Stranded Deep:

20230601202946_1.jpg
Goblin Shark (very bitey)

20230601203151_1.jpg
Hammerhead Shark (also very bitey)

(not pictured: Tiger Shark - EXTREMELY bitey)

20230601205257_1.jpg
Humpback Whale

20230602153404_1.jpg
Whale Shark (not bitey, but a bit too playful, tried to knock my raft over)

I didn't think to take screenshots of some of the more pretty and dangerous things because I was too busy trying not to die. Particularly the three boss monsters - a megalodon, a giant squid, and a 50 foot moray.

But over the last week or so, I finally managed to beat the game and escape.

The ending made me guffaw out loud

The game begins with your private jet suddenly crashing due to unknown reasons.

Escaping the game involves repairing an abandoned seaplane in the wreck of an aircraft carrier and flying away - but 3 hours after you take off, you have a mid-air collision with a suspiciously familiar private jet. This is some LOST level BS here, people...

Dave

Staff member
Since Thursday night I've been playing Diablo IV. I don't know whether or not I like it.

Reviews coming in are all positive but I'm just underwhelmed and I don't really know why. Maybe it's the performance issues I've had. Maybe it's because of the always online MMO aspect. Maybe it's the fact that the dungeons are plentiful...and all the same. I've put in a few hours already, but I'm just bored. I'm going to keep playing but I need to either break through the ennui or the game needs to get better.

Dave

Staff member
To give you some idea of where I stand on it...I haven't even bought it (yet?).

--Patrick
Oh and the always online? Today was: LOL! Sucks to be you. Queue up. It'll take less than a minute. (10 minutes later) Nope. Still less than 1 minute. But you'll sit & wait, right? WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A QUEUE ON MY SOLO FUCKING GAME?!?

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh and the always online? Today was: LOL! Sucks to be you. Queue up. It'll take less than a minute. (10 minutes later) Nope. Still less than 1 minute. But you'll sit & wait, right? WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A QUEUE ON MY SOLO FUCKING GAME?!?
It's activision-blizzard. You knew what you were getting into.

Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart

I meant to post this a few weeks ago, since I already beat it. Just never got around to posting about it.

I didn't grow up on the Ratchet & Clank games. I didn't play any of the games in the series until the PS3's Tools of Destruction. But I became a fan of the series since then. I'd been hemming and hawing about buying this, but couldn't rationalize dropping $50+ on a game I'd probably only play through once, maybe twice (in New Game +). So I was fortunate it finally dropped on PS Plus Extra.

It's a lot of fun. Not particularly challenging, but still fun nonetheless. I love the wide assortment of weapons you get to play with and I love seeing them evolve as you level them up.

The story is fun enough with the multidimensional stuff. It doesn't really dive particularly deep into it though. You get some fun alternate versions of other characters, but as a whole, it doesn't really show why the other universe is too different.

I probably wouldn't rank any of the Ratchet & Clank games particularly high on my all-time favourite games list, but they're very much a comfort game for me. They're not particularly challenging, but they're always a joy to play.

It's activision-blizzard. You knew what you were getting into.
That's why I'm not bothering with it, I've given up on all activision-blizzard games and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I do still sometimes play WoW classic, but that's only in between FFXIV patches, and only for nostalgia. With the changes coming to the classic servers those are about to die too

GasBandit

Staff member
That's why I'm not bothering with it, I've given up on all activision-blizzard games and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I do still sometimes play WoW classic, but that's only in between FFXIV patches, and only for nostalgia. With the changes coming to the classic servers those are about to die too
I miss classic WoW blizzard. The jam-everything-full-of-fluff-content blizzard. The "we spent more time on mocapping dance emotes than we did on naming NPCs" blizzard. The "I have to click on everybody 17 times because I might get a secret voice line to play" blizzard. The incredibly PUNishing pop culture reference dropping blizzard. The "let's record an entire disco track in secret and stick it at the end of the CD" blizzard. The pre-lootbox blizzard. The pre-"real world auction house" blizzard.

But that blizzard died years and years ago.

I miss classic WoW blizzard. The jam-everything-full-of-fluff-content blizzard. The "we spent more time on mocapping dance emotes than we did on naming NPCs" blizzard. The "I have to click on everybody 17 times because I might get a secret voice line to play" blizzard. The incredibly PUNishing pop culture reference dropping blizzard. The "let's record an entire disco track in secret and stick it at the end of the CD" blizzard. The pre-lootbox blizzard. The pre-"real world auction house" blizzard.

But that blizzard died years and years ago.
The pre-"let's dedicate a room to raping women and call it the Cosby Suite" Blizzard?

This is half of why I'm not playing it
The pre-"let's dedicate a room to raping women and call it the Cosby Suite" Blizzard?
And this is the other.

I was a huge Blizzard fanboy. I've played through Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 more times than I care to admit. (well, 1 not so much). I've sink countless hours into Diablo 1, 2 and 3. Starcraft and Brood Wars, fuck yeah.
But, like Gas said, that company is long gone. Just like Westwood, Maxis, and so many other greats from our past.

The always online part is going to be an issue when I travel for work. That’s my biggest complaint. If I want to play solo, that should be an option.

I have finished the campaign and am about to try some of the end game stuff. I am very interested to see how hard the capstone dungeons are.

Just found a feature that I really like. If you miss picking up a cosmetic drop, it will be available at your stash the next time you go to it.

I missed some horse armour somewhere and I was happy to get the chance to claim it.

That feature also gave me a legendary I missed somewhere. I guess my ice shards killed something long distance?

I did the first capstone dungeon last night and got a staff that should make my build a lot more fun and hopefully more deadly.

I just need to figure out how to reorganize stuff.