What are you playing?

I sympathize, because I also like hot followers, but... it's pretty obvious that first pic has an ENB installed, wouldn't you say?

GasBandit

Staff member
I sympathize, because I also like hot followers, but... it's pretty obvious that first pic has an ENB installed, wouldn't you say?
That's one of the things. The body model is also way different, the skin texture is different (the author admits manually replacing the skin texture to get one that looked better in screenshots), the hair has different physics (it is a lot more "floaty..." all in all it is a downright fraudulent representation of what you get.

Finally started the Trespasser DLC for Inquisition. The great thing about being like 10 years late to so many games is that they will be fresh in my mind when their sequels come out. On the other hand, I probably won't make time for the sequels for 10 years.

So I see some of you have purchased Everspace 2. IS IT ANY GOOD?
I haven't, but I note Steam has a free demo version of it.
I played the demo through to the end which was about 6 hours and I feel like probably does a good job of showing off the full game loop so if your interested I'd give it a shot.

Not at all an indictment of the game itself since I did really enjoy it but while I do want to pick it up after the demo I'll wait for a better sale.

I haven't, but I note Steam has a free demo version of it.
I played the demo through to the end which was about 6 hours and I feel like probably does a good job of showing off the full game loop so if your interested I'd give it a shot.

Not at all an indictment of the game itself since I did really enjoy it but while I do want to pick it up after the demo I'll wait for a better sale.
I'd have to dedicate a couple of days to downloading it. My internet up here is so dogshit.

Main reason I asked here.

I'll start up the download tonight.

I've pretty much made it through the Mass Effect 2 portion of ME: Legendary Edition, and it's only right before heading through the Omega 4 Relay that I realized no achievements had popped for ME2. I looked it up online, and apparently the Legendary Edition is bugged on Steam, and only the ME1 achievements will be given, ME2 and 3 have achievements but they'll never pop unless you uninstall the EA app and install Origin.

Yeah no, I'll just live without the achievements, thanks.

I've fallen back into playing FFXIV hard, and lately my friends and I have been doing themed deep dungeon runs. We have yet to clear palace of the dead (we died this run on floor 190 out of 200) but our King of the Hill theme worked out well.

GasBandit

Staff member
POV: I explain to the Windhelm guards that no, I do NOT have too many mods, and CERTAINLY no illicit, salacious mods.

1681440425275.png

Also I'd invite you to come live with me in my gigantic spa resort bathhouse but all 30 beds are full. Also both the beds in the house I own next door.

Last edited:
POV: I explain to the Winhelm guards that no, I do NOT have too many mods, and CERTAINLY no illicit, salacious mods.

View attachment 44438

Also I'd invite you to come live with me in my gigantic spa resort bathhouse but all 30 beds are full. Also both the beds in the house I own next door.
The guard is clearly giving you a "my eyes are up here" expression. I should know, I get it a lot.

figmentPez

Staff member
Desta: The Memories Between

This is a rogue-lite, turn based tactics, dodgeball game. It's also one of the mobile games that comes with a Netflix subscription. The graphics are pleasant, the voice acting is great, and the gameplay seems solid enough, but I'm not in the mood for it. I either want something completely chill, where I'm not worried about losing, or I want something more high energy. I don't have the patience for strategy right now.

Tchia

Got this for free through Playstation Plus Extra.

It's kind of a Breath of the Wild "explore however you want" kind of thing, thought the combat, what little there is of it, is more limited. The main draw is that you can possess just about any item and animal. Best way to get around the islands is possessing a bird or dolphin. You have a raft to sail around, but I honestly barely used it except for convenient fast traveling.

Tonally, the game it all over the place. At times, it's a relaxing open world where you can explore however you want. Other times, the story itself is dark as hell, including dismemberments and eating children.

Still, for a relatively short, but charming open world, I enjoyed it for a what it was.

So I've started the Mass Effect 3 portion of Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

So far I've made it past talking to the Council on the Citadel, and it seems interesting thus far. The comments people make about how the war seems so far away on the Citadel made me think of the situation in Ukraine, and how life just... goes on elsewhere in the world.

Also I met Samantha Traynor, and her voice sounded maddeningly familiar, so I looked it up and it turns out she's voiced by Alix Wilton Regan, who I know best as the voice of Sebille in Divinity Original Sin 2. She's also voiced Aya in Assassin's Creed and a bunch of characters in the Dragon Age games. She has a lovely voice.

Dave

Staff member
I'm trying to play a game called "Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon". Some of you might recognize the name from a board game, but of course I'd never heard of it. Oh, and the reason I say I'm trying to play it is because it's a janky mess that crashes. A lot. If they get that fixed I think I'd really dig it but holy cow does it need work. I reviewed it on Steam with a thumbs down, then redid it with a thumbs up. Now I think I have to change it back.

The Good:
  • Looks and feels like mid-Elder Scrolls.
  • Game is pretty and the soundtrack is amazing. In fact, the title page music I believe is "The Wu".
The Bad:
  • Not one but TWO cliche beginnings! You start in prison and when you get out you get on a boat. A boat in an RPG does what again? Oh yeah, it sinks with you as the sole survivor.
  • Combat is hilariously bad. To win ANY fight, back up while the AI swings at you all confused. Step forward & hit. Repeat until dead. And if you retreat too far they go back to starting position and even have the same conversations they were having before.
  • Your character has the stamina of an asthmatic sloth with COPD and a chain smoking habit. One - or two, if you have some levels - swings of your weapon and you can no longer block or swing or much of anything, really. Good thing your stamina refills in like 1 second once you back up a little. And running? Take no stamina at all. So....bwah?
  • (more humorous than bad) At one point I had a skill check in a conversation. I succeeded and the voice acting disappeared and a computerized voice took over for the NPC for the rest of the conversation.
The Ugly:
  • This game crashes like it was made by early access Bethesda. It's a demo derby in game form. I know it's a joke to say literally unplayable....but LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!

All of this means I don't recommend it, but god DAMN I want to play this game. I have 7 hours into it and I'm crashed dozens of times. And I'm not one to keep going back to a buggy game. Normally I just walk away, but this one is very Morrowind-like and I want to play it. But the game won't get out of its own damned way.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to play a game called "Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon". Some of you might recognize the name from a board game, but of course I'd never heard of it. Oh, and the reason I say I'm trying to play it is because it's a janky mess that crashes. A lot. If they get that fixed I think I'd really dig it but holy cow does it need work. I reviewed it on Steam with a thumbs down, then redid it with a thumbs up. Now I think I have to change it back.

The Good:
  • Looks and feels like mid-Elder Scrolls.
  • Game is pretty and the soundtrack is amazing. In fact, the title page music I believe is "The Wu".
The Bad:
  • Not one but TWO cliche beginnings! You start in prison and when you get out you get on a boat. A boat in an RPG does what again? Oh yeah, it sinks with you as the sole survivor.
  • Combat is hilariously bad. To win ANY fight, back up while the AI swings at you all confused. Step forward & hit. Repeat until dead. And if you retreat too far they go back to starting position and even have the same conversations they were having before.
  • Your character has the stamina of an asthmatic sloth with COPD and a chain smoking habit. One - or two, if you have some levels - swings of your weapon and you can no longer block or swing or much of anything, really. Good thing your stamina refills in like 1 second once you back up a little. And running? Take no stamina at all. So....bwah?
  • (more humorous than bad) At one point I had a skill check in a conversation. I succeeded and the voice acting disappeared and a computerized voice took over for the NPC for the rest of the conversation.
The Ugly:
  • This game crashes like it was made by early access Bethesda. It's a demo derby in game form. I know it's a joke to say literally unplayable....but LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!

All of this means I don't recommend it, but god DAMN I want to play this game. I have 7 hours into it and I'm crashed dozens of times. And I'm not one to keep going back to a buggy game. Normally I just walk away, but this one is very Morrowind-like and I want to play it. But the game won't get out of its own damned way.
... are we SURE this isn't an ACTUAL Bethesda TES game?

Because every TES game basically:
*Looks and feels like Elder Scrolls
*Is pretty and has a good soundtrack
*Starts with a cliche "you are imprisoned/on a boat" beginning
*Has incredibly stupid NPC combat AI
*Has starting stats that make you fight like a fat man running uphill to catch a trolley
*Has hilarious bugs
*Crashes a ridiculous amount

Dave

Staff member
Oh, and you can steal EVERYTHING! Like, walk into a shop, steal anything not nailed down, then turn around & sell it back to the vendor.

Hot Wheels Unleashed

Like any sports game, racing games don't appeal to me. It just gets kinda dull to me, doing laps around realistic tracks.

And yet, I've been mildly interested in Hot Wheels Unleashed. I got it for free through PS Plus and decided to give it a whirl.

Surprisingly, I really dig it. I love the aesthetics of driving dinky cars on bright tracks. I love doing loops and jumps and dealing with crazy obstacles. I love the variety of vehicles. Heck, I unlocked the freaking DeLorean.

I don’t think it's the kind of game that will hold my attention long enough to finish it, but I'm enjoying it well enough for now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hot Wheels Unleashed

Like any sports game, racing games don't appeal to me. It just gets kinda dull to me, doing laps around realistic tracks.

And yet, I've been mildly interested in Hot Wheels Unleashed. I got it for free through PS Plus and decided to give it a whirl.

Surprisingly, I really dig it. I love the aesthetics of driving dinky cars on bright tracks. I love doing loops and jumps and dealing with crazy obstacles. I love the variety of vehicles. Heck, I unlocked the freaking DeLorean.

I don’t think it's the kind of game that will hold my attention long enough to finish it, but I'm enjoying it well enough for now.
I feel you, any racing game that stuck with me had to have a gimmick. Normal racing games? Bored within 3 laps.

RC Pro am? HOURS of fun because it's RC! Same with Micro Machines games, and even Re-Volt for the dreamcast.
Burnout! It's racing... but through TOWN and you are rewarded for making your opponents crash in horrifying ways!
Split/Second! It's racing but you have a button you can push to make explosive changes to the track (which usually, hopefully, ALSO make your opponents crash in horrifying ways)!

But yeah, NFS? Yawn. DiRT/Rally? Booooring. Gimme gimmicks.

figmentPez

Staff member
I feel you, any racing game that stuck with me had to have a gimmick. Normal racing games? Bored within 3 laps.

RC Pro am? HOURS of fun because it's RC! Same with Micro Machines games, and even Re-Volt for the dreamcast.
Burnout! It's racing... but through TOWN and you are rewarded for making your opponents crash in horrifying ways!
Split/Second! It's racing but you have a button you can push to make explosive changes to the track (which usually, hopefully, ALSO make your opponents crash in horrifying ways)!

But yeah, NFS? Yawn. DiRT/Rally? Booooring. Gimme gimmicks.
That reminds me, I need to get Re-Volt working through RVGL. I played the Re-Volt demo so much back in the day, but the full game never fit into my budget. By the time I bought it on GOG, getting the PC version to work with a controller was a pain in the ass. (Still had some fun playing with keyboard, though.) Hopefully the fan made rewrite of the engine is easy to get running.

Make a racing game that's just the Wachowski's Speed Racer movie or Redline.

Nintendo, make a new F-Zero.

Agreed on the gimmick'd racing games.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oooh another one from back in the day - a PC racing game called Whiplash, AKA "Fatal Racing." It was a 32-car racing game that had some absolutely NUTS tracks and frequently fucked with the laws of gravity to make impossible ouroboros tracks. And yes, you could bump enemy cars til they explode. But mostly I liked it because it worked on LAN so all my friends could play it at LAN parties together. We frequently flip flopped between Whiplash and Carmageddon (which I don't really count as a racing game, even though you can win it by racing... it's more of a demolition derby).

Today one of my favorite racing games is Road Redemption, a spiritual sequel/reboot to the Road Rash series. Again... GIMMICK! Motorcycle mad-max racing with weapons... melee weapons, firearms, explosives, jump jets...

Thinking about racing games, you know what sub-genre never interested me? Cycling. You'd think I'd be a big fan of them, but no. Even the ones where you go downhill doing crazy stunts, they never held my interest.

I kinda wish I was a game developer because there's a biking game I'd love to play: being a bike courier. Set it in a city, have deliveries to make, try and follow the rules of the road (so teach people hand signals), etc. Heck, even go further and add bike fixing mechanics into it, like maintaining your bike, swapping out parts, or even getting different bikes. Maybe add some infrastructure changes to it, so as you progress, the city approves more bike lanes and infrastructure, making your rides a little easier.