What are you playing?

Just when you think you're out...

All this talk of Skyrim has inspired me to start a new game of it. And since @Squidleybits will ask, female wood elf, I've decided to bow to the inevitable & go sneaky archer right from the off, also already planning to assassinate the leaders of both sides in the Civil War because screw the Imperials for wanting to execute me just 'cause & screw the Stormcloaks for mouthing off about damn elves right in front of me. That's just rude.

I play Slay the Spire before bed. I'm at Ascension 5 or 6 with each of the characters and at this point, it doesn't seem to matter how OP I manage to get my build, one bad draw during the third zone seems to just end my game. It's infuriating. Deck is running like a smoothly oiled engine and then I'll get a useless opening draw against one of the fucking annoying enemy combos in zone 3 and that's it. I'm set back so far that I'm on the back foot until I eventually lose a few stages later.

Third floor hallway fights are something you need to plan for in deckbuilding just like you would for any of the elites and bosses. If you're consistently losing your runs to them you're probably undervaluing the options that deal well with them. The higher you go in ascension the more the game shifts from rewarding OP builds full of synergy to punishing you for not having a well-rounded deck that can deal with everything.

Battlefront 2. So. People talking about the NEW Star Wars game made me think about giving the old one's campaign a try. Jeeeezus. How is it still this fucking unpolished? I'm flying the Millennium Falcon in one of the dreary, boring flight stages and a TIE Fighter runs into me and I EXPLODE. It keeps on flying. WHAT? WHAT THE FUCK? FUCK YOU! It freezes during load times, though, even with an SSD, the load times are so long you wouldn't know. It's incredibly unstable. Is this what DICE games are like? How do people play these?

And it crashed and deleted my save game. GOOD. Thank you for making this easier. UNINSTALLLLLLLLL.

1/10.

It gets a 1 for a really good Janina Gavankar model.

Waiting for my daughter to get off the switch with Skyrim, so I picked up The Stick of Truth for six bucks. I started it, and it's amusing, but I'm concerned I may have grown out of South Park's somewhat mean sense of humor, and it may put me off of it quickly. Hope not though.
It won me over, but at what cost? I was playing while my son was in the room (he's 13 and heard me and his mom talk, so language isn't really a concern anymore), and it went into the most surprisingly disturbing and outright obscene setting that I had to pause, mute it, and send him to the other side of the room until it was done, the whole time not answering "What are you laughing at?".

GasBandit

Staff member
My last match of the night tonight was a real heartbreaker. It literally came down to the last two players (I was the second to last on our team to die)... so close.

Jedi Fallen Order

Brought this game home tonight, figured I'd play a little, and suddenly it's 5am. So yeah... It's pretty good.

View attachment 32434
My first issue I'm having is that enemies telegraph their stuff so far in advance that I literally can't help but twitch into reactions and finish my parry or my dodge well before the attack even hits. I hate to say this, but I wish they didn't.

My first issue I'm having is that enemies telegraph their stuff so far in advance that I literally can't help but twitch into reactions and finish my parry or my dodge well before the attack even hits. I hate to say this, but I wish they didn't.
I thought I was fucking crazy, or just legitimately finally starting to be absolutely shit at games until I realized that, unlike nearly every game I've ever played, when they flash red for the unavoidable attacks you weren't meant to dodge right then. I could not get my brain and fingers not to twitch react to that prompt as soon as they flashed and I spent a good portion at the start dying constantly.

I did end up getting the hang of it and some saber upgrades made crowd fighting much easier later on but I was ready to put it down initially.

I think the game is a great first entry, and a massive breath of fresh air in terms of eschewing all these unfortunately now standard microtransactions but there is definitely some small improvements to be made for the inevitable sequel. Particularly, the cosmetic boxes that litter the game take way too long to open, made even worse when you have to first slice some of those then actually click to open. Why that wasn't rolled into a single action is beyond me.

Anyways, AI: The Somnium Files has my favorite ending of any game ever, which honestly says more about my personality than the worth of the game. But it's still a great visual novel game.

Bloodborne has literally made me awful at this game. The combat is SO slow in comparison.
Except when enemies burst out of the ground with literally no warning to get a cheap hit in that you literally cannot react to. Then it switches to the slow combat.

Anyways, AI: The Somnium Files has my favorite ending of any game ever, which honestly says more about my personality than the worth of the game. But it's still a great visual novel game.
Still need to buy and play this. Maybe over Christmas break

Why does Cal's overhead slash require force meter? Does he expend the force to hold his lightsaber higher than usual? EEETZ DUMB.

I'm having the exact opposite experience as @Frank

I love the game and the combat, it's never felt slow to me. However I also don't like souls games, and so am not trying to play this like a souls game because it does not feel like one to me.

So I just tried out FAR CRY: PRIMAL. It's...meh? I don't know. Functionally, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that I already played Far Cry 3 and this felt like the same thing with a different coat of paint. Albeit an interesting coat of paint, but not enough to keep me going.

So I just tried out FAR CRY: PRIMAL. It's...meh? I don't know. Functionally, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that I already played Far Cry 3 and this felt like the same thing with a different coat of paint. Albeit an interesting coat of paint, but not enough to keep me going.
It plays like every Ubisoft game.

Started Ruiner today. I'm not a big fan of isometric twitch shooters, but it's pretty and entertaining thus far, so long as I'm willing to redo big fights over and over.

It basically goes...

Far Cry: You have super powers in a bog standard FPS!
Far Cry 2: Wide expansive map!
Far Cry 3: ... Wide Expansive Map with fun challenges!
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon: EVERYTHING IS NEON AND AWESOME AND IT'S FULL OF LASER SHOOTING DINOSAURS! This one is actually fun!
Far Cry 4: ... uh... Wide Expansive Map with... challenges. Oh, and you can fly now!
Far Cry Primal: The map from the last game, but your a caveman and the focus is on bow combat! That's original, right?
Far Cry 5: Literally the exact same game as Far Cry 4, but we're gonna be edgelords about conservatism in America without taking an actual stance! Oh and you can't change the ending! Because...
Far Cry New Dawn: The exact same map as the last game, but suddenly it's post apocalyptic and everything's shitty. It's an official sequel to the last game and nothing is resolved meaningfully! But everything's colorful!

Some of them are fun? But they are all the same.

Far Cry 1 was awesome....for the first half. The open way you could assault bases, all that jazz. Then the second half has you fighting monsters in corridors.

SHOCKING that the team that made it is Crytek, who went on to the COMPLETELY different Crysis.

Since @GasBandit mentioned it a bit ago... I've been playing MWO myself a bit. A good round last night in my MAD-3R, RAC Attack (3 RAC-2/4 ER Slas).

racattack.png

Not bad, considering it looks like this!
racattack2.png

Even with the RAC nerf, if you can stick three of them on something, they still strip assaults.

GasBandit

Staff member
I see a lot of people using RACs, if this is them nerfed, I'd hate to have seen what they were like before... they tear shit up.

I was playing Stardew Valley, and I built up a good farm that I was proud of, so I thought it'd be a good time to set the game aside for a while...

And then yesterday they dropped a huge update for the game. There's a whole bunch of new stuff, like new events with NPCs, new buildings, new gameplay refinements, bug fixes and rebalances, etc...

Whelp, time to start a new farm!

I see a lot of people using RACs, if this is them nerfed, I'd hate to have seen what they were like before... they tear shit up.
RACs have good DPS, but they also have a huge flaw: Face Time. You HAVE to face the enemy as you fire them, so if they (or someone else nearby) knows where to shoot, they can take you out quick. Compare that to an Ultra 10 or LBX-10, which do similar damage but have less face time. Lasers have the same face time issue, but to a much lesser degree.

GasBandit

Staff member
RACs have good DPS, but they also have a huge flaw: Face Time. You HAVE to face the enemy as you fire them, so if they (or someone else nearby) knows where to shoot, they can take you out quick. Compare that to an Ultra 10 or LBX-10, which do similar damage but have less face time. Lasers have the same face time issue, but to a much lesser degree.
A good buddy of my mine likes to run a king crab with 6 AC/2s. It's a monster.

Just in case any of you like oldie school CRPGs and haven't played Tyranny, just fucking do it. It's the secret best one of the last decade (only really surpassed by DOS 2).

I'm that guy what bought Halo:MCC the instant Reach dropped and completed the campaign on normal today to get myself acquainted with the controls.

There's been reports of some issues but it's running pretty smoothly for me. No subtitles in-game except for cutscenes is a bit of a bummer tho.

Dave

Staff member
Someone asked me if I'm going to play Halo. "Nope", says I, "I don't own it."

He countered with, "It's on Game Pass."

:csi: