What are you playing?

So quick question. My brother and I were looking for something to co-op a bit. We don't have a ton of time to devote, and as crazy as it sounds, I probably have a little more time than he does (He just got a job at a top cancer hospital and has a newborn). We'd only play together once or twice a week. He was interested in both FFXIV and Elite: Dangerous.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably like to play FFXIV, but if I did, I have a few questions:

1. I have the Starter Edition from Twitch Prime. That's just the base game with no expansions up until lvl 50, is that right? There's a new xpac coming in the summer which gives you all the expansions in addition to that one, so if we decided to play this, I'd be better off waiting to purchase expansions until then, correct?

2. Thumbing through this thread, I hear its sorta solo friendly--but is it also co-op friendly? Would my brother and I be able to meet up and play together without a lot of hassle?

3. If I do end up having more time to play, is there a way to play without outclassing and leaving my brother behind? Perhaps via some sort of level adjustment system or by simply switching to a class that I can keep leveled at his pace?

4. Is it dense? Is it going to take more time to figure out then the time I'd realistically have to play it?

5. I assume Elite: Dangerous is just as bad, seeing posts how it takes some people weeks to feel like they can reasonably fly a ship.

I'd wait until the new xpac comes out to buy any yes.

I think you'll get bored with FF14 pretty quick though, knowing your predilections.

I played No Man's Sky for about 14 hours yesterday - 13 of that on stream. While its miles and leagues ahead of where it was there are still some issues I have with it that really need to be addressed. And some things that are just weird.

• Each base can have up to 10 additional storage containers. These containers have only FIVE - yes, FIVE - high capacity slots. So technically the whole thing only fits 50 different items. Which is insane. These boxes are HUGE and they fit fuck-all.
  • Worse, though, is that even though you have all of this additional storage, there's no central DB. Want to find the 1000 carbon you put into your storage? Check box 1. No? Check box 2. No? Check box 3...
  • When you DO find the 1000 carbon in your storage you have to have 4 open inventory slots in your exo-suit to do anything with it. Why? Because you can't split stacks. You can't just take out 50 or 200 - it's 1000 or nothing. Suck it.
  • Multiplayer is weird. Everyone is in the same universe so it's possible to meet people. They show as glowing lights like something out of Star Trek. If you and a friend want to play you can join each others' games, but that has its own set of wonky rules.
  • If I join your game, I start in space at the planet where you currently are. Doesn't matter what my last save was. Fuck you. Now you're 30 LY away orbiting a planet you didn't know existed. What? You haven't researched warp technology or teleporters? LOL! Sucks to be you! Git gud, n00b.
  • Whether you are in a friend's game or not, you can completely manipulate anyone else's stuff. That base looking all pretty? Bet it would look good with half the walls gone. Oh, and don't bother looking for any of your stuff because it's gone. Defenses? What are they? No base defenses exist. Granted the universe is so big the chances people are going to run into you are slim to none. Except that one mission that tells you where someone else's base is. Here, I'll mark it for you on your galaxy map.
There are probably other things I'm going to run into. Even though I have 98.5 hours since Tuesday (I accidentally left is running overnight. Twice.) I still have a long way to go. I don't even have a farm or exocrafts yet so I know I'm still in the beginning stages of the game.

I still like this better than Empyrion but that game does some things better.
This is why I turned off all multiplayer features in NMS and only ever play single player.

And yes, that giant box only holding piddling items boggles my mind too.

So quick question. My brother and I were looking for something to co-op a bit. We don't have a ton of time to devote, and as crazy as it sounds, I probably have a little more time than he does (He just got a job at a top cancer hospital and has a newborn). We'd only play together once or twice a week. He was interested in both FFXIV and Elite: Dangerous.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably like to play FFXIV, but if I did, I have a few questions:

1. I have the Starter Edition from Twitch Prime. That's just the base game with no expansions up until lvl 50, is that right? There's a new xpac coming in the summer which gives you all the expansions in addition to that one, so if we decided to play this, I'd be better off waiting to purchase expansions until then, correct?

2. Thumbing through this thread, I hear its sorta solo friendly--but is it also co-op friendly? Would my brother and I be able to meet up and play together without a lot of hassle?

3. If I do end up having more time to play, is there a way to play without outclassing and leaving my brother behind? Perhaps via some sort of level adjustment system or by simply switching to a class that I can keep leveled at his pace?

4. Is it dense? Is it going to take more time to figure out then the time I'd realistically have to play it?

5. I assume Elite: Dangerous is just as bad, seeing posts how it takes some people weeks to feel like they can reasonably fly a ship.
FF14 is much easier to get into than elite dangerous. And even if you outlevel someone, you can always switch to a different job that is at a lower level, or level sync to do content with him. Say for example you are level 30 but he's level 15 and needs to do a dungeon, you can still party with him and you will be lowered to level 15 for the dungeon

1.) Wait for the expansion. You COULD buy it now, but you still wouldn't get Heavensward and Stormblood until June 28th at the earliest.

2.) Meeting up isn't hard, but there isn't a lot of reason to unless you're going to be gathering together or you want to do FATEs. Most of the main story stuff is solo instanced, any dungeon/trial/raid content will match you with other players (but if teamed together when you start the Duty Finder, you can always do them together).

3.) Each class levels independently, but you do get an XP bonus for classes lower than your highest class.

4.) Have you played WoW? It's less dense than that, unless you're playing Ninja. Many FF14 classes are roughly analogous to WoW classes.

Paladin -> Protection Paladin
Black Mage -> Flame Wizard
White Mage -> Holy Priest
Scholar -> Discipline Priest with a Healing Pet
Summoner -> Mix of Affliction/Destruction Warlock
etc...

It's nothing radically new. Each class has one build and one rotation, so figuring out the class is additive and not super dense.

American Truck Simulator. I don't think I'm cut out to be a semi driver. Just pulling onto the highway, I think I crashed the trailer...

American Truck Simulator. I don't think I'm cut out to be a semi driver. Just pulling onto the highway, I think I crashed the trailer...
I played a ton of european truck simulator back in the day. It's the only game I've ever bought a special controller for (steering wheel and pedal combo). It's the only way I could easily back into the delivery spots (which nets a bonus). It was a PITA on keyboard/mouse, and I rarely succeeded.

There are Palicos from Monster Hunter in Final Fantasy!!!

The best of both worlds!!
Yeah, it's from a LVL 70 quest in Stormblood content. It's a Monster Hunter crossover with a few unique twists in the trial. Do it on Savage and you can win a MH mount... just doing the normal version gets you the Palico pet.

There are few more crossovers but most aren't active all the time... the GARO stuff can be bought in Gold Saucer for points and mounts can be earned in PVP, but pretty much everything else (FF11, Dragon Quest, and Yokai Watch! stuff) is ether seasonal, a one time event, or done at the request of the property owner.

We're also getting a niEr: Automata crossover in the next 24-man raid series, which will be written and designed by Yoko Taro himself.

Last edited:
I played a ton of european truck simulator back in the day. It's the only game I've ever bought a special controller for (steering wheel and pedal combo). It's the only way I could easily back into the delivery spots (which nets a bonus). It was a PITA on keyboard/mouse, and I rarely succeeded.
I just forgot the one thing they emphasized with me in my school bus training last year - cutting the curbs. I forgot that you need to swing your truck left before you make the right turn. Aaaaaand... guess what happened.

I just forgot the one thing they emphasized with me in my school bus training last year - cutting the curbs. I forgot that you need to swing your truck left before you make the right turn. Aaaaaand... guess what happened.
When I moved up here from Texas, I used an off-brand truck rental company (uhaul and the other name brands were all sold out for the day in question). I ended up with a truck that looked more like this:
1553437195316.png

And after playing truck simulator for over a year, I felt like this:
1553437257644.jpeg

My wife was dumbfounded when I backed it smoothly up to parking space in front of the apartment door.

Dave

Staff member
Update on the storage issue with No Man's Sky. You don't get 10 storage containers per base. You get 10 storage containers PERIOD! Every crate from 0-9 share contents. If you have a crate marked 0 at your primary base and build another 0 at a different base light years away, they share inventory.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round: Core Fighters

Framerate glitches and crashes galore, everything (and I mean everything, even story game mode) is locked away behind paid dlc, and frankly not that good a fighting game to begin with. All the jiggling boobies in the world can't make me keep playing this game. And that's really disappointing, given how much I was a DOA fanboy back in the 2/3/XBV days.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round: Core Fighters

Framerate glitches and crashes galore, everything (and I mean everything, even story game mode) is locked away behind paid dlc, and frankly not that good a fighting game to begin with. All the jiggling boobies in the world can't make me keep playing this game. And that's really disappointing, given how much I was a DOA fanboy back in the 2/3/XBV days.
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore was a top notch fighting game with a unique tag team system. It was worth playing even without the jiggle factor.

Sims 4. When the old man finally croaked, I moved the family from the Alto apartments to Newburg and a variant of the Blue Moon NoCC house (which my game says DOES have CC somewhere) by the same person. It had a piano and an easel that some of the kids gravitated to with hardly any prompting from me. One got level 10 piano before she ever made teen. The other maxed painting just before she hit Young Adult. Makes hitting the aspirations and career goals a whole lot easier.

Once the house matriarch passes (an AU Cassandra Goth I aged down to start the game), I'll move her painter daughter to a version of the Farnsworth House I found on Mod the Sims. Seems right to me.

Update on the storage issue with No Man's Sky. You don't get 10 storage containers per base. You get 10 storage containers PERIOD! Every crate from 0-9 share contents. If you have a crate marked 0 at your primary base and build another 0 at a different base light years away, they share inventory.
This is why the first thing you should do at EVERY new system you're in is use the slot at the starbase to upgrade your storage. And then pursue dropships (that's not the name, the place where you can upgrade your storage). That makes the game MUCH more pleasant. Not too expensive to start, gets expensive later, but by then you have (functionally) infinite money (for everything except ships).

43 Summoner and Arcanist
41 Fisher
31 Weaver
24 Miner
16 Carpenter
15 Culinarian
22 Goldsmith
17 Alchemist
16 Leatherworker
3 Botanist

Yeah, I have issues.

Last edited:
I knew Dark Souls was going to be frustrating, but WOW. I think I'm going to left those games for last, before I abandon them.

I knew Dark Souls was going to be frustrating, but WOW. I think I'm going to left those games for last, before I abandon them.
If you have a PS4, I would have some advice regarding the Souls series: play Bloodborne first. I find that the game, it's concept, and even the difficulty "click" better and sooner in Bloodborne, to the point that after playing Bloodborne, a lot of people can go back and enjoy Dark Souls a lot more.

As another piece of advice: learn to play without a shield. It's WAY more fun.

I just wish those games had an easy mode, so you could explore and enjoy the immersive environments and uncover the lore, without getting ground into a paste every 35 seconds.

43 Summoner and Arcanist
Did you even do the Scholar quest? Curious.
41 Fisher
31 Weaver
24 Miner
16 Carpenter
15 Culinarian
22 Goldsmith
17 Alchemist
16 Leatherworker
3 Botanist

Yeah, I have issues.
Yes, yes you do. I have botany up at 60, and fishing is like 15 or something, but everything else: just no.

When you get to 50, get somebody to buy you the Ishgard gear (just money and not that much). Then you'll stomp the Post-50 but pre-Heavensward content.

For my self...

- 70 RDM, WAR, MCH
- 60 NIN
- 60 WHM
- 30 Everything Else

- 70 CRP, WVR, CUL, GSM
- 30 Everything Else

- 64 Miner
I've played ALOT of this.

Yes, yes you do. I have botany up at 60, and fishing is like 15 or something, but everything else: just no.

When you get to 50, get somebody to buy you the Ishgard gear (just money and not that much). Then you'll stomp the Post-50 but pre-Heavensward content.
How much is the Ishgard gear? My retainers are making good money selling the extra gear I’ve made while leveling my crafting. And my extra fish. I’m almost 50 now. I need to do Garuda, but I didn’t feel like starting up the duty finder that late last night.

No, I didn’t do that quest yet. Is it fun?

How much is the Ishgard gear? My retainers are making good money selling the extra gear I’ve made while leveling my crafting. And my extra fish. I’m almost 50 now. I need to do Garuda, but I didn’t feel like starting up the duty finder that late last night.
I dunno. Probably less than 100k for all of them together, but I dunno. Ask a guildmate (or something) to go into Ishgard and get it for you.
No, I didn’t do that quest yet. Is it fun?
Gets you another soul crystal so you can be a scholar when you want to be. I've seen people call them the best healer. Below 50, it might even be the same gear as "normal" casters even. And as for fun, I just "like" Astralogian more, but that's personal preference, not that scholar is bad.

I did the 7th umbral era quests without buying gear and never felt like any of it was that difficult

Level 50 and cut off from gaining more exp so it’s time to pick a second job.

I’m going to try black mage because why not :)
Until you complete the quests prior to Heavensward at least. There's 100 of them. I'd get started, so that when you WANT to progress, you CAN.