What are you playing?

Gonna be honest, wasn't expecting the crafting to be so intricate.

Very neato.

Was deffo expecting more along the lines of the WoW select to make something, watch character clink-clink for 30 seconds.

Gonna be honest, wasn't expecting the crafting to be so intricate.

Very neato.

Was deffo expecting more along the lines of the WoW select to make something, watch character clink-clink for 30 seconds.
This seems to be a love it/hate it kind of deal for some folks. Some folks get angry because other games trained them that getting the mats is the hard part (and it still is) and that was all the work they need to do. FF14 instead decided to make it more effortful so they could justify letting people make end-game equipment.

I could see it getting tedious as hell. I just spent an hour doing 30 levels of goldsmithing and I'm definitely done doing that for a while.

I could see it getting tedious as hell. I just spent an hour doing 30 levels of goldsmithing and I'm definitely done doing that for a while.
It's honestly much faster than you'd think it is, once you've unlocked Ishgard Restoration and can grind out high XP turn ins or do collectables for Rowena. Gathering takes a bit to raise (especially Fishing) but you could grind a crafter from 1-80 in a single afternoon if you really wanted to, especially with the Road to 70 buff.

All of these are worth gobs of crafting XP.
- Crafting Leves
- Deliveries for your GC.
- Collectables for Rowena.
- Custom Deliveries for various people.
- Ishgard Restoration

I mained a samurai for awhile, and the skill names are all long japanese words and to this day I still don't know what any of them are called. It made talking about samurai rotation really hard, I just thought of them as button 1, button 2, etc.
1600755886218.png

Ok, lol.

I'll take Fire 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

PS: Imperial uniforms are hilarious. Baggy hoodie and tight leggings.

Last edited:
Been playing a number of games on the Game Pass since getting it. And...I've been play a LOT lately because I've been severely depressed and calling into work a lot.

I mentioned Grounded already and I'm still playing that once in awhile. I'm getting antsy for another update, though. I REALLY want to play more of it, but since it's in Early Access, the road ahead is gonna be a long one. I'm tempted to buy it on Steam, partly to support the devs and partly to access the beta test server for new content. On the other hand, I might just go the Subnautica route and wait for it all to finally finish before really diving into it.

Also played five minutes of the new Battletoads before giving up. I didn't like it at all. Which is a shame because I loved the old NES game.

I got hooked on The Outer Worlds for a short while. But then I hit a spot where the game would consistently crash as soon as I started the mission. And it happened consistently every time I tried starting the mission again. So I gave up and uninstalled it.

Spiritfarer, on the other hand, is a complete delight, but also the kind of game that turns me into a sobbing mess in some parts. I'm kind of losing interest in it now, though, as the world gets bigger and I'm not finding myself as engaged to continue. I might pick it up again.

I'd played Frostpunk once before and it was too damn difficult for me to really get into, but I had a hankering to try it again. After a few bad starts, I finally figured out some surefire ways to surviving. And watched a few guides and tips on YouTube. I managed to beat the story twice. The first time was a major struggle at the end, as I hadn't stockpiled enough food, so a LOT of people died. But the second time I beat it, I knew what was coming and was well-prepared, so I didn't lose anyone in the end.

And finally, I started playing A Plague Tale: Innocence tonight and it's a heck of a game. Very linear, but sometimes a linear game is good if the story and characters are engaging enough, as it is here. The little boy really grates on me, though, as he does some REALLY stupid things like playing hide and seek while you're being hunted by the Inquisition. The rat swarms are constantly unnerving, though, and the game's whole atmosphere and aesthetics are appropriately creepy. I'll probably keep pushing through this one.

Any recommendations for games on the Game Pass right now? I'm half-tempted to play the Halo collection because I've never played a single Halo game. But I don't know how well they'd hold up without rose-colored nostalgia goggles like a long-time Halo fan might have. And it seems like Halo is better known for its multiplayer than single player campaign.

Been playing a number of games on the Game Pass since getting it. And...I've been play a LOT lately because I've been severely depressed and calling into work a lot.

I mentioned Grounded already and I'm still playing that once in awhile. I'm getting antsy for another update, though. I REALLY want to play more of it, but since it's in Early Access, the road ahead is gonna be a long one. I'm tempted to buy it on Steam, partly to support the devs and partly to access the beta test server for new content. On the other hand, I might just go the Subnautica route and wait for it all to finally finish before really diving into it.

Also played five minutes of the new Battletoads before giving up. I didn't like it at all. Which is a shame because I loved the old NES game.

I got hooked on The Outer Worlds for a short while. But then I hit a spot where the game would consistently crash as soon as I started the mission. And it happened consistently every time I tried starting the mission again. So I gave up and uninstalled it.

Spiritfarer, on the other hand, is a complete delight, but also the kind of game that turns me into a sobbing mess in some parts. I'm kind of losing interest in it now, though, as the world gets bigger and I'm not finding myself as engaged to continue. I might pick it up again.

I'd played Frostpunk once before and it was too damn difficult for me to really get into, but I had a hankering to try it again. After a few bad starts, I finally figured out some surefire ways to surviving. And watched a few guides and tips on YouTube. I managed to beat the story twice. The first time was a major struggle at the end, as I hadn't stockpiled enough food, so a LOT of people died. But the second time I beat it, I knew what was coming and was well-prepared, so I didn't lose anyone in the end.

And finally, I started playing A Plague Tale: Innocence tonight and it's a heck of a game. Very linear, but sometimes a linear game is good if the story and characters are engaging enough, as it is here. The little boy really grates on me, though, as he does some REALLY stupid things like playing hide and seek while you're being hunted by the Inquisition. The rat swarms are constantly unnerving, though, and the game's whole atmosphere and aesthetics are appropriately creepy. I'll probably keep pushing through this one.

Any recommendations for games on the Game Pass right now? I'm half-tempted to play the Halo collection because I've never played a single Halo game. But I don't know how well they'd hold up without rose-colored nostalgia goggles like a long-time Halo fan might have. And it seems like Halo is better known for its multiplayer than single player campaign.
I personally think Halo 1-3 still hold up as single player games

Frostpunk, in general, is just blisteringly hard... mistakes made in the early game can and will bite you in the ass and make victory impossible. That said, I really like the Last Autumn scenario and have actually managed to build The Generator without faults and all improvements. It's just hard to know what is coming sometimes without seeing it yourself.

I hate Minfilia's costume. It's like the absolute worst of Final Fantasy sexualization and awful, over designed Final Fantasy nonsense.

On the other hand Merlwyb's is like the anti-Final Fantasy design. Her outfit is literally something someone could wear and it looks awesome.

They are the opposite ends of the spectrum.

If you're not aware of the characters, here they are:

Minfilia

1601006580612.png

There's an ass window on the back of her skirt so you can see her thigh gap from the back and her pants are just low enough that you can see the top of her ass crack. I KNOW THIS because the game can't help but always show those angles, as well as any shot of her starts right at her boobs and scans up.

Merlwyb

1601006767778.png

Attachments

I hate Minfilia's costume. It's like the absolute worst of Final Fantasy sexualization and awful, over designed Final Fantasy nonsense.

On the other hand Merlwyb's is like the anti-Final Fantasy design. Her outfit is literally something someone could wear and it looks awesome.

Minfilia

View attachment 35475

There's an ass window on the back of her skirt so you can see her thigh gap from the back and her pants are just low enough that you can see the top of her ass crack. I KNOW THIS because the game can't help but always show those angles, as well as any shot of her starts right at her boobs and scans up.

Merlwyb

View attachment 35477
All of the scions go through costume changes throughout the expansions. They get better. And Merlwyb is the best leader.

100%

The three (and I'm guessing since I just killed a dragon on a big bridge soon to be 4) leaders are the choices of a bad ass pirate queen, a figure head owned by shitty merchants and hippies. The fourth is probably a fucking insane zealot since Ishgard, so far, sucks.

No contest.

Sadly, there hasn't been any Hildebrand announced for Shadowbringers (and we're at the point where we should) so who knows if he's getting more than a cameo this expansion.

He can show up during one segment of The Heroes Gauntlet in a blink and you'll miss it moment. To say more would be MASSIVE spoilers for the end of Shadowbringers.

I'm holding out hope that we get something, but I would be perfectly understanding if he gets delayed until the next expansion.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm still playing Deep Rock Galactic. For those who don't remember/haven't heard, it's Left 4 Dead but with sci-fi dwarves in space fighting alien bugs instead of zombies. It's the best L4D since L4D2. Fun as all heck.

October 8th, there's an update coming that adds two more mission types. I'm psyched. If anybody wants to play it, give me a shout.

GasBandit

Staff member

Minfilia

View attachment 35475

Merlwyb

View attachment 35477
See, and here I like Minfilia's (except for the extraneous metal greeble dangling off her for no reason, and find Merlwyb's suit boring AF. That's like... a base tier mook uniform).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Not like I play it anyway.

I still need to play through the new Expansion. FFXIV is still my favorite MMO of the last 15 years. Every time I think about logging on though, I'm like "But dental school...."

And then I play through all of Red Dead 2. So, nothing I do makes sense.

See, and here I like Minfilia's (except for the extraneous metal greeble dangling off her for no reason, and find Merlwyb's suit boring AF. That's like... a base tier mook uniform).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Not like I play it anyway.
In this world she stands out like a sore thumb, being the only character not made of belts and kibble.

I ACCUSE YOU OF REGICIDE.

Mother fucker, I will cast so many flares if your little doll self or your level 35 guards fucking take one step towards me.

In this world she stands out like a sore thumb, being the only character not made of belts and kibble.
One thing I really like about the game is that every country/faction/etc has very specific fashion senses. You can generally tell where an NPC is from based on their race and how they're dressed. Are they an elf? Well, if they're dressed like a hippy they're probably from Gridania, otherwise they're probably pompous and french and from Ishgard. Are they sensibly dressed and/or dressed like a pirate? Probably from Limsa Lominsa. Are they a soulless lalafel? Either from the pits of hell or from Ul'dah

Oh, Thancred's allowed to be a badass in a cutscene but me, the storyline dude who fucking slays monsters and Gods and ancient kings, comes along quietly?

Man, there's some of that REAL ludonarrative dissonance going on in this cutscene.

Oh you go on ahead. We'll stay and hold them off.

OOOORRRRR I could explode the seven of them on our tail and we could all just mosey. Jesus.

This cutscene is making me want to die it's so fucking cliche and terrible.

At least Haurchefant is the staunchest of bros. Oh Jesus. ANOTHER long cut scene warning. Is this Final Fantasy or Xenoblade?

The only thing about that last cut scene that wasn't madness inducing was Raubahn hulking out and cutting that little soulless shit eating smiler in twine.

Credits, JESUS, is that how they left things between expansions!! Holy fuck, thems some brass God damn balls.

Last edited:
Oh, Thancred's allowed to be a badass in a cutscene but me, the storyline dude who fucking slays monsters and Gods and ancient kings, comes along quietly?

Man, there's some of that REAL ludonarrative dissonance going on in this cutscene.

Oh you go on ahead. We'll stay and hold them off.

OOOORRRRR I could explode the seven of them on our tail and we could all just mosey. Jesus.

This cutscene is making me want to die it's so fucking cliche and terrible.

At least Haurchefant is the staunchest of bros. Oh Jesus. ANOTHER long cut scene warning. Is this Final Fantasy or Xenoblade?

The only thing about that last cut scene that wasn't madness inducing was Raubahn hulking out and cutting that little soulless shit eating smiler in twine.

Credits, JESUS, is that how they left things between expansions!! Holy fuck, thems some brass God damn balls.
Generally speaking, if you get the "this cutscene might take awhile" notice, you're at the end of or at a major moment in an Expansion. You always get credits because the staff sometimes changes between expansions, especially the writing staff.

Now that you're on your way to Heavensward, I definitely recommend picking up Dark Knight as a class, if only to experience it's story. It's widely regarded as the best class story and it's writer (Natsuko Ishikawa) went on to be become the lead writer of Shadowbringers... and as one of the "Ishgard" based classes, it's always a welcome return to the city in later expansions and a reminder that things don't just "stop" when the Warrior of Light isn't around.

Finished Void Bastards, that was a very good time. I think it will be good to revisit next year, but doing the no death run in hard bastard was just annoying enough to make me be done.

Alphinaud suddenly not being Sam Reigal is a huge change.

Ok, everyone is different. This blows. New Merlwyb is not nearly old Merlwyb.

Last edited:
Alphinaud suddenly not being Sam Reigal is a huge change.

Ok, everyone is different. This blows. New Merlwyb is not nearly old Merlwyb.
Very few of the 1.0/2.0 voice actors remained, but virtually all of them are an improvement. The other big change in voice actors is for Yugiri after the 3.5 patch, as her voice actor died tragically. Other than those, everyone else remains consistent from this point forward.

Very few of the 1.0/2.0 voice actors remained, but virtually all of them are an improvement. The other big change in voice actors is for Yugiri after the 3.5 patch, as her voice actor died tragically. Other than those, everyone else remains consistent from this point forward.
Yugiri changes voice actresses like five different times. I'm pretty sure at one point the voice actress was a japanese intern that didn't know english.

So I've been playing BPM: Beats Per Minute

Or as I like to call it, Doom Doom Revolution

It's a roguelike first person shooter where you have to shoot, dodge and reload to the beat of the music.

Oh, Thancred stops me from punching someone out in a cutscene and then does it himself. Fuck you FF14. I want my character to feel like part of the story AT SOME POINT.

The silent protagonist approach fucking sucks.

Oh, Thancred stops me from punching someone out in a cutscene and then does it himself. Fuck you FF14. I want my character to feel like part of the story AT SOME POINT.

The silent protagonist approach fucking sucks.
This is very much one of the strengths of Shadowbringers: despite the ensemble cast having their own stories and interacting with the main story, this is very much a story about YOU and where YOU fit into all of this. It's not afraid to ask why you're doing this or if that motivation is even a serious one, it just wants to know where you stand in all of this and the (for lack of a better word) "player personality" comes to the forefront with a lot of dialog choices. Even just being able to pick more than 2 responses for things makes the game suddenly much more about you. You get to have a lot more personality.

This is very much one of the strengths of Shadowbringers: despite the ensemble cast having their own stories and interacting with the main story, this is very much a story about YOU and where YOU fit into all of this. It's not afraid to ask why you're doing this or if that motivation is even a serious one, it just wants to know where you stand in all of this and the (for lack of a better word) "player personality" comes to the forefront with a lot of dialog choices. Even just being able to pick more than 2 responses for things makes the game suddenly much more about you. You get to have a lot more personality.
I actually liked the silent protagonist thing through up to storm blood, which is where I feel like the player character gets more personality. It felt like I was part of an ensemble anime cast where I'm the hero with the power to kill gods but politics is boring Alphinaud you deal with this I'll be the muscle

Don'ta get me started on Alphinaud and the anime trope of 15 year old or however old this little person is supposed to be being in charge of people and people actually listening to him.

They keep calling Thancred grizzled old. I'm sure he's 24. Though who can tell in this squadron of bleached blondes and silver haired 14 year olds where I am the literal only non-blonde.

I'm about to fuck up Nidhogg for the second time.