What are you playing?

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
2,402 1,112 23
Testing out an ARK server. You can join us if you want.

IP: 54.39.141.76:2017
Password: halforums

Reactions
315 57 0
Testing out an ARK server. You can join us if you want.

IP: 54.39.141.76:2017
Password: halforums
OOO

I'll jump on later if it's still up. Cleaning at the moment but ARK is fun for awhile. Have you messed with taming and hunger speeds at all? I find them almost unplayable at the base rate.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
2,402 1,112 23
OOO

I'll jump on later if it's still up. Cleaning at the moment but ARK is fun for awhile. Have you messed with taming and hunger speeds at all? I find them almost unplayable at the base rate.
Taming is x10, EXP is x3, Hunger/Thirst is 1/2 speed.

Reactions
1,346 487 6
Holy moses, I just reinstalled Pillars of Eternity 2 to give it a try now that it has a ton of DLC and stuff and wow, the turn-based mode is a fucking Godsend. I've never been that partial to the real time combat of modern CRPGs. This turn based mode is all I've ever wanted. Allows me to use all my party's abilities instead of just letting the party AI handle everything. It's exactly what I needed. It might make the combat take longer, but I'm actually enjoying it now.

Reactions
214 154 0
Just finished Firewatch with @Eriol.

Fascinating game. Probably best described as interactive storytelling more than a "game" per se, but still super interesting and a really engaging narrative.

Reactions
296 99 0
Immortal Redneck - So dumb, but if you want to shoot things for a while without thinking, it does the job.

Inside - I'm loving it, but it's honestly kind of stressful to play. I guess most survival horror games are like that, but I get into the puzzle elements and forget briefly that everything is trying to kill me.

Reactions
1,383 364 2
Just finished playing UNTIL DAWN. I nearly finished it last night because I was up very late on the edge of my seat. The only reason I didn't finish it last night is because I had to be up early today. Super engaging and hard to put down. The "interactive story" gameplay lends well with a horror setting.

My only criticism is the "Don't move" prompts. They're a great idea and lend to some extremely tense, nail-biting moments...except when you combine that with a controller that shakes? It's near impossible to achieve not moving.

I considered turning off that controller feature, but then I'd have to replay an entire chapter a third time (once to complete the game, a second to try again, but failed to save one character because of shaking).

Actually, another criticism: being unable to skip dialogue or cut scenes. I can understand perhaps not the first time around, but not on second playthroughs. Very annoying and time-wasting.

Also, the difference between "walk" and "fast walk" is nominal at best.

Still, I enjoyed the game overall. I wound up surprisingly caring about all but one of the characters. And it had some great spooky and creepy moments. Definitely a good horror game pick for October.

Reactions
916 66 2
Just finished playing UNTIL DAWN. I nearly finished it last night because I was up very late on the edge of my seat. The only reason I didn't finish it last night is because I had to be up early today. Super engaging and hard to put down. The "interactive story" gameplay lends well with a horror setting.

My only criticism is the "Don't move" prompts. They're a great idea and lend to some extremely tense, nail-biting moments...except when you combine that with a controller that shakes? It's near impossible to achieve not moving.

I considered turning off that controller feature, but then I'd have to replay an entire chapter a third time (once to complete the game, a second to try again, but failed to save one character because of shaking).

Actually, another criticism: being unable to skip dialogue or cut scenes. I can understand perhaps not the first time around, but not on second playthroughs. Very annoying and time-wasting.

Still, I enjoyed the game overall. I wound up surprisingly caring about all but one of the characters. And it had some great spooky and creepy moments. Definitely a good horror game pick for October.
The successor, The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan, drops the "don't move" prompts for "Heartbeat" checks, which are much easier to do.

Reactions
1,383 364 2
The successor, The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan, drops the "don't move" prompts for "Heartbeat" checks, which are much easier to do.
Good to know, thanks. I think it's an interesting idea in theory. Just that the controller vibrate makes it far too punishing.

Reactions
1,335 266 6

Mike went from being a douche bag to the hero we all need.

Reactions
371 55 1
That’s good to know! I had fun with Grim Dawn, but the grinding for equipment sucked and I could never get a non-minion build to work. There seems to be a lot more variety available in PoE.

Reactions
2,571 731 25
That’s good to know! I had fun with Grim Dawn, but the grinding for equipment sucked and I could never get a non-minion build to work. There seems to be a lot more variety available in PoE.
I was doing pretty well with an "I heal faster than you can kill me" build in GD's base game, but I haven't played through the expansions yet.

--Patrick

Reactions
395 167 0
Last game for the letter D: Dishonored 2. What character should I use?.

For this letter there are 22 games finished and 27 abandoned.

Reactions
296 99 0
I'm glad I saw this. That's next on my list after October (spooky games only). I'm a big fan of low chaos and would have screwed that right up.

Reactions
904 261 0
My not-so-great laptop couldn't run GTA5 very well while I was in the UK over the past year, so now that I'm back in Taiwan and using my cool desktop computer again, I've started another runthrough of GTA5.

Here's the thing, though, for this particular playthrough I've been hit by an annoying bug: picking up hookers only works sporadically. Sometimes if I stop next to a hooker, I'll get the prompt to honk and pick her up. At other times, I could park next to a hooker for minutes on end and never get the prompt, and honking doesn't do anything except annoy her and eventually make her call the police. This happens with all three characters.

Now, I know, I know, picking up prostitutes is completely optional and is not required to make progress in the game. But it's not optional to ME, dammit!!

Reactions
1,346 487 6
I'm in love with Slay the Spire but I honestly feel like I'm getting worse at it somehow. I was hauling ass and taking names my first few runs getting to act 3, but now it feels like a miracle if I can eek through act 2.

Reactions
7,263 1,528 30
I'm in love with Slay the Spire but I honestly feel like I'm getting worse at it somehow. I was hauling ass and taking names my first few runs getting to act 3, but now it feels like a miracle if I can eek through act 2.
The disheartening thing about Slay the Spire is that RNGesus loves to torpedo your burgeoning deck build by giving you a bunch of cards that seem to indicate you need to be working toward a certain pardigm - and then change midstream, and fuck you over. It doesn't matter how good you are or how well you plan, if luck decides you're fucked today, you're fucked today.

Reactions
90 17 0
The disheartening thing about Slay the Spire is that RNGesus loves to torpedo your burgeoning deck build by giving you a bunch of cards that seem to indicate you need to be working toward a certain pardigm - and then change midstream, and fuck you over. It doesn't matter how good you are or how well you plan, if luck decides you're fucked today, you're fucked today.
The biggest trick I've picked up from watching people who are way, way better at the game than I am is that thinking in terms of paradigms is more and more of a trap as you raise the difficulty. The way to find consistent results is to constantly be adjusting your deck to solve the specific problems that upcoming fights/acts/bosses pose and avoiding the cards that demand specific synergies to be better than your starter cards.