What are you playing?

Now that Sony slightly got their head straight, Julie and I can play Fortnite between PS4 and Switch.

And we're both utterly terrible :awesome:. Several duo matches and we didn't kill a single person. But we have laid down lots of suppressive fire!

GasBandit

Staff member
In Stardew Valley, I got to wear a Tux when I once again married Leah, but Dei had to wear her farm overalls when she took her child-bride Abigail to the altar.

1538117594485.png

Dave

Staff member
We played PUBG squads last night. We got one kill. Yes, one kill between the four of us through about 5 games.

We were not good.

Dave

Staff member
20 if you count all four of us through five games. :)

edit: Per game. She said "per game", Dave. Learn to read, n00b.

Dave

Staff member
I didn't expect Pathfinder Kingmaker to be using the actual Pathfinder rules. I thought for a long time that WotC didn't allow video game adaptations of their core rules under the open license (Pathfinder is modified, crunchier D&D 3.5).

But it is straight up Pathfinder rules. These are some CRUNCHY ass character creation choices. So far they look 100% accurate to the tabletop game.
I can't find it on Steam any more.

Dave

Staff member
Click the link. It goes to a dead page and searching the store for Pathfinder only gives that crappy card game.

Dave

Staff member
Works for me now, too. Weird. When I posted earlier the game was not showing up in Steam at all and the link from their website went to a blank Steam page.

Just a blip, I guess.

Dave

Staff member
Nope, no blip. Figured it out. I tried to filter out games like the Japanese dating sims and the really weird shit. So it filtered out nudity and sexual content. And this game is tagged as having sexual content. So I guess I get to see the really weird shit so that the filter doesn't catch something I might really want to see.

Ok, here's my plea to game makers looking to recreate the D&D/Pathfinder experience in video games.

Vancian magic (the system of Magic where you have slots that get used up) doesn't fucking work in a game where you have 30 times the encounters of a tabletop RPG session. Wizards (my faaaaaavourite class by a billion miles) just sit back and shoot their crossbows or their 1d3 damaging acid sprays until you have an encounter where they are needed to blow their entire load which they severely trivialize, then you rest.

This system works in a traditional setting where you can have two or three encounters in a session.

There has to be a happy medium!

Ok, here's my plea to game makers looking to recreate the D&D/Pathfinder experience in video games.

Vancian magic (the system of Magic where you have slots that get used up) doesn't fucking work in a game where you have 30 times the encounters of a tabletop RPG session. Wizards (my faaaaaavourite class by a billion miles) just sit back and shoot their crossbows or their 1d3 damaging acid sprays until you have an encounter where they are needed to blow their entire load which they severely trivialize, then you rest.

This system works in a traditional setting where you can have two or three encounters in a session.

There has to be a happy medium!
I know 4th ed D&D gets a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but I really liked the magic system they used. You had at will spells that you could go any number of times without using up, per encounter spells that you could do 2 or 3 times during an encounter and then would regain them after combat, and then the big daily spells that you could only do once per day.

GasBandit

Staff member
A while back I made a comparison chart of the survival sandbox games I'd been playing. I've now updated it to reflect changes to Space Engineers, Subnautica, and Empyrion (the changes to minecraft didn't really seem to affect anything in the list).

Maybe at some point I'll add on stuff like 7 Days to Die (if I can play it without getting bored or a headache) and Long Dark, when I get around to it.

Attachments

I posted this in the magic thread, but I've been playing a lot of Magic the Gathering Arena. The interface is actually really nice now, and the game is fun to play. If you like magic and want to play online, give it a try, it's free.

It's in open beta right now, so there are a few features missing, namely a friend list and an ability to challenge said friends. So it's just draft, sealed and matchmaking constructed for right now.

GasBandit

Staff member
A while back I made a comparison chart of the survival sandbox games I'd been playing. I've now updated it to reflect changes to Space Engineers, Subnautica, and Empyrion (the changes to minecraft didn't really seem to affect anything in the list).

Maybe at some point I'll add on stuff like 7 Days to Die (if I can play it without getting bored or a headache) and Long Dark, when I get around to it.
Well heck, that didn't take so long... here's the same list, with The Long Dark added.

Attachments

Well heck, that didn't take so long... here's the same list, with The Long Dark added.
Unless they removed it, there IS a single-player campaign in Space Engineers. At least a year or so ago there was. Very objective-based and such. More like a mod you played to completion, rather than an integrated part of the game, but still, at least 3 or 4 chapters worth. Definitely different than a "hard no" like you have.

Also, a NMS comparison on there may also be worth it.

Sighhhh I GUESS

Edit: well that's odd, it tries to embed it but fails. Link
I suppose you're going by base game, but Minecraft has texture packs that are easy to download and install right from the main menu as far as graphics are concerned. (And some are also purchasable on console)

GasBandit

Staff member
I suppose you're going by base game, but Minecraft has texture packs that are easy to download and install right from the main menu as far as graphics are concerned. (And some are also purchasable on console)
I am indeed going by base game, but even the high res texture packs look janky and out of place on Minecraft blocks. And I don't think minecraft bump maps at all.

Also also, minecraft's texture patterns are strictly one-block-one-texture, whereas other games such as Empyrion allow you to layer multiple textures and colors over the same block, and furthermore, span textures across multiple blocks that create a a contiguous surface.

GasBandit

Staff member
Minecraft’s textures also tile, just not as well (which is not surprising given that they’re what, only 16x16?).

—Patrick
It looks even wierder if you get the super high resolution texture packs that cram 512x512 or more into the same space.

They can "tile" seamlessly but the overall texture repeated is still 1m by 1m, whereas many of the textures in empyrion have a much larger texture that is then subdivided across all the blocks.

Catherine

Sweet strawberry JESUS is this game hard! Also all the sheeple remind me of those old Scion commercials.

Bayonetta

So we're all agreed, this takes place in the dark reality that became the original Sonic universe after Sega killed it to death.