What are you playing?

There's a free Critical Role DLC that has all of Vox Machina + Gilmore. If you're into that kind of thing.

Their voice sets are pretty bad. Almost all of them use names and refer to themselves, so, unless you're exactly trying to make a clone of one of their characters, they're too narrow to be good.

Their voice sets are pretty bad. Almost all of them use names and refer to themselves, so, unless you're exactly trying to make a clone of one of their characters, they're too narrow to be good.
Probably why it's specifically called a Critical Role DLC pack, and not a "more voice lines" DLC pack. The commercial they made for the DLC makes me laugh.

Beyond: Two Souls - We waffled on this one years ago. This month it's a PS Plus game, so since it costs us nothing on top of what we're already paying to play PS4 online, Julie wanted to give it a go.

It's okay. Some of the individual scenes are compelling, but the scattered narrative makes it hard to get invested. We're about a third of the way into the game from what I can tell and I'm pretty sure I won't play it again.

Beyond: Two Souls - We waffled on this one years ago. This month it's a PS Plus game, so since it costs us nothing on top of what we're already paying to play PS4 online, Julie wanted to give it a go.

It's okay. Some of the individual scenes are compelling, but the scattered narrative makes it hard to get invested. We're about a third of the way into the game from what I can tell and I'm pretty sure I won't play it again.
David Cage is a guy who wants to make movies but only has enough cred to make video games... and it shows in every game he makes. He should really just make a two hour CG movie at out of his next idea.

David Cage is a guy who wants to make movies but only has enough cred to make video games... and it shows in every game he makes. He should really just make a two hour CG movie at out of his next idea.
I feel like even then it'd be difficult to get invested. He can write solid scenes and get solid performances, but he can't sew those scenes together into a solid narrative. Maybe he'd be better just doing short films, like that tech demo from years ago that spawned Detroit: Become Human. Or do the cutscenes for other people's games.

Sadly, this is more of a what am I not playing anymore post. OpenTTD. I's done. I've been playing this game off and on for over a decade now, and the pathing logic has finally just become unplayable, and I'm sick of being blamed for dev mistakes whenever I mention how bad it is. For example - I play mainly train heavy games - when all of your trains try to use the same two depots for an upgrade, and all 31 of them get stuck in a permanent loop.

OpenTTD layout.png

In the picture above is an example of one of my last games' lines. The red line on the right is for heavy manufacturing goods. The trains that run on that track have a max speed of 80mph. None of them have orders that include any track other than the red track. They go generally north/south on an industrial line that no passenger trains ever enter. The blue lines on the left are passenger trains to and from a number of small towns at the top and bottom, and two big cities to the mid-left. The trains that run on the blue lines have a max speed of 100mph. None of them have orders that ever send them on any of the green or red track. The trains that do run on the green track are goods trains (manufacturing leads to goods which are transported to large cities, usually). These trains are the only ones that have orders to go from red to blue, using the green track. They have a max speed of 100mph and multiple locos to get them there so that they don't slow down my passenger lines.

One of the features in the game is "send all vehicles for maintenance" or "replace all vehicles." These allow you to send all of your vehicles to what is supposed to be the nearest available depot. Replace all vehicles is what you use when you want to upgrade from, say, slow trains to fast trains - or from prop planes to jets. Here's the problem.
OpenTTD bug.png

When I send trains for maintenance or an upgrade on this map, all of the trains go to those two depots in the gray box. All of them. There are four trains that have orders to use that track. There are depots at the termini of every line. All of the trains go to the middle, wait in line as one train at a time enters the depot, it takes so long that by the time most of them have left, they need maintenance again, so they go to the other depot in the gray box, and they just go in circles until I either run out of money and go bankrupt because nothing is being delivered, or the signaling gets too backed up and the game crashes. It wasn't like that until version 1.6, and they certainly haven't made any improvements in 1.8. So, since the only way to make the game challenging enough to be fun is to build massive rail networks, and since the pathing is irreparably broken - I guess I'm finally out.

"Finished" God of War last night, still some side quests to finish and most of the corrupted Valkeries to release.

From a strictly gameplay standpoint the final fight vs Baldur with Freya controlling the corpse of that giant was a massive scale battle you'd expect out of any God of War.

But while that's the final fight, it's hardly the end.

Having a game in a series like this end without a major confrontation but instead close out on a rather reserved yet emotionally charged scattering of ashes feels incredibly daring. As Kratos and "Atreyus" descend the Jotunheim peak and discuss the newly gained information regarding the boy's lineage with the credits slowly fading in and out I initially felt burned but the more I reflect back, this was absolutely the right way to close this game out. It wouldn't have worked in any other GoW before this but it fit the stories themes of growth, of Kratos becoming and being a better man to a T.

Then you've got the stinger when you arrive back home of Thor arriving, Fimbulwinter raging on and Ragnorok imminent ensuring this is just the beginning.

I was never hugely invested in the franchise prior to this but now I can't wait to keep this story moving.

Last edited:
"Finished" God of War last night, still some side quests to finish and most of the corrupted Valkeries to release.

From a strictly gameplay standpoint the final fight vs Baldur with Freya controlling the corpse of that giant was a massive scale battle you'd expect out of any God of War.

But while that's the final fight, it's hardly the end.

Having a game in a series like this end without a major confrontation but instead close out on a rather reserved yet emotionally charged scattering of ashes feels oncredibly daring. As Kratos and "Atreyus" descend the Jotunheim peak and discuss the newly gained information regarding the boy's lineage with the credits slowly fading in and out I initially felt burned but the more I reflect back, this was absolutely the right way to close this game out. It wouldn't have worked in any other GoW before this but it fit the stories themes of growth, of Kratos becoming and being a better man to a T.

Then you've got the stinger when you arrive back home of Thor arriving, Fimbulwinter raging on and Ragnorok imminent ensuring this is just the beginning.

I was never hugely invested in the franchise prior to this but now I can't wait to keep this story moving.
Not to mention the mural that made it clear that not only are the Norse gods still around, but the Celtic, Egyptian, and Aztec/Mayan ones as well. It's going to be a rough few years for Kratos and his son.

Reactions: Far
Beyond: Two Souls - I'm soooo bored, but we're (I think) halfway through the game and Julie wants to see what happens and doesn't feel she can play as Aiden since his controls are weird.

The only lesson David Cage learned from Indigo Prophecy was "don't run out of time/money" when he should've learned "not every idea is a good one."

Beyond: Two Souls - I'm soooo bored, but we're (I think) halfway through the game and Julie wants to see what happens and doesn't feel she can play as Aiden since his controls are weird.

The only lesson David Cage learned from Indigo Prophecy was "don't run out of time/money" when he should've learned "not every idea is a good one."
I honestly feel like Until Dawn is a better version of what David Cage wishes he could make. Hidden Agenda (by the Until Dawn folks) is pretty neat too.

I honestly feel like Until Dawn is a better version of what David Cage wishes he could make. Hidden Agenda (by the Until Dawn folks) is pretty neat too.
Until Dawn did manage to blend a bunch of different things and still come out coherent on the other side, probably because all those elements still fell under the same overall genre.

Cage can't seem to decide what he wants to do, so he does everything. Heavy Rain managed to stay grounded, but that success only gave him the chance to do another Indigo Prophecy. It's not quite as batshit yet, but glancing at what's to come ... it's getting there. I did convince Julie to try playing more for herself, so she's going to give it a go tomorrow. I just really don't care to see the finale of Beyond: Two Souls.

Refers specifically to halflings, goblins, and Ogres (who are not themselves stunty, but half the team is made up of snotlings), which are the three weakest teams in the game.
so basically you are the best underpowered teams player in the world?

I know Persona 4 is 7 or so years old now, but damn the way they represent two of the characters is soooo problematic.

A Monster Hunter post! Because someone must have been missing them, right??

Lol. Seriously though, I got all caught up in getting ready for the art show and didn’t get to play for a while. I logged back in tonight and the weekly bounties were too gross, so I decided to keep working on completing all the optional side quests. I read online somewhere that if you catch a high rank version of every monster, fully research at least 15 monsters and complete every optional side quest from levels 1-8 that a new optional side quest becomes available. With the reward of Rainbow Armour Dye!!

I finally completed the side quests tonight and I got the dye quest. In the Special Arena, I had to kill the high rank versions of Legiana, Odogaron, Diablos and Rathalos in 25 minutes. That timer was gross!

I got it done and in the rewards there was a special ticket. In addition to the dye, the quest allows you to make a set of armour that’s ok and three really amazing charms. Or maybe two really amazing charms and one ok one.

Gale Charm

Affinity sliding
Airborne

Wyrmslayer Charm

Elderseal Boost
Dragon Attack

Bulwark Charm

Guard Up
Resuscitate

Either one of the last two could be very helpful for trying to complete the level 100 triple tempered Dragon quest.

The good news is that there was more than dye as a reward for all that!!

The bad news is that if I want more than one, I need to do that quest more than once.

Last edited:
It does play heavily into what happened in the third act of PoE 1. But a quick read of a wikipedia or something like that could bring you up to speed.
I decided to just reply POE 1. It's 3.0 now, so apparently its way different than when I played it. Plus there were no expansions out at the time. So I picked up POE 1 + WM 1 +II and POE II. I

Julie finished Beyond: Two Souls. Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe lend a lot of passion to different scenes, and there were many compelling moments even if the whole of the thing was kinda weak. A lot of people were doing their jobs to make that scene in the field near the end work to be both touching and ominous.

That said, I wonder if David Cage hates Stranger Things for doing a lot of the same tropes way, way better.

Oooh. Tell me about this expansion, please.

Also, I guess that I need to get off my butt and finish the level 100 quest before the expansion happens, right?
I don't know? All we know is that Capcom wants to add a bunch more monsters, including 10 more Elder Dragons, and likely each of three expansions will be a way of introducing the three more areas they want to add to the game. But there's no telling when they'll be released or what they'll be demanding of the players. I'm guessing we'll get the first one sometime in summer, but we may not know anything until a couple weeks before it comes out. Capcom seems to like doing that for Monster Hunter World.

I started Witcher 3 over a year ago when renting it, realized it was not a game I could reasonably just rent, and so stopped with plans to return to it eventually. Last month, a sale on PSN got me the complete edition for less than a month's sub to Gamefly, and I started over tonight.

Buuuuut first we decided to do what we should've done last time and we watched a recap of Witcher 2. That was good, because now I understand more of what's happening and why people are so miserable at the beginning of Witcher 3. Didn't get too far, but I'm taking to the game a little better this time now that it doesn't have to compete for my time with other games.

One issue though: I found myself getting sleepy, just like with Breath of the Wild. This hasn't been happening for playing Rayman Legends, and while I was bored with Beyond: Two Souls it didn't make me drowsy, so I'm wondering if it's something with me and open world games? The moment I stop playing, I'm wide awake again. I was able to keep going with Witcher 3 (with Breath of the Wild, I've genuinely passed out with the Wiipad fallen beside me), but it's aggravating.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

This goes firmly in the "meh" pile. It's not terrible, but it's not very good, either. I played through to the first mission and was honestly just bored by the dull duck and cover shooting and squad gameplay.

And then uninstalled it.

Welp, I got my money's worth out of that.
(Note: I got it for free via Humble Bundle)

figmentPez

Staff member
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

This goes firmly in the "meh" pile. It's not terrible, but it's not very good, either. I played through to the first mission and was honestly just bored by the dull duck and cover shooting and squad gameplay.

And then uninstalled it.

Welp, I got my money's worth out of that.
(Note: I got it for free via Humble Bundle)
It gets more interesting when you've got a bunch of abilities to use, but it still never gets above mediocre. You're not missing anything by uninstalling. The story is really by the numbers, even if I do think it has good voice acting.

It gets more interesting when you've got a bunch of abilities to use, but it still never gets above mediocre. You're not missing anything by uninstalling. The story is really by the numbers, even if I do think it has good voice acting.
Even the voice acting was very meh to me. It's serviceable.

One issue though: I found myself getting sleepy, just like with Breath of the Wild. This hasn't been happening for playing Rayman Legends, and while I was bored with Beyond: Two Souls it didn't make me drowsy, so I'm wondering if it's something with me and open world games? The moment I stop playing, I'm wide awake again. I was able to keep going with Witcher 3 (with Breath of the Wild, I've genuinely passed out with the Wiipad fallen beside me), but it's aggravating.
I get that same reaction when I play MMOs. It is not that they bore me or anything, but I will instantly get drowsy once I boot up an MMO.
Might be something that has been conditioned? I do remember many many sleepless nights playing MMOs, fueled by coffee and energy drinks.