What are you playing?

Psychonauts

I saw a random comment how you can use Clairvoyance on ANY character, not just within the Milkman's level. And it shows what each character thinks of you. I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS POSSIBLE.

It got me curious enough to reinstall and replay the game...and like any great game, it's sucked me back in.
Heh, this reminds of when I played Golden Sun on the GBA and got the Mind Read power. I went around reading everyone's mind. Their reactions ranged from "I'm hungry" to "Why is this guy standing so close and staring at me?" to "Stop reading my mind. Yes, I know what you're doing."

Denbrought

The Last Dancelord
Heh, this reminds of when I played Golden Sun on the GBA and got the Mind Read power. I went around reading everyone's mind. Their reactions ranged from "I'm hungry" to "Why is this guy standing so close and staring at me?" to "Stop reading my mind. Yes, I know what you're doing."
Mind Read added so much to the Golden Sun games. On the second one you start with it, it's wonderful.

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
They've toned down just how much friendly fire there is. While there's a lot of nudging, we don't stall each other up as much as before unless it's a direct hit, shot, or an upswing that sends a player soaring.

That said, PS Plus is $50 is a year (I think). It's worth it at my house because both my wife and I play multiple online games on the PS4, so there's never a time where it'll be wasted, but I'd be hesitant for just one game unless it was really important to me.
Once I’m in high rank and not a total train wreck, I’ll look into it. It could be fun.

I’d be mortified for anyone to hear me play though. The things I say to the poor monsters when they run from me and I’m having trouble fInding them....like that *&#@!! stupid electric tree squirrel.

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
I broke out Gnomoria for the first time in years today. Streamed myself playing it. Six. Hours. And what blows my mind is I had at least 1 viewer for 90% of the broadcast.

Nobody was streaming Gnomoria but me, and I guess this guy really wanted to watch somebody play Gnomoria.

Zero Esc

Halforums Asshole Assessment Division
Once I’m in high rank and not a total train wreck, I’ll look into it. It could be fun.

I’d be mortified for anyone to hear me play though. The things I say to the poor monsters when they run from me and I’m having trouble fInding them....like that *&#@!! stupid electric tree squirrel.
You can turn off voice chat :p. That's what I did. Got by without it on the 3DS and so far there hasn't been a situation when I felt the need to turn it on.

figmentPez

Cosplay Czar
Staff member
Evoland 2 the first game was a relatively short parody of console RPGs, and focused more on jokes and references than it did on story or gameplay, but it worked at what it was doing. This sequel has expanded it's scope, and is not only trying for more of a story, but has tossed in other types of games as well. Thus far I've run into: Professor Layton type puzzles, a fighting game, a vertically scrolling shoot-em-up, 2D platforming (complete with disappearing-reappearing platforms and insta-death spikes), and a Canabalt/endless-runner type segment. That's in addition to the Zelda-esque combat, dungeons, talking to NPCs, fetch quests, collectible card game, etc. that come with the RPG-ish structure of the game.

So far, I really cannot recommend it. The writing sucks, none of the gameplay types are especially well done, and some of the portions are outright bad. 2D platforming with insta-death spikes has no place in an RPG. Even with the checkpoints, it's an exercise in frustration. The controls are just too sluggish and imprecise to make the platforming feel rewarding.

The first game wasn't great, but it was fun. It was an enjoyable joke about all the features that have come and gone from console RPGs over the years. The combat wasn't anything to write home about, but it didn't get in the way of things, either. This game isn't that at all. It has all these other game types thrown in, but they're just there. Aside from a joke about how a character hopes that they don't end up in an FPS, there's not any commentary or jokes about those game types. The first game barely had a 4th wall; at one point you open a chest that contains a village with NPCs. Evoland 2 just makes references while still mostly pretending that the 4th wall is still there, and in doing so has completely lost what made the first game interesting.
Continued playing because I'm stubborn like that, and I liked the first enough to give the second a chance to redeem itself. It hasn't, but at least more of the sections have felt competent.

I've now come across sections inspired by: Double Dragon (surprisingly fun), Chrono Trigger (extremely tedious), Puzzle Quest (good, but a really shallow copy), Bomberman (terrible), Fire Emblem (not sure yet) and a few little mini-game versions of Pong, Snake, Pac-Man, and Space Invaders. All that and more 2D platforming with insta-death spikes! *sigh* Oh, and I forgot about the stealth section earlier. (On the plus side, there hasn't been a sportsball section yet!)

This game loves other games, and referencing other games, but it doesn't understand other games. It's CCG section doesn't let you deck-build. So you're eternally stuck with the crappy starter cards, which throws a lot more luck into battles than their should be. The Bomberman section frequently had fights with enemies in open areas, which ruins the strategy of bombing.

Also, the writing continues to be derivative crap. Just like the copy-paste of other games, this feels like someone copied everything from other RPGs, but without understanding it. The characters are obnoxious. I with the game had help menus and pop-ups explaining the game mechanics as explicitly as the characters telegraph every bit of the plot.

There are good things I can say about it. The art is good. The characters are recognizable across the various 2D and 3D styles the game uses for different time periods, and the world looks good as well. The music is competent. And some of the gameplay is pretty good (but not good enough to make up for the terrible sections).

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
Pikachu is a mouse, not a squirrel. This is obviously Pachirisu

Aww. I wish it was this little guy. He’s so cute. No, it’s a mangy, bastard that jumps on my head from the trees. I’ve destroyed him enough now that my cat is wearing a very cute puffy coat now :)

I just need Anjanoth to cooperate and drop some more teeth and a plate. I’ve certainly bashed his skull in enough times. My daughter even called me savage lol.

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
I’m just over 20 minutes which is so much better than my first kill. My first kill was a mess. I’ve got two more fangs now and I only need two more.

I’m taking a break for a while :)[DOUBLEPOST=1518486033,1518485985][/DOUBLEPOST]It would be really fun to try sometime!!

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
Phoning Home

Picked this up on sale on Steam for 5 bucks. It's an interesting "survival exploration" game. There's no base building, but you gather resources while you also try to achieve objectives to advance the plot of the game. You are an explorer robot named "ION" whose ship crashes on a world where the laws of physics don't seem to work quite right. Under your ship's CPU's guidance, you must gather resources and figure out a way to call for help.

As you explore the planet, you discover unsettling things, like evidence of past habitation by an alien race that has apparently died out, swarms of tiny creatures that tumble through the air intent on breaking you down for molecular parts, and gigantic behemoth creatures that cannot seem to abide your presence.

The pace of the game is much more "contemplative" than most, and it serves as an interesting change of pace. There were some steam reviewers who criticized it for the waypoints being hard to follow or dying when they ran out of resources and having to start over, but having played a great deal of it tonight, I can say they just needed to git gud, because while it was moderately challenging, it was not worth a thumbs down. Definitely worth picking up on sale.

fade

Now with 14% more raisins
Staff member
Doom 3

Man, this game looks pretty dated for something that came out in 2005. I know that's 13 years ago, but I've got plenty of games that old that still look good. In particular, the human faces seem to suffer from, "let's not hire an artist, Programmer Bill can kind of draw" like a lot of old school games. It also varies between really easy and holy crap there are 47 enemies spawning around me on all sides!! Still, it's good and creepy. Especially with headphones.

PatrThom

Genuinely Curious
I've been meaning to get around to that one... glad to hear it's good.
From what I’ve seen, it’s replayable, with some neat challenges (especially the pacifist one!), but it does require some skill, it’s not all just “know the answer,” there’s a lot of “...and now you have to pull it off.”

—Patrick

Last edited:

Far

Formerly Dr.McNinja
Holy shit. For MHW, I knew you could do armor sets but I didn't realize you could do item sets and re-organize the quick slot bar in the bottom right.

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
My only disappointment in the game is that we can’t play co-op on the same screen with characters created by users on our same PS4.

Back on MH3U, we could play local co-op so I was hoping that we could here too.

Zero Esc

I don't feel like grinding during the work week, and I have enough Monster Hunter experience to get by in a clown suit of equipment, but the fifth area looks like it's going to be a challenge. And that's without having seen the Elder Dragons still to come.

Far

Formerly Dr.McNinja
Have you had the Left Quite the Impression quest show up after they first intro you to it? I need Zorah stuff but have only seen it that first time.

Zero Esc

Have you had the Left Quite the Impression quest show up after they first intro you to it? I need Zorah stuff but have only seen it that first time.
Yeah, it's there, I just don't know how much I feel like doing that quest again. It feels like a low-participation slog, like Jhen Mohran in Monster Hunter 4. There are spectacle quests I like (Dalamadur), but not those.

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
I beat Pink Rathian on the first try, but I still hated it.
I know the two games aren’t similar, but I loved her in MH Stories. She was my favourote and my little rider wore her armour forever.

I was really hoping that she would be in this game so her armour would be as well.

I just did her non-pink version the other night. I got a very surprising first time victory. Based on when I got the quest, I expected her to be relatively easy. Wrong! I found her much harder than the Anjanath(who I got the quest for much later) but then I’ve killed him so many times now that maybe that’s no longer fair to say.

Zero Esc

I know the two games aren’t similar, but I loved her in MH Stories. She was my favourote and my little rider wore her armour forever.

I was really hoping that she would be in this game so her armour would be as well.

I just did her non-pink version the other night. I got a very surprising first time victory. Based on when I got the quest, I expected her to be relatively easy. Wrong! I found her much harder than the Anjanath(who I got the quest for much later) but then I’ve killed him so many times now that maybe that’s no longer fair to say.
I don't hate her out of her being a palette swap, but the Pink Rathian is always way more aggressive, and tends to start zipping back and forth on the map. I used to be a Great Sword main, which meant the less a monster held still, the more trouble I had. Since I'm a Switch Axe main now, it was easier to snipe in a couple hits even with the monster charging all over the place, but still.

Far

Formerly Dr.McNinja
Funny. I asked about that mission cause I had done so many side missions without seeing it again, I hit the 50 optional mission achievment last night, then 5 minutes after I asked it showed up again. I don't want to grind either but I'm working on upgrading it's weapon.