What are you playing?

Post your thoughts after you play it.
Early impressions because I had to charge my controllers apparently when I got home so didn't have a lot of time to play.

jrqQx.gif

I'm on the 7th level and I don't think I'd change a thing. Controls are tight, level design is beautiful and sprawling without leaving you feeling lost. Boss fights are a treasure, particularly
MEAN BEAN MACHINE!
. The new stuff meshes so well with the old. If I didn't have the old burned into my skull from years of replaying I wouldn't be able to tell that it was new. AND THE MUSIC!

It's sad it took this long to get Sonic back to feeling like Sonic, and that it had to start as a fan game to do it, but I'm glad they could show you can still make fantastic games with the guy.

Last edited:
Kathy Rain

Got this on sale or in a bundle some time ago. I was in the mood for a less actiony game last night, so decided to load this up. Wound up finishing it one long sitting.

The game heavily wears its inspirations on its sleeve. In this case, largely Gabriel Knight. Most of the puzzles aren't difficult for an old adventure gamer like me, but some were really confusing that I needed to refer to an FAQ. Like a combination lock requiring you to look through a math textbook.

Honestly, I liked the earlier portion more than the later part. Supernatural elements are introduced and they jyst didn't work for me. I like the small town mystery that was being built up. I hadn't read much on the game, so I didn't even know there were supernatural elements. I was disappointed when it WASN'T a straight small-town murder mystery. It didn't help that the supernatural stuff didn't make sense and not much was explained. The later part of the game felt rushed, which character reveals coming out of nowhere.

Still, it's a great looking adventure game with solid voice acting. I imagine it helped that Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye Games was the voice director. I'd recommend getting it on a discount if you like adventure games.

Early impressions because I had to charge my controllers apparently when I got home so didn't have a lot of time to play.

View attachment 25372

I'm on the 7th level and I don't think I'd change a thing. Controls are tight, level design is beautiful and sprawling without leaving you feeling lost. Boss fights are a treasure, particularly
MEAN BEAN MACHINE!
. The new stuff meshes so well with the old. If I didn't have the old burned into my skull from years of replaying I wouldn't be able to tell that it was new. AND THE MUSIC!

It's sad it took this long to get Sonic back to feeling like Sonic, and that it had to start as a fan game to do it, but I'm glad they could show you can still make fantastic games with the guy.
You might enjoy this little history of the game.

Reactions: Far
I was camping all weekend, so I need to squeeze three days of the Sun and Moon No Holds Barred Tournament into one lol!!

Time for my team of shiny babies to dominate!!

Or more likely, time for my team of shiny babies to get clobbered by kids half my age. I still get the participation prize either way :)

Subnautica received another update recently, so I've been diving back into Planet 4546b.

The main storyline is almost complete now, with only the final ending left to be implemented. (As I understand it, the devs won't be adding the actual ending to the game until the official v1.0 release, because they don't want Youtube videos of the ending to be floating around before the game's even released) There are some graphical and interface improvements that look pretty slick, which is nice. Some areas got an overhaul, for example the Lost River now has an extra tunnel leading to it, which is actually a great place to build an outpost for the deeper biomes. The Cyclops submarine also got buffed so it's not quite as big a pain to use as it was before. Oh, and there's been some optimization work done, so the game runs better now. Still not great, but better.

And yes, there's a new leviathan out there, and it is awesome.

On the other hand, a lot of the old bugs still haven't been fixed yet (such as depth module upgrades losing their effectiveness when you load a game, fragment scan progress not being tracked correctly, flora and fauna still clip through bases and terrain like crazy, warp gates will make your pings disappear, etc). I hope the devs go on a massive bughunt before the official release in October, because we're approaching the finish line now, and a lot of these bugs have been in the game for months and months, with no sign of getting fixed.

Still though, this is still a really fun and immersive game, and remains very enjoyable to play.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Shadow Warrior (2013) and it's pretty good. Not amazing, but solid. The weapons feel good, and combat is pretty fluid. The visual style leans a little too much to glowly/blurry for my tastes, but it doesn't ruin the game.

I pretty much broke even on the tournament. I thought it was a doubles one, so I prepared for that and then was pretty shocked when I logged in and it was a singles one :(

Okay, now I'm near the end of Persona 5. I pushed to get through stuff today, thinking I was closer than I was, but really there's a bit left.

I just want to say that I don't think I've screwed up social links so bad in one of these before. I only got two of my party members to MAX, one of them being story obligatory. I got a few other links that high, but they weren't party members, so only two characters have their second persona. Some party members never even got all their helper abilities. I spent way too much energy focused on getting my social stat start filled out, and failed to finish that, too. And I kinda want to play again just to do that stuff better, but at the same time some of the dungeons were so annoying that it doesn't feel worth it, even though I've been enjoying the story. Just wish I'd planned things out a bit better once we got done with the first palace.

Okay, now I'm near the end of Persona 5. I pushed to get through stuff today, thinking I was closer than I was, but really there's a bit left.

I just want to say that I don't think I've screwed up social links so bad in one of these before. I only got two of my party members to MAX, one of them being story obligatory. I got a few other links that high, but they weren't party members, so only two characters have their second persona. Some party members never even got all their helper abilities. I spent way too much energy focused on getting my social stat start filled out, and failed to finish that, too. And I kinda want to play again just to do that stuff better, but at the same time some of the dungeons were so annoying that it doesn't feel worth it, even though I've been enjoying the story. Just wish I'd planned things out a bit better once we got done with the first palace.
What do you think about all the bosses, especially comparing them with previous games?

For me the bosses in persona 5 are less original, less "monster like"? They look boring. Except the first
Appearance then? I suppose so, since some of them were just a guy riding or controlling something else. I think the developers were focusing on making each boss symbolic of the distorted desire, which might've limited their scope.

I'm only at the start of the last area though, so there are still bosses I haven't seen yet.

Attached: why I use push to talk in ventrilo/discord/etc
For me it's because my son will just talk for 2 straight hours.
That is not hyperbole. He has seriously just talked (about Minecraft, cartoons, Lego, etc) for > 120+ straight minutes with only brief breaks to get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc...and you'll hear him babbling while he's on the throne, too.

Seriously, I think the only way to shut him up would be to hand him a microphone and tell him he has to talk.

--Patrick

Final Fantasy IV

For reasons I've never been able to explain, my favourite part of this game is when Cecil becomes a paladin. It's a great character moment. I also think it's hilarious he starts all the way back at level 1, so the first few battles are "Cecil gains a level! Cecil gains a level! Cecil gains a level!" That never fails to amuse me.

Also, people always talk about Aeries death in Final Fantasy VII as the saddest thing in the series or all of video games.

They don't know what real sadness is.
FF Saddest Death.jpg

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
All the Creator's Club ballyhoo had me go check my Skyrim to see what the damage was, and after discovering there was none to speak of (CC only applies to Skyrim Special Edition, apparently, not Skyrim classic), I made the mistake up updating the Nexus Mod Manager. Apparently there was a change in the file structure or something, and though it CLAIMED it could migrate all 70-someodd of my mods to the new structure, it fucked up. Boom, all my saves were unloadable again >_< Not only that, but mods that claim to not be loaded by the mod manager are, in fact, still being loaded.

In the process of getting everything weeded out and functioning again, I also added the Live Another Life alternate start mod, and shooooop now I'm sucked back in again and Nording up the countryside.

I am not streaming it, however, because of nude and jiggly reasons. Also NMM screwed up my uninstallation of... certain other mods, so now every time I take the armor off a dead guy, I get to see a raging priapism the size of a 40 oz thermos.

GasBandit

Staff member
The thing about playing Skyrim with mods, especially sketchier mods, especially sketchier mods that require SKSE, is that it isn't for the faint of heart. You play knowing any given time you save and exit, you might not be getting back into that save again. Skyrim is notoriously crash-happy about mods because it's really just the same engine they used for past TES games, modified slightly and then stuffed to the breaking point with content/scripts. So there's not a lot of wiggle room in there - and if your mods are exceedingly complex or sloppily scripted, it can crash the game. Worse, arguably, is that Skyrim's error handling is much more prone to ignoring errors during play than it is while loading a save. So, you can potentially be playing along just fine, save the game, exit, come right back in and find that save refuses to load. Then it's a game of "how many saves back do I have to go before I find one that will load."

I've found, though, that often you can rescue your save by re-running FNIS (Fores' New Idles in Skyrim, the mod with its own executable that is in charge of handling new/altered animation content), and most of the time, that'll do the trick. Most of the time. But you still save often, just in case you have to step your way backwards to a non-crash save.

All the Creator's Club ballyhoo had me go check my Skyrim to see what the damage was, and after discovering there was none to speak of (CC only applies to Skyrim Special Edition, apparently, not Skyrim classic), I made the mistake up updating the Nexus Mod Manager. Apparently there was a change in the file structure or something, and though it CLAIMED it could migrate all 70-someodd of my mods to the new structure, it fucked up. Boom, all my saves were unloadable again >_< Not only that, but mods that claim to not be loaded by the mod manager are, in fact, still being loaded.

In the process of getting everything weeded out and functioning again, I also added the Live Another Life alternate start mod, and shooooop now I'm sucked back in again and Nording up the countryside.

I am not streaming it, however, because of nude and jiggly reasons. Also NMM screwed up my uninstallation of... certain other mods, so now every time I take the armor off a dead guy, I get to see a raging priapism the size of a 40 oz thermos.
They're just happy they got to meat the Dragonborn.

I know nobody cares but me, but Blood Bowl 2 Legendary Edition, which for the first time adds in all of the tabletop content to become the first feature complete digital version (that isn't fumbbl) released today, and I am excited

...All? As in, I'll be able to play a full Khemri vs Undead vs Werewolves vs Necromantic vs Vampire league? I might actually be interested :D