1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Games & More' started by Roxxoredizorz, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Denbrought

Denbrought The Last Dancelord

Books:
    Geneforge 1 has aged pretty damn well. Good story and combat mechanics, little to no hand-holding.

I hope Jeff eventually remakes this series, though. Visiting Sucia with Avadon's engine/graphics (or whatever he uses for the next game series) would be swell.

2. Frank

Frank Mediocre, eh?

Books:
    Really digging Expeditions: Viking.

Thanks for the rec @Jay

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jay

Jay I'm Jay and I feel you're... OK.

Books:
    Happy to hear, it's worth every penny. I plan to play to polar opposite once I'm done playing a few games (probably in the Fall).

4. fade

fade Insert "Yo mama" joke here Staff Member

Books:
    Fallout New Vegas

Game contains odd story feature that causes player's stats to become suddenly irrelevant, and for a white rectangle to suddenly appear before the character's eyes reading "FalloutNV.exe has stopped working". Feature seems to occur at random, and I cannot see the story benefit. Apparently I'm supposed to wait for an NPC named Windows to search for a solution, but he never finds it. I'm guessing this is a boss NPC. Can anyone give me any tips on how to defeat it?

(using the anti-crash mod does not help. Well I don't know. Maybe it is, and if it is, that's just sad.)

5. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    That's odd, I never had problems with NV crashing at all, even on windows 7. And I didn't even use the anti-crash mod, didn't even know it existed. I assume you've done all the usual "compatibility mode/additional permissions" things? Just a wild thought, too, have you tried creating a steam folder that isn't in program files, and moving the game there?

6. fade

Books:
    Well in this case, I know I'm far from alone. There are many posts on the internet about how buggy and crash prone the game is.

7. AshburnerX

AshburnerX Resident Boo Radley

Books:
    Are you just using the anti-crash mod? Are you also using the unofficial patch mod?

8. Squidleybits

Squidleybits Pika Pika Choo Choo!

Books:
    Playing/being confused by Poke Bank. Maybe I should grow up and play adult games lol.

9. Jay

Books:
    I assume you didn't buy the game at release like I did. ;)

10. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Shit, I didn't play it until last year :D

11. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    I did, and like anything made by Bethesda and filtered through obsidian, it was a broken mess. You haven't seen madness until you've seen a dog's eyes just float away...

Still the best 3D fallout, though

12. fade

Books:
    So Fallout: NV is crashing still, but not terribly often anymore. Like maybe once an hour, and I never lose anything. In any case, this is my second play. I played it originally on the PS3, though. My favorite bit of the game so far is Best Friend Tabitha. I don't recall ever triggering Black Mountain Radio the first time through.

13. Jay

Books:
    Opening night, VARS was broken as fuck, everything was 0%. Broken mess that crashed hard.

Very enjoyable once it was fixed though, even though engine is still goofy.

14. ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy Author. Cyclist. Yogi. Goofball.

Books:
    Doom (2016)

Finally got to play this for the first time with the free weekend on Steam. And...meh? I don't know what I expected, but it's kind of ho-hum, honestly. Boring environment, confusing level layouts, stilted and slower-paced combat than I expected, and the executions get old fast.

Kinda glad I never bought this.

15. Zero Esc

Zero Esc Halforums Asshole Assessment Division

Books:
    I was pretty meh on it too. I enjoyed it for the first hour, and I could see why people were happy it was a back-to-basics type of action game. Then it just kept repeating that same hour or so of gameplay. Enter a room, doors lock, kill everything in that room, doors unlock, solve some puzzles, minimal storytelling. Some of that sounds like old Doom. What it better resembles is Metroid Prime, a series where combat was hardly the point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terrik

Terrik Protector of Kittehs

Books:
    Huh. I had the total opposite reaction. Loved the whole game.

17. figmentPez

figmentPez Cosplay Czar Staff Member

Books:
    I was glad I got to try it first hand, but the most enjoyment I got was briefly checking out it's Steam community forum, to see if it was supposed to be just a 2-level demo, or if I'd messed up somehow and wasn't getting the proper free weekend.

Anyway, a summary of the funniest bits:

"You're whining about getting something for free? Name one game that's had an entire free weekend."
    "Saints Row 4"
    "But that's an open world game, not an FPS. It doesn't have missions or anything."

"Eh, $15 is kinda expensive when I'm not interested in the multiplayer, I'll wait until it's 75%-off."
    "It is 75% off, you idiot. Don't forget that this game is a AAA FPS and it started at $60. No AAA FPS has ever sold for $5"

I spared you the awful spelling, grammar, and lack of punctuation or capitalization. The thread went on for 30 pages. I couldn't make it past 3.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    You got to shoot things.

--Patrick