What are you playing?

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Wife bought this for me for our anniversary. It is really good. It's one of those games that I lose track of time playing. I was going to stop playing last night at 8:30 as my eyes were getting tired. I finally quit sometime around 11. It is also a game that my wife really enjoys as well. They are generally not very good with games that require moving both sticks and using multiple buttons simultaneously, but this game is so intuitively laid out and explained that they were able to play it for a long time without getting frustrated by the controls (which was the reason they stopped playing Skyrim altogether after completing the main questline).
How many wives do you have?

Been playing Rebel Space, decent space sim with a western theme/soundtrack that I did. Combat is decent but man is the content a little thin. Got repetitive fast.

7th of Jugust - Kags tries to go on another alcohol bender. Exasperated, Gas walls off the storage room where the beer is kept.
8th of jugust - Sappers arrive in the early morning to breach the wall. Injuries among the defenders are manageable, and the pirates are driven off after 7 are downed.
They really wanted that beer, huh?

GasBandit

Staff member
GUESS WHAT I DID ALL DAY

Rimworld - Halforums Edition

9 Sept, 5504 - Dei's pet alpaca, Willow, miscarries due to her injuries.
12 Sept - a bionic arm and a replacement heart are purchased from an exotic goods merchant. Most of the muffalo herd is traded to pay for them. Surgery is immediate and simultaneous, and both procedures go smoothly. Gasbandit now has a bionic right arm, and Null has a new heart.
Pictured: Synchronised surgering

2 Dec - A pair of stray labrador retrievers wander in and decide join.
5 Dec - Emrys accepts Gas' marriage proposal
8 Dec - Gasbandit gets the first manufactured suit of power armor. That night 13 pirates attack. They ambush a departing caravan instead. 2 caravan survivors are rescued.
Pictured: Also, I noticed this pirate is 75 years old and armed only with the shittiest knife possible. Granny Lupa pissed somebody off

4 Jugust 5505 - One of the labrador retrievers that joined gives birth to 3 puppes! Two girls and a boy.
8 Jugust - A casual slight by Dei drives Dave into a rage, and a fistfight breaks out. Dei gets the worst of it, but is able to walk away under her own power at least. As Dave is wearing armor, he is not harmed at all.
Pictured: Dei vs Dave in the rec room

9 Jugust - An escape pod falls, contains a male occupant who doesn't elect to stay. Celt Z tires of being Terrik's lover and dumps him. Terrik is extremely butthurt.
10 Jugust - Another poison ship section. Taken out with turrets mostly. Gasbandit is wounded in the leg but not seriously.
13 Jugust - Apparently the puppies have been getting into the beer. They now have alcohol addictions. So tragic on SO many levels. Their freedom is curtailed and they are limited to the kitchen, so as to keep them out of trouble.
6 Septober - Despite sequestering the puppies from the alcohol, one of them came down with cirrhosis. Dog livers are even harder to come by than human livers, unfortunately.
10 Septober - Another ancient toxic ship section falls out of orbit, but this one is also emanating psychic attacks, slowly attempting to drive everyone berserk. Unfortunately, it crashed too far away for turrets to be a viable option, as getting power to the turrets would be a ridiculous undertaking. Instead, GasBandit directs the construction and manning of three mortar emplacements, which begin to bombard the vessel. Sure enough, when the ship cracks open, four Scyther mechanoids and a Caterpillar emerge. Thankfully, they trickle right into the entrance killbox. Good salvage.
2 Dec - During a cold snap, food becomes so scarce a red fox comes all the way into the compound breezeway and attacks Dei. Needless to say it quickly dies when 3 people around her shoot it. Also, it's Dirona's 46th birthday! She gains the stat: Bad Back.

As the community becomes more stable and well defended, noteworthy events become fewer and further between. Not mentioned were several of Kags' drinking binges, various crop failures, et cetera.

Here is a map of the compound as it stands coming up on the end of year 5. This is not the whole playing field, just the part I've walled in. Taken at night so everybody was in their beds, so their name tags would show whose room is whose.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have a great deal more survivability in Gas's games than any games I actually play.
And now that you're suited up in power armor and have a charge rifle, just like Gas, Terrik, Pat, and Dave (though Dave kept his sniper rifle instead), it'll take something rather impressive to kill you, or a phenomenal stroke of bad luck.

Of course, this game loves to do just that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I gotta admit I love these updates.
This game's schtick is that it's not just a simulation, it's a story. Which makes it pretty engrossing. It'd be kinda neat if it actually created a textual story though, which is what I kind of expected when the devs went on and on about their AI narrators and whatnot.

figmentPez

Staff member
Zhadoomalooms of Muddledurrs

Good gravy I suck at stealth. I don't know if I'm too impatient, too unaware of my surroundings, or if I'm just not very good with the controls for climbing around. Probably a combination of all three and more I'm just not getting. I can fight pretty well, and I can run away pretty well, but keeping them from sounding the alarm and causing unending masses of fights is not going so well. I'm having a great time despite, that, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
HA HA HA GUESS WHAT I SPENT ALL EVENING DOING. I have a problem.

7 Decembruary 5505 - German, the adult male Lab, is struck by lightning and badly burned.
11 Dec - A psychic wave sweeps over the area, driving every timber wolf present into a bloodthirsty rage. They unthinkingly charge into the killzone one by one. The freezer's pretty well stocked, now.
13 Dec - Emrys and Celtz come to blows in the kitchen.
3 Aprimay 5506 - Influenza sweeps the community, brought in by a trade caravan. The infirmary is much to small, and several Halforumites must stay in their own bed to recuperate.
4 Aprimay - Pirates chase a vatgrown soldier to the compound. His name is DocSeverin. Among the Pirates are Zero's Father and Dei and Kags' Mother - and they are surprisingly well equipped, with rocket launchers, charge rifles, and shield belts. They ambush yesterday's trade caravan as it leaves, and wipe it out - Zero's father dies in the fight. Gas and Pat are down with the flu, but the others man the battlements. Fortunately, the Pirates are now out of formation, and trickle into the killzone in ones and twos. Kags and Dei's mother is wounded, but the pirates flee before she would be killed. Among the Tribal caravan and the pirates, the body count is 22 dead, several wounded - but no HF casualties. Several of the bodies are collected for cremation, but DocSeverin has a bout of Pyromania and sets most of the remaining bodies on fire out in the field, and they are destroyed that way - including the body of Zero's father, for whom a gravesite was going to be put aside.
Pictured: The battle between the pirates and the luckless caravan. Note that one of the raiders is named Yoshi. I didn't do that... it did it all by itself.

9 Aprimay - Another darn red fox sneaks into the compound and kills a Cria (baby Alpaca). The Cria's mother tries to defend it, but is also wounded. Terrik arrives and guns down the predator.
Pictured: When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. The grisly scene of baby alpaca murder.

12 Aprimay - Sapper attack from the Northwest. PatrThom is badly wounded and has to be dragged to the infirmary, and his wounds become infected, keeping him in the infirmary for several days. The pirates also kill a calf and badly wound a bull.
13 Aprimay - Another band of pirates chase another desperate man to the gates. AshburnerX is taken in because he is Terrik's Grandfather. Unfortunately, due to his advancing years, he doesn't actually make it TO the gates, and is shot down outside. Ash survives and is rescued - the Pirates are wiped out almost to a man. Dei and Kags' mother is discovered among the dead. Turns out, Ash has a bad back and other medical issues that make him move very slowly. He is not good for much other than cleaning duty - and thus, AshburnerX becomes a human Roomba.
15 Aprimay - Ashburner makes a careless insult at Kags , and the two of them have a fight in the kitchen. The old man is too frail to put up a fight even to Kags, and has to be carried helpless to the infirmary. However, then Kags can't keep her mouth shut to Terrik, and Ash's grandson plays her a little chin music himself. The two pretty much can't stand each other now.
Pictured: Ash vs Kags

Pictured: Terrik vs Kags

4 Jugust - CeltZ and Zero become lovers.
6 Jugust - DocSeverin's wife visits with a weapons caravan. It's... kind of understandable why he didn't stay home I guess. She shares the "vatgrown soldier" origin with Doc, which may be where they met? At any rate, she's good in a fight, and ok at handling animals, but that's about it. She has zero social skills, medical ability, cooking, growing, mining, crafting... all zero, and she's not exactly the brightest or most creative bulb, either. Plus, she's a hypersensitive pessimist. Sounds like a real Dynamite Gal (Dynamite Gal Dynamite Gal Dynamite Gal)
Pictured: Mrs Severin - aka "Chewy."

9 Jugust - Heat Wave. Temps go over 55c. Ashburner gets a serious case of heastroke and is hospitalized.
12 Jugust - Pig 3 develops alzheimers, wanders around in a fog. I didn't know Pigs could get alzheimers.
13 Jugust - CeltZ accepts Zero's marriage proposal. That sure didn't take long...
14 Jugust - Psychic ship section crashes outside the wall. Same deal as last time - draw them in by shelling them with mortars. No injuries.
5 Septober - For some reason beyond comprehension, Null has sent Dei packing. Strange how none of the betrothals in this playthrough seem to make it all the way to marriage. I wonder if it is bugged.
10 Septober - a Cargo pod full of Agave fruit misses its landing target and crashes through the roof into Terrik's bedroom, demolishing much of what's inside. Fortunately Terrik is not in residence at the time.
15 Septober - Terrik creates a masterwork sculpture depicting the collapse of Null and Dei's relationship. Christ, what an asshole.

Last edited:
One, they fall outside of the gender binary though, so prefer the pronouns they/them instead of she/her.
I was going to throw that answer in as a possibility but then figured it wasn't my place.

Zhadoomalooms of Muddledurrs

Good gravy I suck at stealth. I don't know if I'm too impatient, too unaware of my surroundings, or if I'm just not very good with the controls for climbing around. Probably a combination of all three and more I'm just not getting. I can fight pretty well, and I can run away pretty well, but keeping them from sounding the alarm and causing unending masses of fights is not going so well. I'm having a great time despite, that, though.
Is this an actual game title or is it yet another Halforums bastardization of Shadow of Mordor? Because your summary could totally apply toShadow of Mordor.

Is this an actual game title or is it yet another Halforums bastardization of Shadow of Mordor? Because your summary could totally apply toShadow of Mordor.
I was going to say that I had to think about it a moment before I recognized it for what it was, making it one of the most effective bastardizations yet.

--Patrick

Wife is on the other side of the room finishing up Persona 4 Golden. She got the true ending and is in tears. Thanks, Atlus.

Though she's laughing too, so it's all good.

GasBandit

Staff member
So this weekend's been a total wash. I kinda needed to go to the store, too. Welp, that's what chinese delivery is for!

2 Decembruary, 5506 - Another run of the flu. It only sends 4 people to bed, this time.

6 Dec - The local ibex population is psychically compelled to attack the compound. Probably just as well, the snow was falling and the grasses were dying, they probably wouldn't have survived the winter anyway. More meat!

10 Dec - Null and Kags are now shacking up.

12 Dec - Null just never learns. A particularly biting insult aimed at Patrthom earns a beatdown.
Pictured: Somehow in the fight, Pat headbutted Null's foot for damage. Now that's being pissed off.

3 Aprimay, 5507 - Patrthom's grandson is part of a group of travellers. They stop by the compound to visit for a day, then continue on.

4 Apr - Giant insect infestation in the Quaternary storage room. Dangerous to clear out, it's full of chemfuel... an errant shot could be bad news. An overexuberant puppy named Austin tries to help clear out the bugs and is bitten to death. As the last of the fiends fall, DocSeverin suffers a mental break and starts setting the corpses on fire. The chemfuel goes up in flames, taking a large amount of supplies with it. Fortunately, no one is burned, though Dave and Pat are treated for lacerations received during combat - and Doc now has a scar over his left eye.
Pictured: Breaching the door to stop the infestation

Pictured: using the door as a chokepoint to funnel the insects into an impromptu killzone.

Pictured: Uh oh. That can't be good.

9 Apr - Zero hunts a wild Boomalope that has gotten into the crops. He is caught in the explosion, and has to spend the rest of the day in the infirmary.

13 Apr - a solar flare in the middle of a heat wave that has driven temps over 50c incapacitates all electrical appliances. Heatstroke and spoilage take their toll.

1 Jugust - a wild herd of Muffalo get a taste for human flesh when they kill a tribal sleeping outside the compound. They charge the compound, and get shredded by the defenses.
Pictured: Meat's back on the menu, boys

3 Jugust - The Labrador Retrievers are out of control. There's over a dozen of them now. They get into the beer, they eat things they aren't supposed to, they're just... too much. All but two of them are sold to a livestock merchant. The two that were not sold were because they had been adopted by Kags and Emrys, and formed an emotional bond. At least they're both male so we won't drown in puppies any more.

7 Jugust - construction of a road bypass, previously destroyed in the creation of the compound, is being built around the outside of the outer walls to facilitate the comings and goings of trade caravans.

13 Jugust - A pack of 8 Yorkshire Terriers decide they live at the compound. Here we go again.
Pictured: The cutest little pains in the ass.

2 Septober - A pack of man-hunting Emus attacks the colony. The results are comical, and nutritious.
Pictured: Finger lickin' good

2 Sept (evening) Kags proposes to Null. He accepts.

4 Sept - A bulk trader ship enters orbit. The Yorkies are quickly handed over for cash and other sundries.

7 Decembruary - Terrik and Zero get into an argument that comes to blows, but it's hard to give a guy a shiner when he's wearing power armor. Nothing much is settled.

8 Dec - Another giant insect infestation, this time in the emergency food stores. They gotta go. The insects break out through the wall before the defenders are in position and flank them from Quaternary Storage - chaos ensues. Patrthom is downed, but the only permanent damage after treatment is he lost his middle-right toe.
Pictured: Panic in Tertiary Storage

11 Dec - Terrik completes ANOTHER masterwork sculpture depicting himself working on a sculpture.

15 Dec - After the spring planting is finished, Emrys and GasBandit's wedding finally happens. Nobody makes a scene or anything. There's a huge party afterwards, and morale is now higher than it's ever been.

3 Aprimay, 5508 - Null insults Gasbandit, gets a beatin'.

6 Apr - Psychic ship section crashes north of the compound. Same drill - mortars. Somehow DocSeverin manages to get an ear shot off, despite wearing a helmet. Good thing he was wearing it... might have lost everything above the neck if he hadn't been. Mechanoid weapons are nothing to sneeze at.

13 Apr - After a week straight of rain, the sun finally comes out, and CeltZ and Zero have their wedding ceremony.

2 Jugust - Emrys said something to Dave in the kitchen and he knocked her right the hell out. POW.

3 Jugust - Ash in the sky. A Volcanic winter. But in summer! This has the effect of just making it the most pleasant summer ever, with temps hovering around 20c.

4 Jugust - Kags goes on a drinking binge in the kitchen. Pukes all over the carpet. Regrets it the next day courtesy of a 10 point hangover.

5 Jugust - The Compound is attacked by man-eating polar bears. They have even less luck than the Emus did last fall. The stress plus the hangover, though, drives Kags into another pyromaniac episode. She sets the kitchen on fire, then immediately extinguishes it with her own vomit.
Pictured: I swear to god one was carrying a bottle of cola.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm starting to get the feeling that things are going too well, and that the current narrator is too relaxed to give the challenges needed for drama for how well established things are at this point. Fortunately, the game allows you to change narrators and difficulty on the fly, so starting tonight, the narrator of the Halforumites Compound will change from "Phoebe Chillax" on "Some Challenge" difficulty to "Cassandra Classic" on "Rough" difficulty.

I expect this will make for a much more frustrating game and much more entertaining update posts. In fact, I think it's almost guaranteed this will lead to the destruction of the colony... the only question is how and when. Or, as someone once said to me, "yes, but in what order did the deck chairs on the titanic slide into the water?"

Dave

Staff member
Started playing an interesting little game called "Low Magic Age". It's a very early access game but it was only $4 so I picked it up. Right now it's a turn-based combat sim using D&D 3.5 rules. Even if it dies in production I've already gotten my money's worth out of it.

TBH I'm probably going to get Rinworld if it goes on sale, Steam has been vehemently recommending it to me for the last year, because it has access to my entire purchase history. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
TBH I'm probably going to get Rinworld if it goes on sale, Steam has been vehemently recommending it to me for the last year, because it has access to my entire purchase history. :p
Well, I gotta admit, the game does have a little bit of appeal to it. Just a little. A skosh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkest Dungeon's Crimson Court DLC is out, and here's me paying full price for it like a sucker. Heh, but really, I ain't against paying 10 bucks for DLC so long as it is for a game already "complete" and adds something good to it, which by all appearances, this does.

Also, other news for the patch that was released for it today:

Ok, straight up we know you want detailed patch notes. We love making them. But with everything going on around the DLC launch, we couldn’t bring ourselves to go back through every commit log from the past 5 months for the base game. We might’ve forgotten some stuff. Call us lazy, call us exhausted. We’re sorry, and we love you.
  • Character class balancing and adjustments! Highlights include Crusader’s Bulwark of Faith, Highwayman’s Tracking Shot and Open Vein, Bounty Hunter’s Hook and Slice (Now, Caltrops!), Leper’s Intimidate, and maybe the biggest of all: Occultist’s Wyrd Reconstruction (now usable in any rank!).
  • Comprehensive trinket re-balancing: you’ll notice not only stat changes, but rarity/tiering changes as well for some trinkets. Thanks to Maester Silvio for his contributions!
  • Added Horror (Stress DOT) to a few monsters sprinkled around the dungeons...
  • Added Laudanum -a powerful tonic to combat Horror, available at a Provisioner near you.
  • Revised improper quest rewards for Cove boss quests to give higher rewards.
  • Inexplicably, you can now enter the dungeon with less than a full party. We advise against it!
  • New Affliction act-outs! Experience the mayhem and tomfoolery of characters attacking each other and sometimes rarely even forcing a retreat! (Don’t hate us too much.)
  • High torchlight levels now properly grant dodge bonus to heroes.
  • Combat skill tooltip optimization
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements.
Laudanum to use mid dungeon against stress?! SIGN ME UP. Now I need to kill off the HF Rimworlders even faster, so I can kill you guys all over again in the mind-shredding avernal depths beneath the family manor! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1497903089,1497902858][/DOUBLEPOST]@Denbrought : Another Rimworld mod I've found which I expect to really ameliorate one of my few teeth-grinding irritations with the game: Designating a spot for traders to go so they don't randomly slam bedroom doors all night.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=948572545