What are you playing?

I can deal with being a murderhobo. I can't deal with leveling up being a punishment (if you don't "spend your points" a certain way). That was a lot of what killed my interest in the later parts of City of Heroes/Villains. It felt like every level I gained past 30, the weaker I got compared to enemies my same level.
Totally agree. Do x points more damage with y weapon is boring, and no longer building a personal character when you have to take that to get through higher level enemies damage reduction.

And as @Frank said, no role playing. You can't even play a bad guy, and while you have a voiced protagonist, that protagonist is boring, and his every dialogue option is the equivalent of smile and nod.

I enjoyed the game as a sort of shooter Diablo loot experience, but ultimately lost interest because that only stays fun for so long.

I can deal with being a murderhobo. I can't deal with leveling up being a punishment (if you don't "spend your points" a certain way). That was a lot of what killed my interest in the later parts of City of Heroes/Villains. It felt like every level I gained past 30, the weaker I got compared to enemies my same level.
This actually got better post "Freedom" update, when they made it so you didn't have to waste powers on things like Combat Jumping, Hover, or Teleport Enemy to get your travel powers and gave everyone full access to the "Fitness" pool from level 1. Since you weren't wasting power selections on "must have" powers like Stamina or your travel prerequisite, you suddenly had like 4-5 points more than you needed that you could spend around on stuff. Made the later levels easier because you suddenly had several more powers than you did before, giving you a big DPS upgrade.

Not that it helped against Malta Sappers... or the Carnival of Shadows... or Artemis of Knives... okay, basically EVERY late game group was cheap as hell still.

Hitman Agent 47

Or maybe two minutes of it, anyway. The controls make absolutely no sense. Not to mention there's no controller option. And the mouse/keyboard controls aren't intuitive in the least. I gave up on it quick.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hitman Agent 47

Or maybe two minutes of it, anyway. The controls make absolutely no sense. Not to mention there's no controller option. And the mouse/keyboard controls aren't intuitive in the least. I gave up on it quick.
Do you mean Hitman: Codename 47, the first game of the series in 2000? Yeah, it had some serious port issues. Hitman 2: Silent assassin was much better, though it still had hiccups here and there.

Do you mean Hitman: Codename 47, the first game of the series in 2000? Yeah, it had some serious port issues. Hitman 2: Silent assassin was much better, though it still had hiccups here and there.
Sorry, yeah, I did mean Codename 47. I mean, the control scheme gave two options: numpad or WASD. But even WASD's mapping was ass backwards. X and C were to move left and right. Did they not know what "WASD" controls even meant?

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry, yeah, I did mean Codename 47. I mean, the control scheme gave two options: numpad or WASD. But even WASD's mapping was ass backwards. X and C were to move left and right. Did they not know what "WASD" controls even meant?
Like I said. It had issues. :p Most people don't bother with it. Your gripes are valid and widely shared.

The sequel was much better, and generally they continued to improve again in Hitman:Blood Money.

Hitman:Contracts is optional, though it isn't as bad as Codename 47.

Everything after Blood Money is also optional, but mostly for "story is dumb" reasons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Silent Assassin and Blood Money are the two good ones.

Hitman Silent Assassin

Jesus Christ, and this one won't even start properly. I get a blank screen and hear what I assume is a logo screen. After that, I get a black screen and nothing. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and end the program.

Onto Blood Money, I guess. Buying this bundle cheap on Humble Bundle is turning into a giant waste of money.

Hitman Silent Assassin

Jesus Christ, and this one won't even start properly. I get a blank screen and hear what I assume is a logo screen. After that, I get a black screen and nothing. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and end the program.

Onto Blood Money, I guess. Buying this bundle cheap on Humble Bundle is turning into a giant waste of money.
I'd assume the Hitman games on GOG probably work a lot better than the Steam versions.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hitman Silent Assassin

This is always going to be an issue when you are trying to run 15-20 year old games. The OSes are vastly different now.

Couple things to try.

First, add Hitman2.exe to the exceptions list for Data Execution Prevention:
1. right click "My Computer" on the desktop. Click "properties."
2. Click on Advanced System Settings on the left side.
3. Go to the Advanced tab, Click "settings" under the Performance section.
4. Go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Click the second option and add the hitman2.exe to the list of exceptions.

If that doesn't help, go into the game's launcher settings and take it out of fullscreen mode. That works for most people, but unfortunately it limits you to 1024x768 resolution (which was pretty damn good for 2002, when the game came out).

Seems a lot of the problems stem from the FMV cutscenes (like the logo movie) being 800x600, and some modern monitors refuse to support playing them.

This is always going to be an issue when you are trying to run 15-20 year old games. The OSes are vastly different now.

Couple things to try.

First, add Hitman2.exe to the exceptions list for Data Execution Prevention:
1. right click "My Computer" on the desktop. Click "properties."
2. Click on Advanced System Settings on the left side.
3. Go to the Advanced tab, Click "settings" under the Performance section.
4. Go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab. Click the second option and add the hitman2.exe to the list of exceptions.

If that doesn't help, go into the game's launcher settings and take it out of fullscreen mode. That works for most people, but unfortunately it limits you to 1024x768 resolution (which was pretty damn good for 2002, when the game came out).
Tried both when I googled the issue. I assume you mean putting it in windowed mode. Neither worked.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tried both when I googled the issue. I assume you mean putting it in windowed mode. Neither worked.
did you try hitting alt-enter when the screen turns black but you hear the "logo noise?" Sometimes that's done the trick for other games in a similar situation.[DOUBLEPOST=1496276156,1496276037][/DOUBLEPOST]Some people also have had luck editing hitman 2's INI files to get it to play nice.

did you try hitting alt-enter when the screen turns black but you hear the "logo noise?" Sometimes that's done the trick for other games in a similar situation.
I hit Esc enough times to get me to the main menu. Then it froze again when I started a new game and no button pressing fixed it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hit Esc enough times to get me to the main menu. Then it froze again when I started a new game and no button pressing fixed it.
That's probably because "new game" takes it to another FMV cutscene. Try editing hitman2.ini as described in the video I just linked.

Almost finished my first campaign in Expeditions : Viking, in a way I'm sad... and in another... I'm such a fucking asshole to these Christians and I love it!

For what it's worth, I found Blood Money to be a significantly better game than the first two Hitman games, to the point where I absolutely have no desire to replay the first two, just Blood Money.

What I'm saying is, you're probably not missing much if you skip directly to Blood Money.

did you try hitting alt-enter when the screen turns black but you hear the "logo noise?" Sometimes that's done the trick for other games in a similar situation.[DOUBLEPOST=1496276156,1496276037][/DOUBLEPOST]Some people also have had luck editing hitman 2's INI files to get it to play nice.

Welp, that didn't work, either. Guess I'm onto Blood Money. Waste of fucking money.

Guess I'm onto Blood Money.
Oh hey, this one actually works for me. Welp, let's give it a try.

Dated controls? Check.
Unintuitive tutorial where I have to keep checking button configuration because the game doesn't tell me? Check.
No clear indication that you're taking damage (except for the tiny life bar)? Check.
Killing an enemy but some kind of bug means the damage he inflicted was delayed, so I suddenly died 10 seconds after killing him? Check.
No checkpoints so I'm forced to start from the VERY beginning of the level again? Check.

Fuck this game. Uninstalled.

That leaves Contracts. Forget it. Not even going to bother. I'm done.

Last edited:
Finished the story mode of Injustice 2.

That was a much, much better Batman vs Superman story. I dug it.

Injustice Universe fascist Superman is still more heroic than the Snyderverse Superman.

Hello, I play my favorite games on computer which are: Battlefied2, Deathrace and Supercar Shooter. These are my favorite games and I like to play these games on my new gaming monitor Acer Predator. I like my monitor very much.

Dave

Staff member
I want to see where he's going with these. Keep reporting as spam, but I'm going to ignore until he starts posting links and shit. Right now they're shilling, but not breaking any rules.

I figured I would take it at face value until such time as it got blatant.
FWIW I game on an HP L1750, with its blisteringly fast 5ms response time and expansive 1280x1024 SD resolution.
...I want a new monitor SO MUCH.

--Patrick

Hello, I play my favorite games on computer which are: Battlefied2, Deathrace and Supercar Shooter. These are my favorite games and I like to play these games on my new gaming monitor Acer Predator. I like my monitor very much.
That's quite the selection of games you got there. Tell me more about Battlefied2

GasBandit

Staff member
Rimworld -

Still gotta savescum to get anywhere. Bullshit instant game-over scenarios are nearly hourly, even in late game, at normal difficulty.

Also, apparently allowing your colonists a single beer a day guarantees they get cirrhosis and liver cancer within a year. Because of course it fucking does.

figmentPez

Staff member
Been bouncing around between a few games:

A Boy and His Blob - it's cute, and I kinda like it, but it doesn't pull me in. So I do a level or two, and quit, and then come back days later to play some more.

Saints Row 4 - Holy shit this game crashes a lot on my new setup. When it's running, though, it's so much easier to do stuff when I'm not constantly dropping below 20fps. Not sure why it's so unstable. I've tried a lot of different settings.

BioShock Remastered - Uh, yeah. It's BioShock. Took a while to get 5.1 sound working on this one. Finally ended up finding a windows setting that was still set to two channel audio (that setting didn't stop anything else from playing multi-channel)

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 - this one I was just going to play long enough to get the trading cards, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. It could definitely stand to explain it's mechanics better, but it's cute. Definitely a "one more turn" type of game. I'm tempted to put it on my phone, but I hate how hard it is to backup save files on mobile.

GasBandit

Staff member
Been bouncing around between a few games:

A Boy and His Blob - it's cute, and I kinda like it, but it doesn't pull me in. So I do a level or two, and quit, and then come back days later to play some more.

Saints Row 4 - Holy shit this game crashes a lot on my new setup. When it's running, though, it's so much easier to do stuff when I'm not constantly dropping below 20fps. Not sure why it's so unstable. I've tried a lot of different settings.

BioShock Remastered - Uh, yeah. It's BioShock. Took a while to get 5.1 sound working on this one. Finally ended up finding a windows setting that was still set to two channel audio (that setting didn't stop anything else from playing multi-channel)

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 - this one I was just going to play long enough to get the trading cards, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. It could definitely stand to explain it's mechanics better, but it's cute. Definitely a "one more turn" type of game. I'm tempted to put it on my phone, but I hate how hard it is to backup save files on mobile.
Well, you know, if you're putting a new system through its paces, you gotta try Crysis.