What are you playing?

As I said in the post, it was Radiant.
Radiant. Yes, that's what it was (not "illuminated").
If you said it in the post, it must be behind the spoiler tag. Which I didn't click. Because I'll probably be purchasing it at some point (if I haven't already and just don't realize it) and don't want it spoiled.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm about 3 or 4 hours in to Cosmic Star Heroine, and... I can kinda appreciate what it's trying to do here, but it's just not gelling for me. I mean, it's got the whole "I'm so fucking cool because I say so, look the fuck at me" thing going from 90s RPGs down pat, and the style/hyper/recharge dynamic of combat means it's something new, but... ehhh. It's just not doing it for me.

I'll probably keep trying, because I want to like it... buuuuuut....

I think playing it immediately after Darkest Dungeon is really working against CSH.

Expeditions Vikings has been a revelation for me. I knew I was going to like it but I didn't know I was going to love it.

The lore is perfect, the combat visceral at times on the harder difficulties and the interactions palpable as decisions really seem to matter and at times unexpectedly so. I'm playing the diplomatic thegn this time around but can't wait to finish the game and made an evil valkryie, set in lore of her pagan gods and bringing destruction against all who oppose her.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Now clearly I am a huge Fire Emblem fangirl, but I'm enjoying this game. They added a time reverse mechanic in case you fuck up, so even the most casual of casual players can succeed in classic more. There are also mini dungeon type levels, which makes that ability really handy for saving time. I'm making use of it, mostly because I'm allowing myself to make bolder choices when normally I'd inch forward into everything. But for the most part, I still find hard pretty easy, but I don't really want to do the absolute hardest difficulty because that always ends up being a time wasting RNG fest that I don't have the patience for.

Expeditions Vikings has been a revelation for me. I knew I was going to like it but I didn't know I was going to love it.

The lore is perfect, the combat visceral at times on the harder difficulties and the interactions palpable as decisions really seem to matter and at times unexpectedly so. I'm playing the diplomatic thegn this time around but can't wait to finish the game and made an evil valkryie, set in lore of her pagan gods and bringing destruction against all who oppose her.
I wishlisted this based on your post. Hopefully it gets a decent sale this summer.

Finally went back today to play Andromeda, was about 90% complete with a bunch of side-quests to complete. 6 hours later I'm done and I was basically MEH.

The whole ending felt rushed, unmemorable and basically... no final fight. Lots of after final battle stuff but beyond a few key characters the whole thing came up short.

Not a horrible game per say, in some ways better than prior ME games and others, woefully bad. No sex scene, just a cut to black. It's 2017 people, I should be able to see some ASS.

All is all, 6 on 10. Too much content, most of it being busy work... not enough quality. I think the story was good but the way it was deliverable was AMATEURISH.

Felt like 30 people were telling me a story, when it should be 1 or 2.

Injustice Gods Among Us

This was on for $5 on Bundle Stars and I'd been considering it for a long while. Only 30 minutes in and I realized it was a huge mistake.

I don't play fighting games and this reminded me why. I can barely do a single move. Even the tutorial, I'd be stuck for long periods of time trying to do ONE combo. I'd try to step back, but instead, the character would jump. I'd hit the button in the highlighted sequence several times and it wouldn't register. I was getting frustrated just trying to perform any moves. Hell, I even struggled just to BLOCK because I kept jumping back instead of just shifting back.

I couldn't imagine even trying to do these moves in an actual match. I have no idea how fighting game players can keep track of all those different combos and crap.

And sadly, because Bundle Stars doesn't do refunds like Steam, I'm out $5.

Last edited:
Injustice Gods Among Us

This was on for $5 on Bundle Stars and I'd been considering it for a long while. Only 30 minutes in and I realized it was a huge mistake.

I don't play fighting games and this reminded me why. I can barely do a single move. Even the tutorial, I'd be stuck for long periods of time trying to do ONE combo. I'd try to step back, but instead, the character would jump. I'd hit the button in the highlighted sequence several times and it wouldn't register. I was getting frustrated just trying to perform any moves. Hell, I even struggled just to BLOCK because I kept jumping back instead of just shifting back.

I couldn't imagine even trying to do these moves in an actual match. I have no idea how fighting game players can keep track of all those different combos and crap.

I don't think it's just a fighting game thing though. There are fighting games I enjoy and Injustice's main appeal is the crazy ultimate moves and stage transitions, all of which get old by the fifth time. It was a better experience watching a no-talking let's play on Youtube, so you kind of get a nice two-hour DC universe movie.

Injustice Gods Among Us

Are you using an analog stick? You should never use an analog stick, unless it's a big fight stick that you can make big motions on. D-pad all the way.

Finished the fourth Palace in Persona 5. I feel like I have so much game left, but I'm at 55 hours, which is half the length of Persona 3 already. This last stretch of game really threw me for a loop, both storywise and in gameplay. My first three incursions into the Palace had me hardly making any progress each time before exhausting my characters. Then I did almost the entire thing in one game day.

I feel bad that I've hardly touched Zelda: Breath of the Wild since getting Persona 5, but it's hard to go play wandering around aimlessly when there's this big mystery to solve. I think I'll have to have finished Persona 5 and have my real life calm down a little before I'm ready to continue that Zelda game, but it kinda sucks because I was really enjoying it.

Friday the 13th (PS4, but also on XB1 and PC)

The servers have been kind of shit but WOW, this completely fucking blows Dead By Daylight out of the water. It's a team of up to 7 camp counselors trying to escape Jason, who has a variety of powers (like teleporting around the camp or going into rage and busting through walls) to hunt them down. The counselors have a few set win conditions and a few tricks to help them out though.

- They can fix up the car/s or boat to get 2-4 players off the map alive, but Jason can smash up your boat and car when it's fixed, requiring you to restart the engine.
- You can wait the full 20 minutes of the match for dawn to come, at which point any survivors win.
- You can call the cops after the fixing the phone, who will open one of two escape points along the main road 5 minutes later and provide the counselors with cover fire if Jason tries to stop them there.
- You can kill Jason by having a female counselor steal his mom's sweater from his cabin, which she can then use to stun Jason so another counselor can finish Jason off with the axe or machete.

You can also radio Tommy Jarvis (who has defeated Jason in the past) which acts as an "extra life", allowing a dead counselor to return to the game as him. He comes with a one shot shotgun that can stun Jason, can run far, doesn't get scared quickly, and can fix stuff fast.

I really do enjoy this game a lot more than Dead By Daylight. Even losing feels better because it's much easier to act as a distraction and rack up points than it is in Dead By Daylight... and much funnier too. Blasting Jason in the face with a flare gun or throwing a string of firecrackers in his face to stop him cold is hilarious, especially when the guy controlling Jason is really into it. Stabbing him in the face with a pocket knife just as he's about to execute you is satisfying as hell... and if he STILL gets you, at the very least you are likely to see one of Jason's dozens of environmental, weapon, or special executions. Best one I've seen so far is Jason using a water pump to crack my head open like a walnut.

It's going for a budget price right now ($40). It's online only right now, but it's getting a single player mode and AI bots in a free update by late summer.

Friday the 13th (PS4, but also on XB1 and PC)

The servers have been kind of shit but WOW, this completely fucking blows Dead By Daylight out of the water. It's a team of up to 7 camp counselors trying to escape Jason, who has a variety of powers (like teleporting around the camp or going into rage and busting through walls) to hunt them down. The counselors have a few set win conditions and a few tricks to help them out though.

- They can fix up the car/s or boat to get 2-4 players off the map alive, but Jason can smash up your boat and car when it's fixed, requiring you to restart the engine.
- You can wait the full 20 minutes of the match for dawn to come, at which point any survivors win.
- You can call the cops after the fixing the phone, who will open one of two escape points along the main road 5 minutes later and provide the counselors with cover fire if Jason tries to stop them there.
- You can kill Jason by having a female counselor steal his mom's sweater from his cabin, which she can then use to stun Jason so another counselor can finish Jason off with the axe or machete.

You can also radio Tommy Jarvis (who has defeated Jason in the past) which acts as an "extra life", allowing a dead counselor to return to the game as him. He comes with a one shot shotgun that can stun Jason, can run far, doesn't get scared quickly, and can fix stuff fast.

I really do enjoy this game a lot more than Dead By Daylight. Even losing feels better because it's much easier to act as a distraction and rack up points than it is in Dead By Daylight... and much funnier too. Blasting Jason in the face with a flare gun or throwing a string of firecrackers in his face to stop him cold is hilarious, especially when the guy controlling Jason is really into it. Stabbing him in the face with a pocket knife just as he's about to execute you is satisfying as hell... and if he STILL gets you, at the very least you are likely to see one of Jason's dozens of environmental, weapon, or special executions. Best one I've seen so far is Jason using a water pump to crack my head open like a walnut.

It's going for a budget price right now ($40). It's online only right now, but it's getting a single player mode and AI bots in a free update by late summer.
Be quiet, Ash. I actually have money right now and I don't need to be changing that.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the server stuff right now though. I think know Him Sterling was complaining about it on Twitter.

Also RE: Persona 5, my final playtime clocked in at 103.
Basically, the servers aren't up to the job right now. HOWEVER, if you can get into an actual game then things are fine.

The face thing? No excuse, it looks goofy. But the car thing? Ehh... that was caused entirely by the driver not pulling away. I've been in that exact situation and all you need to do is go into reverse and you can get away from Jason. Instead, the car driver kept getting out with everyone and fighting Jason for some reason. Alternatively, you can just run away for awhile, lose Jason, and then go back for the car. However, this does highlight a VERY real problem with the game: it NEVER teaches you how to play or handle situations like this. It just expects you to know.

I played for 4 hours last night and the worst that happened to me was the car flipping upside at one point (which might not be a glitch) and I got stuck in a railing at one point. Well, and the obvious server problems.

Dave

Staff member
I'm playing...almost nothing. I'm just so bored with everything right now. I've tried to log back into EvE but ever since the last patch my launcher refuses to work. And I'm okay with that. I'm just...bored.

I'm playing...almost nothing. I'm just so bored with everything right now. I've tried to log back into EvE but ever since the last patch my launcher refuses to work. And I'm okay with that. I'm just...bored.
With all the innuendos you've encountered during your family history search, I have JUST the game for you:

Okay, I finished Persona 3 Portable yesterday. It was very, very good, but it took a long time (over 100 hours). So I'm thinking I'll be glad to jump back into Luigi's Mansion for a more measured gaming experience.

But the call of that new game+ though...

Okay, I finished Persona 3 Portable yesterday. It was very, very good, but it took a long time (over 100 hours). So I'm thinking I'll be glad to jump back into Luigi's Mansion for a more measured gaming experience.

But the call of that new game+ though...
Did you have to fight the final boss more than once? I leveled and stocked myself to as much preparation as I felt necessary due to how long that fucker takes. I'd heard stories of people getting through eleven phases only to wipe near the end and didn't want that to be me.

Did you have to fight the final boss more than once? I leveled and stocked myself to as much preparation as I felt necessary due to how long that fucker takes. I'd heard stories of people getting through eleven phases only to wipe near the end and didn't want that to be me.
First try. I only lost one team member once. I was able to cast either magic or attack mirror every turn and then let my team wear it down.

GasBandit

Staff member
I got back into Rimworld this weekend when I should have been doing other stuff. I also added in some mods, like a mod to organize the tech tree so it's a little more convenient to see what has what as a prerequisite, and also a mod that adds in single- and double-square "refrigerator" furniture pieces that can keep a single stack of things fresh/frozen so you don't have to keep everything in a walk-in freezer that's really just a room with an A/C turned down too low. Very handy for the kitchen, so that ingredients can be right next to the chef, and then the prepared meals can go into another fridge right next to the dining table.

The new aspects to the game seem kind of interesting, but I've barely delved into them. Making and Sending your own caravans is interesting but I don't know if I'll ever really make use of it, given that any given playthrough I can't seem to spare anyone - and the one time I sent one guy by himself (with a muffalo to carry goods) he got ambushed by brigands and killed.

I do, however, like the idea that you can settle new places on the same planet, even without leaving your old place. Gives the game an added path option other than "hunker in this bunker until you can build a spaceship to leave." Now, you could actually go from being a few refugees, to a town, to a nation. Just gotta make sure you set up the production queues wherever you're not watching, so that people will continue to make the things they need to live. But even then you'll have to check back on them to make sure things that get destroyed are replaced, because there's still no way to make them automatically rebuild something that's destroyed (IE, gun turrets, exploded electric conduit from "bzzt" events, etc).

Fallout 4

Picked this up in the recent sale, and so far I've logged nearly 20 hours in it.

Now, I know this would be considered rather blasphemous from a Fallout fan... but I really do like this game. The atmosphere is great, the game world is beautiful, the combat is solid, the new loot system and crafting system are interesting innovations, and the world is fun to explore. The controversial stuff like the voiced protagonist, the removal of skills, etc don't really bother me. The protagonist having a voice is no worse than Mass Effect's Commander Shepard having a voice, and the perk system allows for just as much specialization as the skill system did.

New Vegas is probably still my favorite Fallout game (well, actually, I would say Tale of Two Wastelands is my favorite), but Fallout 4 isn't far behind.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was the new perk system that killed my interest in the game. There shouldn't be perks you *have* to get in order to stay "just as good" as you were before.

It was the new perk system that killed my interest in the game. There shouldn't be perks you *have* to get in order to stay "just as good" as you were before.
This is my take too. Taking a Perk in other FO games generally has huge, lasting consequences towards your character. But in Fallout 4, you're lucky if you get 2-3 fun perks every 20 levels. Everything else is just about boosting your damage ether through % or mods.

That there was no RPG in that RPG is what killed it for me.

Every quest is kill all the things.

There're almost no interesting characters.

Blech to Fallout 4.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can deal with being a murderhobo. I can't deal with leveling up being a punishment (if you don't "spend your points" a certain way). That was a lot of what killed my interest in the later parts of City of Heroes/Villains. It felt like every level I gained past 30, the weaker I got compared to enemies my same level.