What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
So, as a reminder/notification for anyone who might want to be in a future gaming shenanigans video, we're gonna try some more L4D2 versus tonight. Terrik, Charon, Snuffles, Myself, Dei (probably late) all are in, and there's room for more if'n ya dare. Headset is pretty much necessary. I think we'll be trying to get things started between 8 and 9 eastern.

So, as a reminder/notification for anyone who might want to be in a future gaming shenanigans video, we're gonna try some more L4D2 versus tonight. Terrik, Charon, Snuffles, Myself, Dei (probably late) all are in, and there's room for more if'n ya dare. Headset is pretty much necessary. I think we'll be trying to get things started between 8 and 9 eastern.
I could conceivably be around for this tonight.

I wish I could join, but
a) I suck at the game and would prefer Viscera Cleanup Detail.
b) That's my bedtime these days since I get up early for a 6:30 AM yoga class.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wish I could join, but
a) I suck at the game and would prefer Viscera Cleanup Detail.
b) That's my bedtime these days since I get up early for a 6:30 AM yoga class.
Like we said last time, a Versus match is a damn brutal introduction to the game. One of these days, you ought to pick out a time for 2 or 3 of us to take you through a co-op game, so that you can learn the ropes and bullshit around instead of constantly being assaulted in confusing ways.

I think I can make this.

figmentPez

Staff member
Count me in. Unless I forget. I'm kinda scatterbrained today.

I *might* be able to play a little at 9, then go afk for a bit around 10, then come back, but like I said in the other thread, no guarantees.

And that patron is me!
Yeah, and look what you did to the place! That's why only one is allowed in at a time!
the name of the game is clearly shaping up to be "do as much damage as you can, as fast as you can, and rely on high dodge stats to avoid damage in return."
This is often my strategy in games (Diablo III, MoO2, etc). when weighing 50% damage reduction (armor/resist/whatever) v. 50% chance of taking no damage (dodge), dodge scales infinitely while DR does not. "Takes no damage" is still 0dmg regardless of whether the incoming damage was 100hp or one googolplex hp, can't say that about DR.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Yeah, and look what you did to the place! That's why only one is allowed in at a time!

This is often my strategy in games (Diablo III, MoO2, etc). when weighing 50% damage reduction (armor/resist/whatever) v. 50% chance of taking no damage (dodge), dodge scales infinitely while DR does not. "Takes no damage" is still 0dmg regardless of whether the incoming damage was 100hp or one googolplex hp, can't say that about DR.

--Patrick
Depends on the game: in Diablo II for example you really needed to have some serious DR or one hit kills were a guarantee - having 99% reduced damage means you can tank, having 99% dodge chance just meant you'd die every 100th hit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Depends on the game: in Diablo II for example you really needed to have some serious DR or one hit kills were a guarantee - having 99% reduced damage means you can tank, having 99% dodge chance just meant you'd die every 100th hit.
The difference in Darkest Dungeon is that damage resist (or Prot% as they call it) rarely goes above 30 or so (meaning 30% damage reduction) but "Dodge" seems to be a d20 skill roll with modifiers, and my best dodgers have dodge skills of 25 or more, even before buffs.

Granted, as Dei pointed out I'm still in the early sections of the game, though, and I have a sneaking suspicion this game will change things up when I actually start delving into the chthonic abyss instead of pecking away at its periphery.

The idea of course is to have enough DR for it to take at least 2 hits to kill you, so you can recover your hp during the 99 misses between. It depends on the game, of course. In Diablo III dodge was so broken that they had to rework the game mechanics because of stuff like this. Now D3 dodge is effectively just another layer of DR unless you stack it properly (Monk + Barb can share dodge and go > 80% dodge).

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Still Dishonored.
*clears throat*
*intentionally bad acting voice*
I totally did not see that "twist" coming since the first 5 minutes of the game.

Still Dishonored.
*clears throat*
*intentionally bad acting voice*
I totally did not see that "twist" coming since the first 5 minutes of the game.
Still, it rates number 2 on my "Should've stayed in bed" list of stupid twists.

#1 is Metal Gear Solid. Where the villain's plan requires tricking the protagonist to activate the Metal Gear - but spends so so much effort to stop him.

Every time Solid Snake is caught hiding under that cardboard box and shot dead is a victory for world safety. Every restart is a step toward Armageddon. So, fucking, stupid.

Should've just stayed in bed.

And "Shut up about your fetishes, Otacon! I can't hear this suicidal ninja begging me to kill him while he tries to murder me!"

#1 is Metal Gear Solid. Where the villain's plan requires tricking the protagonist to activate the Metal Gear - but spends so so much effort to stop him.
Meh... I always thought is was because the gene thing was more important to him than anything else. Snake HAD to die, even if it meant taking longer to turn on Metal Gear REX. I mean... it's not like they wouldn't have EVENTUALLY caught Otacon.

Still playing Elite Dangerous. I'm working on unlocking all of the engineers, who are weirdos out on the fringes of civilized space that will do experimental upgrades to different parts of your ship. I'm trying to earn the trust of a guy named Professor Palin, because he specialized in thrusters and is the only source of grade 5 dirty drive tuning, which will make your ship really, really fast (at the cost of increase power draw and heat... and the removal of all that safety shielding might reduce your lifespan by a few years, but who cares about that)

The catch? Well, after going through a lot of stuff just to talk to him, he wants alien technology before he'll do business with me. I'm going to have to hunt down a thargoid.

Now, the number of people in the game that have encountered a thargoid are in the dozens, so the chance that I'll find one is pretty damn rare. Luckily, I know where one is, or at least I know where a crashed thargoid ship is.

Earlier this year (or at the end of last year, I don't remember that well) this crash site was discovered. It was the first definitive proof of spacefaring aliens outside of rumor and whisper. It's on a tiny moon in an otherwise insignificant star system in the Pleiades sector of space, just about 100ly outside of the bubble (the bubble being the area of occupied space).

This is as close as I'm willing to get in my ship. The item I'm after is called an unknown artifact, and is believed to be a probe used by thargoids. They can sometimes be found in space, and all that is really known about them is that they royally screw up human technology. People who have scooped them out of space into their cargo holds have discovered that their systems start corroding, and some have even reported their entire ship shutting down. Jacques Space Station was transporting many of these things when it blinked out of existence during a failed hyperspace jump. Months later it was discovered, badly damaged, about 10,000ly away (and is now the center of Colonia, the first human outpost significantly outside of the bubble)

So no, I'm going to land about half a km out and approach in my SRV.

There are human ships in this crash site as well. In the above picture you can see a part of the green alien wreckage, which coincidentally does not show up on my scanners, but the abundant metal of the human ships do. The big blue ship on its side is an Anaconda class ship, the one behind it I can't really identify, but it looks like one of Lakon's ships. Behind my srv and not pictured is a Lakon Type-9 Heavy. What all these ships have in common is that they are primarily cargo ships. What does this mean? Hell if I know, I'm just here to rob the place.

The main body of the alien wreckage. I've seen what these things look like when not in pieces. The central body is circular, while the fin seen sticking out of the ground in the above picture is one of several petal-like structures that curl outward around it, making the whole thing look a bit like a sunflower. In fact, they look like this (not my image:)

They are... apparently not friendly. Like I said, only a handful of people have actually encountered one, and all of them have either been blown up or forced to run away. Luckily I didn't run into one on this trip, they've been known to pull people out of hyperspace while in this sector.

Finally, I find what I'm looking for!

That white thing is an unknown artifact, also called an unknown probe. If the image looks hazy, it's because it is! It gave off some sort of aura that made everything around it appear wavy and distorted, and also caused my sensors to occasionally malfunction. It's also worth noting that as soon as I got near this crash site, my alarm went off to tell me someone was scanning me, but there were no contacts around that could be doing it. I'm pretty sure it's this little guy that was doing it.

Transporting these things intact is dangerous, but Professor Palin didn't ask that it be in one piece. So prior to collecting this thing I blew it to pieces. My sensors went back to normal as soon as I did.

With my cargo secured, I promptly got the hell off that planet, now I just need to make it back home before a thargoid catches me and accuses me of blowing up its baby.

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkest Dungeon

Well, I almost went a whole year without losing anyone.

But today, the RNG decided it was time to have my asshole dilated, and both Terrik and Gas Bandit have passed on. They were at the level cap, too (6), on a level 3 mission >_<

So, there's plenty of room in the barracks... but the stagecoach keeps bringing me the wrong classes every week. :mad:

Darkest Dungeon

Well, I almost went a whole year without losing anyone.

But today, the RNG decided it was time to have my asshole dilated, and both Terrik and Gas Bandit have passed on. They were at the level cap, too (6), on a level 3 mission >_<

So, there's plenty of room in the barracks... but the stagecoach keeps bringing me the wrong classes every week. :mad:
IF ONLY I HAD HEALED TERRIK

fade

Staff member
Well finished Dishonored, low chaos. Got "Ghost" and "Didn't Kill Anyone" for most missions. Looked on Youtube for the 2 high chaos endings, because screw playing again. Those were depressing. Plus, just rampaging through killing everything would be way easier, and this game was already pretty easy.

Well finished Dishonored, low chaos. Got "Ghost" and "Didn't Kill Anyone" for most missions. Looked on Youtube for the 2 high chaos endings, because screw playing again. Those were depressing. Plus, just rampaging through killing everything would be way easier, and this game was already pretty easy.
It actually becomes harder because everyone is on alert... so suddenly there are lots more guards, lots more blighted people, and some entrances are blocked off. As Chaos goes up, the game becomes that more difficult.

Guys, Torment: Tides of Numenera is a fantastic spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, right down to being an imperfect game.

I like it a great deal.

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkest Dungeon:

An impressive number of heroes are starting to hit max level. More bosses are falling. The ranks have been bolstered by the additions of SeraRelm the hellion, AshburnerX the Man-At-Arms, Sixpackshaker the Houndmaster, and RavenPoe the Abomination.

But, sell any stock you might have bought in the tarvern, because hard times are ahead for booze vendors:

20170430170653_1.jpg