What are you playing?

MGS5. The game is nigh unplayable in online mode. No, I love stuttering for seconds at a time when I access the iDroid. Doesn't happen when you take yourself offline. Otherwise it runs exceptionally well. I have most things maxed (some just highs and I turn stuff like ambient occlusion off) and it maintains 60 fps pretty damn well.

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Short verdict: It's excellent.

Now I'm pondering whether to replay it and go for the Pacifist achievement. It might be more trouble than it's worth, considering how easy it is to accidentally kill someone.

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Short verdict: It's excellent.

Now I'm pondering whether to replay it and go for the Pacifist achievement. It might be more trouble than it's worth, considering how easy it is to accidentally kill someone.
It's not as hard you'd think. You get plenty of stun gun ammo, tranq darts, and energy cells to make it happen, as long as you isolate guys or avoid them. Just some things to keep in mind though...

- You can kill robots.
- Hacked Turret and Robot kills DO count as deaths you caused, stopping your achievement. You caused human death indirectly, but it was still your plan for them to die.
- Robots EXPLODING after you've EMPed them and killing a guy DO NOT count as deaths by your hand.

That said, it's nowhere near as easy as maxing out your starting pistol, getting the AP option for it, and proceeding to head shot everyone in the game.

It's actually really easy. Here's a tip which ruined my no kill playthrough: Don't kill anyone during the break-in at the lab during the prologue.

figmentPez

Staff member
Finished playing Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes it's kind of a puzzle/strategy game. I started playing it during a free weekend ages ago, and recently decided to pick it up and finish. It's fun, but some factions are more enjoyable than others, and I think they saved the worst for last. The final chapter kind of became a boring slog, since that faction focuses on stall tactics. With lower attack than most of the factions, matches take a long time, especially since you're mostly having mirror matches.

Other than that final chapter, though, I enjoyed my time with the game. It's got some solid mechanics, and a good art style.

fade

Staff member
Shadows of Mordor

Okay, I played this for about 10 minutes and I am hooked. It definitely is based on Batman, but it's different enough that I don't care. Will say more when I play more.

Shadows of Mordor

Okay, I played this for about 10 minutes and I am hooked. It definitely is based on Batman, but it's different enough that I don't care. Will say more when I play more.
Yeah, Michael Jones did a Let's Play of Shadows of Mordor and he said that it's basically a mashup of Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed, set in LOTR, plus the Nemesis system (which I think would improve a lot of games).

Shadows of Mordor

There's nothing wrong with iteration if it's done well, and Shadow of Mordor (pet peeve, there's just one shadow, and that's the player character) is done very well. Small word of warning though, Talion is not Batman. If you're well versed in the Batman games (as I was) and go in thinking he is Batman, he will get killed. He is a bit more fragile, and while he can take down hordes of uruks, he has to be smart about it.

Poe has collected many bounties on the Uruks who shuffled me off my mortal coil. I still think that mechanic is cool as hell, you can avenge the death of people on your friends list by killing orcs that killed them.

fade

Staff member
There's nothing wrong with iteration if it's done well, and Shadow of Mordor (pet peeve, there's just one shadow, and that's the player character) is done very well. Small word of warning though, Talion is not Batman. If you're well versed in the Batman games (as I was) and go in thinking he is Batman, he will get killed. He is a bit more fragile, and while he can take down hordes of uruks, he has to be smart about it.
Shadows shadows shadows shadows shadows.

Great now it looks weird.

So, I never played Peace Walker. Was Peace Walker as bereft of millennia long cut scenes as Phantom Pain? I'm not complaing. Game is excellent. Just doesn't feel Metal Gear with all this lengthy expositionless gameplay.

So, I never played Peace Walker. Was Peace Walker as bereft of millennia long cut scenes as Phantom Pain? I'm not complaing. Game is excellent. Just doesn't feel Metal Gear with all this lengthy expositionless gameplay.
Peace Walker has plenty of cutscenes (hand drawn in the style of the production art even) but it sort of needs to because it's the game where Naked Snake/Big Boss is forced to comes to terms with what happened during Snake Eater. Hell, some of them are even quick time events that you need to participate in. Most of the less interesting stuff is relegated to audiotapes you can listen to whenever you want, but you do need to listen to some of them to unlock all of the Side and Extra Ops.

So yes... it has a few lengthy cutscenes, but they feel RELEVANT and most don't exist to info dump for you. Remember, this was a PSP game meant to be played on the train to school/work, not a console title originally.

Urgh. I hate the fact that they decided to name it "Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor". It's not with "Shadow" or with "Lord of the Rings" in my Steam Library, no, it's at Middle. That makes no sense. Coming from someone who actively hated the renaming of earlier total War titles, that's saying something. Ridiculous. Don't make the beginning of your title something that's never included in or used as its title.

Urgh. I hate the fact that they decided to name it "Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor". It's not with "Shadow" or with "Lord of the Rings" in my Steam Library, no, it's at Middle. That makes no sense. Coming from someone who actively hated the renaming of earlier total War titles, that's saying something. Ridiculous. Don't make the beginning of your title something that's never included in or used as its title.
You know, you can rename it to whatever you want, and re-order your list however you like.[DOUBLEPOST=1441265775,1441265661][/DOUBLEPOST]
Poe has collected many bounties on the Uruks who shuffled me off my mortal coil. I still think that mechanic is cool as hell, you can avenge the death of people on your friends list by killing orcs that killed them.
That's the great thing about social games. Bowie keeps dying, and I keep getting xp.

Alright alright alright.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is fuuuuuuucking goooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

My ONLY nitpick so far is I don't like the creditsy bits before missions. I don't wanna know beforehand which villains show up. It would have been much, much cooler to not know when Skullface and the Skulls show up ahead of time.

That is also a nitpick of mine, it kills the surprise. I also miss the Codec Calls with the dialogs between Snake and Crew. Silent protagonist Snake is weird to see interacting with others.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I have MGS V, but haven't had a chance to actually play it yet. It came with my new graphics card.

On the other hand, I also broke down and bought a PS4, Arkham Knight edition, and picked up Destiny.

WHY WOULD I DO THIS JUST BEFORE CLASSES START?????

Oh, I have another nitpick. I don't like Troy Baker as Ocelot and I like it even less that his face is seemingly modeled after Baker's too.

Shadow of Mordor

It's okay. It's honestly not grabbing me like I thought it would. Normally, I dig sandbox games but so far? I don't know. It's okay. It's a pretty typical revenge story.

So far, I haven't done any story missions. Just buggered about, killing orcs - including a few captains - and collected a few things.

It's weird. I thought I'd be all over this game.

I don't know that I'd call Shadow of Mordor a sandbox game. I mean, maybe in a loose definition, because you can go wherever you want, but...

Honestly, it seems like a pain to travel through this game. It's basically one giant stealth game. For me, travelling in a sandbox game is a big thing. But yeah, I'll at least keep playing through and trying it.
I personally really loved that about the game. You are on MORDOR, hostile territory. You have to move silently through orc infested lands. Though, you very quickly unlock the ability to teleport to the various towers you unlock, which really cuts down on travel time, as well as gaining the ability to ride beasts.

fade

Staff member
I'm a bit confused about the elf wraith and the prevention of a human death, both of which kind of break canon. Elves don't die in Tolkien's world. Even if they're slain they just come back in the halls of Mandos. How can they be spirits? And preventing the death of a man would be defying Eru himself which would be impossible. I guess you could hand wave both.

The story missions unlock some nice stuff.

That said, I think it's good to screw around a little first, so that when orcs get involved in what you're doing, they're already familiar faces. I need to do a second playthrough sometime.

I'm a bit confused about the elf wraith and the prevention of a human death, both of which kind of break canon. Elves don't die in Tolkien's world. Even if they're slain they just come back in the halls of Mandos. How can they be spirits? And preventing the death of a man would be defying Eru himself which would be impossible. I guess you could hand wave both.
This elf in particular is cursed, and he didn't prevent Talion's death so much as the summoner guy at the beginning forcibly fused their souls together in his effort to summon the elf lord.

GasBandit

Staff member
Road Redemption is pretty fun. Addicting as hell. And it's hard. Like, OLD school hard. You know how so many racing games try to make the race more exciting by artificially slowing down the AI cars in front, and speeding up the AI cars in back? None of that here. It's entirely possible for you to make one tiny mistake at the start of a race and not even see a glimmer of the taillights of the other racers til the finish line. The game starts you off massively underpowered, but every time you play you earn XP, which you spend after "Game Over" on improving your player... so every time you play, you do better - both because you are getting better at it and because you have more HP/Boost/better weapons, etc. I'll probably end up doing a video review of it some time next week, or whenever I'm done doing the video editing for this weekends' L4D and Don't Starve sessions :p

This elf in particular is cursed, and he didn't prevent Talion's death so much as the summoner guy at the beginning forcibly fused their souls together in his effort to summon the elf lord.
That said, anything that goes against canon should probably be taken as "it's a video game."

So, I'm a TINY ways into MGS5. Here's my prediction (I've managed to avoid spoilers so far):

I am not playing as Big Boss. I'm not sure of how or why (other than I think I may have gotten Face/Off'd) but I don't think I'm playing as the real Big Boss.