What are you playing?

Big Daddies became trivial after you get the crossbow and trap bolts though. Lay down three or four tripwires across a corridor, get the Big Daddy's attention, and watch as he trips across them one by one until he dies.

Big Daddies became trivial after you get the crossbow and trap bolts though. Lay down three or four tripwires across a corridor, get the Big Daddy's attention, and watch as he trips across them one by one until he dies.
Get enough electro ammo and you don't even need to move. He'll just stand there stunned until you run out of juice, and odds are he'll run out of health first.

You know, I really did. I know a lot of people didn't, but I loved the drilling, and the trapping, and the protecting the little sisters.
Bioshock 2 is, mechanically, the better game. Being able to use a plasmid AND a weapon at the same time just completely changes how the game works. It's just the story doesn't have the same punch because you're kind of retreading old material and you're (somehow) an more passive participant in the story than in Bioshock 1.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bioshock 2 is, mechanically, the better game. Being able to use a plasmid AND a weapon at the same time just completely changes how the game works. It's just the story doesn't have the same punch because you're kind of retreading old material and you're (somehow) an more passive participant in the story than in Bioshock 1.
Yeah, I didn't really care much about the story, I just loved freezing people and then drill dashing them over and over again. Oh, and setting up the tripwire bombs so if they tried to get sneaky around me to get to the little sister, they would blow up. But mostly the drilling. I reeeeeeeeallly liked drilling people.

Yeah, I didn't really care much about the story, I just loved freezing people and then drill dashing them over and over again. Oh, and setting up the tripwire bombs so if they tried to get sneaky around me to get to the little sister, they would blow up. But mostly the drilling. I reeeeeeeeallly liked drilling people.
I was a bit more evil about the whole thing. My defenses would be me spamming bees (which spawn bee mines when enemies die to them, sort of like the upgraded Murder of Crows in Bioshock Infinite), while enemies walk into my remote turrets and mines... mines which I would stick onto explosive barrels and gas canisters for extra damage. I generally don't use the drill, I use the rivet gun a lot to light guys on fire.

After a month of chaos, I finally got an hour of Saints Row IV in. In that hour, I got into several gunfights, rescued a homie, and signed up for amateur night at a strip club.

A quick time event...dancing at amateur night at a strip club.

God I love this game so much.

fade

Staff member
One of my favorite series. I have to agree with the creators, though. Where could you possibly go with the story from here?

So I was like, hey Frank, I want to actually finish Shadow of Mordor, do that. Ok, Frank, no problem. Hey, it's been a while since the game came out, why don't we check and see what kind of DLC deluge there's been since it is a WB game. Good idea Frank. Holy shit Frank, there's like 60 bucks worth. That's a lot Frank. Hey Frank, one of them is a GOTY upgrade for 10 bucks. It apparently gives you all the season pass DLC and other shit. Well, let's just get that then Frank. Good idea Frank. Hey, it actually gives you literally every piece of paid DLC, WB just left all the other DLC bits up there likely in order to try to grab a few extra bucks from people who don't read everything through thoroughly. That's pretty shitty Frank. I agree Frank.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I was like, hey Frank, I want to actually finish Shadow of Mordor, do that. Ok, Frank, no problem. Hey, it's been a while since the game came out, why don't we check and see what kind of DLC deluge there's been since it is a WB game. Good idea Frank. Holy shit Frank, there's like 60 bucks worth. That's a lot Frank. Hey Frank, one of them is a GOTY upgrade for 10 bucks. It apparently gives you all the season pass DLC and other shit. Well, let's just get that then Frank. Good idea Frank. Hey, it actually gives you literally every piece of paid DLC, WB just left all the other DLC bits up there likely in order to try to grab a few extra bucks from people who don't read everything through thoroughly. That's pretty shitty Frank. I agree Frank.
How... how many Franks are living in there?

On the other hand:

Steam said:
The Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - GOTY Edition Upgrade and the previously available Season Pass are the same product.
Which means that for once, the season pass of a game actually includes ALL available DLC, which, as a fan of the Borderlands and Arkham series is refreshing.

Still slowly making my way through DX:HR. Got a mission to investigate something in the police department. Fail to talk my way in, so I try to sneak in. Get discovered. Shootout ensues, culminating in the complete annihilation of the entire police force.

Pondering whether to continue with this result or reload an earlier save.

Last edited:
The combat is turn based grid tactics. The RPG elements are mostly just customizing your character and your interactions. The stories are mostly linear.

It's linear, but for all that, the writing is pretty decent.
Oh no doubt.[DOUBLEPOST=1440190588,1440190523][/DOUBLEPOST]
I bought Shadowrun on the last big sale, I keep meaning to try it but I haven't yet. What kind of RPG does it play like, exactly?
Dragonfall is like, 90000 times better than Returns (Returns isn't terrible either).

I don't know if Hong Kong improves on Dragonfall yet, so far it's good.

Oh no doubt.[DOUBLEPOST=1440190588,1440190523][/DOUBLEPOST]

Dragonfall is like, 90000 times better than Returns (Returns isn't terrible either).

I don't know if Hong Kong improves on Dragonfall yet, so far it's good.
Returns is great if your first Shadowrun experience was Shadowrun SNES. It even features characters and remixed music from that game.

But yes... Dragonfall: Director's Cut is a ton better than Returns.

I kind of wish that so many of the portraits weren't real people that I am aware of. It really drags me out of the experience.

For example, in Shadowrun Hong Kong, Felicia Day is incredibly, obviously one of the Shadowrunners you can hire for missions. In Pillars of Eternity, Evilore (the owner of NeoGAF) is one of the few human male faces you can choose as a portrait. It's a tiny niggle, but it's there.

How's the NPCs in HK? They as solid as the ones in Dragonfall?
That was several of the many stretch goals they met. Everyone gets multiple ways to upgrade them (at least 2 paths, I believe) and story lines about them that are at least comparable to those in Dragonfall.

So far they're all interesting. Gaichu is definitely the most unique NPC they've had thus far.

Last edited:
I've cooled considerably to Godzilla PS4. Once you've fully upgraded Godzilla himself, the other monsters aren't as much fun, and while it's still fun as him, I think I've played what the game has to offer me. The last two times I popped it in, I thought "I could just be watching a Godzilla movie." So, it was fun for a month and I got more mileage out of it than most, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it much longer. Gamestop is going to give more than eBay in this particular case, and they won't be doing that for too long.

But I stand by all the stuff I said before; while it was fun, it was a lot of fun.

Majora's Mask is also not so hot for me now. Part of it's because of how much energy I feel like putting into the side quests (not a lot) and part of it is that while it was a healing process when I was 15, now at 30 it's dredging up sentiments about what I was escaping, which is making parts of the experience unpleasant.

Ok, so far, Hong Kong has VASTLY less combat if you so choose. You can talk your way out of almost anything and since I always play these bloody games as high charisma characters, I'm doing so a lot. I've done about 4 missions now and have had a grand total of 3 combat encounters (including the two from the tutorial/intro level).