What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
To me, it's just not Skyrim if I can't Fus-Ro-Dah. But Delphine can wait forever outside the Thalmor embassy for all I care.

To me, it's just not Skyrim if I can't Fus-Ro-Dah. But Delphine can wait forever outside the Thalmor embassy for all I care.
If I get that far in the main quest I have to do that quest, that's maybe my favorite main story quest for some reason.

Started a new High Elf character, who's a Thalmor agent, according to Live Another Life. She's going to join the Stormcloaks, just to see everyone's head explode.

Also, for some reason Apachii Sky Hair won't play nicely with Live Another Life, so I got rid of Apachii hair. Pity.

GasBandit

Staff member
Started a new High Elf character, who's a Thalmor agent, according to Live Another Life. She's going to join the Stormcloaks, just to see everyone's head explode.

Also, for some reason Apachii Sky Hair won't play nicely with Live Another Life, so I got rid of Apachii hair. Pity.
Uh, I know several people who use both Apachii hair and LAL.

One of the cool things about the money treadmill in GT4 is that you have enough money to just buy cars you always wanted or thought were really cool. 1989 Toyota Celica GT-4. 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo J. 1979 Nissan Fairlady Z (which I am currently using to destroy the competition in the Japanese 1970's championship).

Also, this weekend, playing GT6, I managed to win the 2nd Supercar Festival race in the IB level with a tuned Pagani Huayra 2013 15th Anniversary Edition. The previous 50 times or so I'd either spin out in one of the corners or get passed on the last corner and wind up in 3rd (the 1-2 cars were always tight together). After a 3rd place finish, I felt I had the track *down* so I said, "Okay, one more try." And I was ON. I was in 4th place by the end of the 1st lap, whereas usually I would be in 6th, or rarely 5th. On the second lap I quickly took 3rd, and by the end of the lap was within sight of the leaders. Somehow I wound going between them - Ferraris, an Enzo and an FXX - taking 2nd and 1st in one swoop. At the last corner the FXX was coming up hard while I was braking to make the last turn, and I managed to move over and block him - he hit my car's tail and basically boosted me while killing his speed. I made the corner instead of going into the sand and won.

Found out John and I have to go back to the National A level and finish those fucking Kart races and take gold in the last of the championship races we'd taken silver on (having golded all the rest, we still won the championship) in order to win a racing edition RX-7 (the BP Falken model, which is worth 200k in the shop). I hate those fucking karts.

Uh, I know several people who use both Apachii hair and LAL.
I'm sure I could get it working if I fiddled with my load order or mods, I just can't be bothered. I don't even know if it's Apachii that's actually causing the problem, since I'm running a bunch of mods now. All I know is that disabling Apachii hair allows my game to work, so...

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a mod that allows you to train 10 times per level.
At first I thought that sounded a little cheatsy, but then, the price still goes up exponentially for each training, right? So really, who's to say it's not unreasonable to drop a small fortune training with a master for a huge amount of time?

My favorite though is training pickpocketing. Train it, pickpocket the money back. Train it, pickpocket the money back.

At first I thought that sounded a little cheatsy, but then, the price still goes up exponentially for each training, right? So really, who's to say it's not unreasonable to drop a small fortune training with a master for a huge amount of time?

My favorite though is training pickpocketing. Train it, pickpocket the money back. Train it, pickpocket the money back.
Even better: some trainers are your friends, so you can have them train you, then take the money back from them when you recruit them.

Even better: some trainers are your friends, so you can have them train you, then take the money back from them when you recruit them.
The unofficial patch fixes these, unfortunately. Gold paid to trainers is no longer kept in their inventory.

Etrian Odyssey IV: You know how sometimes you stop playing a game for a really long time, so long that when you come back to it you have no idea what you're doing or even how to play? That was yesterday when I tried to start this again, and I've decided I'm done. I have no motivation to keep playing (clearly) and it's not a game I can just pick up and drop in spurts. With Persona Q coming out later this year, which is the same cool map stuff and dungeon exploration, but with a story and characters (neither of which Etrian Odyssey has), and then they're also characters I care about--I'm done with EO.

The Wolf Among Us: Bought the whole thing last night and started episode 1. Great so far. I intend to take it slow and make it last, but I have a feeling that as the story keeps going, that discipline will dissolve like it did with The Walking Dead. I'm certainly glad I've read the first four or five volumes of the graphic novel so I can catch a lot of little details; otherwise some of this would seem a little random.

GasBandit

Staff member
It looks fun... but free to play? It also lacks the base building mechanic.
True, there's no "base" really, it's more of an arena type combat thing, like war thunder or Mechwarrior Online. There's also a tech tree/research dynamic I forgot to show in the video that lets you get more advanced parts, and as you level up from doing damage to other robots, it increases your CPU rating, which lets you build bigger/fancier robots, which lets you move up tiers, which gives you higher tier tech points, which lets you repeat the cycle.

Etrian Odyssey IV: You know how sometimes you stop playing a game for a really long time, so long that when you come back to it you have no idea what you're doing or even how to play? That was yesterday when I tried to start this again, and I've decided I'm done. I have no motivation to keep playing (clearly) and it's not a game I can just pick up and drop in spurts. With Persona Q coming out later this year, which is the same cool map stuff and dungeon exploration, but with a story and characters (neither of which Etrian Odyssey has), and then they're also characters I care about--I'm done with EO.

The Wolf Among Us: Bought the whole thing last night and started episode 1. Great so far. I intend to take it slow and make it last, but I have a feeling that as the story keeps going, that discipline will dissolve like it did with The Walking Dead. I'm certainly glad I've read the first four or five volumes of the graphic novel so I can catch a lot of little details; otherwise some of this would seem a little random.
I never read any of the graphic novels, but was still able to follow everything in Wolf Among Us. It does a great job of presenting the world and filling in the details, and while you may not catch everything at first, you soon do.

It's weird. For some reason, when I stop playing a game, and then pick it up again a long time later, I often find that I'm significantly *better* than I was previously. Example: Armored Core 3. Stuck about 1/3 of the way through the game. Couldn't get past it. Stopped playing for a year or so. Decided to throw it in again. Passed same mission with A-rank and wound up finishing the game, including topping the arena. Bought Silent Line, got stuck on a couple hard missions, moved on to other games for a few months, came back and finished that one as well. Bought Last Raven, which uses a different control setup. It's different enough from the others that things don't really carry over and the AC customization works very differently as well. In the end, it wound up being too frustrating to bother playing. The storyline is too nihilistic to get me interested, either. AC3 and Silent Line were fairly optimistic, all told - humanity proving that it no longer needs to be regulated by artifical intelligence and live in subterranean constructs, but can once more live on the surface of a restored Earth. Last Raven starts in the aftermath of another apocalypse, in which most of the world humanity rebuilt was annihilated. The remaining megacorporations have joined resources into the Corporate Alliance, which is beginning to try and rebuilt civilization, but under their own corporate police state, while a number of mercenaries Ravens have formed a terrorist group called Vertex, to take down the Alliance. The game starts with 24 hours before Vertex launches an all-out, winner takes all attack on the Alliance, and you as the player must choose whether to pick a side, or just gun down anyone who gets in your way. Regardless, the game ends with the world still in ruins, pretty much every organization smashed to pieces, and the surviving Last Raven left to wonder what the point of it was. Yayyy.

Gran Turismo is another example of a game I got better at after being away from for years. When John got GT6 for the PS3, it had been years since either of us had played one. And yet we had little difficulty getting back into it (GT6 is in many ways significantly easier than GT4, providing a much less 'break your controller with a hammer' gaming experience. Except the karts...). Playing that got me to give GT4 another chance, and instead of being stuck in the Sunday Cup and other low level races, I've completed all the beginner events, the B and A licenses, the Japanese Championship, the Japan 70's, 80's, and 90's festivals, the Mazda Club "RE" event, and have amassed a collection of 24 cars. My prior record? 3 shitty ones.

I am getting quite good at Heroes and Generals. Germas are still OP, but a good headshot with an M1 Garand stops most Nazis.
Love that every weapon has a certain number of points to it, and you are only allowed a maximum of 10 points.
Carry a M1 and M1A1 Bazooka and am the bane of nazi tanks. especially in urban settings.

It's weird. For some reason, when I stop playing a game, and then pick it up again a long time later, I often find that I'm significantly *better* than I was previously.
This may also depend on the quality of the game to be intuitive.

I never read any of the graphic novels, but was still able to follow everything in Wolf Among Us. It does a great job of presenting the world and filling in the details, and while you may not catch everything at first, you soon do.
What I should've said was, there are nods to things that I'm assuming aren't covered in the game. If they are, I'll be surprised. There are tons of side-stories in Fables.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is pretty typical JRPG fare, but SO has one of the best RPG battle systems out there, so it's always fun. The International version thankfully has JPN voice-over, so I don't have to listen to what is usually the weakest link in JRPGs: the ENG voicework (SO:TLH has some of the worst out there).

It's weird. For some reason, when I stop playing a game, and then pick it up again a long time later, I often find that I'm significantly *better* than I was previously.
Perhaps you're experiencing another spurt of beginner's luck.

Perhaps you're experiencing another spurt of beginner's luck.
That's probably part of it, it's probably partially the fact that going into it cold I'm not frustrated, and probably part of it is that part of my subconscious has been going over it and when I play again it's like, "Oh, by the way, I figured out what you were doing wrong. Try this instead."

Necronic

Staff member
honestly I think its pretty sweet. Needs a lot more work. For instance they need a heatsink/pg system. Its just too easy to create these glass cannon monstrosities. No real downside to it.

GasBandit

Staff member
honestly I think its pretty sweet. Needs a lot more work. For instance they need a heatsink/pg system. Its just too easy to create these glass cannon monstrosities. No real downside to it.
I'm less worried about the glass cannon monstrosities (after all, they die pretty fast) than I am the aerofoil BS that somehow manage to fly a mile straight up and then rain destruction down on everyone with complete impunity.

That, and how every block and tech upgrade can be bought with real cash.

I'm less worried about the glass cannon monstrosities (after all, they die pretty fast) than I am the aerofoil BS that somehow manage to fly a mile straight up and then rain destruction down on everyone with complete impunity.

That, and how every block and tech upgrade can be bought with real cash.
Welp, that does it for me. I loathe pay-to-win games.