What are you playing?

PS2, well noted for its tricky as hell brush controls. I'd love to play the wii version, its definitely on my list.
I suppose at this point the PS3 HD version with Move support would be ideal if you have an HD TV. Sadly the Wii version looks kinda crummy on an HD, and that shouldn't happen to such a gorgeous game.

Plague Inc

I don't know why I find this game so addictive and compelling. For one, it's actually beatable, unlike its flash counterpart Pandemic (Madagascar doesn't shut down everything at the sign of one sneeze). There are plenty of game modes that are fun to play with, too. My two personal favourites are the Necroa Virus (aka: zombies) where you can invade other countries with dead heads....and a Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tie-in where you not only help destroy human civilization, but build up the ape civilization. Really fun stuff.

Plague Inc

I don't know why I find this game so addictive and compelling. For one, it's actually beatable, unlike its flash counterpart Pandemic (Madagascar doesn't shut down everything at the sign of one sneeze). There are plenty of game modes that are fun to play with, too. My two personal favourites are the Necroa Virus (aka: zombies) where you can invade other countries with dead heads....and a Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tie-in where you not only help destroy human civilization, but build up the ape civilization. Really fun stuff.
Oooh, it's free on the Play Store. I always thought it cost money.

Says it offers in-app purchases though. What are those like? Obnoxious at all?

Oooh, it's free on the Play Store. I always thought it cost money.

Says it offers in-app purchases though. What are those like? Obnoxious at all?
Kind of. I recall buying the app, which was only a few bucks. I think it's one of those "pay for the upgrades & unlockables or earn them" things.

I'm actually playing the Steam version. Bought it the other day on a whim.
(I had $11 unspent Steam credit burning in my wallet that was begging to be spent.)

Last edited:
Also, GODDAMN Greenland and Iceland. Quit closing your shipping lanes before you get even one infected!
Don't put anything into symptoms before infecting everyone, or at least every country. Upgrade the water transmissions. That SHOULD do the trick most times.

Finished The Wolf Among Us tonight. Excellent throughout, even if the episodes felt like they got shorter as they went. Looking forward to playing it again someday.

Man, that fucking ending ...

Bigby went over a lot in his head as Narissa walked away, so I'm sure it's more complicated than it at first appears. But since we're dealing with a story where fables using glamours to impersonate other fables, if the girl at the end wasn't Narissa? Or if Vivian wasn't the true source of the curse, hence others still wearing their ribbons? Or if the "Faith" we meet at the beginning was Narissa.

I hope they do a season 2; this got me liking Fables again, though I probably still won't go back to the books.

Zappit

Staff member
Beat both Mega Man 2 and 3 for the first time ever today. I've owned the MM2 cartridge for some 20+ years, and never got past the boss room that requires Crash Bombs to beat. Not today.

And 3's just a brutal fuck-you fest. Needed to use the save feature on the 3DS a few times to get through that.

It's weird. The original gets flack for being one of the hardest, but I can breeze through that one.

Beat both Mega Man 2 and 3 for the first time ever today. I've owned the MM2 cartridge for some 20+ years, and never got past the boss room that requires Crash Bombs to beat. Not today.

And 3's just a brutal fuck-you fest. Needed to use the save feature on the 3DS a few times to get through that.

It's weird. The original gets flack for being one of the hardest, but I can breeze through that one.
I just played through the original game on my WiiU virtual console and I have to agree. I remember it being WAY harder than it was.

I don't recall ever beating the clones of the MM2 bosses in MM3.
MM2 however I know I was able to beat a few times in my youth. It was tough going though. I do remember that crash bomb boss though. I think that every one of my run throughs I needed to take that guy on one or two times. There was absolutely no room for error if I remember correctly. If you messed up a bomb you were pretty much screwed.

Years ago, before they introduced a lot of the more... "mainstream" MMO elements it has now. You know, back when it was good.
I stumbled upon a shard emulation and client and played it a few hours. Was fun and nostalgic. Prolly my 2nd favorite mmo after swg

I stumbled upon a shard emulation and client and played it a few hours. Was fun and nostalgic. Prolly my 2nd favorite mmo after swg
I was Siege Perilous, born and raised. Once they introduced the Trammel and Felucca shards and got rid of the Hero/Villain system, I gave away all of my vet rewards and my house and booked. It was no longer my home and it wouldn't be now.

GasBandit

Staff member

I think the original had less fantastic controls at first. Maybe they smoothed it out in the rerelease.

I was Siege Perilous, born and raised. Once they introduced the Trammel and Felucca shards and got rid of the Hero/Villain system, I gave away all of my vet rewards and my house and booked. It was no longer my home and it wouldn't be now.
I was on SP as well. X-Roads combat was awesome. I feel ya, that's when I left... to go to SWG.

I tried an UO emulator, setup is pretty straight forward... just for the nostalgia... it held pretty well. I'm running my own private server with spawn working as it should. It was fun last night.

I don't recall ever beating the clones of the MM2 bosses in MM3.
MM2 however I know I was able to beat a few times in my youth. It was tough going though. I do remember that crash bomb boss though. I think that every one of my run throughs I needed to take that guy on one or two times. There was absolutely no room for error if I remember correctly. If you messed up a bomb you were pretty much screwed.
Crash Man was easy to take out with Air Man's weapon, I think... and Air Man could be defeated with just the mega buster without too much problem. Most of the bosses weren't so bad, it was getting there I always had a problem with.

GasBandit

Staff member
Crash Man was easy to take out with Air Man's weapon, I think... and Air Man could be defeated with just the mega buster without too much problem. Most of the bosses weren't so bad, it was getting there I always had a problem with.
No, he means the Dr Wily room that you have to use crash bombs and only crash bombs on.

Dave

Staff member
I have been playing the shit out of "X-Com - The Enemy Unknown". I just got the Enemy Within DLC which is more like an expansion pack than a DLC, and I downloaded the mod "Long War" to go with it. Now, for those that don't know, LW adds a metric ton of things to the core game that adds to it like nothing you've ever seen. But it also ratchets up the difficulty from somewhere ground level to the fucking stratosphere. I did something I've never done in an X-Com game before in that I refused missions because they were basically unwinnable at my level of tech. I mean, I'm still rocking rifles that do minimal damage and I'm meeting creatures that one-shot me and I have to hit them 4-5 times to take down. And there's more of them than me. Oh, and they don't miss whereas my guys are like fumbling morons of ammo-wasting.

Sounds frustrating, doesn't it? Well, I save scum the fuck out of this game because you almost have to. Loving it, though.

I have been playing the shit out of "X-Com - The Enemy Unknown". I just got the Enemy Within DLC which is more like an expansion pack than a DLC, and I downloaded the mod "Long War" to go with it. Now, for those that don't know, LW adds a metric ton of things to the core game that adds to it like nothing you've ever seen. But it also ratchets up the difficulty from somewhere ground level to the fucking stratosphere. I did something I've never done in an X-Com game before in that I refused missions because they were basically unwinnable at my level of tech. I mean, I'm still rocking rifles that do minimal damage and I'm meeting creatures that one-shot me and I have to hit them 4-5 times to take down. And there's more of them than me. Oh, and they don't miss whereas my guys are like fumbling morons of ammo-wasting.

Sounds frustrating, doesn't it? Well, I save scum the fuck out of this game because you almost have to. Loving it, though.
EW is officially an expansion; they released it as its own game for consoles.

My current playthrough is Iron Man; meaning one save that auto-saves; I cannot load to a previous point, ever. It's ... challenging.

I'm working on Classic Ironman right now. Might've finally found an approach that gets me through the beginning of the second month. Fuck thin men.

Finally made it to the third month. As it turns out, rushing for MECs is really, really solid on ironman, since they can cover up a lot of little mistakes just by having massive aoe flamethrowers and a ton of health. Now I've got Carapace Armour and Laser Rifles researched and (hopefully) things will start to stabilize. Better odds if the game didn't insist on assigning every rookie I level to be another useless sniper, though.

Better odds if the game didn't insist on assigning every rookie I level to be another useless sniper, though.
Right?

My current playthrough probably has 10 snipers. At most, I need 3, two if a mission would be helped by it, and then one for backup if one of them goes down. Meanwhile, I have one assault. Yay.

I'm not going to end up getting a second heavy until the sectoids and thin men stop showing up. I mean, I'm not sure that I'm going to want to have more than one coming on missions later in the game, but for right now the extra rocket would be huge.

Dave

Staff member
Have you changed any of your character's names to Chris Kluwe yet? Someone told me about it and I thought it was a joke. But it creates a super soldier, but stops you from being able to gather achievements. There's apparently a few of those super soldier types. I did it once but don't have that game any more. But he was fun to play with!

All the talk about Megaman 2 made me decide to play it again.
I picked up on my last apparent restore from whenever it was I last played. I had Bubble, Metal and Crash man left. Finished them off and went through Wiley's castle pretty quickly. I forgot how short some of those levels are. I did pretty well but I did need to use the restore a few times. On the dragon boss, the crash bomb boss and Dr. Wiley's ship mode specifically. The final Dr. Wiley mode isn't that hard when you know his only weakness is the bubble lead.
I do appreciate that the Wiley stages keep track of your master power levels and require you to fill them up. But it is tough if you die on a boss like Dr. Wiley and you have used up more Bubble Lead than you need to beat him. Basically you're F'd at that point.

GasBandit

Staff member
Something that only recently occurred to me... Why did Dr. Wily make a machine to fake himself being an alien as a final boss if the only person to see it would, according to plan, be killed/destroyed by it? Why the deception?