What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, fighting games are one of those genres when you really need a fighting stick or gamepad.
I used to play SF4 and even Mugen with keyboard no problem... but Injustice has a very weird default key config because it thinks you're going to try to make 2 people play on the same keyboard (who has EVER done that since SpaceWar?), so it squeezes everything into stupid configurations and makes buttons like "4" and "G" be "ok" and "Back."

What fighting game's style is Injustice comparable to? Is it like BlazBlue where you really have to be a master at it to play?
I'm not a fighting game expert, but it's made by netherrealm, the same guys that the new Mortal Kombat game (and the old too, technically, since Ed Boon is among them.) So it's comparable to that, with a juggle combo system with diminishing returns and the ability to build meter and burn meter for extended combos.

Yeah, fighting games are one of those genres when you really need a fighting stick or gamepad.
I wish the PS3 controller didn't feel so awkward for fighters. Personally I always like the 360 and Dreamcast pads for most fighters. I can't use the sticks well thanks to my hand shakes, so I tend to use the D-pads, and the PS D-pad is fucking horrible for fighting games.

The 360 D-pad is widely regarded as one of the worst on any console ever. The one on the Xbone controller is a vast improvement.[DOUBLEPOST=1405898278,1405898183][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used to play SF4 and even Mugen with keyboard no problem... but Injustice has a very weird default key config because it thinks you're going to try to make 2 people play on the same keyboard (who has EVER done that since SpaceWar?), so it squeezes everything into stupid configurations and makes buttons like "4" and "G" be "ok" and "Back."
Doing the fireball motion or full rotation on a keyboard sounds like the most awkward thing ever.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it plays most similar to the new MK, though anyone who's played a street fighter game will find the controls intuitive enough.[DOUBLEPOST=1405899377,1405899203][/DOUBLEPOST]
The 360 D-pad is widely regarded as one of the worst on any console ever. The one on the Xbone controller is a vast improvement.[DOUBLEPOST=1405898278,1405898183][/DOUBLEPOST]

Doing the fireball motion or full rotation on a keyboard sounds like the most awkward thing ever.
It's not. It's two taps of the keys and a punch. Down-forward, punch while forward is still held.

The awkward one is the dragon punch. That takes some getting used to. Forward, down, then while holding down hit forward again, then punch within a fraction of a second. I'm able to pull it off better than half the time, though.

Forget doing flash kicks, though. Since the same finger does up and down, it's pretty much impossible to hit down then up within the required time window for it to count as part of a move.

They FINALLY did away with the block button and went with back blocking. The one thing I always hated about MK was the button blocking.

Mortal Kombat I'm familiar with, but Street Fighter, not so much. I bought Street Fighter IV on 3DS during a sale in December, but really couldn't get the hang of it. Don't know why. I've become kind of shit as traditional tournament fighters anymore these days, aside from maybe Soul Calibur and I've lost my fondness for that series. Now I'm just waiting for Smash Bros and wishing Square-Enix would release a new Dissidia that supports online play. I'd actually get a Vita for that.

The 360 D-pad is widely regarded as one of the worst on any console ever. The one on the Xbone controller is a vast improvement.
As someone who can't generally hold my thumb steady enough to use the non-connected d-pads like the Dualshock, it works pretty well for me. Granted that puts me outside the norm for controller choice, though.

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening after a lot of playtime today. I'd been pushing to finish it today so I could move onto Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars without distraction, but as with last time, when I finish the incredible FE:A finale, I end up wanting to start a new game.

Finished Fire Emblem: Awakening after a lot of playtime today. I'd been pushing to finish it today so I could move onto Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars without distraction, but as with last time, when I finish the incredible FE:A finale, I end up wanting to start a new game.

I'm really on the edge about purchasing FE:A. I assume you'd recommend it?

I'm really on the edge about purchasing FE:A. I assume you'd recommend it?
I would, but it depends on what games you like. There's a free demo; I recommend downloading that to at least get an idea of how the battle system sort of works. I say sort of because important elements aren't available in the demo, such as support conversations to increase pair-up bonuses (I'm not even sure characters can pair up at all in the demo). But still, would give you an idea.

I was on the fence about it for a few months. The only FE game I'd played before was Shadow Dragon, which I liked in some regards, but ended up quitting a battle or two before the end because I was trying to keep everyone alive, and there was a battle full of archers where you pretty much accept a death was going to happen. FE:A is quite a bit more forgiving.

For me, I like that it's mostly strategic. Unfortunately, if you know some tricks, you can break the game, but that's not normally an issue on a first playthrough. It;s also fun to match up characters; and most of the characters are surprisingly likeable. Seeing differences in who you make into your team keeps me coming back and there are a number of sidequests I've never done despite having around 200 hours clocked on my 3DS. It's number 2 behind Shin Megami Tensei IV, though I have a feeling both will be dwarfed by Super Smash Bros 4 when it comes out. It's ... kind of sickening how much SSB I'm willing to play without end.

Last edited:
I've been diving back into Skyrim again. I don't think I've ever had a single player game that I've returned to as much as this game. This time, however, I'm graphic modded through the ass. 73 mods as of last count, and it looks and sounds great. It was hard to find, but I finally found a good mod for improved male models and textures in the game. 500 mods to add boob jiggle or make the females look like whores, but male improvements are hard to come by. My favorite mod is the one that is a true light source mod. The only light in the game comes from actual light sources such as torches, etc. It adds a whole new spin on the game because traveling at night is actually dangerous without light of some kind. It makes torches and spells that produce light actually useful. It also was a major factor in choosing a Kajiit as my race for the night eye ability.

It's cool as hell to shoot out a light spell over a misty water surface in the middle of the night and see it fade off into the distance.

I'm going full on rogue/assassin this time. Dual wielding daggers and bows. Sneak attacks are ungodly powerful for me right now. I also went the werewolf route as I had never tried that before.

My favorite mod is the one that is a true light source mod. The only light in the game comes from actual light sources such as torches, etc. It adds a whole new spin on the game because traveling at night is actually dangerous without light of some kind. It makes torches and spells that produce light actually useful.
That kind of thing makes me wish I had a comp that could run Skyrim. I love wandering the world and making night realistic like that sounds great.

Dual wielding daggers and bows.
You have a mod that lets you dual wield bows? :p

I've been diving back into Skyrim again. I don't think I've ever had a single player game that I've returned to as much as this game. This time, however, I'm graphic modded through the ass. 73 mods as of last count, and it looks and sounds great. It was hard to find, but I finally found a good mod for improved male models and textures in the game. 500 mods to add boob jiggle or make the females look like whores, but male improvements are hard to come by. My favorite mod is the one that is a true light source mod. The only light in the game comes from actual light sources such as torches, etc. It adds a whole new spin on the game because traveling at night is actually dangerous without light of some kind. It makes torches and spells that produce light actually useful. It also was a major factor in choosing a Kajiit as my race for the night eye ability.

It's cool as hell to shoot out a light spell over a misty water surface in the middle of the night and see it fade off into the distance.

I'm going full on rogue/assassin this time. Dual wielding daggers and bows. Sneak attacks are ungodly powerful for me right now. I also went the werewolf route as I had never tried that before.
That light source mod sounds like an awesome idea, which mod is it?

That light source mod sounds like an awesome idea, which mod is it?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7914

It does not change enemy behavior at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1405917770,1405917703][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good point. Being able to hide in the dark is important when playing a stealthy character; if enemy and your own perspectives on darkness are different, the mod could cause issues.
This is not the way stealth works in Skyrim.

It was hard to find, but I finally found a good mod for improved male models and textures in the game.
Which better male mod are you using? The only one you usually see is Better Males.

I'm coming back to Skyrim pretty hard as well lately. I just had to reinstall due to messing up my game by carelessly overmodding. It always seems to be a mod that changes the monster tables that irreparably screws up my game. Every time I add a monster mod of some sort, end up not liking it, then trying to remove it I seem to fuck up Skyrim. So, I'm starting frash.

Last edited:
Which better male mod are you using? The only one you usually see is Better Males.

I'm coming back to Skyrim pretty hard as well lately. I just had to reinstall due to messing up my game by carelessly overmodding. It always seems to be a mod that changes the monster tables that irreparably screws up my game. Every time I add a monster mod of some sort, end up not liking it, then trying to remove it I seem to fuck up Skyrim. So, I'm starting frash.
Yeah, it's Better Males. I don't think there even is another one.

I used an adrenaline mod for Morrowind for a while, but it had trouble with stats near the max. When you were lower level, it was great to get a temporary boost to a stat or two when you were in the thick of things, but when you were at max level it wouldn't be able to boost you past the maximum...but it would be able to drag you back down once it wore off, so you'd have to train it back up again just because it couldn't do proper bounds checking.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Stealth was really overpowered in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I had a 4 (not four dots, a four) in stealth and I could literally touch and push around the bad guys and not be detected. Even the chinese vampires couldn't see me. The western vampires could see me, but that was it.

Well, at least in Vampire the Masquerade it can be justified as being more invisibility or minor hypnotism than sneaking in the shadows and have it be realistic to the canon.

Dave

Staff member
I've been playing a LOT of Skyrim lately and will be subscribing to that mod. Right now I'm playing a complete mage who has never held a weapon - not even one that was conjured. I rely a lot on my conjured creatures and Lydia.

He also does not sneak.