What are you playing?

NES games are notorious for their level of difficulty. Partially because the industry was just learning how to transition from the arcades where difficulty was artificially ramped up to encourage quarter feeding.

I usually started with Magnet Man in MM3, his weapon is pretty nice and he's got one of the easier patterns to deal with when all you have is the MBuster.

Also, this is easily the hardest NES game I own.

figmentPez

Staff member
NES games are notorious for their level of difficulty. Partially because the industry was just learning how to transition from the arcades where difficulty was artificially ramped up to encourage quarter feeding.
And also because of rental companies insisting that games be too difficult to beat over a weekend.

And also because of rental companies insisting that games be too difficult to beat over a weekend.
I think it had more to do with the companies wanting their short games to seem longer. Nintendo couldn't give one holy fart about rental places during the NES era and fought tooth and nail to see the practice made illegal.

I think it had more to do with the companies wanting their short games to seem longer. Nintendo couldn't give one holy fart about rental places during the NES era and fought tooth and nail to see the practice made illegal.
That sounds more like the Nintendo I've known my whole life. Their opinions on viral marketing and let's plays are a bit dated too.

As for length, I can get that. If I had Mega Man 2 when I was a kid, it probably would've taken me years to beat (especially that second to last section with all the bosses + Wily). Nowadays almost everything I struggled with back then feels much easier, and funny enough the main thing I used to be a pro at, Sonic games, I suck now. I suck horribly.

But more importantly, I remember the early days of the PS2, blowing what I'd scraped together on a new game, only to have beaten it four hours later (fuck you, Zone of the Enders). Small wonder JRPGs were what my friends and I gravitated towards; get one of those and you were set for months.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sorry, I had it backwards. Nintendo and other publishers wanted the games too difficult to beat over a weekend in order to make them less appealing for rental companies. They didn't want renting to be a viable option for playing a game.

fade

Staff member
Fallout: New Vegas.
I know i will catch hell for this, but I enjoy the fallout series so much more than the elder scrolls series. Gameplay is roughly the same, but the story is just more interesting. To me. Holy carp, if I don't clarify that's my personal opinion.

Anyway, Bethesda games always have these quirks that bug me. Like its 204 years after the war right? How are there any car bodies left ? Okay maybe in Nevada but surely not DC. How are the lights on? And why the hell do none of the survivors clean and paint? Who lights the dungeon torches in the elder scrolls?

They are both excellent. Fallout is TES with guns. I find Fallout to have a better storyline but TES was prettier.

I hope their next gen games will have even better and HOPEFULLY more stable engines. Fallout 4 "may be in the works". The next TES won't be here for at least 5 years.

I know i will catch hell for this, but I enjoy the fallout series so much more than the elder scrolls series. Gameplay is roughly the same, but the story is just more interesting. To me. Holy carp, if I don't clarify that's my personal opinion.

Anyway, Bethesda games always have these quirks that bug me. Like its 204 years after the war right? How are there any car bodies left ? Okay maybe in Nevada but surely not DC. How are the lights on? And why the hell do none of the survivors clean and paint? Who lights the dungeon torches in the elder scrolls?
You aren't going to catch hell for this. Fallout is fantastic, but different than Elder Scrolls. Even if they are the same type of game, it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.[DOUBLEPOST=1399221241,1399221190][/DOUBLEPOST]
They are both excellent. Fallout is TES with guns. I find Fallout to have a better storyline but TES was prettier.

I hope their next gen games will have even better and HOPEFULLY more stable engines. Fallout 4 "may be in the works". The next TES won't be here for at least 5 years.
There is no maybe about this. They already have voice actors doing stuff. It's supposedly going to be in the Commonwealth, so we'll be in Massachusetts this time.

Yeah, I don't think it's a weird thing to like Fallout better than ES. I think I probably like Fallout a tiny bit better but really, it's to close to call.

Burial at Sea Part 2: Before I really note my opinion, what were the reasons that people didn't like this one again? What were the plot holes everyone was talking about?

Burial at Sea Part 2: Before I really note my opinion, what were the reasons that people didn't like this one again? What were the plot holes everyone was talking about?
I don't think that it's so much the plot holes, as it unnecessarily directly connected the stories of Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. They didn't need to be tied together... each stood on it's own. But connected it makes both fundamentally worse because it had to be done in such a haphazard way. I only have one real complaint...

By making Daisy's actions the plan of the Luteces, it undermines her as a character. She ONLY did what she did to be killed by Elizabeth, because apparently that was what needed to happen. This not only makes her as much of a pawn as every other character in that story, it destroys her as a villain.

You aren't supposed to sympathize with Vox Populai. I literally had to have a 2 hour bitchfest at a friend about this because his entire argument to justify their actions boiled down to "But they are fighting racist white people." Daisy is just as much a villain as Comstock. You don't get to be morally superior when you are killing EVERYONE in the streets... man, woman, and child.

Regarding the apparent inconsistencies regarding the setting in Fallout, it's generally believed that Bethesda had originally planned on setting Fallout 3 just a few years after the Great War. That explains why there's still radiation everywhere, why people are still struggling to eke out a living, why you can still scavenge pre-war food from supermarkets and military bases, etc. But they realized that if they do that, they wouldn't be able to use the factions and characters that people are already familiar with (Enclave, BoS, etc), so they decided to move the date two hundred years into the future, without changing much else.

I don't think that it's so much the plot holes, as it unnecessarily directly connected the stories of Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. They didn't need to be tied together... each stood on it's own. But connected it makes both fundamentally worse because it had to be done in such a haphazard way. I only have one real complaint...

By making Daisy's actions the plan of the Luteces, it undermines her as a character. She ONLY did what she did to be killed by Elizabeth, because apparently that was what needed to happen. This not only makes her as much of a pawn as every other character in that story, it destroys her as a villain.

You aren't supposed to sympathize with Vox Populai. I literally had to have a 2 hour bitchfest at a friend about this because his entire argument to justify their actions boiled down to "But they are fighting racist white people." Daisy is just as much a villain as Comstock. You don't get to be morally superior when you are killing EVERYONE in the streets... man, woman, and child.
This makes sense. I did worry about the plot issue regarding Daisy being ruined as a character as well. I honestly didn't understand what exactly the Leuteces were attempting to accomplish in the long run. They start to seem more like villains themselves.

That's something that drives me nuts about Fallout 3 and NV. The original 2 games had post apocalyptic shitzones as well as rebuilt areas. The fact that there is still rubble strewn everywhere in people's homes is ridiculous.

It feels like certain characters

Daisy, Elizabeth, Suchong, even Andrew Ryan

are brought back solely to alter them away from who they are in their original games. The meshing of connections, especially the ending and what Elizabeth is doing this for, come off as bad fanfic because of how much things had to be stretched to mix them together. I get where Levine was going--he wanted to mix the best elements of each game, the protagonists of Infinite with the antagonists of Bioshock, but each game has a different atmosphere and internal logic. Mixing them together makes each weaker. I know people were giggling about the Ryan the Lion stuff, but it comes off as Comstock's style of propaganda. It also reeks of self-aggrandizing at times. When Elizabeth has a vision of Suchong's office, she has a creeped out "I don't like this place" conversation with HeadBooker. Nothing much happened there though--it's significant to us as players, but not for Elizabeth. A reaction like hers would make more sense if her vision had been of the Little Sister conditioning rooms.

As for plot holes ...

The voice actor clearly didn't forget that Atlas is Fontaine, but it seems like Ken Levine did. Fontaine was heavily involved in the baby project; to the point that Jack's given name is Andreas Fontaine. He knew Jack's commands. There was no reason he needed Elizabeth to go fetching the command.

The Daisy one is already mentioned. It's a character issue, yes, but it also doesn't make sense. Levine was trying to make her seem less bad and ended up making the scene into nonsense.

The whole "lion with a thorn in his paw" thing would've been fine if it was just for Songbird, but we already know from Bioshock that there is a pheromone scent, because Jack needs it in order to get the Little Sisters' help. If this was a trust issue, there would have been no reason for that in the first game.

The biggest problem, of course, is that at the end of Infinite, Booker is killed at the baptism choice, removing all Bookers who would have chosen baptism and leaving only those who would have walked away without it. No Columbia. No Comstock. No Elizabeth. None of them should have happened, and yet there's Columbia in a tear from Rapture, as if the ending to Infinite never happened.

I got both Acts of The Protomen's albums.

Act II, I don't know where to start. I think I like Act I more, but Act II just builds and builds, and has some phenomenal pieces and lyrics. And though the music and such would stand out by itself, this is one hell of a good story. It has a lot of rich elements of tragedy and deep themes involving hero worship, complacency, mob mentality, responsibility. The good intentions at Act II's opening are an amazing sort of humble beginnings. Dr. Wily's antagonism comes in waves too, from personal betrayal to secret police to militarized police state. Looking from Act II and back into Act I, even Dr. Light starts to regress again after Protoman's death, ready to be complacent with the people so he can protect his second son. Though I wish I'd gotten into the Mega Man games earlier, I don't regret ignorance of this because now I'm eager for Act III, and apparently Act I came out 9 or 10 years ago. That's a long wait.

But on the playing subject, Mega Man 3 might also be called "these weapons are useless". Look at me, I can ... shoot crawly snakes. I'm being facetious; not everyone's weapon can be as useful as Metal Man's, and I'm sure these weapons will come in handy at one time or another. I was surprised when the final boss of Mega Man 2 was vulnerable only to Bubble Man's weapon. I'm just annoyed that I fought through Top Man, Spark Man, and Snake Man only using the buster. I was grinning when I tried Spark Man's weapon on Magnet Man and it started chopping him down.

Yeah... there is generally a weapon that is used like Metal Man's in every game: high amount of uses, decent damage. The Shadow Blades and Magnet Missiles both have similar uses in 3, while I think the Needle Cannon has the high amount of uses thing. You will never get one as good as Metal Blades though.

Yeah... there is generally a weapon that is used like Metal Man's in every game: high amount of uses, decent damage. The Shadow Blades and Magnet Missiles both have similar uses in 3, while I think the Needle Cannon has the high amount of uses thing. You will never get one as good as Metal Blades though.
That's okay; it was kind of overpowered.

That's okay; it was kind of overpowered.
It really isn't. Metal Blades were just highly useful because you got so many of them and they could be fired in any direction. But once you get the chargeable Mega Buster starting in MM4 you really don't need stuff like that so much... any time you aren't firing you can just charge up a strong, penetrating shot while you can dodge.

It really isn't. Metal Blades were just highly useful because you got so many of them and they could be fired in any direction. But once you get the chargeable Mega Buster starting in MM4 you really don't need stuff like that so much... any time you aren't firing you can just charge up a strong, penetrating shot while you can dodge.
Overpowered may have been the wrong word. They just seemed to make some other weapons less useful (like the Quick Man boomerang) except when coming against a boss with only one weakness. But that's the nature of the game; it'd be ridiculous to have each weapon on a map need different weapons to beat.

A review I read said the chargeable Mega Buster makes MM4 too easy and that it's better not to use it.

I think I'm going to get MM4 and MM5 as well, though I'll probably play MMX first. MM6 I'm on the fence about; a lot of people seem to like it, but a common complaint is that it's too easy.

MM3 is kicking my ass. Have I really fallen so far? I beat my first boss, Magnet man, went to needle man's stage and got obliterated.

MM3 is kicking my ass. Have I really fallen so far? I beat my first boss, Magnet man, went to needle man's stage and got obliterated.
Top Man was pretty simple for me. Snake Man isn't too bad, but the last part of his stage can be a bitch.

But I know what you mean. I'm refusing to use restore points right now, and hoping my resolve won't break before the end ... but I doubt it. Next time I go through MM2, I'll try not to use them either.

Gods, I love these games. I really can't express my gratitude enough to you guys on this. To think I would've spent $35 on Kirby for a lackluster experience; for that much I can get MM2-6, plus X. And I see the Wii U VC has X2. I'm gonna end up spending all my eshop credit before Smash Bros comes out at this rate.

Okay, yeah, fuck Needle Man. Though the magnet eats through a lot of stuff in the stage, it's useless against him. He purposely hops on top of you.

Think I'm going to try another stage before going back to him.[DOUBLEPOST=1399349313,1399348932][/DOUBLEPOST]
I say keep on going along with the other MMs, too. I don't remember why, but I always had a fondness for IV, myself.
It sounds like the worst crime IV and V commit is that they don't add much. I'm okay with that; I have to be as a Nintendo fan :p.

Last edited:
It sounds like the worst crime IV and V commit is that they don't add much. I'm okay with that; I have to be as a Nintendo fan :p.
That's pretty much it exactly. They don't exactly break the mold like the earlier games did. It's basically more of the same, but with some different and still unique and fun bosses. I don't recall they're as hard as the earlier games, either. But yeah, basically more of the same, but that same is still awesome.

4 adds the charged buster. It super trivializes the regular boss weapons. Wasn't a fan of that.
And it's something they never really "fixed" until the X series. There, certain weapons had certain extra effects on bosses, even if they weren't the boss'es weakness. For instance, the boomerangs from Boomer Kuwanger can cut off Flame Mammoth's trunk (stopping his oil attack) but the Storm Tornado is actually his weakness.

And it's something they never really "fixed" until the X series. There, certain weapons had certain extra effects on bosses, even if they weren't the boss'es weakness. For instance, the boomerangs from Boomer Kuwanger can cut off Flame Mammoth's trunk (stopping his oil attack) but the Storm Tornado is actually his weakness.
Well, yeah, and that's exactly why we all love X.

Playing Borderlands 2 again with my wife. We still haven't played through completely, but I'm hoping we can keep at it now that we've gotten back into it.

Also playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode. I'm surprised how it's not really that difficult. Maybe it's just me.

I've been kinda putting off Skyrim, I really want to get into it, but with work, school, family, and now a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game I'm going to be running I just don't feel like I'll ever really have the time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Playing Borderlands 2 again with my wife. We still haven't played through completely, but I'm hoping we can keep at it now that we've gotten back into it.

Also playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode. I'm surprised how it's not really that difficult. Maybe it's just me.

I've been kinda putting off Skyrim, I really want to get into it, but with work, school, family, and now a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game I'm going to be running I just don't feel like I'll ever really have the time.
From what I've heard you say in the past, I'd keep milking that Borderlands itch of hers as much as possible. If you can get her more into co-op, it can be the gateway into more gaming in general.