What are you playing?

The Hounds is probably my all time favorite villain song.
"When I say he was a monster,
When I set fire to his name.
It doesn't matter where you hear it from,
Whether truth or lies, gets said all the same.

Whatever's on the table plays!"

Those lines are genius.

I'm gonna have to download all of that stuff. I'm a fan now. I wish I'd known how great this series was when I was a kid.

Question: why am I skipping the first Mega Man to go forward with MM3? Any reason in particular?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm gonna have to download all of that stuff. I'm a fan now. I wish I'd known how great this series was when I was a kid.

Question: why am I skipping the first Mega Man to go forward with MM3? Any reason in particular?
They hadn't really figured out how to Mega Man in Mega Man 1. 2 is where it really hit its stride. Really, I like 2 better than 3, but 3 was still pretty darn good. After that, Mega Man X.

Mega Man 2 was really the one where they got their stride. The first Mega Man is very rough around the edges and infuriatingly difficult, moreso than how Mega Man normally is.

Okay then; MM3 it is. Purchasing ...

Bravely Default: Fine, I take back all the shit I said about the BP system. Buying SP with real money is still dumb, but it's not like I have to do it. I get the system now, it's a lot fun, and thanks to everyone who played through it already--I like having a handful of summons at the beginning.

Knowing about what you have to do (multiple times) later in the game just makes the fairy's pleas at the beginning even funnier. "Please promise you'll see it through to the end! No matter what we make you do or how many times we ask you to do it!" :D

MM1 is still fun, but it is hard. You can definitely get some enjoyment out of it but it's not as polished as the entries that came after.

I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII. I like it, but I think I've been playing too much, because I find myself waiting for a random encounter while browsing the web.

Last edited:
MM1 is still fun, but it is hard. You can definitely get some enjoyment out of it but it's not as polished as the entries that came after.
I watched a speed run; didn't look like I was missing much. Even just watching, I could see the lack of polish you mention. I have MM3 on my 3DS now.

Listening to The Protomen - Act I now. This is fucking awesome. Probably too awesome for this late at night; I need to get un-pumped by midnight. I'll have to check out The Megas at another time.

I watched a speed run; didn't look like I was missing much. Even just watching, I could see the lack of polish you mention. I have MM3 on my 3DS now.

Listening to The Protomen - Act I now. This is fucking awesome. Probably too awesome for this late at night; I need to get un-pumped by midnight. I'll have to check out The Megas at another time.
The official lyrics sheet for both albums also include 'stage directions' which give a bit more insight into what's going on.

Yes... there is a reason they suggest you buy the physical albums. Without the liner notes, you only have half the story.
Yeah I listened to them way too many times digitally, without liner notes, not realizing what I was missing. It's so much cooler when you can sit there and envision the story in your head as you listen/read along.

Ahem, I am a Lit major--I can analyze and glean what's happening!

... I'm probably wrong, but that's how Literature works. I'm gonna buy the mp3 versions, but I'll read the notes online. Having listened to both, I prefer The Protomen waaaaay over The Megas. That song Gas posted was cool, but I tried listening to the rest of the album and the songs kind of reminded me of the soundtrack to Sonic Adventure 2. Not my thing. But I'm going to buy both Protomen Acts and sit with everyone else eagerly awaiting Act III.

Dark Souls: I think I'm ready to throw in the towel. I like A GOOD challenge, but marching through the same enemies the 10th, 20th, etc. time to get my ass kicked by a boss once more is getting tedious and repetitive. For some reason, this exact same thing doesn't bother me in 2D platformer games, but in Dark Souls I keep finding myself eager to stop playing, which is not how I want to feel when playing any video game. Which means I'll probably be fine with Shovel Knight when it eventually comes out, but this one's just ... I think I'm done. My wife keeps asking "why do you enjoy this?" as I'm cursing at the screen. When she said something similar for Donkey Kong Country Returns, I told her I was having fun. When she asked for Dark Souls, I said I didn't know.

And I know this sounds like the ultimate puss-out, but I'm thinking of returning it so I can buy the new Kirby game ... you know, the platformer for babies. Which I have to wonder if it will be at all satisfying when I have Mega Man and Donkey Kong Country Returns ...

The Mega Man 3 Megas album is leagues better than the Mega Man 2 album. But I'd wait until you play Mega Man 3 to listen to it. They still haven't released the second half of it yet anyway.

Dark Souls: I think I'm ready to throw in the towel. I like A GOOD challenge, but marching through the same enemies the 10th, 20th, etc. time to get my ass kicked by a boss once more is getting tedious and repetitive. For some reason, this exact same thing doesn't bother me in 2D platformer games, but in Dark Souls I keep finding myself eager to stop playing, which is not how I want to feel when playing any video game. Which means I'll probably be fine with Shovel Knight when it eventually comes out, but this one's just ... I think I'm done. My wife keeps asking "why do you enjoy this?" as I'm cursing at the screen. When she said something similar for Donkey Kong Country Returns, I told her I was having fun. When she asked for Dark Souls, I said I didn't know.
This is something they adjusted in Dark Souls 2. Some mobs will always respawn, but other mobs will stop respawning if you've killed them 10-15 times. This is to keep some areas of the game from becoming choke points, like the infamous Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo were for so many.

Have you been summoning people in for help? If you can't handle an area by yourself, go human and summon help. If you've died so many times that you don't have humanity to use, drop YOUR sign and help someone else out. Not only will helping someone else let you learn the area in a risk free manner, you earn souls for every enemy you kill, you don't lose those souls if you die, AND you get humanity if you help them defeat a boss. Seriously... the best way to conquer Dark Souls is to engage in jolly cooperation!

13196712103188.png

So there I am, wandering through Skyrim on my modded game, when something apparently bugs up, and this happens:
ScreenShot43.jpg

That, in case you can't tell, is a dragon that's spawned inside a cave. The limited space to maneuver coupled with the fact that I'm playing with the Deadly Dragons mod, which makes dragons much tougher, and I must've died to this guy at least a dozen times. Oh, and it was lots of fun watching him chomp on all the Falmer.

This is something they adjusted in Dark Souls 2. Some mobs will always respawn, but other mobs will stop respawning if you've killed them 10-15 times. This is to keep some areas of the game from becoming choke points, like the infamous Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo were for so many.

Have you been summoning people in for help? If you can't handle an area by yourself, go human and summon help. If you've died so many times that you don't have humanity to use, drop YOUR sign and help someone else out. Not only will helping someone else let you learn the area in a risk free manner, you earn souls for every enemy you kill, you don't lose those souls if you die, AND you get humanity if you help them defeat a boss. Seriously... the best way to conquer Dark Souls is to engage in jolly cooperation!
Maybe I will get Dark Souls 2 sometime in the future then, but I've already returned the first one. Just thinking about trying to work my way through the Depths a 20th time made me irritable. I did try to bring someone in, but I kept getting invaded, and that made me angrier than dealing with the damn bosses.

Though I didn't get Kirby Triple Deluxe; that can wait for a sale (a sizable one). Instead I got an eshop card for more Mega Man and eventually Shovel Knight.

I'm playing payday 2 with friends having a great time. Also I'm playing another game of rotk 11 as the dastardly yuan shu. Lastly sir you're bring hunted got released and u have been playing that as well. It's a kickstarter success.

Also I have been playing peekaboo coop with my daughter.

Maybe I will get Dark Souls 2 sometime in the future then, but I've already returned the first one. Just thinking about trying to work my way through the Depths a 20th time made me irritable. I did try to bring someone in, but I kept getting invaded, and that made me angrier than dealing with the damn bosses.

Though I didn't get Kirby Triple Deluxe; that can wait for a sale (a sizable one). Instead I got an eshop card for more Mega Man and eventually Shovel Knight.
Oh dude... if you had just said it was the Depths, I'd have just shown you a video on how to get through it in like 3-4 minutes. If you take the waste chute behind the Butchers right at the start (by the Ember), you end up in a room with a giant rat. Kill the Giant rat and you'll notice on one side is like a waterfall/chasm that has smooth ramps going down. You slide down the left ramp, hugging the wall, and you are just one room away from Gaping Dragon, the boss.

Though really... if you thought the Depths was tough, you'd have snapped your controller in frustration at Undead Crypt, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, or the Tomb of the Giants. Getting out early may have been the right call.

Oh dude... if you had just said it was the Depths, I'd have just shown you a video on how to get through it in like 3-4 minutes. If you take the waste chute behind the Butchers right at the start (by the Ember), you end up in a room with a giant rat. Kill the Giant rat and you'll notice on one side is like a waterfall/chasm that has smooth ramps going down. You slide down the left ramp, hugging the wall, and you are just one room away from Gaping Dragon, the boss.

Though really... if you thought the Depths was tough, you'd have snapped your controller in frustration at Undead Crypt, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, or the Tomb of the Giants. Getting out early may have been the right call.
I reached the Gaping Dragon. I would've happily fought him as many times as needed until I won, if that didn't also involve all the other crap I had to do to get there, again and again. The guy at Gamestop mentioned Anor Londo as a point people tend to get to when they call it quits, so yeah, it might've been good to stop it then. Like I said, I'll try Dark Souls 2 in the future since it fixed the respawn issues a bit.

So, I'm about 2 hours in on AC2 Revelations and... boy does this game defy me to like it. The camera's wonky as hell, dumb ass tower defense game, I HATE the whole Animus Island thing, and above all.... seriously, why the hell change controls after 3 games???? I think I'll stick with it, though. I'm digging the hook blade, and the characters are still interesting.

So, I'm about 2 hours in on AC2 Revelations and... boy does this game defy me to like it. The camera's wonky as hell, dumb ass tower defense game, I HATE the whole Animus Island thing, and above all.... seriously, why the hell change controls after 3 games???? I think I'll stick with it, though. I'm digging the hook blade, and the characters are still interesting.
I totally forgot about the control change and how much that pissed me off. The night we got the game, I started ranting. Now, I wasn't going to quit because my wife and I were invested in Ezio's story, but Revelations is mostly garbage.

However, there's a scene near the end that I thought made sifting through the trash worth it. And I agree that the hook blade is fun.

Mega Man 3: My strategy is to probe at the levels until I can find a first one to beat. Top Man was it, but I cannot find a use for his power. I really wish Capcom hadn't insisted on flashing lights and things for the backgrounds. While it gives the game a vibrant feel sometimes, mostly is just makes the framerate drop when the action gets busy. I'm worried how this is going to be when I have to deal with bosses later in the game.

So, I'm under the impression I am not supposed to bother with MM4, MM5, and MM6?

4, 5, and 6 aren't BAD games. They are perfectly fine. They just aren't as great as 2 and 3.

I'd skip 7 unless you REALLY need to see how Bass joins the story. 8 is kind of a rehash of Megaman and Bass, but without being able to play as Bass, so I'd skip it too.

9 and 10 are excellent.

I guess I'll see once I finish MM3. It might be a while; I'm not in any hurry and it's kicking my ass.

Speaking of kicking my ass, I tried getting back into the original NES Zelda. I got through level 5, but level 6 has me ready to give up. I know I beat this part once, but I got to the boss before realizing I never got the bow back in Level 1, so I had to go do that. These wizards ... I've had to steer my already-in-motion fist into my knee so I didn't end up punching my 3DS.