What are you playing?

Yeah, I found "Hold Back the Night" from PAX 2012. The other song, "Built to Last," apparently is not part of Act 3 and won't be on the album.

I'll have to check out The Megas MM3; I didn't care for the MM2 album, but maybe the next will be appealing to me. It's just The Protomen albums--I could not be into Mega Man at all (like my wife) and still adore that stuff. I love Arjen Lucassen's work and it strongly resembles that.
I got into the Protomen first, and then got into the mega man games. They're so awesome, they made me a fan without ever having played the games (well, except the X games... so in my mind I just replaced Protoman with Zero and the narrative made sense.)

I got into the Protomen first, and then got into the mega man games. They're so awesome, they made me a fan without ever having played the games (well, except the X games... so in my mind I just replaced Protoman with Zero and the narrative made sense.)
Speaking of which, I'm waiting to see if Mega Man X will be one of Club Nintendo's free games for May since it's "Mega May" for Nintendo. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'd feel like an ass if I bought it and then it was the free game later today.

Club Nintendo offers Super Metroid again (as seen on the last page, I already got that freebie from them), so looks like I'll be buying Mega Man X with my eshop credit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Found out custom plane camo patterns (skins, for all intents and purposes) are only visible locally/client side, and no other players can see your custom paint job. I'm both disappointed by that, and yet somehow grateful for that.

I bought GotY edition, so I'm pretty sure I do.
Yeah, you probably do then.

Broken Steel adds some pretty tough high-level enemies. Huge bullet sponges, and do some nasty damage too. They'll take away that "this is too easy" feeling quite quickly.

And if that's not enough, then head to Point Lookout. It's meant to be the ultimate end-game content for Fallout 3.

Really? I thought you were supposed to go there around level 16.
Oh heavens no. The enemies there, including the Tribals and the Swampfolk, all do an unblockable 35 damage per hit. This is in addition to the normal damage they do with their weapons, which is significant already. They also have high levels of health, for example the toughestTribals have more health than Super Mutant Masters. The Swamplurks are also significantly harder than their Capital Wasteland counterparts. In particular, Swamplurk Queens hit nearly twice as hard as Mirelurk Kings, and have nearly twice as much health.

You can, of course, head to Point Lookout early if you want. But the toughness of the enemies, almost to the point of being cheesily unfair, makes it more enjoyable to head in at a high level, when you can stand against the enemies there on a more equal footing.

Personally, I played it on a PC Keyboard.
I've tried that with games like this, but found I need a controller. It's just what I'm used to for this kind of game.

My feelings about it so far are mixed. On the one hand, it makes some huge improvements on the older games, such as even having shoulder buttons that can be used for switching weapons, firing (which makes jumping and firing a lot easier), the subtle changes to X's outfit with upgrades, the ability to find improvements to armor and health, secret areas. The wall jumping is welcome. On the other hand, some parts feel more Streets of Rage than Mega Man. Things that probably should have been improved are absent, such as being able to save your game instead of using the password system. Some of the levels leave a bit to be desired in their design.

Having said that though, I'm actually glad it's not all just "Mega Man, but better" and is instead more its own thing, because this way I can enjoy it as its own thing and not feel like I'm experiencing something lesser when I go back to play the NES games I've been enjoying for the last few weeks.

GasBandit

Staff member
Still War Thunder. Sometimes the damn sovietanium reinforcement is so freaking obvious. Was chasing an IL-4 (long range twin engine bomber) in an F6F-3 Hellcat. Admittedly not the most agile of fighters, but the IL-4 shouldn't be able to out-turn it so easily. Once he turned his wings perpendicular with the ground and pulled the yoke all the way back, I just couldn't keep up with the turns. It was sick. It was like he'd borrowed the F-39 Airacobra's flight model. Now I know what people are talking about when they say the russians have UFOs in their hangars. Even their own documentation says the IL-4's turn time is 20 seconds longer than the F6F's (42 vs 22 seconds)

Still War Thunder. Sometimes the damn sovietanium reinforcement is so freaking obvious. Was chasing an IL-4 (long range twin engine bomber) in an F6F-3 Hellcat. Admittedly not the most agile of fighters, but the IL-4 shouldn't be able to out-turn it so easily. Once he turned his wings perpendicular with the ground and pulled the yoke all the way back, I just couldn't keep up with the turns. It was sick. It was like he'd borrowed the F-39 Airacobra's flight model. Now I know what people are talking about when they say the russians have UFOs in their hangars. Even their own documentation says the IL-4's turn time is 20 seconds longer than the F6F's (42 vs 22 seconds)
I don't know what you're talking about, Russian developers are the most balanced in the world!

South Park The Stick of Truth: A fun RPG slathered with South Park goodness. I am going to play it in constrained intervals from now on, as all RPGs suck me into the zone for a long period of time.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know what you're talking about, Russian developers are the most balanced in the world!
Of course! Completely balanced and historically accurate, just like the I-153 Chaika I just watched shoot down a mother fucking B-17.

For those not following along, that's one of these -

Just shot down the most notoriously well defended bomber in the entire war, the B-17 flying fortress.

Pure sovietanium-reinforced stalinwood. That's why the russians completely won all of WW2 on all fronts with minimal losses!

figmentPez

Staff member
Still working my way through Skyward Sword and I'm slowly coming to terms with the controls. I still think they're crap, and the combat feels even worse than Twilight Princess, but I'm not feeling like I want to scream at the TV constantly. The combat in Wind Waker was so good; it was fast, fluid and felt responsive. This is just clunky, and feels like the design is at odds with the actual capabilities of the motion sensor.

But what almost drove me to stop playing was the dreadful music in the Lanayru Mines. Two notes, over and over and over and over. In the background, constant, harsh and quick. It just drove needles into my brain. Holy crap, why did anyone think this sounded good enough to play on repeat? If I have to go back there I might just quit.

Still working my way through Skyward Sword and I'm slowly coming to terms with the controls. I still think they're crap, and the combat feels even worse than Twilight Princess, but I'm not feeling like I want to scream at the TV constantly. The combat in Wind Waker was so good; it was fast, fluid and felt responsive. This is just clunky, and feels like the design is at odds with the actual capabilities of the motion sensor.
Exactly! I had just come off Wind Waker, and my hands would not accept this shit.

But what almost drove me to stop playing was the dreadful music in the Lanayru Mines. Two notes, over and over and over and over. In the background, constant, harsh and quick. It just drove needles into my brain. Holy crap, why did anyone think this sounded good enough to play on repeat? If I have to go back there I might just quit.
At first I was like "this isn't too bad, but I see what he means; my wife would be asking me to mute it for this part."

... but then it kept going.

*insert Scanners gif here*

Because, you know, every other time she's faced Ridley, it's resulted in a flashback to her childhood and leaving herself open for attack. At this point in the timeline, she's fought Ridley in Metroid, the Metroid Prime games, fought him as a cyborg, then some more in Super Metroid, and yet only now does his reappearance causes her to turn into a whimpering do-nothing? This is the same woman who stormed the Metroid homeworld alone and killed nearly every last creature one by one? Argh ...
You know... a lot of people complain about this point, but it's basically the only thing in the entire game that actually makes sense. Samus has killed Ridley DOZENS of times... and yet he comes back each time, stronger than ever like he's some kind of Space Jason Voorhees. This is the guy who murdered her parents... and despite blowing him to pieces every time he shows up, he keeps coming back and try and kill her. How would you react to that? Would you go "No big deal" and keep firing? Or would you FREAK THE FUCK OUT after this happened a dozen times?

Samus having mental issues over Ridley is perfectly acceptable, considering their history. Nothing else in the fucking game makes a like of sense though.

You know... a lot of people complain about this point, but it's basically the only thing in the entire game that actually makes sense. Samus has killed Ridley DOZENS of times... and yet he comes back each time, stronger than ever like he's some kind of Space Jason Voorhees. This is the guy who murdered her parents... and despite blowing him to pieces every time he shows up, he keeps coming back and try and kill her. How would you react to that? Would you go "No big deal" and keep firing? Or would you FREAK THE FUCK OUT after this happened a dozen times?

Samus having mental issues over Ridley is perfectly acceptable, considering their history. Nothing else in the fucking game makes a like of sense though.
I feel like that reaction would make sense the second time it happened; or if she was having an emotional reaction in this incident, it would be shock over how many times she's had to deal with him, not back to the starting trauma of her parents being killed.

But you're right; it's nowhere near the worst thing in the game.

I still haven't finished that damn game. I'm stuck on a fight with Ghirahim that requires some pretty precise use of the slashing mechanics and it's pissed me off so many times I still haven't gone back yet.

figmentPez

Staff member
I still haven't finished that damn game. I'm stuck on a fight with Ghirahim that requires some pretty precise use of the slashing mechanics and it's pissed me off so many times I still haven't gone back yet.
I've only finished the first Ghirahim battle, and I'm dreading the next two. Most of the time I've resorted to the motion-control equivalent of button mashing. For Staldra and Lizalfos, I find it's a lot more effective to just all out attack than it is to try for any sort of finesse. Especially since the Wiimote seems to get confused by fast motion, anyway.

CUBE Tactics: I put off getting this game to avoid an impulse purchase. Over time, it's nagged at me. I saw two possible outcomes.

A. I enjoyed the game
B. I wasted my money

To my surprise, it's both A and B. A, because it's actually a fun little game, and B because it is a fun LITTLE game. I breezed through all but one mission of it over the course of the day, even what Miiverse considers to be near-impossible missions. I feel like the single player was supposed to teach you different mechanics and units in preparation for the multi-player, but there is no multi-player community. Without people coming in consistently looking to play, there's no point. I tried the equivalent of a multi-player match with the comp, but that's not much different than starting a game of Starcraft FFA, everyone else is bots.

So, a multi-player game that no one plays. That's a dead game to me. I mean, at least I finished it, but it did not take me long.

Necronic

Staff member
I'm going to adjust my statement on Dominions 4 being a great 4x game.

Dominions 4 is the single greatest 4x game ever made.

Still working on hitting cap in Borderlands with Twiggy. We're about 48 now, and we have DLC to get through too before finally getting to BL2.
Almost finished with Dust. Finally got the final special move, so I'm collecting all the bits in each zone.
Started and almost finished Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons. Such a beautiful game! The controls are unique, and I'm going to have to go through again for all the fun little achievements.
Started Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy finally. Picked it up a couple week ago, but because I have a bad habit of starting Layton games, and babying them when I get to the end, and taking a while to finally finish the games, I actually let my best friend play it first. She usually waits patiently as I finish them and then quickly plays through them herself. She's not much of a gamer, but enjoys Layton, Animal Crossing, Lego games, etc... so since she was not playing anything at the time, and I had a lot more to play, it made more sense to have her play first! Anyway, my turn now, and I've just barely gotten into it. Maybe 5 puzzles in so far, but of course I'm loving it already! Yay puzzles!