What are you playing?

Here's a post I made earlier in this thread about my thoughts while playing Revelations.

And here's my spoilery review from after I finished it.

Long story short, I consider it the weakest of the Ezio games. Obviously rushed, surprisingly buggy, and lacks depth in terms of gameplay content. However, I still think it's a pretty decent game. The core gameplay's very similar to AC2 and AC:B, though with some interesting additions, so if you liked the previous two games you'll probably feel quite at home here. (Although there are also a few gameplay additions that make no sense, and suck in general) Also, while the story's not great, there are several moments with genuine emotional impact.

Last edited:
Yeah, Revelations was… far more forgettable than the other Ezio games, but it's not bad. It's just more of the same.

AC3 is… hmmm… it has so much potential, it just reeks of possibility but then it commits a huge sin by being kind of boring. Plus they dropped the ball on making you care about the lead character. Thats a huge problem.

AC2: Great
Brotherhood: Really good
Revelations: Fun, but feels pointless
AC3: Boring, pointless, more boring, FUCKING AWESOME NAVAL BATTLES, more boring, ending that renders most of the "present" storyline pointless[DOUBLEPOST=1398650609,1398650016][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, like, nothing from japan?
Girls I know are enjoying Conception II--I don't know. I don't know anything.

Bravely Default is a lot of fun if you love job system-based JRPGs. The story is pretty by-the-numbers, but the characters are surprisingly endearing.
I played the demo for a couple hours tonight ... I'm just not into it. I can objectively sit back and say "yes, this is a good game," but I can't really see myself grinding JP like this. If it was a new Final Fantasy Tactics game, I would've bought it release day, pre-order, full-price, taken the day off work. But while I can see this is a good game, I can't muster enthusiasm for it. And if I don't feel enthusiasm, what's the point?

Between giving a fair shot to Soul Hackers, Conception II, and Bravely Default, I feel like I kind of wasted my weekend. Good thing I got Dark Souls so I can try to beat my way through the same skeletons and boss for three hours. (Joking--I'm enjoying Dark Souls, even as my wife watched me get my 15th death and asked, "Why do you like this?") She's watching me write this right now. Watching. Always watching. Please stop. Go back to playing Dragon Age. It's not that funny. What's wrong with you? Have you no priorities? It's almost bed time. Don't you want to finish this DLC quest before bed? GO. TURN YOUR HEAD. AVERT THINE EYES.
Fine, I'm just gonna post this.

I downloaded Conception II just for the flat out "how much am I going to facepalm over Japan at this game?" It was loud and frequent and then I uninstalled it.

I downloaded Conception II just for the flat out "how much am I going to facepalm over Japan at this game?" It was loud and frequent and then I uninstalled it.
My wife did the same. It's just ... ugh.

On another note, I've continued to mess with the Bravely Default demo.

I think whatever mental hurdle was preventing me from getting the point of the Brave and Default system mixed with the Job system has been passed. Now I'm messing with strategies and getting ideas. I may pick this up today when I return Soul Hackers.

Fired up Skyrim again.

This time, I've added more mods such as Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, and Deadly Dragons. Mainly because everyone sings their praises. But to be honest, I'm finding Frostfall and RNaD to be annoyances rather than entertaining additions. It's like when I played hardcore mode in New Vegas, remembering to eat and drink and sleep became chores rather than immersive features.

Maybe I'll do one playthrough with Frostfall and RNaD, then abandon them. They're probably not for me.

hah, I've been playing Skyrim on the x-Box lately. Completing the few quests I never got around to and making some of my skills legendary. Been fun trying to level up skills I never use much like one handed weapons and heavy armor.

Okay, as I said, my wife did the same--except she thought it was a lot of fun and is buying the full game today. :facepalm:

Attack of the Friday Monsters: That was really cute and had a lot of tropes to kaiju stuff I used to watch as a kid, right down to the last scene. Though I hate when I save a game, go do other stuff, come back to it much later, only to find that I was a screen away from the end credits.

Mega Man 2: How is this so fucking good?! I just finished the last of the -Man stages, thinking the Dr. Wily part would send me straight to the final boss--nope, there's a bunch of stage parts to get there, with their own bosses, and I've got to use all my gathered skills to get through it. Currently stuck on the dragon chase, but this game sooo good.

GasBandit

Staff member
Mega Man 2: How is this so fucking good?! I just finished the last of the -Man stages, thinking the Dr. Wily part would send me straight to the final boss--nope, there's a bunch of stage parts to get there, with their own bosses, and I've got to use all my gathered skills to get through it. Currently stuck on the dragon chase, but this game sooo good.
Must... not... give... spoilers!

All I will say is I envy you and the experience of playing it for the first time. You should definitely start playing MM3 next after you beat MM2.

Zero Esc said:
Okay, as I said, my wife did the same--except she thought it was a lot of fun and is buying the full game today. :facepalm:
Does she have enough information about games like this to know where it's going? ;)

I have been playing Weapon Shop de Omasse today because my son is home sick with a huge backlog of homework that he lied to me about having, so I need to make sure he does it, sick be damned. :p

Last edited:
Does she have enough information about games like this to know where it's going? ;)
Nope. Worse than the demo's examples are given in the intro's dialogue. But she's all "the babies are cute; I want to make an army of them". And she will.

I have been playing Weapon Shop de Omasse today because my son is home sick with a huge backlog of homework that he lied to me about having, so I need to make sure he does it, sick be damned. :p
I end up playing that infrequently because it's hard to put down.

GasBandit

Staff member
Again?! I have to do it again? All at once?!

Actually, so far it's not too bad, but for some reason I keep getting hung up on Wood Man and Air Man. Air Man was the second one I beat; I don't know why he's giving me hell now.
Use Metal blades on wood man and leaf shield (offensively only) on air man.

The Atomic Fire is actually the weakness to Wood Man, but it can be tricky to use sometimes. Metal Blades are basically just a bit stronger than using your Mega Buster.
I tried Heat Man's weapon, but it wasn't doing much damage.

Use Metal blades on wood man and leaf shield (offensively only) on air man.
That offense only is key--I hate his fucking tornados, but once I got behind him, the leaf shield tore him apart. Metal blades still seem to have a rough time with Wood Man. I have no idea why--I killed him in one try during his level, but I can't for the life of me remember what weapon I used to get him so easily. Maybe it was just luck; I didn't have the metal blades yet.

At this point I have killed each of them, but not within a single continue, so they keep respawning. I think my strategy needs to shift to hard boss, easy boss, hard boss, easy boss, so I can recover health a bit more for each one.

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried Heat Man's weapon, but it wasn't doing much damage.
Heat man's weapon charges the longer you hold down the button. One full-power blast from it will one-shot wood man, but as you said... it's tricky. I just use metal blades because they hit a little harder than the mega buster and don't limit your mobility. If you can get in close and hit him without his shield up, the air blaster does a little more damage than that. Crash bombs can penetrate the leaf shield but it's tricky to use, too.

Heat man's weapon charges the longer you hold down the button. One full-power blast from it will one-shot wood man, but as you said... it's tricky. I just use metal blades because they hit a little harder than the mega buster and don't limit your mobility. If you can get in close and hit him without his shield up, the air blaster does a little more damage than that. Crash bombs can penetrate the leaf shield but it's tricky to use, too.
Crash bombs have worked for me.

I had no idea you could hold and charge Heat Man's weapon. Any others I can do that with?

Necronic

Staff member
For the last 2 weeks I havent been able to find a single game I like. I've been picking up old games and replaying them, and buying some classics I missed like X-Com Enemy Unknown. None of them have been doing it for me. X-Com was a real let-down, honestly I think Jagged Alliance 1.13 has ruined turn based tactics for me forever, X-Com feels far too dumbed down after that game. Anyways, In desperation I bought Avadon The Black Fortress last night. I normally don't like story based games at all, but this one has really captured me. For those that don't know you play a "Hand" (knight) of a powerful faction that has been uniting all the clans. Thing is though you're somewhere between good guys and Nazi's. There's one really unsettling part where a bad guy basically breaks down crying because he doesn't want to go to your dungeons where we are going to mind wipe him.

Mega Man 2: WHAT THE FUCK.

He's a fucking alien! An alien! AAAAAHHHHH!

This battle is frustrating because his attack pattern is so predictable that I know every time I die, it's 100% my fault.

GasBandit

Staff member
Attention halforumites - for the complete experience, please press play on the following video before reading Zero Esc's post.

Wow, what a loser. Had me going there, but that last bit was hilarious.

So the ending ...

Was it supposed to imply that Rock was retiring, deciding to be a man and no longer a Mega Man?

Fantastic game. Thank you guys for getting me intrigued and suggesting this. I loved it.

I'm gonna try to beat a couple other games (Cave Story, Mighty Switch Force) before I dive into Mega Man 3.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow, what a loser. Had me going there, but that last bit was hilarious.

So the ending ...

Was it supposed to imply that Rock was retiring, deciding to be a man and no longer a Mega Man?
Depending on who you talk to, a lot of fans interpret it that way, including the Megas, whose version of the ending song basically has Rock going into full PTSD breakdown mode at having to have killed 8 more of his "brothers," and for what? Is this all there is? Can a robot made to fight ever do anything but kill?

If we're going to post mega man inspired music, it's a requirement to mention The Protomen, who have two fantastic concept albums that basically retell the story of mega man (and Dr Light) as a rock opera.

These are told from the perspective of Dr Light (and a bit of Wiley), just as they're beginning to make robotics.

If we're going to post mega man inspired music, it's a requirement to mention The Protomen, who have two fantastic concept albums that basically retell the story of mega man (and Dr Light) as a rock opera.

These are told from the perspective of Dr Light (and a bit of Wiley), just as they're beginning to make robotics.
Act II is actually done from 3 points of view (though now that I look at it you were probably just referring to the 2 songs you posted). Wily, Light, and Joe, a punk kid who ends up helping Light turn off Wily's city-wide takeover. This album's a prequel to Act I, which focuses more on Protoman, Mega Man, and Light.

Act III, which is hopefully out this year, which according to the band "does not end well for humanity." Their general take loosely uses MM's story, focusing mostly on MM2, but takes it to a whole dystopian level.

The Megas generally follow a more traditional approach in the lyrics they put over the various themes. Mostly each boss song focuses on establishing a personality for the Masters, and the opening/ending credits songs tend to focus on Mega Man or Light. History Repeating: Blue, and the next, HR: Red, are focused on MM3 and are fucking phenomenal compared to the first album.

Act II is actually done from 3 points of view (though now that I look at it you were probably just referring to the 2 songs you posted). Wily, Light, and Joe, a punk kid who ends up helping Light turn off Wily's city-wide takeover. This album's a prequel to Act I, which focuses more on Protoman, Mega Man, and Light.
Yes, I was talking only about the two songs I posted. And I chose to post act 2 because it takes place chronologically before act 1. Well... that and I just like it better (though I still love act 1).

Yes, I was talking only about the two songs I posted. And I chose to post act 2 because it takes place chronologically before act 1. Well... that and I just like it better (though I still love act 1).
It's really hard for me to choose. State Vs. Thomas Light, Father of Death, Breaking Out and of course Light Up The Night are all great tracks. But then Act I is front-to-back great, though it's only the 8 tracks (Vengeance and The Stand being my personal favorites). I can't imagine how they're going to top these two albums with Act III.

It's really hard for me to choose. State Vs. Thomas Light, Father of Death, Breaking Out and of course Light Up The Night are all great tracks. But then Act I is front-to-back great, though it's only the 8 tracks (Vengeance and The Stand being my personal favorites). I can't imagine how they're going to top these two albums with Act III.
Oh man, Light Up The Night gets me so pumped.

I really like how The Megas handled Snake Man on HR: Blue:

Spends the whole song trying to convince MM that he's on the wrong side. Granted, nothing tops Magnet Man spilling his spaghetti about Roll, but this one's a close second.