What are you playing?

Oh, that's right, you'll find out what he means after you awaken that crystal.

Let's just say it gets a little grindy for a bit. And the plot gets super obvious.

Oh, that's right, you'll find out what he means after you awaken that crystal.

Let's just say it gets a little grindy for a bit. And the plot gets super obvious.
It would take a lot for me to dislike this game at this point. It has a LOT of anti-frustration features.

Well.... we'll see how you feel in the next chapter. Honestly, it has caused some people to actively hate the game.

Personally, I still loved it.

Well.... we'll see how you feel in the next chapter. Honestly, it has caused some people to actively hate the game.

Personally, I still loved it.
I'll let you know in a few hours. Apparently I need to go pick up a dozen abilities with the vampire after I pick up the job class w/genome ability.

I will go back and finish it one day as I do love the game. But I just got to that point and didn't want to go through all of it over again.

It is a fantastic game though.

SW:TOR - In my opinion tied for the best storyline MMO ever. (The Secret World would be tied for 1st). I plan on finishing at least one storyline this time damnit!
Hearthstone - The most frustrating game I play, yet I still play it.
Awesomenauts - New character means reinstall and a few months of play.
Last of Us - Just finished this, best narrative game I've ever played on a console, bar none. Amazing story and characters. Shit gameplay, but I slogged through. Starting a playthrough of Left Behind now.
GTA:V - Playing this in small spurts, very enjoyable. Liking the story and characters so far, gameplay is solid. Graphical stuttering is bothersome sometimes.

I will go back and finish it one day as I do love the game. But I just got to that point and didn't want to go through all of it over again.

It is a fantastic game though.
Funny enough that's exactly where I stopped playing, too. I still haven't opened Vampire or that other last job, though. I know how, I just didn't feel like it at that point.

SW:TOR - In my opinion tied for the best storyline MMO ever. (The Secret World would be tied for 1st). I plan on finishing at least one storyline this time damnit!
I don't know if you've heard, but The Secret World is trying to crowdfund a persisent Augmented Reality Game that ties into and affects the plot of The Secret World...

The full list of rewards is here. Be sure to spread both pages around, they are still in the "pre-launch" phase so all of the limited rewards are still there.

GasBandit

Staff member
War Thunder.

It's fun if you like WW2 flight sims.

And it can be as arcadey or as realistic as you want, because it's basically an MMO port of Wings of Prey.

War Thunder.

It's fun if you like WW2 flight sims.

And it can be as arcadey or as realistic as you want, because it's basically an MMO port of Wings of Prey.

I like it, but it's horribly grindy. You really do need a premium account if you want to unlock anything worth flying.

GasBandit

Staff member
I like it, but it's horribly grindy. You really do need a premium account if you want to unlock anything worth flying.
Just playing for a couple days, I've already unlocked the P-40, and it's a lot of fun. Hell, even the P-36 was a noticeable step up.

But yeah, it's gonna take weeks to get a P-51.

At least, however, the game has a tendency to more or less group tech levels together... so the tier 1 planes aren't going up against tier 4 planes.

Just playing for a couple days, I've already unlocked the P-40, and it's a lot of fun. Hell, even the P-36 was a noticeable step up.

But yeah, it's gonna take weeks to get a P-51.

At least, however, the game has a tendency to more or less group tech levels together... so the tier 1 planes aren't going up against tier 4 planes.
It was fine in the beginning, it was just after the 2nd or 3rd tier, it really WILL take weeks. You might get 100 odd points on a free account per match--which the premium account, you'll get well over 1000, and once the points per plane gets into the tens of thousands, then you'll start seeing the need. This also goes for crew training.

All that said, for the 3-4 weeks I had been playing it, it was a ton of fun--especially flying the bombers. I still pop on once in a while for some action.

Pretty much just FFXIV still. Got a Dragoon to 50, done a couple Hard Modes, it's all fun stuff. Working on other classes now, almost 50 on Warrior and somewhere around 32-33 on Bard.

During the server downtime, if I'm still awake, I've started a replay of FFVI. Just hit South Figaro for the first time so I've barely started, and I'm still not sure who my main team will be.

fade

Staff member
Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Yeah it's old but I just got it. Fun gameplay that's a good variation of point and shoot. Love the combos. Not a fan of the power of the force, but that's a beef I have with most of the expanded universe.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Yeah it's old but I just got it. Fun gameplay that's a good variation of point and shoot. Love the combos. Not a fan of the power of the force, but that's a beef I have with most of the expanded universe.
Was that the game that's only five hours long, or is that Force Unleashed 2?

Unleashed IMO was great, 2 was done by a different studio and was way harder to control. I couldn't tell you about game length because i gave up after 2 levels due to the controls.

Okay, so I'm looking into the series now--if I were to play one Megaman game that would decide whether I played any other Megaman games in the future, which should be that Megaman game?

I'd say that Megaman X for the SNES is probably the best combination of graphics and gameplay. The nintendo era stuff has some tighter gameplay, but dated visuals. If you don't give a crap about the graphics at all, start at the beginning with the original game.

Okay, so I'm looking into the series now--if I were to play one Megaman game that would decide whether I played any other Megaman games in the future, which should be that Megaman game?
I would say Mega Man 2 or 3, personally. In terms of difficulty, I'd say 9 and 10 really take the cake. Avoid 7 and 8. They're not bad, but nowhere near as fun and challenging as the prior 1-6.

Other things to note: The Mega Buster charge wasn't introduced until MM5, and the slide wasn't brought in until MM3. The music of pretty much every MM game is above and beyond what you would expect from NES. Every MM game has a specific order to fight bosses that makes them much easier, if you want to look that up prior to playing, that's up to you.

Calling MM games casual is hilarious.

Edit: If you want to start on the X series instead, then yeah, Bowie's right. MMX is fantastic as are 2 and 3.

For the record, Mega Man games are generally hard as balls. Not unfairly so in most cases, but they aren't casual games, that's for sure.

Playing those games again makes me amazed at 12 year old me. How did I finish them back then with no save states or decent continue system.

I remember having little notebooks just full of video game passcodes for continues.

I don't give a shit about graphics, so 1 or 2 sound like a good start.

Playing those games again makes me amazed at 12 year old me. How did I finish them back then with no save states or decent continue system.

I remember having little notebooks just full of video game passcodes for continues.
Yeah, I don't know how little me ever made it so far in some of the old games. I abuse the hell out of restore points.[DOUBLEPOST=1397425367,1397424944][/DOUBLEPOST]
For Jay, anything that's not a PC city-builder or FPS game is casual.

The first thing I made once I discovered emulators is finish the first 7 megaman games in one sitting. I don't remember how many hours it took me, but I remember the headache I had afterwards. I blame megaman V.

Mega Man 2, IMO.
This would be my pick too, @Zero Esc. It pretty much defined what Mega Man games ARE, in terms of music and gameplay.

After that, I'd probably give Mega Man X a try. X has a lot more flash and lets you do more with your characters than the NES games did.

Legends would be my pick after that. It only had two entries but is much beloved by the fans for having one of the better stories and casts of characters.

As for Battle Network and Star Force... I kind of dig them, but they are a complete genre change. Try at your own risk.

I would say Mega Man 2 or 3, personally. In terms of difficulty, I'd say 9 and 10 really take the cake. Avoid 7 and 8. They're not bad, but nowhere near as fun and challenging as the prior 1-6.

Other things to note: The Mega Buster charge wasn't introduced until MM5, and the slide wasn't brought in until MM3. The music of pretty much every MM game is above and beyond what you would expect from NES. Every MM game has a specific order to fight bosses that makes them much easier, if you want to look that up prior to playing, that's up to you.

Edit: If you want to start on the X series instead, then yeah, Bowie's right. MMX is fantastic as are 2 and 3.
Charged buster was 4, and it was a mistake in my opinion. It made most of the gathered boss weapons redundant.

I would definitely recommend someone start with Mega Man 1, but it's REALLY, FUCKING, HARD. 2 and 3 are MUCH easier games.[DOUBLEPOST=1397441473,1397441389][/DOUBLEPOST]
This would be my pick too, @Zero Esc. It pretty much defined what Mega Man games ARE, in terms of music and gameplay.

After that, I'd probably give Mega Man X a try. X has a lot more flash and lets you do more with your characters than the NES games did.

Legends would be my pick after that. It only had two entries but is much beloved by the fans for having one of the better stories and casts of characters.

As for Battle Network and Star Force... I kind of dig them, but they are a complete genre change. Try at your own risk.
Legends is very difficult to play nowadays. The controls are very awkward. I say that as someone who loved Legends 1 and 2.

Mega Man X, Mega Man X 2, and Mega Man X 3. These are my three favorite mega man games, 1 and 3 especially, though 2 is still pretty good. They all take place in an alternate time/universe/whatever and follow a storyarc through, so by the time you get to 3, you will be invested in these characters.

Though, these are also SNES games, so download PDFs of the manuals to get that story.

Mega Man X, Mega Man X 2, and Mega Man X 3. These are my three favorite mega man games, 1 and 3 especially, though 2 is still pretty good. They all take place in an alternate time/universe/whatever and follow a storyarc through, so by the time you get to 3, you will be invested in these characters.

Though, these are also SNES games, so download PDFs of the manuals to get that story.
The Mega Man games all take place in the same timeline. Mega Man X takes place 100 years after the final Mega Man game (at this point, 10). Unofficially, everything after x4 in the X series doesn't matter though. After the last X game, another few hundred years pass and then the Mega Man Zero series takes place, followed directly after by ZX. Then, thousands of years after ZX, Legends takes place.

The official (Kenji Inafune) timeline is something like this...

Mega Man
- Dr Light and Dr Wily work together as college students, become good friends.
- Dr Wily is disgraced for illegal robot experiments.
- Knowing his old friend needs a chance to redeem his name, Dr. Light hires Dr. Wily to work as a consultant on his projects secretly.
- Working together on a military project, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily make Blues. Unexpectedly, Blues can think for himself, but has a flawed reactor that will eventually kill him.
- After showing off Blues to the military, Dr. Light talks about fixing Blues. Blues thinks he'll take away his free will and runs away.
- Dr. Light and Dr. Wily design the Sniper Joe line for the police and military, which finances their laboratory. They make a bunch of other smaller projects to keep the money coming.
- Eventually Dr. Light and Dr. Wily decide to go big and design and build the Robot Masters.
- Around this time Dr. Light gets lonely and builds Rock and Roll, a lab assistant and house keeper that he treats more like kids than machines.
- As the time comes to unveil the Robot Masters, Dr. Wily grows jealous of the media attention Dr. Light is getting. He sabotages the Robot Masters and has them run amok.
- Rock decides that only a robot can fight other robots. He asks Dr. Light to turn him into a fighting machine. Dr. light reluctantly obliges and turns Rock into Mega Man.
- Mega Man fights the Robot Masters, deactivates them, and allows Dr. Light to fix their programing. Mega Man fights and defeats Dr. Wily, who goes to jail.
- Dr. Wily escapes and starts building Robot Masters of his own. Somewhere along the line he finds an almost dead Blues and fixes his core but allows him to keep his free will. Unable to forget his debt but ashamed of his actions, Blues asks for a way to hide his identity. Dr. Wily gives him a helmet and sunglasses. Blues becomes Breakman.
- Mega Man fights and defeats two sets of Robot Masters before running into Breakamn. Unable to strike down his brother, Breakman saves Mega Man's life but tells him that he'll have to go home alone. Protoman is born.
- Wily builds more Robot Masters, but also builds his own version of Protoman: Bass. Bass turns out just like Protoman and ditches Dr. Wily, though the two work together from time to time.
- An alien robot lands on Earth, powered by a corrupting energy. Wily finds it and uses it against Mega Man. It is defeated, but not before Wily hides some of the energy.
- The Robot War between Dr. Light and Dr. Wily continues for years before finally slowing to a crawl as both of them are about to die from old age. Both build their ultimate creations...

- Dr. Light designs X, who has a chip that allows him to think, feel, and experience real emotion. He seals X away for 100 years so that his machines can ensure that the chip will work as expected. He also designs various tools for X, sealing them around the world in capsules with an AI copy of Dr. Light.
- Dr. Wily designs Zero. He has all the same features as X, but Dr. Wily is unable to properly finish his equipment. Instead Dr. Wily designs the Zero virus, a virus designed to make X go crazy when he's exposed to it. Unfortunately, Dr. Light found out about it and made X immune. Dr. Wily also creates an AI copy of himself like Dr. Light.
- Dr. Wily and Dr. Light both die before their creations come to light. Both lie hidden for 100 years...

Mega Man X
- 100 years after the deaths of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily, Dr. Cain finds X in the ruins of one of Dr. Light's old labs. He (imperfectly) copies the design and creates Reploids... machines that can think and feel for themselves. X is activated and lives peacefully for a time.
- Eventually, some Reploids decide that they'd rather not follow the orders of humans. Declaring them "Mavericks", the governments of the world create the Maverick Hunters, headed up by the reploid Sigma.
- Around this time Zero is awoken and goes crazy. Eventually he and Sigma fight. Sigma deactivates him and purges him of the Zero virus, but becomes infected himself.
- Zero is fixed and joins the Hunters. X joins shortly after.
- Sigma (infected with the Zero virus) stages a Maverick revolt with his most trusted captains. Only X and Zero remain to fight the Mavericks.
- During the Maverick War, Zero is destroyed by Vile, an uninfected Maverick that simply hates humans. Zero's memory chip is recovered but the rest of his parts art stolen by the X-Hunters.
- X defeats Sigma, ending the first Maverick Revolt. However, Sigma's AI has merged with the Zero Virus to make the Sigma Virus, which goes on to corrupt other reploids.
- The X-Hunters rebuild Zero using Dr. Wily's original plans, which include better armor and a bad ass beam saber. Dr. Wily may have been running them behind the scenes.
- The second Maverick Revolt begins. Sigma makes a copy of Zero to fight X, but X reclaims the original Zero's parts and they defeat Sigma and the X-Hunters together.
- Several more revolts occur. Sigma is finally defeated by X, but not before Zero sacrifices himself to stop his last scheme. Zero is thought to be dead but he simply goes into stasis on Earth.
- Machines capable of purging the Sigma Virus are developed and produced. The Maverick Wars end. X becomes a leader of the new world where Reploids and humans live in earth. Hundreds of years pass.

Mega Man Zero
- Eventually, X decides to separate his AI and his body, so that he can watch over everything as a peaceful observer. The process doesn't work correctly... X's AI becomes free but a corrupted version is left in his body. X's body becomes a totalitarian facist, kicking humans who won't live by his rules out of his city. A resistance is formed and the Maverick Wars begin again.
- Zero's body is recovered and duplicated by Dr. Weil. The original is used by X to make a weapon. People find out and Dr. Weil is turned into a human/reploid hybrid as punishment. Dr. Wily's AI takes over the body of Dr. Weil.
- The copy of Zero is abandoned in Dr. Weil's lab. The resistance recovers it and convinces him to help them fight X. He does and Copy X is destroyed. X's AI is deleted in the process.
- Dr. Weil takes over after X is destroyed. Zero fights and defeats him.
- In order to stop the fighting, Humans and Reploids begin to become as one.

Mega ZX
- Dr. Weil threats the world a few more times. Some other people fight him because Zero is dead. (I think)
- Humans and reploids have almost fully merged into one species. The remaining pure humans flee to the moon.

Mega Man Legends
- The humans on the moon reduce life on earth to a fraction of it's total through a super weapon. Thousands of years pass and the survivors forget all of this happened.
- The remaining locations full of high tech equipment become treasure hunting spots, but are full of feral robots called Reavers. The Digger's Guild is formed to police access to keep people from getting killed.
- Rock Volnutt is found by Roll and he Grandfather on a dig. They reactivate him and he becomes a part of the family.
- Some stuff I don't remember about the first game happens. The Bonne family of pirates act like anime villians.
- The last surviving pure breed human activates his forces to wipe out humanity.
- Rock Volnutt finds a way to the moon and defeats the last human to save all life on Earth.
- He's trapped on the moon, so Roll and Tron Bonne build a rocket to save him.

- Legends 3 would have taken off from there but was cancelled because Capcom hates Mega Man. Rock Volnutt is STILL trapped on the moon.

Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force take place in an alternate reality where Dr. Light and Dr. Wily researched AI development and Wireless access instead. They really don't matter but can be fun.