What are you playing?

The Wolf Among Us is really, really good.

I had never read any of Fables, so the setting is new to me. But hey, they're fairytale characters, right? So I know them well enough.

If you like TellTale style games, and/or if you liked the Walking Dead games (part 2 is still ongoing) then you'll love this game.

Also, the art style is goddamn beautiful.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bout ready to hang up MWO. I'd briefly rekindled my interest with a quad AC/2 Jagermech, but now they've nerfed all AC/2s and /5s.

How the heck do you nerf AC 2s? It's not like they're amazing to begin with.
In Mechwarrior Online, the light mechs (and thus light weapons) are actually rather good in the right hands. This is probably just another nerf to lights so that the Atlas Doom Squad doesn't have to feel inferior to the lights.

GasBandit

Staff member
How the heck do you nerf AC 2s? It's not like they're amazing to begin with.
By increasing their cooldown time by one quarter, and cutting their max range in half.
In Mechwarrior Online, the light mechs (and thus light weapons) are actually rather good in the right hands. This is probably just another nerf to lights so that the Atlas Doom Squad doesn't have to feel inferior to the lights.
Actually, it's to nerf the AC2/AC5 ballistic boats, as I understand it... and I kind of do, because I have a jagermech which mounts four AC2, which puts out more DPS than an AC/20 and at any range. Or rather, it did, yesterday.

By increasing their cooldown time by one quarter, and cutting their max range in half.

Actually, it's to nerf the AC2/AC5 ballistic boats, as I understand it... and I kind of do, because I have a jagermech which mounts four AC2, which puts out more DPS than an AC/20 and at any range. Or rather, it did, yesterday.
I honestly haven't played since they nerfed Missile Boats into oblivion. Look, if you don't want to get blown up from across the map, stop acting like a retard and use cover... but NOOO... that would upset the heavies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I honestly haven't played since they nerfed Missile Boats into oblivion. Look, if you don't want to get blown up from across the map, stop acting like a retard and use cover... but NOOO... that would upset the heavies.
Well, you might like the state of the game now.. LRMS got a massive buff a couple patches ago, and NARC beacons actually do something now. LRMs are king again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is this bad game still in alpha or something? Holy shit, you'd think they'd get that stuff right by now.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - PGI was clearly not ready to run with the big dogs. There'd just been such a drought of mechwarrior titles though, that there were all kinds of neckbeards lined up and ready to literally shove hundreds of dollars each at them just based on promises of "it's gonna be cool." They're only a couple months from the launch of Clan mechs (for those who spent hundreds of dollars pre-purchasing them in January), I can hardly wait to see how they screw them up. They've already released the info on the Timberwolf. Do we still call it an omnimech even though it has no omni hardpoints?

I figured as much when I originally played the game

I'm very apprehensive with custom "special" shit that fanboys buy and see how they compare with those not to spend extra cash.

One of the major reasons I'm not as interested as I should be with star citizen

Necronic

Staff member
My brother and a friend of ours are pretty hardcore addicted. Our friend's even been on the dev's weekly gameplay stream.
It's such a weird game. I just can't tell if it's good or not. Some aspects of it are awesome, and some are just....well weird. The whole Parkour thing doesn't work well at all right now though.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Went the loser New Game + route (aka keep all my levels and money and stuff instead of starting fresh) and raced back to where I was. Now I'm on the Neutral route and THANKS A LOT, GAME for locking crucial plot details behind a story arc that you can't access unless you're alignment ranges within a specific middle 16 points on a scale of 200. But at least now I'm taking time to check out the game world at end-game instead of racing to the final dungeon.

Megaman II: Okay, I can totally see why this has a huge fan base and I wish I'd had it when I was little with my NES. That said, I have a feeling this going to be really short.

GasBandit

Staff member
Megaman II: Okay, I can totally see why this has a huge fan base and I wish I'd had it when I was little with my NES. That said, I have a feeling this going to be really short.
The game, or your interest in it? Granted, if you're decent you can beat mega man 2 in less than a couple hours (tool assisted speedruns seem to run around 30 mins), but you're just starting out.. and you probably aren't playing on hard mode either, are you?

The game, or your interest in it? Granted, if you're decent you can beat mega man 2 in less than a couple hours (tool assisted speedruns seem to run around 30 mins), but you're just starting out.. and you probably aren't playing on hard mode either, are you?
The game--my interest is piqued for other entries.

And you're right; I didn't consider that I'm playing on Normal. I'll up the difficulty.

GasBandit

Staff member
The game--my interest is piqued for other entries.

And you're right; I didn't consider that I'm playing on Normal. I'll up the difficulty.
Fun fact... the Japanese version didn't have multiple modes... they thought American's couldn't hack it so they made an easier mode for us and called it "normal" and what they played in Japan as "hard."

Hard mode in Mega Man 2 is regular Japanese difficulty.[DOUBLEPOST=1397690259,1397690229][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fun fact... the Japanese version didn't have multiple modes... they thought American's couldn't hack it so they made an easier mode for us and called it "normal" and what they played in Japan as "hard."
What he said moments before.

NES/SNES games are notorious for that. Square did the same to the US release of FF2 (removed a couple abilities and reduced difficulty), and there were multiple changes/edits in FF3. FF Mystic Quest was actually called Final Fantasy USA in other markets.

NES/SNES games are notorious for that. Square did the same to the US release of FF2 (removed a couple abilities and reduced difficulty), and there were multiple changes/edits in FF3. FF Mystic Quest was actually called Final Fantasy USA in other markets.
Ironically, this changed in the PSX/PS2 era. Then it was the Japanese getting mercy options and the American and European versions that were made more difficult, usually by default.

Ninja Gaiden 3 for NES in North America was also reversed. The game was equally difficult in both regions, only the Japanese version had unlimited continues. The NA version did not.

In other news, Ninja Gaiden 3 is fucking impossible.

I actually found out that most US NES games were HARDER than the Japanese versions with information saying that it was done to increase the re-rentals of games.

Ninja Gaiden 3 for NES in North America was also reversed. The game was equally difficult in both regions, only the Japanese version had unlimited continues. The NA version did not.

In other news, Ninja Gaiden 3 is fucking impossible.
Ninja Gaiden on the NES in general is an exercise in not snapping controllers in half. Any game that knocks your avatar backwards when hit makes me rage uncontrollably.