What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

New Alice in Chains single. New album due out later this year. I really dig it. I really like post-Layne current-Duval AiC. I'm stoked.

Spotify's "Discover Weekly" feature is unimpressive at guessing what I may like, but the occasional gem makes it worth listening to.

Just caught Bob Dylan’s “Tombstone Blues” for what may be my first time.

You know, I used to think that all those “Babblin’ Bob” memes were exaggerating. Not any more!

—Patrick

I'm really starting to loathe streaming music services that curate songs to fit your taste. Especially the one that's named after a box full of evil. All of my stations either wind up being a big homogenized mess of Classic Rock, Country, Oldies, Folk, R&B, Blues, Jazz, Instrumental, and Gospel or I try really hard to keep the stations separate and keep getting the "You don't seem to like this station, do you want to try again?" message. No, you moron, I just don't always want to listen to The Beatles and I'd love it if at least one station didn't play that fucking Hawaiian dude singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow with his Ukulele! Don't get me wrong, I love Iz and I get that he's a Hawaiian national treasure, but I don't want my music to transition from Poison to Kiss to Iz and then back to Rush. What the hell kind of format continuity is that?!

Now I've got a completely borked station that's supposed to be playing classic country - Roy Orbison, Glen Campbell, etc. - because I get fed so much of it on the oldies station (damn crossover artists and genre splits) that I wanted to actually listen to it, and all it will play for me instead is The Beatles, Nancy Sinatra, and music of the world. Meanwhile, over on the Golden Oldies station it keeps trying to feed me Country music and, once in a great while, something really off the wall, like hardcore gangsta rap or Enya. Or Seether.

And Dylan. So. Much. Fucking. Bob. Fucking. Dylan.

You can do it, but you have to meticulously curate and prune it, and it doesn't start getting good until you've put a lot of decisions into it. And even once you have, it will still try and sneak a few extra songs in from time to time to see where your boundaries are, because unlike its original purpose, it has morphed into a sort of, "Let's try to build a service that overall plays music you like" instead of allowing you to segregate them by preferred characteristic. Hence the curation required to keep the recommendations in their assigned cages. But it's good enough to last me a few hours' music at a time before it starts to repeat, and doesn't cost anything, so it's Good Enough.

--Patrick

You can do it, but you have to meticulously curate and prune it, and it doesn't start getting good until you've put a lot of decisions into it. And even once you have, it will still try and sneak a few extra songs in from time to time to see where your boundaries are, because unlike its original purpose, it has morphed into a sort of, "Let's try to build a service that overall plays music you like" instead of allowing you to segregate them by preferred characteristic. Hence the curation required to keep the recommendations in their assigned cages. But it's good enough to last me a few hours' music at a time before it starts to repeat, and doesn't cost anything, so it's Good Enough.

--Patrick
Same. Even better, if you run it in Chrome with uBlock Origin you don't have to pay to get ad-free streaming.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had a carefully curated streaming service once. It was called Launchcast Plus. It was great. Then it went out of business. Bleh.

It should.

I waffled a bit on the Res Band entry. I decided to go with my fave from Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore instead of the title track from Awaiting Your Reply.

It should.
In high school, I hung around with a guy who was a member of a contemporary Christian rock band, so I was exposed to quite a bit. He's the one that introduced me to Steve Taylor's music, which was the point when I started treating CC music as more than merely an excuse to make God music with a rock 'n' roll beat.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
You can now associate your accounts with Spotify. Go to your preferences and click "Associated Accounts". You can then log in to Spotify. If you are listening and someone arrows over your name they see "Listening to Spotify" and can then listen to what you are listening to.

I'm listening now so you can check out how it looks.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can now associate your accounts with Spotify. Go to your preferences and click "Associated Accounts". You can then log in to Spotify. If you are listening and someone arrows over your name they see "Listening to Spotify" and can then listen to what you are listening to.

I'm listening now so you can check out how it looks.
You darn kids and your spotifies. I gots the winamp and it works just dandy for me!