What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Reactions
302 91 0
The new Murder By Death (concept?) album, The Other Shore, is out. I should have a physical copy waiting for me home.

"The Other Shore" is basically a space western without guns, aliens or battles. It's about a ravaged earth and love that spans an impossible distance. One character flees the dying Earth and the other stays behind, eventually realizing their mistake and boarding a shuttle in an attempt to rejoin their loved one. Most of the story happens during the long journey, where the narrator has (too much) time to reflect on the past. It has manic highs and deep dark lows; brutally raw moments of realization and self-doubt. It's an epic journey that we poured our hearts into.

Reactions
269 21 0
One of the ways we calm our baby down when she's crying is to play "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. This has in turn meant that more Rush in general gets played in the house. She responds well to most Rush songs. The only one she does not seem to like is YYZ. I guess the Morse code drumming at the start is just too much for her.

But Tom Sawyer calms her down when she's fussy.

Reactions
1,299 343 12
One of the ways we calm our baby down when she's crying is to play "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. This has in turn meant that more Rush in general gets played in the house. She responds well to most Rush songs. The only one she does not seem to like is YYZ. I guess the Morse code drumming at the start is just too much for her.

But Tom Sawyer calms her down when she's fussy.
Have you tried Floyd, E.L.O., Styx, Emerson/Lake/Palmer, Yes, Journey, or Boston? Just spitballing for when Rush doesn't cut it any more.

--Patrick

Reactions
269 21 0
Have you tried Floyd, E.L.O., Styx, Emerson/Lake/Palmer, Yes, Journey, or Boston? Just spitballing for when Rush doesn't cut it any more.

--Patrick
No. We've mixed it up with other bands, for sure. She is a pretty chill baby overall, and seems to like most classic rock, honestly. But she seems to really like Tom Sawyer and I'm not sure what it is about that song in particular that she gravitates to. The only other songs that have the same effect are songs we played to her all the time in the womb- the Star Trek TNG theme, "Kiss the Girl" from Little Mermaid, and "The Gray Havens" and "Concerning Hobbits" from LOTR.

There's no common thread.

Reactions
416 219 1
I feel like the entire music industry has been suffering from that phenomenon whereby, upon hearing a word or phrase for the first time, it's suddenly everywhere around you - regarding the phrase "wrecking ball." I hadn't heard it in music until Miley Cyrus, who was almost universally panned for singing a song about a wrecking ball; but now there are like, eight songs revolving around being a wrecking ball, of all different genres. It's really annoying. It's like John Mellencamp - it's a damn good thing he sang Jack and Diane, so every country music artist in the 21st century can sing a song about them too.

Reactions
99 10 0
I've discovered this concept album called Hadestown (by Anais Mitchell) a few days ago and I can't stop listening to it. It's like a 30s Great Depression re-imagining of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth and it's baller as hell. Apparently it also has a stage production, but the album itself is pretty astounding.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,153 481 7
I'm really big into Nothing More right now. I haven't found many of their songs that I don't like and their lyrics are always really great. Here's my two favorites right now and they could hardly be different. The second one legit makes me tear up.

Reactions
269 21 0
The Holophonics' ska cover of Sum 41's "Fat Lip" appeals to that part of my brain that is still forever stuck in grade nine. (in halforums terms, that back in the Image board days, when I went by the handle jacobmcpoop)

Reactions
269 21 0
Going to see the Planet Smashers play with Big D and the Kids Table, the Gutter Demons, and Doghouse Rose Dec 1st.

I've e seen the Planet Smashers dozens of times at this point and I always love it. A buddy of mine who has never been to a ska show, and had never even heard of punkabilly is coming. So I put together a playlist to hype him up for the show. It's mostly the four bands we'll be seeing, but also with some bands they are known to collaborate with or cover.

I did the Spotify thing and it said I listened to the Planet Smashers over 40hrs this year
Top bands:
The Planet Smashers
The Interrupters
Big D and the Kids Table
Reel Big Fish
the Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Top songs:
"Babylon"- the Interrupters
"She Got Arrested"- The Interrupters
"Girl Take it Easy"- the Pietasters
"Not Fucking Around"- Big D and the Kids Table
"She's Kerosene"- the Interrupters