What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Seems to me you might like her.

I didn't recognize the name, but I recognize the album cover. That's one I bookmarked when it came up on my Pandora feed for the station of "songs that are hard to put into any one category" like the Squirrel Nut Zippers, Calexico, Asylum Street Spankers, Chris Isaak, etc. Glancing through my thumb list, here's the song of hers that first put her on my map:

--Patrick

For dad. He had the first half of this album as a 2-disc 45RPM set back in the day. I don't know if he ever acquired the rest of it. But now I have... again. My first copy went in the Great Vacation Rescue Sell-Off of 2015.

Another one I just got back that should never have been sold in the first place.

Even if the worst happens, I'm not going to sell my albums off again. It would only be a temporary solution, and then I'd be worse off than before, with no money AND no albums to listen to when I needed a lift.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's both vindicating and irritating when I'm right.

I've always had a distrust of cloud-based music "ownership." I'm wary of any "store" that, for lack of a better metaphor, keeps the merchandise you buy and lets you come and visit it whenever you want.

And my misgivings have been proven valid.

A couple years ago, I purchased "The Engineer" by Tommy Noble on Google Play music. Being the distrustful sort I am, I then of course immediately downloaded it and made copies to all my devices and computers. Google Play REALLY made it non-intuitive to download the song, not even giving me the option to do so at all on android devices, and burying the option beneath an unmarked menu only on one page of my "libarary" on the web version. And even then, it chided me, "Are you sure you want to download this track? You can only download a track TWO TIMES from the web!" Fuck you, it's mine, I paid for it.

Today, I decided I'd also pony up the 99 cents to buy another track, this time the Aly and Fila remix of "Beautiful" by Ferry Corsten. So I went and bought it, and jumped through the same hoops to download it, complete with the same recalcitrance on Google's part. So then I go to look at my "library" which should then consist of two songs? Except it doesn't. The Engineer is gone. Maybe it was on my other google account? Nope, not there either. So I searched for the track again... it's not even available on google play any more.

So if I hadn't gone through the rigamarole imposed on me to download what I bought, against Google's strident discouragement, I'd just be fucking out of luck and spent a buck on nothing.

This is why people pirate, you fucks. This exact thing is why it took me ten years to get around to trusting Steam enough to give it money.

This is why people pirate, you fucks. This exact thing is why it took me ten years to get around to trusting Steam enough to give it money.
This is why I also make sure that anything I buy online that says, "You don't need to download this, you could just stream it, you know" I still download anyway and make sure I can play it without any silly plug-in or whatever installed.

--Patrick

I've been listening to The Lumineers latest album. It's so simple and fantastic. It makes me think that I could write music. Simple chord progressions, simple stories, and uncomplicated singing.

Also, this gem has been stuck in my head:

TIL the BBC did a few documentaries on the German music scene. Kraftwerk doesn't really acknowledge their first three albums, but I heard this track from their first album in full for the first time today. It may sound a bit familiar...

TIL the BBC did a few documentaries on the German music scene. Kraftwerk doesn't really acknowledge their first three albums, but I heard this track from their first album in full for the first time today. It may sound a bit familiar...
I didn't start paying attention to them until Computer World came out. It was a big thing in 1981.
And what bugged me was at first I was trying to figure out which version of OS X used that song. Turns out I was thinking of the wrong Apple.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
I have discovered Sabaton. Did I ever think I would love Swiss military history metal? Did I ever think "Swiss military history metal" would ever be a thing? The answer to both of those questions is "no".

Do I like it? The answer to that is "yes".

GasBandit

Staff member
I have discovered Sabaton. Did I ever think I would love Swiss military history metal? Did I ever think "Swiss military history metal" would ever be a thing? The answer to both of those questions is "no".

Do I like it? The answer to that is "yes".
Sabaton is so fucking manly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Pardon my ranting. Feel free to disregard this post, I just felt compelled to get it out.

One of the biggest trance hits of last year was "Destiny" by Markus Schultz ft. DeLacey. Schultz is one of the more prolific trance artists, and I find I really like or hate his compositions (I've previously remarked how irritated I was with his new album this year).

But "Destiny" has been getting a ton of airtime on the trance channels for the last year and a half, which annoys me because, for some reason the track irritates the hell out of me.

I think it is because the lyrics of the chorus are exemplary of the kind of faux-spiritual pap so prevalent among the shallow.

"If we just can't get it right, then maybe we'll try in another life. If I die in your arms tonight, then baby I'll see you on the other side."

It also indicates a careless lack of investment in the subject's relationship - and perhaps more. Like everything worthwhile in life, relationships are work. A lot of work. They don't just happen and hold themselves together. It's an ongoing process that requires constant maintenance. But I guess it's easier to say "darn, this isn't easy, I guess I'll believe in persistent consciousness through reincarnation so that I can avoid growing and maturing as a person, and remain a preteen in an adult's body because I can't handle adult relationships and reponsibilities but I want to go to clubs and drink and do MDMA and fuck under strobe lights."

NYYEGH.

GasBandit

Staff member
We have one of their albums.
I bought it just for "Blowin in the Wind," but of course there's "Chocolate" and there's also the one I inflict on my coworkers: "Your Place Name Here."

--Patrick
My dad was absolutely ape for the Chenille sisters 20 years ago. The song I linked was my favorite. But I also liked the Amoeba song.

New Queens of the Stone Age album dropped today, so I immediately bought it and used it for my evening run. Fucking awesome.

Just found this band after finishing up Better Call Saul season 2. I typically don't care for disco, but these guys are so interesting. It's not all disco. They cherry-pick styles from the 60's and 70's. It's a lot of fun to listen to.

Neat. I hadn't pegged you for a raver, Wasabi.
I used to go to a goth/industrial night at a club in Philadelphia in my late 20s-early 30s. I listened to a lot of EBM and industrial dance. I got into SomaFM's Groove Salad station when Noah was a baby, so that added downtempo and chillwave to the mix - sometimes trance and house if I switched to other stations. Yeah so, I like EDM and some dubstep, too. I like to dance.

Lately it's been more about the BMG. Cary has discovered things like Stomp and Blue Man Group, and when he's not watching Minecrafters or EvanTubeHD on YouTube, he's watching stuff like this:

...because basically they're all hyperactive cartoon characters with a rockin' beat.

--Patrick