Weird weather

The weather people aren't 100% sure about it, but it looks like the PHX Valley may get its first 90-degree day of the year, sometime this week.

20190427 19:30-20:45 on my drive home from work - there is almost an inch of snow on the ground , and visibility is down to ~200m at best. The air temperature has fallen from 41F/5C to 33F/1C, and it’s getting dark. Pray for me (And O_C too, I guess).

—Patrick

20190427 19:30-20:45 on my drive home from work - there is almost an inch of snow on the ground , and visibility is down to ~200m at best. The air temperature has fallen from 41F/5C to 33F/1C, and it’s getting dark. Pray for me (And O_C too, I guess).

—Patrick
We're supposed to get rain and snow tomorrow, but looking at my Facebook memories reminds me that it's not all that unusual for this time of year.

So. It appears that in the mountains to the north, east, and southeast of us, the woodlands and vegetation are on fire.

The Mountain, Coldwater, Woodbury and Bylas fires are all essentially in the mountains to the north and east and southeast of the Phoenix Valley. (The Mountain and Coldwater fires are separate, but are rather close to each other.)

A friend of mine who lives in Gold Canyon, located in the foothills of the Superstition Mountains, says she can see the fires of the Woodbury fire from her home.

The Bylas fire is a little uncomfortably close to some other friends of mine in the Ray and Kearney areas.

The Woodbury fire that I mentioned before is 25% contained - but...

Yesterday as wife and I were out and about, we saw some clouds to the northeast. We haven't had rain in the forecast for months. It took us a while to realize we were not only seeing the smoke from the Woodbury fire, but that we were witnessing what appeared to be the after-effects of something exploding in the fire's path - from a distance of about 25-30 miles away.

The fire is spreading to the east, where the vegetation is sparser (and thankfully it isn't populated, either). However, the fire has closed a handful of the various recreational areas that many in the Valley go to for summer getaways (read: lake time to beat the heat).

I'm not worried about the fire turning our way; there is still that big hunk of rock in the way before it would start to really affect the East Valley. There are canyons on the south side of the Superstitions where the fire had made some inroads, though (which I also had the pleasure to see on Friday).

We had 60mph winds yesterday which I just managed to stay ahead of all the way home. Still had to dodge branches and dust storms from the crops I passed, though.
Still nowhere near what you're used to, I'm sure.

--Patrick

We had 60mph winds yesterday which I just managed to stay ahead of all the way home. Still had to dodge branches and dust storms from the crops I passed, though.
Still nowhere near what you're used to, I'm sure.

--Patrick
Honestly, we've been very lucky. I hope it stays that way.

The last three nights have been weird weather. The morning low has been cooler than the thermostat setting. The low got down to 62 degrees, when the normal now is 78-80.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrm, I wonder where he's getting his data... Weather Underground says the hottest Litchfield has gotten this year is 92 degrees, and the lowest is -56 (which granted is still goddamn cold) but that's 148 degree swing.

Oh wait, they're doing the "feels like." I guess that could be it.

Dave

Staff member
Hrm, I wonder where he's getting his data... Weather Underground says the hottest Litchfield has gotten this year is 92 degrees, and the lowest is -56 (which granted is still goddamn cold) but that's 148 degree swing.

Oh wait, they're doing the "feels like." I guess that could be it.
You're leaving out heat index and wind chill.

Obviously it's two different measurements, both based essentially on temperature, but it's only in the plains states where wind and humidity combine for OMG levels of temperature disparity.

I think the most interesting stat he had is “The wide range of "feels like" temperatures in the Upper Midwest is 20°F to 40°F greater than the normal of the previous 20 years.”

Yeah. Temp on my car's thermometer read 120F yesterday, and has been in the 110's most of the last several weeks.

Put it in the direct sun (facing south), no sun shade, and you could probably cook a lot of things in a few hours.

Not sure how edible the steak would be...

No, it's not that - even exposure in 120F+ heat is below the 140F required temp for killing bacteria.

I'd think you could maybe grill it on a real fire or pan sear it on a stove to get it up to 160F to kill it all off, but I wouldn't risk it.

Yep. Crossing my fingers they shut down the school on Tuesday. Have 3 exams in a row next week. Lucked out a little bit too. Originally had the storm getting here Sunday, which would have screwed up Jun's flight to China. She should make it out of Tampa on Sunday now without any problems. A little concerned that it's still supposed to be at least a CAT 2/3 when it runs through the state, but I guess we'll get a better picture of what's going on in a couple days.

Major monsoon storm decided to go through the Valley last night. Forgot how loud they could be. Haven't checked outside for damage yet (it's only 5:13 AZT as I type this - sun hasn't come out yet).

It is raining, rather heavily, outside right now. I went to see if my umbrella was in my car (which it was) and saw that the temp was 80F - with the humidity needle buried at the 90%+ mark.

Fri: high of 85F
Sat: high of 83F
Sun: Torrential downpour
Mon: high of 62F
Tue: high of 60F

Fall has been canceled.

--Patrick