Weird weather

Is the hurricane going to have any effect on the lava flows on the Big Island?
I doubt it. Though the eruption has slowed, so maybe Tutu Pele is busy trying to make Hector go away. LOL

That's great to hear. It's been a little frustrating trying to keep tabs on this storm as Weather Underground was acting flaky earlier in the week and the regular news media were all "it's heading right at them!"
There were so many of them online, too! I was just trying to find recent updates and I was getting links to those crazy reports. Right now we don't even have a tropical storm warning. Hector was barely hanging on as a Cat 3 storm today at 11am my time.

I doubt it. Though the eruption has slowed, so maybe Tutu Pele is busy trying to make Hector go away. LOL

There were so many of them online, too! I was just trying to find recent updates and I was getting links to those crazy reports. Right now we don't even have a tropical storm warning. Hector was barely hanging on as a Cat 3 storm today at 11am my time.
It's weird to me that the Central Pacific Hurricane center doesn't generate the same tracking maps that the National Hurricane Center does.

Fuck, the smoke has finally abated here. Having the worst air quality on Earth last week was not ideal.

Eat shit west coast, you get the air quality woes now.

So it looks like there is a slight possibility that this thing could make landfall in Honolulu. It shouldn't, but it could. We've got supplies, but need to get more drinking water and another bag of charcoal for the grill. The bathtubs will hold enough for other needs.

I'll freely admit we've had it easy this year, compared to last year's smoke levels, but I shouldn't've opened my big mouth last weekend when I told someone that, because it's so smokey out there right now that going to get the mail and coming back up single flight of outdoor stairs left me winded - and it's been a long time since I've been that out of shape.

Also, despite the headlines out there, this thing isn't going to be a Cat 5 storm when it comes near us. Oahu might see it as a Cat 1 or 2. That's bad enough, but not like a 5 would be.

Park your car somewhere high and dry. And tie down your patio furniture. Hopefully that will be the worst you face.
The good thing is that our area isn't prone to flooding and our garage is on a slight uphill slant. That said, the new car will be in the garage. The old one will be it's bad ass self braving the elements. Lily and I already started cleaning up the lanai. Just have to figure out what to do with the glass top patio table.

The good thing is that our area isn't prone to flooding and our garage is on a slight uphill slant. That said, the new car will be in the garage. The old one will be it's bad ass self braving the elements. Lily and I already started cleaning up the lanai. Just have to figure out what to do with the glass top patio table.
Is the glass removable? Could you just bring it in the house temporarily?

I'm sure this is probably the least of your worries, but it's stuff like this that came to my mind first during Sandy. Moving our glass-topped deck set into the garage and squeezing in the grill, rather than, "Am I going to have a house in 24 hours?".

No, it's not removable. And I really don't want it in my living room. We need to figure out how to fit it in the garage.
If the ceiling of the garage is high enough, and the car is a "car" not an "SUV" then throw a blanket on the roof, and flip the table so that the top glass surface is on the blanket. If you have the clearance, the table will be on top of the car, but you don't have to worry about the legs (or anything else) scratching up the car. Even with a blanket though, I wouldn't put the table on the car "right side up" as it'll probably still scratch from the legs.

About the only thing we don't have is charcoal for our grill. We have some, but not enough for more than a day or two of cooking. Other than that, we're ready. I just have to see how this is affecting my flight on Sunday.

Dave

Staff member
Better than, "Hey, there's a missile headed our way. You have 10 minutes to live. This is not a drill."

So we're still waiting. We've had a light sprinkles and winds are about 20 MPH. Lane's been downgraded to a Cat 1 storm, but is moving at a snail's pace.

Kids are bored. Aussie's bored. I'm working on things for work. *shrugs*

They keep changing the inland path of it - yesterday it was showing hitting me in Western KY as it goes as it was curving more over the Mississippi... I guess we'll have to see. Last year we had the rain remnants of 3 of the hurricanes go over us.

Looks like the cone of uncertainty has narrowed, and extreme Eastern LA -> Gulfport, AL is the predicted landfall zone. Here's hoping it's a quick and mild one.