Weird weather

My brother lived in Chicago for 10 years and talked about the 98/98 days, as in 98 degrees F, 98% humidity. I visited once during that. Holy hell.

My brother lived in Chicago for 10 years and talked about the 98/98 days, as in 98 degrees F, 98% humidity. I visited once during that. Holy hell.
It’s probably reasons like this that made people hate the word “moist” so much.

—Patrick

Speaking of excessive moisture...

Flash flooding in Michigan’s U.P.

The wife went to college in this town, so she’s been watching with interest.

Something similar happened near Sault Ste Marie about 5 years ago, too.

—Patrick
I went to school there, too, and have walked that road in the top picture many times (it's hard to see in the picture, but it's very steep). It's unreal. Houghton is just not a place you would expect to have flooding like this. They can deal with massive amounts of snow, but not this much rain.

GasBandit

Staff member
We're in the middle of a mild snap, if there is such a thing. It's been very pleasant the last week or two, and even the next 10 days on the forecast have the highs never going above 94, and some days dipping into the 80s! This is the life.

Still qualifies as "Weird," though.

We've had beautiful summer weather -just a tad too hot, in the 27-29°C - for the past two weeks, and no sign of stopping yet. Too dry for the crops, I guess, but otherwise perfect. I don't understand, this has never happened before. Normally we'd have a few days like this, then a thunderstorm. Definitely weird.

You should get the odometer up to 122,000, and the speed up to 122 as well.
Would be cooler (hotter?) at 128 F/128K miles/128 mph because then you'd have approximately 28 seconds to take the photo of all the numbers converging before the odometer changed (assuming the temperature remained constant, of course).
/computation nerd

Would be cooler (hotter?) at 128 F/128K miles/128 mph because then you'd have approximately 28 seconds to take the photo of all the numbers converging before the odometer changed (assuming the temperature remained constant, of course).
/computation nerd
I, for one, am curious what would happen at 88 mph. It's hot enough, the vehicle is probably already leaving a flame trail.

The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor in my HHR is located on the frame, right behind the bumper and right below the right headlight.

122F is probably more of a reflection of what the temperature of the road surface is than it is the actual air temperature.

Oh, by the way, it's still 106F outside as I type this at 9:30 PM AT.

Oh wow.

Haboob time.

Huge dust storm has just now been replaced by a driving thunderstorm where the rain's coming in at a 40-degree angle.

And we're in Dust Storm Warning until 4:15

Welp. That was interesting.

Sky started to get dark, then I got the Dust Storm Warning on my iPhone.

Then I looked outside, and the wind was blowing and the air was brown.

And then... the rain started.

I swear the rain was near parallel to the ground at times. The road in front of our place turned into a river, with the speed bumps turning into rapids.

I had to run out and close the windows and sunroof* of my car so the rain wouldn't come in, even though it was under the carport - because it was raining that hard.

Fortunately, all that happened was our recycling bins got blown into the backyard, and one of the bins on our patio blew over. Our porch got soaked, but everything was basically intact.

---
* - My sunroof was tilted open, not wide open - leaving your sunroof open like that? In Arizona? Are you nuts?

We're getting hit by a typhoon today. Work is letting out at 4pm, and we may get the day off tomorrow too.

This is not a good thing, by the way. Time off from typhoons means our workflow gets jumbled to hell and back in the days afterwards.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, so much for Texas's nice, mild summer. It got up to 98 today and tomorrow it's going to crack the hundreds for the first time this year. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

There is no rating to emote enough of what I'm feeling with you. Summer is in full force, won't get below 80 for the next couple of weeks.

Rain has gotten it down to mid-70s, but as soon as it stops it starts rising. Temps have been running 90-95 for the past two weeks, humidity has been anywhere between 45% and 95%. This morning's low was 79, with 80% humidity.

Welp, it happened. I was warned it would happen, and after the gawdawful heat we had this month, it happened.

A $250+ electric bill. :Leyla::Leyla::Leyla:

It is so damn cold in our house this morning. I feel like Bill Murray in Meatballs when he wakes up the first day and it's 43 degrees.