Weird weather

Yes I did.

And I had to look back at the photos I took of the snowstorm we had the day after we flew back from putting in the offer on our place, just to remind me why I live here.

Doesn't mean I can't say anything about it.

I just want to point out that this is in early April, when this is fairly warm, and the temperature in a shaded measurement stall. Temperatures on the track were over 27°C, and air feel even higher, which, while still not "sweltering" or "scorching" by any stretch of the imagination, is pretty warm.
It's currently 33°C (91F) in London.

We're in the middle of a mild snap, if there is such a thing. It's been very pleasant the last week or two, and even the next 10 days on the forecast have the highs never going above 94, and some days dipping into the 80s! This is the life.

Still qualifies as "Weird," though.
I blame this post for our current heat wave...

I just want to point out that this is in early April, when this is fairly warm, and the temperature in a shaded measurement stall. Temperatures on the track were over 27°C, and air feel even higher, which, while still not "sweltering" or "scorching" by any stretch of the imagination, is pretty warm.
It's currently 33°C (91F) in London.
It is normally 45f at the start of the Houston Marathon. I imagine April in London is as cool. So they were running in weather 25to30 degrees warmer than normal.

It is normally 45f at the start of the Houston Marathon. I imagine April in London is as cool. So they were running in weather 25to30 degrees warmer than normal.
Something like that. Our mental world map is a bit off, which means people don't realize that London, for example, is in a higher latitude than Quebec - even Winnipeg! Looking around, a city with roughly the same latitude is Calgary in Canada, or the southern reaches of Alaska. Having 76°F in Alaska in April would be cause for "wow, that's hot" comments, too.

Dave

Staff member
Right. Trying finding one any more. Unless you count guys in their parent's basement who haven't seen the light of day other than to shuffle off to the comic store while hissing angrily at the sun.

Dave

Staff member
We had a stretch of 90's & 100's here with dew points higher than Trump's IQ. But now we've gone back down to the 70's & 80's. Nights have been phenomenal.

Right. Trying finding one any more. Unless you count guys in their parent's basement who haven't seen the light of day other than to shuffle off to the comic store while hissing angrily at the sun.
That’s hardly a sacrifice. More like pruning.
My car's thermometer read 124 F.
Thanks to your avatar, I first read: “My cat’s thermometer...”

—Patrick

Y'know what? It's not as hot here as in Phoenix (well, durrr), but it's too bloody hot. It's now 30°C in the house, 36°C in the shade, 43-44°C in the sun, with no wind to speak of, a lot of moisture in the air, and very high air pressure. We're all suffocating. Please send help. Ughhhhh.

(in the 90s, a hundred, well over a hundred, for you weird folks out there)

We're heading for the hottest and driest July ever, depending on the storms that are supposed to come this weekend...

It's the moisture we really don't have here, obviously. Me, I just get freaked when the A/C doesn't seem to want to kick in.

I haven't checked the almanac for this month, but the temps are leaning towards the high side.

Oh, and for those of you who were worried: Nope, it was never too hot to fly out of Sky Harbor. (TL;DR - the whole thing was due to lower temperature regulations and weight issues that have since been changed.)

About three hours ago, I was washing up in the bathroom when I heard a large CLUNK and the wind blowing heavily against the side of the house. It was really odd, because it'd been basically clear all morning and afternoon.

I took a step outside to see if there was any damage to our place. Only thing was one of the palm fronds had literally snapped off at the stem and was hanging down. But then I turned and looked down the street to the East.

A piece of siding from what was someone's carport was flying in the air, circling around about fifty feet above the houses. There was all sorts of debris flying around down at the far end, by where we have our dumpsters.

Then came the WHAM! and a ZAP! sound. One of the pieces hit the power lines running along Broadway, outside our park.

We drove down there about an hour later (when the wind completely died down). There were pieces of aluminum siding and what was left of this home's carport strewn over the sides of the street.

And that's my first experience with a microburst in Arizona.

Now a Category 4 and taking a slightly more northern track. Fuck.
It was predicted to be going through an eyewall replacement cycle, so went down to a 3 yesterday, but sounds like it did indeed strengthen again. Hopefully, it'll hit a patch of dry air and reduce in intensity over the next two days before it reaches you.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hawaii-Keeping-Eye-Category-3-Hurricane-Hector

Should have better information tonight and tomorrow, "An Air Force hurricane hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate Hector on Monday afternoon, and the NOAA jet will fly a dropsonde mission around the storm on Monday evening."

It was predicted to be going through an eyewall replacement cycle, so went down to a 3 yesterday, but sounds like it did indeed strengthen again. Hopefully, it'll hit a patch of dry air and reduce in intensity over the next two days before it reaches you.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hawaii-Keeping-Eye-Category-3-Hurricane-Hector

Should have better information tonight and tomorrow, "An Air Force hurricane hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate Hector on Monday afternoon, and the NOAA jet will fly a dropsonde mission around the storm on Monday evening."
The models are all showing it going south of Oahu. We might get tropical storm weather, but not full on hurricane. So far at least.

Yeah, I’m glad. It’s at or near cat 5 now, though they’re expecting to lose intensity. Still worried it might change track, but the weather models are pretty good and none of them have it straying too close to the island.

Close enough to cause damage, but nothing like Puerto Rico... :(

Either way, stay safe!

An ice cube or a puddle. There is no in-between.
Funny you should say that. I would actually love it if that Hurricane bearing down on Wasabi was heading in the opposite direction. It'd mean rain in an area that desperately needs it.

First thunderstorm of the summer. Man, that feels good after the longest dry stretch in years and the hottest summer since 1947 so far.

First day of school is tomorrow. Rain is in the forecast. This may be fun taking the kiddos to and from school.

Yeah, I’m glad. It’s at or near cat 5 now, though they’re expecting to lose intensity. Still worried it might change track, but the weather models are pretty good and none of them have it straying too close to the island.

Close enough to cause damage, but nothing like Puerto Rico... :(

Either way, stay safe!
Headed south of the island chain in a westward direction. Down to a cat 3. I'm hoping for rain because we've had some nasty brush fires lately in western Oahu.